What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Name Players Maybe Worth Not Rostering - Was: Stud Name, But Got to Go! (2 Viewers)

The difference is that other teams will want the name player because of their name.  That has a value over the waiver wire fodder with similar stats.  Even if it is to improve at kicker or defense or backup qb or ????  The name has a value over waiver wire fodder (even if the name is performing like waiver wire fodder).  Find the guy willing to take a chance.  Someone will be out there.

The OP is in frustration drop mode.  Player A has wronged me and I am sick of looking at that guy on my bench or putting him in my lineup.  That is not a way to consistently win.  It may work out occasionally, but is not the best way to manage. 
1.  What about no-trade leagues?  Half of my leagues don't allow trades.  And in some leagues, the trade deadline just passed (one of my leagues uses the real nfl trade deadline date).  I do agree that looking to trade for someone.... anyone... is probably the answer here, but sometimes there's reasons you can't trade a guy. 

2.  Agree here.  At first I thought he just threw the names in as examples but that he was actually curious on the topic.  However, based on reading his Anti-Allen and Anti-Adams rants in their own player threads, seems like he did in fact create this because he's in frustration-drop-mode and wants some validation to either himself or those in the other threads who are questioning his take on dropping them.

1.  What about no-trade leagues?  Half of my leagues don't allow trades.  And in some leagues, the trade deadline just passed (one of my leagues uses the real nfl trade deadline date).  I do agree that looking to trade for someone.... anyone... is probably the answer here, but sometimes there's reasons you can't trade a guy. 
First....get out of any league that doesn't allow trades.  It's one of the best parts of FF...hahahaha

There are always exceptions.  Of course, if you legally cannot trade a player than that changes the equation and the answers.  In that instance, sometimes it can be addition by subtraction (which would be the same as giving him away in a trade for a kicker).  I just still think that for proven players they deserve the benefit of doubt unless something tangible changed causing the downturn in performance.  Stash on the bench and drop someone with similar stats and without the track record.  You don't really lose anything and if history turns around you still have your top 10 guy instead of facing him in the playoffs.  There is nothing that says you have to play an underperforming superstar.  Having them on your bench waiting for them to turn it around is the same as having a no-name player on your bench that is performing similarly.  You just have the pedigree that the name player has done it before. 

First....get out of any league that doesn't allow trades.  It's one of the best parts of FF...hahahaha

There are always exceptions.  Of course, if you legally cannot trade a player than that changes the equation and the answers.  In that instance, sometimes it can be addition by subtraction (which would be the same as giving him away in a trade for a kicker).  I just still think that for proven players they deserve the benefit of doubt unless something tangible changed causing the downturn in performance.  Stash on the bench and drop someone with similar stats and without the track record.  You don't really lose anything and if history turns around you still have your top 10 guy instead of facing him in the playoffs.  There is nothing that says you have to play an underperforming superstar.  Having them on your bench waiting for them to turn it around is the same as having a no-name player on your bench that is performing similarly.  You just have the pedigree that the name player has done it before. 
Trades can often just cause huge issues, disagreements, arguments, collusion and/or people calling it collusion, etc.  Most leagues that aren't friends leagues don't allow trades.  Or they shouldn't allow them anyways.

Agree there are so many factors here.  Some benches are 4 spots, some are 10.  Some leagues allow trading today, some don't.  In a league with 4 bench spots and that's passed the trade deadline, I don't think dropping Allen would be crazy if you have some good WR's.  Context is needed here.

Again, OP totally derailed the convo by including those players' names and saying that they were on his team. 

Has he though?  I think that's kind of the OP's point, that we assume these big name players are great when they aren't playing like it.  Rivers looks toast and Allen has been miserable since that big 3 week stretch to start the season.  He is WR57 in ppg since week 4.  Even if you're holding him you can't start him right now.  So what will probably happen is at some point he'll finally have a big game, on your bench, and then you'll chase those points by starting him next week only to have him put another 2/17 performance in your lineup.
I think you are hitting on my point (and I did say I wasn't close on following this one). It sounds like you are of the opinion that something has changed from past history and that it is Rivers is regressing. That could be at his age? I then went and looked at his stats and he is on pace for 21 td when he has been averaging roughly 30. His yardage total seems to be about normal. If you believe his mid season low TD total is a trend to continue then he could be a stud to drop? 

