What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA Basketball Thread - 2022-3 Season (1 Viewer)

How can this be only the second time that two 7 footers have matched up in the final? There had to have been other games where each team had a 7 footer

How can this be only the second time that two 7 footers have matched up in the final? There had to have been other games where each team had a 7 footer
Naw, it makes sense. Alcindor was over 7’, of course, but other talented bigs like Bill Walton and Danny Manning were not.

Great game so far.

Purdue is playing very well. If they lose, it's because they ran into a historically great team. Which would be unfortunate for them.

If Purdue wins-- it would be one of the best wins of this generation.

Studio crew is right…this tempo doesn’t favor Purdue but they might have to push it in order to get three point looks and get other guys shots. It’s amazing that a team like Purdue doesn’t even have that many guys who can create and get their own shot. Smith and Jones are really the only ones on the court who can create off the dribble.

Naw, it makes sense. Alcindor was over 7’, of course, but other talented bigs like Bill Walton and Danny Manning were not.
Walton was easily 7 ft
A search lists him as 6’11”. :shrug:

Hunter Dickinson and Kareem listed as 7’2” ..Wilt listed as 7’1” ..Olajawan and Ewing listed as 7’0”. …the above Eric’s both listed as 7’0”.

What a disappointing second half but kind of epitomizes this tourney overall. Lots of blow outs and not many if any buzzer beaters. The only one I can recall is A&M with that wicked bounce pass in the lane to send the UH game to OT. Oh well, I did enjoy watching Edey and Clingan go at it with sky hooks and traditional post games. You rarely see that in today's NBA.

Walton was easily 7 ft

Hunter Dickinson and Kareem listed as 7’2” ..Wilt listed as 7’1” ..Olajawan and Ewing listed as 7’0”. …the above Eric’s both listed as 7’0”.

IIRC Hakeem was always 6'10-11" during the draft and then got the 7 foot number later in his career.

They took away the three from Purdue shooters. That’s the best plan against them.

Please stop forcing it to Edey..there is 3 minutes and we need some ****ing three pointers.

Oh well…it was a run.

UConn. What a dominating performance. Game was basically over at halftime. Congrats Husky fans. That is a very fun team to watch.

Big Ten 0-8 in the championship game since 2000. Nuts.

Last edited:
First time I’ve watched Edey, actually, and came away unimpressed. He’s clumsy with his feet and hands, But of course, you can’t teach height. In contrast, Clingan looks at Edey and says, “hold my beer.” I think Purdue is in trouble Monday night.

Thought State had a great strategy for him at times but not sure UConn will try and replicate it. I expect them to ask Clingman to guard him 1:1 and not let the Purdue shooters get clean looks.

This played out as I thought it might. Edey played great though for most of the game. UConn defense on the other 4 guys was the difference.

Walton was easily 7 ft

Walton was easily 7 ft

Alabama kept it the closest therefore they are #2 :)

Congrats UConn fans on a truly dominating season and a well earned championship.

I've been coming to this board since ol yeller.
I used to tell stories of growing up in NJ. NJ was the hotbed of basketball for a few years putting 30-50 HS kids eventually in the NBA. St Anthony's was regularly one of the best teams in the country.
I wish I could bump it from the ol days.
I hated playing with Bobby Hurley on the playground. He was a chucker if there ever was one.
Danny was my guy a lot of days. He didn't like playing with his brother either and Bobby couldn't handle being bumped around so we'd go at him and be a little rough.
On his dad's travel teams it was completely different. All soldiers doing what coach says or else we run. So demanding and so exact or precise we were dead tired and no one ever said a peep about anything because we didn't have the strength to. But you did not cross him. Everyone warned. It never happened but was always said for some reason.
I shared stories of Kenny Anderson and Marbury coming to play. Kenny Houston and Kent Culuko and Pat Sullivan and Luther Wright and scary Jerry Walker and...
I remember watching a girls game with Danny. He couldn't get over famous Jeff Jasper and how he did things both different and the same as his dad. Literally two geniuses that would be the best ever HS coaches. Danny was obsessed with Jasper for a few days.

