What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA Basketball Thread - 2022-3 Season (3 Viewers)

I really the Zags but I don't think have an answer for Edey
They played earlier in the season. Neither team really played well. Purdue won but the Zags were up 5 at the half even with Edey scoring 15. The Zags are playing much better basketball than in November.

I think an A game from the Zags sees them winning or at least makes it a coin flip.

Some really interesting matchups in this years sweet 16.

UNC/Alabama: should be a fast paced slugfest. I like RJ Davis over Mark Sears in this one so I lean UNC but they are definitely vulnerable if Bama hits their 3's. Bama has been playing much better defense in the tourney than the regular season or conference tourney.

Illinois/Iowa St: What prevails, Illinois great offense or Iowa St great defense. I like both of these teams, and they are both playing really well right now, but I want whoever has a better matchup with UConn to win. Not sure who that is quite yet, but leaning Illinois.

Gonzaga/Purdue: Purdue looks like they are on a mission after their first 2 games, but here comes the tougher opponents. Love the variety of sets they have been running all year. Entertaining team regardless of Edey. Gonzaga looked like a different team in the 2nd half against Kansas, if they can bring that same energy they can easily win this. Purdue's more condensed rotation in the tourney has been fun to watch. Love what Heide and Colvin bring to this team outside of their core 6 (starters + Gillis).

Duke/Houston: Houston looked vulnerable against A&M, but they have similar physical styles and were in constant foul trouble. Plus A&M have been playing great in the conference tourney and 2 rounds of NCAA tourney. I think they come out with a fire and clamp down on Duke limiting their fouls so they don't exploit their thin bench.

Tennessee/Creighton: Last game of the sweet 16 but could be the most entertaining when all said and done. Teams matchup rather well and kind of have similar players on each side. Can Creighton slow down Knecht. I think they have to put Scheierman on him but not sure he has the speed to keep up with him. Creighton is great at not fouling, but they don't have much depth if the wrong guys get in foul trouble. Sneaky fun big guy matchup of Kalkbrenner and Aidoo.

In the other matchups: Clemson/Arizona, SDSU/UConn and NC State/Marquette: Rooting for all dogs in those matchups, but think they have some tough tasks in front of them.

Illinois/Iowa St: What prevails, Illinois great offense or Iowa St great defense. I like both of these teams, and they are both playing really well right now, but I want whoever has a better matchup with UConn to win. Not sure who that is quite yet, but leaning Illinois.
I don't know if Iowa St can beat Uconn, but I like their chances more than Illinois. Too man ways this Uconn team can beat you and Illinois hasn't even slowed down a good team all year. Cyclones have the d to disrupt Uconn enough to sneak past if they create some easy baskets off turnovers and hit enough of their 3's.

Tennessee/Creighton: Last game of the sweet 16 but could be the most entertaining when all said and done. Teams matchup rather well and kind of have similar players on each side. Can Creighton slow down Knecht. I think they have to put Scheierman on him but not sure he has the speed to keep up with him. Creighton is great at not fouling, but they don't have much depth if the wrong guys get in foul trouble. Sneaky fun big guy matchup of Kalkbrenner and Aidoo.
I was not impressed with Tennessee's offensive execution.

Too many possessions with Knecht either getting the ball in tough spots or not at all. Guy is a legit stud and the game plan did nothing to get him going.

There is a large chasm between NBA coaching and college coaching. I imagine too much time is spent recruiting and re-recruiting to get deep into game plans and offensive execution.

There was another game where the end game sequences were horribly mismanaged by both teams.

I'm probably expecting too much from 19-21 yr olds, but I was shocked at some of the time management and late game foul decisions.

Too many possessions with Knecht either getting the ball in tough spots or not at all. Guy is a legit stud and the game plan did nothing to get him going.

There is a large chasm between NBA coaching and college coaching. I imagine too much time is spent recruiting and re-recruiting to get deep into game plans and offensive execution.

There was another game where the end game sequences were horribly mismanaged by both teams.

I'm probably expecting too much from 19-21 yr olds, but I was shocked at some of the time management and late game foul decisions.
The college game is frankly terrible. Everybody loves this month because the tournament is genius but there is SO much bad ball. There’s a reason barely anybody watches November - February.

I don't know if Iowa St can beat Uconn, but I like their chances more than Illinois. Too man ways this Uconn team can beat you and Illinois hasn't even slowed down a good team all year. Cyclones have the d to disrupt Uconn enough to sneak past if they create some easy baskets off turnovers and hit enough of their 3's.

At this point, I'm not sure if anyone truly matches up well with UConn outside of possibly Arizona. Purdue and Creighton matchup size wise, Although I don't think either has the athleticism UConn does. But that is why they play the games. 2 quick fouls on Clingon and/or Newton early on could change the entire game. I'm praying for a revenge game scenario for San Diego St shocking the entire country tonight.

Tennessee has been like that all year, they are not known for their offensive prowess, they win with defense first. They are very hit or miss on the offensive side. Not to mention Rick Barnes chokes in the tourney every year.