My point I was trying to make was to look deeper into what you feel is driving the downturn to help make the choice. It's not digging very deep to say a player has been great for 3 years but has had 5 under performing weeks. There is also enough evidence to say Rivers shouldn't be at the point where he is having an age regression. 

In the case of Adams and Allen I would not cut Adams and I would still have a hard time cutting Allen because I believe yet.

Is discussing those players because no one wants to bring up others a bad thing?

Are we trying to frown on discussion? I started the thread, I mentioned those players, I am also talking Mixon.

Bring up more as I am begging everyone to so we can discuss them. 
Discussing those players is fine.  All I'm saying is that even if your purpose was to not have it about your team, you made it about your team by putting it in the OP.   That's like starting off a Brady discussion by saying "I'm a Bills fan and hate Brady, but I'd like to have an unbiased discussion about Brady".  You're shooting yourself in the foot when you say how YOU want to drop these players, as people are going to start wondering what the rest of YOUR roster looks like.

A few points.

1. This can be a good topic. The "when is a 'name' guy not worth hanging onto"? question is one we all face. 

2. Do not make this about your team. That's for the Assistant Coach forum. Keep this relevant to fantasy football in general. 

3. The bottom line question for me is this boils down to a "Where does he rank for the rest of the season?" question. That's probably the most important thing to know for every player.

Footballguys Premium Subscribers get a detailed breakdown answering that every Tuesday here Rest Of Season Rank. I't's even specific to your exact scoring system.  If you're not subscribing, you should be ;)  

Get it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
We talk about who we need to scoop, but who are some big names that need to go. Who are people who you dont think should be cut, but are not of any use?

I have D. Adams and K. Allen, debating which one to cut for Singletary. Not asking advice but by Wednesday one will be cut and my team wont be any worse off for it and may improve.  We are in a fantasy world where sometimes names keep us from making otherwise easy choices. 

Who are the big names we should cut bait with?
I thought the same thing about Mike Evans early in the season.  

But sometimes holding is the right thing to do. 

A few points.

1. This can be a good topic. The "when is a 'name' guy not worth hanging onto"? question is one we all face. 

2. Do not make this about your team. That's for the Assistant Coach forum. Keep this relevant to fantasy football in general. 

3. The bottom line question for me is this boils down to a "Where does he rank for the rest of the season?" question. That's probably the most important thing to know for every player.

Footballguys Premium Subscribers get a detailed breakdown answering that every Tuesday here https://subscribers.footballguys.com/myfbg/mydraftlisti.php?oproj=53&kproj=2&dproj=2&viewpos=all&week=10&profile=p . Even specific to your exact scoring system.  If you're not subscribing, you should be ;)  

Get it here.
I love the custom 200 fwd.  Just waiting for Dodds to get his numbers in there today!

Yup. I'm convinced knowing when to ride out a rough streak and when to bail is one of the most important skills Fantasy Football GMs can have. 

Coupled with, "Is this guy for real or a fluke?", it's basically what we try to answer every week for our people. 

Even selling these names for pennies on the dollar is better than dropping them for nothing out of the shear possibility they return to form and carry a team through the playoffs. 
I share this conclusion. 

Yup. I'm convinced knowing when to ride out a rough streak and when to bail is one of the most important skills Fantasy Football GMs can have.
this. Especially when it’s an injury-related scenario. A hurt player doesn’t suck, they just can’t produce when they’re hurt. Seems like when they get healthy again is the time patient owners will then be rewarded for holding so the timing is way off as well: 

i feel like y’all need a “don’t jump!” forum for FF managers standing out on that ledge. The overreactions are sometimes incredible around here.

