What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NAACP leader outed as white & doing Soul Man routine (1 Viewer)

http://m.spokesman.com/stories/2015/jun/11/board-member-had-longstanding-doubts-about-truthfu/

Meanwhile, an inquiry is being opened at Spokane City Hall, where Dolezal identified herself in her application to the Office of Police Ombudsman Commission as having several ethnic origins, including white, black and American Indian.
In recent days, questions have arisen about her background and her numerous complaints to police of harassment.
Police records say the initial package Dolezal reported receiving did not bear a date stamp or bar code, which Dolezal herself told police when she reported it. Investigators interviewed postal workers, who said it was either very unlikely or impossible that the package could have been processed through the post office, and that the only other alternative was that it had been put there by someone with a key.
Neumaier said he was suspicious of several incidents Dolezal reported in Coeur dAlene, including her discovery of a swastika on the door of the Human Rights Education Institute when the organizations security camera was mysteriously turned off.
In all of these incidents (she reported in Coeur dAlene), she was the sole witness to events that, when put under scrutiny, dont hold up, he said.
And this is the best part...
Eastern Washington University, where Dolezal was described by President Mary Cullinan in March as an inspiring role model for EWU students, moved to distance itself from the controversy Thursday. "At this time, its not appropriate for us to comment on a personal issue", said university spokesman Dave Meany.
I see. So it's a "personal issue" when a teacher falsifies documents, misrepresents her race on job applications, and is under investigation for reporting false hate crimes.

But when a Miami Principal places an 11 word comment on a website that in his opinion the cop in McKinney "acted appropriately" and "feared for his life", he is fired from his job before he gets to work the next day.

Last edited:
If someone committed a hate crime against her but she isn't really black, is it still a hate crime?

I mean there must be some objective way to determine if crime is an extra special worse crime other than what the person committing it was thinking at the time, right?

If the hypothetical perpetrator realized he no longer hates her because she is white now, should his sentence be reduced?

If someone committed a hate crime against her but she isn't really black, is it still a hate crime?

I mean there must be some objective way to determine if crime is an extra special worse crime other than what the person committing it was thinking at the time, right?

If the hypothetical perpetrator realized he no longer hates her because she is white now, should his sentence be reduced?
I know you are :fishing: , but I assume you know that hate crimes punish the intent of the actor. As a result, whether the victim is a member of the group that the actor intended to injure (i.e., the criminal was mistaken) seems like it should be irrelevant.

What if she self-identifies as a black woman? :shrug:
Then she is. Who are you to say if she is white or black? You can't judge.
Here's guessing the NAACP has no definition of who is appropriately "black" enough to head a chapter or be a member.

What's more they define themselves as representing "colored people" so it sounds like all one has to do to be a member or lead a chapter is have skin that in some way has "color."

I know you are :fishing: , but I assume you know that hate crimes punish the intent of the actor. As a result, whether the victim is a member of the group that the actor intended to injure (i.e., the criminal was mistaken) seems like it should be irrelevant.
I have heard, among the justifications for hate crime legislation, that the reason the penalties are enhanced is that it victimizes not just the direct victim, but also the group to which they belong.

Here's guessing the NAACP has no definition of who is appropriately "black" enough to head a chapter or be a member.

What's more they define themselves as representing "colored people" so it sounds like all one has to do to be a member or lead a chapter is have skin that in some way has "color."
http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/244797-naacp-chapter-president-disguised-herself-as-black

UPDATE, 12:00 p.m.: The NAACP has released the following statement concerning the Rachel Dolezal scandal:

For 106 years, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has held a long and proud tradition of receiving support from people of all faiths, races, colors and creeds.

NAACP Spokane Washington Branch President Rachel Dolezal is enduring a legal issue with her family, and we respect her privacy in this matter. Ones racial identity is not a qualifying criteria or disqualifying standard for NAACP leadership. The NAACP Alaska-Oregon-Washington State Conference stands behind Ms. Dolezals advocacy record. In every corner of this country, the NAACP remains committed to securing political, educational, and economic justice for all people, and we encourage Americans of all stripes to become members and serve as leaders in our organization. Hate language sent through mail and social media along with credible threats continue to be a serious issue for our units in the Pacific Northwest and across the nation. We take all threats seriously and encourage the FBI and the Department of Justice to fully investigate each occurrence.

My link

Not the same thing
Why?

If someone self-identifies as african-american, just feels as though they're African-American even though their genetics and physical make-up are in opposition to that feeling yet they still identify themselves AS african american and demand both your recommendation and accommodation based on nothing more than what is in their own mind, their own personal truth.... how, logically, is that different than the argument made by a trans gender?

My link
Ha ok thank you, that should solve that. What's all the hubbub, bub.

Not the same thing
Why?

If someone self-identifies as african-american, just feels as though they're African-American even though their genetics and physical make-up are in opposition to that feeling yet they still identify themselves AS african american and demand both your recommendation and accommodation based on nothing more than what is in their own mind, their own personal truth.... how, logically, is that different than the argument made by a trans gender?
But that's not what this woman is doing. She is portraying herself as being physically "black" when she isn't. Nor is there anything to suggest that she should identify as being AA "culturally".

