What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NCAA HOOPS THREAD! -- K petitions to get Maui Jim Maui Invitational moved to Transylvania (2 Viewers)

Who is worse?

• Total voters
As we near the start of conference play, just thought I'd throw this out here:

- There are now 41 current D1 schools that have never made the NCAA Tournament. 
- We had one school move down to D2 and 2 move up.  So those 2 schools won't be able to make it this year. 
- That leaves 39 schools from 17 conferences. 
- 7 of those conferences have one remaining school left to make the tourney. 
- 2 conferences have more than half of their teams on the list.

Not that this matters too much since it will all come down to conference tournaments for these schools, but here's the current breakdown:

- 7 teams have records above .500
- 11 teams have records at or just below .500
- 21 teams are below .500

Lunardi currently has 8 teams in the tourney from the Big East.  That's crazy.  How can you have 80% of the teams in a conference make the tourney?

Mick Cronin reprimanded by the Pac-12 for complaining about officiating.  Mick gonna Mick.  I don't see him lasting long there.

Not that this matters too much since it will all come down to conference tournaments for these schools, but here's the current breakdown:

- 7 teams have records above .500
- 11 teams have records at or just below .500
- 21 teams are below .500
A couple of changes but they evened themselves out for the most part.  As of 12/26:

7 teams above .500
12 teams at or just below .500
20 teams below .500

Yeah, while Duke suffered its most embarrassing loss in a long while - which is to take nothing away from a better-prepared, better-coached SFA team - honestly, this UNC edition is terrible.  Naturally they have a huge ranking off the name alone as they do every year, but let Anthony get his and contain the rest of the team and they are more beatable than they have been in years.  Shocking dearth of talent.  Paltry OOC schedule, too. 
That SFA team Duke lost to is ranked above UNC 😮

And this Duke team is legit. Best team defense we’ve had since...Geez maybe the 90s?? Hard to believe they are a better team overall this year than a team with 2 generational talents last season. I think the basketball gods felt sorry for us after blowing it last year or something.  :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way how does Danny Manning still have a job? He hasn’t improved Wakes program at all. I know he was an awesome player but clearly it’s not translating over to coaching. I’d be inclined to give Randolph Childress at shot over giving him another year if I’m Wake...

1979 until today. 
I watched the game yesterday. They aren't a pretty team to watch but they play hard and they're all tough as nails. Rutgers is the kind of team other teams hate to play. They kind of remind me of Leonard Hamilton's teams at Florida State.

Kansas and Kansas St. Game just ended in a bad bad bad way. Lots of emotions off the deep end. Players getting suspended for sure. 

DeSouza any good? That guy isn’t playing again. 
He’s had a few good games but he’s mostly been a headache.  His eligibility has always been in flux.  Tested the draft waters last spring and got zero interest.  Had every opportunity to be a rotation player this season and blew it.  KU has switched to a four-out offense around one big, and De Souza dropped to the third big on the depth chart.  If he’s dismissed from the team over this, he will only be missed if Azubuike gets hurt.
He’ll play professionally somewhere, but I doubt he ever plays in the NBA. 

Am I following right that the K-State player picked his pocket, he blocked the shot and then kicked everything off by standing over the guy on the floor?  He's probably done even without all that other stuff given what he set in motion.

Should be for good. Trying to fight with a chair.  He doesn’t need to play again this year 
He didn’t fight with the chair. I believe he dropped it by his own choosing. In the heat of the moment does he get no credit for making the right choice there?

I can see him missing games, but doubt he’s done for good at KU.  :shrug:

He didn’t fight with the chair. I believe he dropped it by his own choosing. In the heat of the moment does he get no credit for making the right choice there?

I can see him missing games, but doubt he’s done for good at KU.  :shrug:
Someone pulled it out of his hands from behind, it looked like to me.

Kansas game was a great deal.  You got to watch a basketball game AND a fight that lasted longer than McGregor's fight... for free!