When Adams was first injured there was talk of it being career threatening, missing ROS, all before a team update or MRI result. there have actually been players who produced well while battling turf toe. 

Same thing happened this year with Tyreek Hill & Amari Cooper.

i was offered sooooooooo many lowball deals for all 3 of those players while they were hurt. I stuck to my guns and now (knock on wood) have the best WR corps in my 12-teamer.

As a commissioner I hate seeing underperforming top names dropped, as that can have league-shifting ramifications. Being able to pick up an Adams or Mixon (using names from this topic) for free before the stretch run has potential for creating a huge imbalance in any league. At least make your opponents pay for the assets.  :shrug:  

I used Mike Evans slump (and the Evans owner complaining that Godwin was the real WR1 now) to swoop in & buy low. 

i still paid a decent price since it’s a dynasty format, but yeah - that owner is probably not as thrilled with the trade as I am. 

I used to hate trading. This year I’ve made like 9 trades in Dynasty & 2 in my redraft. I agree - I couldn’t play in a no-trade league. 

this is the 1st I’ve heard of a league that didn’t allow trades, actually. I didn't know that was a thing. 

apologies to OP if they’re in a no-trade league - I hadn’t even considered that as a possibility. I still wouldn’t drop either of those players for reasons given, but yeah. 

FreeBaGeL said:
Has he though?  I think that's kind of the OP's point, that we assume these big name players are great when they aren't playing like it.  Rivers looks toast and Allen has been miserable since that big 3 week stretch to start the season.  He is WR57 in ppg since week 4.  Even if you're holding him you can't start him right now.  So what will probably happen is at some point he'll finally have a big game, on your bench, and then you'll chase those points by starting him next week only to have him put another 2/17 performance in your lineup.
That’s been Keenan Allen’s last several years though. His draft day price had that factored in. He’s still the top target on what’s a pass first offense who’s just now figuring out how to cope with their OL woes.

they looked better against the Packers than they have in weeks, and Packers defense / pass rush is fairly decent. 

If I were forced to bet, I’d be betting that Allen will have some monster games down the stretch.  What people always complain about with Allen (and volatile  players like him) is that he puts up middling numbers in their lineup,  then blows up on their bench when they got tired of the middling numbers in the lineup. 

if you keep plugging that player in, you’ll get the highs as well as the lows. If you follow Allen’s history, this is basically the same pattern he’s had for years. So is Allen a bad FF asset or is that poor roster management?

After experiencing the Allen roller coaster for years I opted to avoid it altogether this year. And even that strategy failed me because I got hit with numerous injuries.

But Allen can still be a league winner. There could be a couple 30-40 point outbursts over the next 7 weeks. The question is whether your overall team was strong enough to win without consistency from him to get you to the playoffs, and whether the timing of his big games coincides with your need for them. 

i still don’t see him as a “droppable big name”.  

for that I look at guys like Cam Newton or as someone else mentioned, Cooks. Big name players who have season threatening injuries, or older “big name” players who aren’t likely to have that one last magical season. Or overhyped guys like Baker Mayfield, who on paper sounded like a breakout season was coming (OBJ, Landry, strong rookie year) but are dramatically underachieving.

its an interesting topic & question for sure. But I think it’s important and valuable as a community to clarify / define who the droppable assets are & it should be perfectly ok to engage in debate over whether those assessments are true or not.  

That’s been Keenan Allen’s last several years though. His draft day price had that factored in. He’s still the top target on what’s a pass first offense who’s just now figuring out how to cope with their OL woes.

they looked better against the Packers than they have in weeks, and Packers defense / pass rush is fairly decent. 

If I were forced to bet, I’d be betting that Allen will have some monster games down the stretch.  What people always complain about with Allen (and volatile  players like him) is that he puts up middling numbers in their lineup,  then blows up on their bench when they got tired of the middling numbers in the lineup. 

if you keep plugging that player in, you’ll get the highs as well as the lows. If you follow Allen’s history, this is basically the same pattern he’s had for years. So is Allen a bad FF asset or is that poor roster management?