Tennessee on the offensive side does remind me a little more of an NBA style (not skill wise) than a lot of teams left in the tourney right now. They often times give the ball to Knect, clear out and let him go to work similar to iso's seen in the NBA with their superstar players.

It is hard to find coaches in college any more that are both X's and O's guys and good recruiters. Calipari is the first coach that comes to mind.

The college game is frankly terrible. Everybody loves this month because the tournament is genius but there is SO much bad ball. There’s a reason barely anybody watches November - February.

I feel the exact way with NBA. Unbearable to watch Oct-April until the playoffs start. No effort is given until about 2-3 minutes left in the game or if it is playoffs time. Players constantly sitting out, too many politics involved now a days. Why is Lebron telling people who they should like or who they should vote for.

I feel the exact way with NBA. Unbearable to watch Oct-April until the playoffs start. No effort is given until about 2-3 minutes left in the game or if it is playoffs time. Players constantly sitting out, too many politics involved now a days. Why is Lebron telling people who they should like or who they should vote for.
Lol ok literally nothing you wrote is happening but live in that world.

It's like some posters don't even hear what's being shouted at them from above. KEEP POLITICS OUT OF HERE.

Interesting take. NBA had to create a minimum 65 game played requirement for players to qualify for certain regular season awards. That doesn't show NBA has issues with players sitting out and "resting" on back to backs. So it isn't happening?

At this point, I'm not sure if anyone truly matches up well with UConn outside of possibly Arizona. Purdue and Creighton matchup size wise, Although I don't think either has the athleticism UConn does. But that is why they play the games. 2 quick fouls on Clingon and/or Newton early on could change the entire game. I'm praying for a revenge game scenario for San Diego St shocking the entire country tonight.
The real key for Purdue is for Lance Jones to have a good game and the continued emergence of their two best athletes Heide and Colvin. They have come on strong at the end of the year for freshman. Let’s see if they can make a difference down the stretch.

Capella, yourea Syracuse guy, right?

If that's right-- and so am I -- you and I are acutely aware of how good college basketball used to be. Every game when I was growing up was an event. It could be some random Tuesday in January and all the parents in the neighborhood would decide where to watch it and we lived and died with every freakin possession. Now-- with rare exception-- games are an absolute snooze fest.

I must admit that two conferences delivered incredible energy on weekdays in Jan/Feb this season and that was the BE and B12. Those games were consistently juiced up. The B12 was in its "unicorn year" with so many new schools plus TX/OK, so I am doubtful they'll be at the same level again next season.

If that's right-- and so am I -- you and I are acutely aware of how good college basketball used to be. Every game when I was growing up was an event. It could be some random Tuesday in January and all the parents in the neighborhood would decide where to watch it and we lived and died with every freakin possession. Now-- with rare exception-- games are an absolute snooze fest.

I must admit that two conferences delivered incredible energy on weekdays in Jan/Feb this season and that was the BE and B12. Those games were consistently juiced up. The B12 was in its "unicorn year" with so many new schools plus TX/OK, so I am doubtful they'll be at the same level again next season.
Oh yeah, BIG TIME Syracuse guy. Thats what Capella is known for

Interesting take. NBA had to create a minimum 65 game played requirement for players to qualify for certain regular season awards. That doesn't show NBA has issues with players sitting out and "resting" on back to backs. So it isn't happening?
The players are not the ones who want to rest for the most part. The teams want to protect their investments and believe it is better to give them more rest. Whether this is really true or not is still up for debate. Regardless, the main reason that they put the rule in is that their tv contract is coming up and they wanted to do something to appease the suitors. It hasn’t really made the games better overall.

Yea I mean that was my point. The ncaa has kind of let the train get away from them in many many ways. That said, I’m sitting here watching again tonight. The tournament is a great spectacle.

Yea I mean that was my point. The ncaa has kind of let the train get away from them in many many ways. That said, I’m sitting here watching again tonight. The tournament is a great spectacle.

Sure, I was agreeing for the most part.

Foul calls in basketball are so stupid. I swear every game you could shift the margin between the two teams by 12-15 points (probably more) just based on whether the ref decides to randomly blow their whistle whenever there is contact initiated by the offensive player.

Foul calls in basketball are so stupid. I swear every game you could shift the margin between the two teams by 12-15 points (probably more) just based on whether the ref decides to randomly blow their whistle whenever there is contact initiated by the offensive player.
Foul them all and let god sort em out, I say

Caleb Love is the leading scorer in the entire tourney for his career? And he doesn't know that when you're down 3 with 21 seconds left you have to foul and can't just back off the guy with the ball?

God such a garbage call. Run into the lane out of control. Throw a shoulder into any body you can find and shoot free throws. Refs are cowards they see a guy fall and just blow the whistle.

ETA: Apparently I'm like a minute behind. Was talking about the RJ Davis drive with the shot clock low.

Users who are viewing this thread