Anywho....thinking on those memories. I had some good summer times with the Hurley family.

I don't think it's self importance or Springsteen glory days view- maybe it is- I'm pretty sure those Jasper days he shaped his views that led him to his championship ways. It's just how rare it is to see two of the best ever and how intense he was watching...I'm waiting for a book to come out someday where he says as such

I spent a week preparing my brackets. I finished mid pack. My wife sat down at the table with her cell phone (after not watching one college basketball game all year ) and filled her sheet out in less than 30 minutes. She took the whole thing down at almost a 96% correction rate.

I spent a week preparing my brackets. I finished mid pack. My wife sat down at the table with her cell phone (after not watching one college basketball game all year ) and filled her sheet out in less than 30 minutes. She took the whole thing down at almost a 96% correction rate.
96? Cmon.

:ptts:

Eric montross vs Eric Riley in 93 is one

Villanova v Georgetown in 1985. The question is whether Patrick Ewing was on the court during Chuck Everson’s 3 minutes of gametime.

UConn has to be one of the best teams in the last 20 years. Wow. They have multiple future nba players but nobody really projected to be an all-star either.

Edey making himself some real money tonight.
I was thinking the same thing in the first 10 minutes of that game. Then I felt like he proceeded to lose that, and some, over the next 30 minutes. I just don’t see how he is successful beyond a 10 minute per game reserve role in the League. His game just simply can’t translate.

I was thinking the same thing in the first 10 minutes of that game. Then I felt like he proceeded to lose that, and some, over the next 30 minutes. I just don’t see how he is successful beyond a 10 minute per game reserve role in the League. His game just simply can’t translate.

Didn't they say during one of the games that Edey never played basketball until his sophomore year of high school? I would expect more growth/evolution in his game as a pro.

Didn't they say during one of the games that Edey never played basketball until his sophomore year of high school? I would expect more growth/evolution in his game as a pro.
I’m sure that will be true, as these guys in the NBA have the best resources available to them and nothing but time to work on their games. He should improve.

That said, he will enter the League at the very lowest level of the athleticism spectrum, and that’s not likely to change. I don’t see how he’s going to be able to guard anyone, and he will be constantly exploited on the perimeter on the defensive end. On offense, his post game feels unrefined and he won’t have the day-in and day-out size advantage he had in college. I think he can hang around, but I would be pretty surprised if he ended up as anything more than a 9th-12th guy on a roster.

UConn has to be one of the best teams in the last 20 years. Wow. They have multiple future nba players but nobody really projected to be an all-star either.
Watch out for Castle. I wish there was a chance he’d stay for another year because I think he’d be amazing, like player of the year level. If he works on his 3 pointers and improves his FT % into the mid-80s, he’d be unstoppable in college. If you have to guard him at the 3 point line, his driving ability and passing ability would be fun to watch.

Not sure about Clingan but if he gets stronger, he’s got a decent touch. His FT% and defense got much better as the season went but he still needs more strength.

Unfortunately, Newton, Spencer and Diarra are done, although technically Diarra does have one more year left and he could do well as a starter. I see Karraban mentioned as going pro but honestly, I don’t see him as a good NBA player yet. He’s a good 3 point guy but The athletic difference between him and Castle is night and day. I wonder if Karraban could get more via NIL because he will be at best a 2nd round pick and maybe not make a team.

The thing I come away with watching them is Hurley is a fantastic coach. They run proper offensive sets and get guys open looks all game long, they are very unselfish and make the correct passes the majority of the time and their defense is outstanding.

Most impressive thing of the night? That goober Purdue white bench dude flying in for a follow dunk. Once in a lifetime play by that dude*.

*I’ve never watched the kid play, he may be a future NBA player and an athletic freak for all I know. And I’m a moron.

Users who are viewing this thread