After experiencing the Allen roller coaster for years I opted to avoid it altogether this year. And even that strategy failed me because I got hit with numerous injuries.

But Allen can still be a league winner. There could be a couple 30-40 point outbursts over the next 7 weeks. The question is whether your overall team was strong enough to win without consistency from him to get you to the playoffs, and whether the timing of his big games coincides with your need for them. 

i still don’t see him as a “droppable big name”.  

for that I look at guys like Cam Newton or as someone else mentioned, Cooks. Big name players who have season threatening injuries, or older “big name” players who aren’t likely to have that one last magical season. Or overhyped guys like Baker Mayfield, who on paper sounded like a breakout season was coming (OBJ, Landry, strong rookie year) but are dramatically underachieving.

its an interesting topic & question for sure. But I think it’s important and valuable as a community to clarify / define who the droppable assets are & it should be perfectly ok to engage in debate over whether those assessments are true or not.  
This is it, exactly. Keenan always starts out slow. Always. He's on pace for 96-1170-6. I don't understand why he's even in the conversation.

Man, that is one timely and well done subscription plug. [tips_cap]

On topic:

Defining a player as a stud means they are an established, reliable scorer for FF teams. Any player that has that label to start the season is not a candidate to be cut. Period. You ride out the down time (possibly by benching) or you trade low. This makes it very rare that a true stud would reach the status of "got to go" in the same season. 

I think that's what lead this thread to the place it went. 

A discussion about a "stud" being more "name" than stud is much different, to my mind. Allen & Adams are still studs in my mind, and target numbers look like good evidence to support that. Dropping either is feeding another team a potential ROS stud while removing one from your own lineup.

Joe Bryant said:

Coupled with, "Is this guy for real or a fluke?", it's basically what we try to answer every week for our people. 
How long is a rough streak in a fantasy regular season of 13 games. Thats a question that matters and 6-7 games in a row for any player is approaching halfway mark. 

Defining a player as a stud means they are an established, reliable scorer for FF teams.
That’s exactly it. I’m not sure what a stud in name only is, unless we’re talking about a past their prime player. 

what led me to initially react as I did in here was in part having just read OP’s posts in the D.Adams topic redefining whether or not Adams is actually a stud based on a 10-game sample size, 4 of which he missed with injury,  & 2 of which he produced as a WR1. 

if no names had been mentioned in the OP, and had this not appeared to be a continuation of what I read as a misleading premise, I probably would have responded much differently. 

Any player that has that label to start the season is not a candidate to be cut. Period. You ride out the down time (possibly by benching) or you trade low. This makes it very rare that a true stud would reach the status of "got to go" in the same season. 

A discussion about a "stud" being more "name" than stud is much different, to my mind. Allen & Adams are still studs in my mind, and target numbers look like good evidence to support that. Dropping either is feeding another team a potential ROS stud while removing one from your own lineup.
Agreed, with the caveat for hurt players with poor prognosis of return, or aging players who are not producing as their name/history would otherwise indicate.

i think the poster child of this topic premise might be Larry Fitzgerald, who was likely drafted as a WR3, started the season as a rock solid WR2, yet has been criminally ignored for 3 straight games. 

i packaged him into a trade in dynasty to a WR-needy team rather than drop him,  but I wouldn’t fault anyone for considering that former “stud” to be droppable. 

there are probably other players that fit that mold, but in large I agree with your post. 

Man, that is one timely and well done subscription plug. [tips_cap]

On topic:

Defining a player as a stud means they are an established, reliable scorer for FF teams. Any player that has that label to start the season is not a candidate to be cut. Period. You ride out the down time (possibly by benching) or you trade low. This makes it very rare that a true stud would reach the status of "got to go" in the same season. 

With all due respect, this is why I started the thread.

The taboo theory that you have to ride out studs, people believe that because it gives them cover if it dont go well. 