This isn't a Bruce Jenner situation. This is more like a Bosom Buddies deal.

This is all so confusing. Can someone please tell me if I am outraged or not?
if you really dislike Caitlyn Jenner OR if you think white people are victims OR if you listen to Rush Limbaugh then you are outraged.
:confused:

I see all the conservatives on this site and other sites laughing their ase off. No outrage.

I would think it would be the opposite. Some people on the Left and some African-Americans might be outraged over a white lady pretending to be black because the appearance she took on is kind of the equivalent of donning blackface.

if you really dislike Caitlyn Jenner OR if you think white people are victims OR if you listen to Rush Limbaugh then you are outraged.

I see all the conservatives on this site and other sites laughing their ase off. No outrage.

I would think it would be the opposite. Some people on the Left and some African-Americans might be outraged over a white lady pretending to be black because the appearance she took on is kind of the equivalent of donning blackface.
I'm far from an expert on the subject, but there's some overlap between black twitter and NBA twitter and from what I could tell last night black twitter thought it was ####ing hilarious. Or at least the people who talk about the NBA a lot thought that. :shrug:

Not the same thing
Why?

But that's not what this woman is doing. She is portraying herself as being physically "black" when she isn't. Nor is there anything to suggest that she should identify as being AA "culturally". This isn't a Bruce Jenner situation. This is more like a Bosom Buddies deal.
So far you're right. But why would she physically represent herself as black if she didn't self-identify as black? To get a job?

Last edited:
Not the same thing
Why?

But that's not what this woman is doing. She is portraying herself as being physically "black" when she isn't. Nor is there anything to suggest that she should identify as being AA "culturally". This isn't a Bruce Jenner situation. This is more like a Bosom Buddies deal.
So far you're right. But why would she physically represent herself as black if she didn't self-identify as black? To get a job?
Maybe.

Maybe she's just nuts.

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but there's some overlap between black twitter and NBA twitter and from what I could tell last night black twitter thought it was ####ing hilarious. Or at least the people who talk about the NBA a lot thought that. :shrug:
Yeah, I haven't seen any outrage over this, and I've seen plenty of black people online laughing their ase off too. Finding this story hilarious seems to be universal.

I'm just saying that if someone were to be offended or outraged, I'd imagine there's a greater chance that person is black or Liberal than white or Conservative.

This reminds me, when I was in college, I was THIS close to convincing a girl I was black. She was a white girl who, in her words, "only dates black guys." (college was the best; I miss it so). I had her convinced that my father was black, and my mom was white, and my little brother just got all the melanin in our family. It wasn't until my roommate walked in on us making out that he got to the bottom of the story and busted my charade. (only in college was it completely acceptable to c*ockblock your buddy, and you could all laugh hysterically over it. Have I mentioned that I miss college?).

It worked for Elizabeth Warren. :shrug:
Fauxcahontas?Seriously, this is the ugly byproduct of identity politics.
Don't overthink it. It's not anything, other than hilarious. If your reaction to this story is anything other than laughter you're doing it wrong.
I think analyzing the "why" behind her charade is a very interesting topic.
:goodposting: Story is funny, the reason behind it isn't.

Yeah, I haven't seen any outrage over this, and I've seen plenty of black people online laughing their ase off too. Finding this story hilarious seems to be universal.

I'm just saying that if someone were to be offended or outraged, I'd imagine there's a greater chance that person is black or Liberal than white or Conservative.
Could this be the link where left and right, black and white,and NBA fans and non-NBA fans all come together?

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/244797-naacp-chapter-president-disguised-herself-as-black

UPDATE, 12:00 p.m.: The NAACP has released the following statement concerning the Rachel Dolezal scandal:

For 106 years, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People has held a long and proud tradition of receiving support from people of all faiths, races, colors and creeds.

NAACP Spokane Washington Branch President Rachel Dolezal is enduring a legal issue with her family, and we respect her privacy in this matter. Ones racial identity is not a qualifying criteria or disqualifying standard for NAACP leadership. The NAACP Alaska-Oregon-Washington State Conference stands behind Ms. Dolezals advocacy record. In every corner of this country, the NAACP remains committed to securing political, educational, and economic justice for all people, and we encourage Americans of all stripes to become members and serve as leaders in our organization. Hate language sent through mail and social media along with credible threats continue to be a serious issue for our units in the Pacific Northwest and across the nation. We take all threats seriously and encourage the FBI and the Department of Justice to fully investigate each occurrence.
The NAACP is in a tough position here.

On one hand, it might look racist if they get rid of the white lady, and since the NAACP is supposed to be against racism that would reflect poorly on them.

On the other hand, this lady is clearly crazy, has been lying to all her coworkers, and has potentially placed her NAACP chapter in legal trouble with her hoaxes. So they should get rid of her because she's not competent to lead.

I imagine that the NAACP gives it some time for the media fervor to blow over and then they jettison her.

Users who are viewing this thread