ITS JUST WRONG. 

Gotta start your studs, cant cut him, play the matchups. All rhetoric which means nothing. I get the skill in everyone and the know how wants to see targets and say that player cant be cut, but maybe the points are so low thats exactly why a stud should be cut. 

What excuse does anyone have for rostering sony michel in redraft? 4 carries? But he is a patriot on a good offense with Tom Brady as his QB. You can do the spin all you want but at the end of the day, the points are what speaks. 

How long is a rough streak in a fantasy regular season of 13 games. Thats a question that matters and 6-7 games in a row for any player is approaching halfway mark. 
It varies depending on context, in my opinion. 

if the specific player is injured, then I ignore the entire duration of time missed in that evaluation. What’s left for your Adams example are 6 games to draw data from. 

then I consider % of snaps, and targets vs production.

Someone like Adams had a sizable target share, even if the production wasn’t there.

and in 2/6 games he produced WR1 numbers.  That’s not too far off of other “stud” WRs. They aren’t all Tyler Lockett with incredible weekly consistency. And ironically, Lockett turned out to be one of this years best values due to the perception that he wouldn’t be consistent because his efficiency was unsustainable. so he fell in drafts to the 4-6 round range. 

other peripheral factors might come into play, like at QB. I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Tyreek Hill’s production without Mahomes. I’d say that was unexpected. But if Hill slumped for the 2-4 weeks Mahomes misses I certainly wouldn’t drop him or redefine him as not a “stud”. 

With all due respect, this is why I started the thread.

The taboo theory that you have to ride out studs, people believe that because it gives them cover if it dont go well. 

ITS JUST WRONG. 

I mean; that’s an opinion, not a fact.  :unsure:

kinda seems like that’s debatable. 

Gotta start your studs, cant cut him, play the matchups. All rhetoric which means nothing. I get the skill in everyone and the know how wants to see targets and say that player cant be cut, but maybe the points are so low thats exactly why a stud should be cut. 
by in large, those “big picture” cliche philosophies have become synonymous with good roster management because over a large sample size, decades of experience; they’ve proven to be effective. 

but like the man says, you can have the best team and the best management & still have them all lay an egg when you need it the most. 

so understanding that there are ebbs & flows to the game, we apply the most general knowledge we have to make quality draft decisions, in-season management & even decisions on when to give up on a player or invest in a slumping player. 

In very small sample sizes, like 1 game, or even 1 season; these might not prove effective or accurate. But in the big picture they usually pan out. 

What excuse does anyone have for rostering sony michel in redraft? 4 carries? But he is a patriot on a good offense with Tom Brady as his QB. You can do the spin all you want but at the end of the day, the points are what speaks. 
You’re using a 1-game sample size from a game that went south for the Pats from the 1st series to make a case to drop a running back on a top offense who gets GL carries & averaged 17.5 carries a game, including that stinker. 

there’s no excuse needed - Sony Michele is a pretty obvious hold outside the shallowest of leagues. 

Maybe he sucks the rest of the year - maybe they just stop using him other than 4 touches a game. that’s possible.  But it’s highly unlikely IMO, and certainly nothing to drop him for right now based on 1 game. 

It was a negative game script and Sony isn't used as a pass catcher.  I think that game is easily explainable and no reason to abandon ship.  The Pats have plenty of easy matchups down the stretch that will give Sony plenty of opportunity to put up quality numbers.  One game is not a trend especially when it obvious as to why the lack of usage occurred. 

I feel like Adams is a pretty big name to be on a list like this...I think this is a good thread in regards to names like Joe Mixon (because you aren't getting much for him in a trade), Adrian Peterson, Damien Williams, Mike Williams, Alshon Jeffrey, Calvin Ridley, etc

I feel like Adams is a pretty big name to be on a list like this...I think this is a good thread in regards to names like Joe Mixon (because you aren't getting much for him in a trade), Adrian Peterson, Damien Williams, Mike Williams, Alshon Jeffrey, Calvin Ridley, etc
Didn’t AP just have a 100+ yard game on double digit carries? 

considering his dirt cheap draft price, he’s been an awfully useful FF asset & hardly someone I’d be dropping. 

Williams had a pretty decent game against the Packer, too. And wasn’t he hurt early? I know that whole offense suffered from the OL issues. Also not a guy I’d consider dropping. 

I don’t really consider Jeffery or Ridley “studs” - one is inconsistent & often injured WR2, and the other lacks the track record of studliness. 

Williams isn’t a stud either, but dropping a dude after he just scored a 90 yard TD seems questionable too. Why not trade that guy selling high? 

:shrug:

Didn’t AP just have a 100+ yard game on double digit carries? 

considering his dirt cheap draft price, he’s been an awfully useful FF asset & hardly someone I’d be dropping. 

Williams had a pretty decent game against the Packer, too. And wasn’t he hurt early? I know that whole offense suffered from the OL issues. Also not a guy I’d consider dropping. 

I don’t really consider Jeffery or Ridley “studs” - one is inconsistent & often injured WR2, and the other lacks the track record of studliness. 

Williams isn’t a stud either, but dropping a dude after he just scored a 90 yard TD seems questionable too. Why not trade that guy selling high? 

:shrug:
Well then the idea of this thread just doesn't work. The argument collapses on itself if you can just say "why not try trading?" to everybody. 

As I mentioned in another thread on this topic with the OP, I will consider benching Allen if he doesn't have a decent game against the weak Raiders D this week   That secondary has been shaky all year and Rivers will have time to throw since the Raiders have little pass rush.   

The thread isn't a bad idea but we all play in different leagues with various benches and scoring.   Seems like these rarely go well but I'm going to play along.  

Im going to drop McCoy this week.   That's a big name that has little value to me.   With Guice coming back, maybe AP can be dropped.   That's a big name that has performed well on a bad team.   

Well then the idea of this thread just doesn't work. The argument collapses on itself if you can just say "why not try trading?" to everybody. 
Exactly correct. It also assumes others want the player or that the league is highly active in trading. Everyone can see the stats, its no secret of players who are not doing well.

The point is, so called "Studs" who have got to go from your team. I dont believe you mentioned any studs and have seen most of them cut across some league this season. Adams is borderline as I said in my OP, but he isnt uncutable just because his name in my eyes. 

Exactly correct. It also assumes others want the player or that the league is highly active in trading. Everyone can see the stats, its no secret of players who are not doing well.
But the players I specified were doing well.

and others listed aren’t “studs”. 

part of the problem is that “stud” is not a mutually agreed upon definition, and those players universally known as studs can be traded. 

The thread isn't a bad idea but we all play in different leagues with various benches and scoring.   Seems like these rarely go well but I'm going to play along.  

Im going to drop McCoy this week.   That's a big name that has little value to me.   With Guice coming back, maybe AP can be dropped.   That's a big name that has performed well on a bad team.   
They dont go well because a lot of people like to assume the play your studs and they cant be cut, the reason they think this is the exact ridicule you get in thread like this across your league with friends. Its taboo, and this thread is why. Look at the assault one gets for the suggestion. This thread should be deleted blah blah blah. 

But the players I specified were doing well.

and others listed aren’t “studs”. 

part of the problem is that “stud” is not a mutually agreed upon definition, and those players universally known as studs can be traded. 
For a guy who liked the post that this thread is awful and should be deleted, you have made more comments in this thread than I. 

No one is disputing they can be traded, the dispute is if they are able in the type of leagues and the league trade activity. You are doing a lot of assuming of leagues set up when the players and if they are droppable is discussion. Side note, it has been said by some including me trading has been attempted. 

But have you even gave us any player yet through all of your comments a player who has a name your willing to cut or are you the cliche you value names over points?

They dont go well because a lot of people like to assume the play your studs and they cant be cut, the reason they think this is the exact ridicule you get in thread like this across your league with friends. Its taboo, and this thread is why. Look at the assault one gets for the suggestion. This thread should be deleted blah blah blah. 
Much of the discussion in this thread is that you shouldn't just drop these guys as they have value due to their name.  You should be able to trade them for at least an upgrade at kicker or defense if nothing else.  Many of the reasons have been outlined.  You listed a couple of names that you are cutting and many people offered up reasons and approaches as to why you shouldn't.  I am not sure how providing reasons or suggestions is considered ridicule by you.

Much of the discussion in this thread is that you shouldn't just drop these guys as they have value due to their name.  You should be able to trade them for at least an upgrade at kicker or defense if nothing else.  Many of the reasons have been outlined.  You listed a couple of names that you are cutting and many people offered up reasons and approaches as to why you shouldn't.  I am not sure how providing reasons or suggestions is considered ridicule by you.
I have been called a guppy, thats not ridicule? Come on. lol Moving on to your point. Will people stop assuming trading in league are easy? Also, can we stop saying if you cant trade dont play in leagues. Thats literally defeating the purpose of my first question. Which players with big names are able to be cut. 

Why is everyone assuming people just  are begging for big name players who are under performing as if they cant read his stat lines and see the trend? 

People are doing their own interpretations, again, just assuming players are not droppable which is the point of why people refuse to cut big names and continue taking low points or wasted roster spot. 

But have you even gave us any player yet through all of your comments a player who has a name your willing to cut or are you the cliche you value names over points?
Yes, several. Larry Fitzgerald 

Cam Newton (before it was announced he was IR’d.

couple others. 

putting you on ignore. I tried engaging thoughtfully. I don’t see how this sort of dialogue is productive. 

There are no "studs" that should be dropped unless they are on IR. There are a group of "bigger named" players that could be dropped but aren't studs. All of these players should be attempted to be traded. If there are players on your waivers that are performing better then feel free to pick them up.

I have been called a guppy, thats not ridicule? Come on. lol Moving on to your point. Will people stop assuming trading in league are easy? Also, can we stop saying if you cant trade dont play in leagues. Thats literally defeating the purpose of my first question. Which players with big names are able to be cut. 

Why is everyone assuming people just  are begging for big name players who are under performing as if they cant read his stat lines and see the trend? 

People are doing their own interpretations, again, just assuming players are not droppable which is the point of why people refuse to cut big names and continue taking low points or wasted roster spot. 
Many of the posts are referring to trading these name players for pennies on the dollar.  Something like trading Allen for a kicker.  In any league I have ever been in a player like Allen could easily be moved for a kicker or defense.  At least one team would see the worth in doing that. 

I am not saying anything close to trading an underperforming player for close to name value is easy.  That is far from it.  I couldn't even trade Hopkins in a dynasty league a couple weeks ago for Chark straight up (not that I was going to put the Chark owner said he wouldn't trade him for Hopkins straight up when I inquired).  Trading star players that are underperforming is not easy if you are trying to get close to value.  However, moving them for something, anything....is doable if you try.

Most of the responses in here are stating their opinion that those players are not droppable.  How they go about saying that has varied.  Some give ideas and some go the ridicule route.  I see plenty trying to give reasons not to.  Any player is droppable under certain circumstances.  For the examples given, I wouldn't just drop them.  I would rather hold on my bench than replace with some unproven guy with similar current stats because I believe there is a greater chance these guys will get back to form than a waiver fodder guy stepping up and performing better than they ever have.  For a bench guy I would rather have the proven upside.

Last warning. Keep this 100% about football. I won't ask a third time.

If what you've typed is about other posters and not NFL players, don't post it. 

Many of the posts are referring to trading these name players for pennies on the dollar.  Something like trading Allen for a kicker.  In any league I have ever been in a player like Allen could easily be moved for a kicker or defense.  At least one team would see the worth in doing that. 

I am not saying anything close to trading an underperforming player for close to name value is easy.  That is far from it.  I couldn't even trade Hopkins in a dynasty league a couple weeks ago for Chark straight up (not that I was going to put the Chark owner said he wouldn't trade him for Hopkins straight up when I inquired).  Trading star players that are underperforming is not easy if you are trying to get close to value.  However, moving them for something, anything....is doable if you try.

Most of the responses in here are stating their opinion that those players are not droppable.  How they go about saying that has varied.  Some give ideas and some go the ridicule route.  I see plenty trying to give reasons not to.  Any player is droppable under certain circumstances.  For the examples given, I wouldn't just drop them.  I would rather hold on my bench than replace with some unproven guy with similar current stats because I believe there is a greater chance these guys will get back to form than a waiver fodder guy stepping up and performing better than they ever have.  For a bench guy I would rather have the proven upside.
You make excellent points all around.

The context of the original post was dropping “stud“ players with names like Devante Adams and Keenan Allen given as examples of those.

It sounds like most here agree those weren’t great examples, as of them was under-performing and then got hurt, and the other is notoriously inconsistent.

Personally, I couldn’t see trading either of those players for a kicker or defense. As you suggested, I would always prefer to bench a top pick until they “get right“ and based on the track record of success they’ve had in the past (a record that tells me they are likely to do so at some point) or alternatively, it’s probably smart to hold on a player who is under-performing or was hurt until they come back.

Maybe it’s smart to bench them for one game to make sure they’re truly healthy if you’re particularly risk averse, but I certainly wouldn’t drop that player if they were on their way back.

And perhaps I’ve misunderstood the context, but from the original post and subsequent posts it sure sounds like attempting to re-define which players are truly studs as opposed to us fantasy managers blindly/incorrectly buying into those perceptions....Which seems like an entirely different topic than whether or not to drop an under-performing top player. 

TL:DR, is always rather bench a top player than trade them, and I’d always rather trade them than drop them. And a sometimes I just come to terms with the fact that maybe I made a bad pick and take my lumps.  It is what it is. 

What kind of roster and league has singletary on the waiver wire and Adams and Allen as the only two reasonable options an owner can see as far as who to drop?  Just trying to back into this thing here because I can't make it make sense the traditional way.

To answer the question/discussion-. I DO see the reason to go after Singletary. These are moves that win leagues when you get the right riser at the right time.  But I can not see doing it at the same of Adams.  He is a legit top wr in ff and if you held him this long, you're losing out on the return (finally) and you likely held him this long because deep down you know the return possibility.  

Allen is slightly different. If you played against him in week 3 you clearly understand how he can win your week (or beat you).  He can do that at any time.  But he hasn't this year and the chargers are just having one of those years.   A new coordinator last week and they won without relying heavily on him also bodes against him.  If you're not in a dynasty, you might be able to roll the dice on this one and win but with that being said, I still wouldn't drop him.

If your roster is THAT tight, I'd almost risk dropping my backup TE or Qb and squeezing Singletary onto the roster.

To address the original question in the thread, as much as I hate to say it, I think shady McCoy is a name you can forget the rest of this year.  Obj, Julio, and a few others that are just in bad spots going forward.   

I'm assuming this is a 4 man league? In most competitive leagues Singletary was held through his injury. Also why would you hold Adams through his injury then drop him right after a 11 target game? I suppose if players like Golladay is on the wire(2 man leagues) is probably drop Adams for Golladay.

A few "name players" you can probably drop in short bench redraft leagues, just off the top of my head

Jason witten

Kyle Rudolph

Todd gurley

David Johnson

Adrian Peterson

Frank gore

Antonio Brown

Brandon Cooks

Mariota

Cam

I'm assuming this is a 4 man league? In most competitive leagues Singletary was held through his injury. Also why would you hold Adams through his injury then drop him right after a 11 target game? I suppose if players like Golladay is on the wire(2 man leagues) is probably drop Adams for Golladay.
I held Singletary through his injury. Can attest. 

Users who are viewing this thread