Kansas guy played nice and tried to dribble out the clock.  K-State guy messed around, picked his pocket, and then had his shot absolutely destroyed into next week.  Without a doubt one of the best blocks of the year.  K-State guy deserved to have the guy stand over him since he was the one messing around in the first place.  Everything after that was WWF.

Kansas guy played nice and tried to dribble out the clock.  K-State guy messed around, picked his pocket, and then had his shot absolutely destroyed into next week.  Without a doubt one of the best blocks of the year.  K-State guy deserved to have the guy stand over him since he was the one messing around in the first place.  Everything after that was WWF.
This is my thought as well. Going for the steal and layup was straight up bush league. It's lot like it was even some walk-on trying to score his first points. It was a scholarship player. Totally lame move. So although it's poor sportsmanship and probably triggered the fight, I have no issue with the post block stare down and step over.  You want to pull some BS like that to try and steal 2 late points, you deserve what you get.

But yeah, you can't throw punches or go for chairs. Desousa will probably be done for the year and IMO he should be. McCormick a long suspension but back for the end of the season. K state player in street clothes who threw down with desousa done for the year as well.

9 teams above .500
6 teams at or just below .500
24 teams below .500

5 teams currently would not qualify for the conference tournament
The WAC is truly WACky.  Nine schools.  6 of them have never been to the tourney.  Of the remaining 3, 1 of them hasn't been there since 1969.  

The WAC is truly WACky.  Nine schools.  6 of them have never been to the tourney.  Of the remaining 3, 1 of them hasn't been there since 1969.  
I assume there have been quite a few schools that went to the tourney from the WAC, but have since moved to other conferences.  The list of former members on Wikipedia is quite long

I assume there have been quite a few schools that went to the tourney from the WAC, but have since moved to other conferences.  The list of former members on Wikipedia is quite long
Yup.  That's definitely true.  But since 2007, it looks like only 3 other schools have won.  And only 1 of those schools is still in the conference.  New Mexico State owns that conference. 

Congrats to ROY Williams for passing Dean Smith today. Although he’s half the coach Smith was, and most of his wins involved ineligible players that benefited from the sham classes going on there for 2-3 decades, he still deserves credit for winning all those games  :whistle:

I feel like more teams are moving up their conference tournaments and it's bad for viewers.  Championship Week is actually 13 days long.  And here's the breakdown:

Tuesday, March 3rd - 13 games (9 First Round Games, 4 Quarterfinals)
Wednesday, March 4th - 9 games (5 First Round Games, 4 Quarterfinals)
Thursday, March 5th - 18 games (4 First Round Games, 16 Quarterfinals, 2 Semifinals)
Friday, March 6th - 14 games (2 First Round Games, 2 Second Round Games, 4 Quarterfinals, 6 Semifinals)
Saturday, March 7th - 22 games (4 First Round Games, 12 Quarterfinals, 4 Semifinals, 2 Finals)
Sunday, March 8th - 13 games (6 Quarterfinals, 4 Semifinals, 3 Finals)
Monday, March 9th - 15 games (4 First Round Games, 2 Second Round Games, 8 Semifinals, 1 Finals)
Tuesday, March 10th - 19 games (8 First Round Games, 4 Quarterfinals, 2 Semifinals, 5 Finals)
Wednesday, March 11th - 34 games (27 First Round Games, 6 Quarterfinals, 1 Finals)
Thursday, March 12th - 58 games (4 First Round Games, 12 Second Round Games, 42 Quarterfinals)
Friday, March 13th - 42 games (16 Quarterfinals, 26 Semifinals)
Saturday, March 14th - 26 games (12 Semifinals, 14 Finals)
Sunday, March 15th - 6 games (6 Finals)

A lot of the smaller conferences have moved their games up, for some reason.  Not sure why.  It used to be that they were the first week so you could watch the games.  Now they are trying to compete against the bigger conferences and it's harder to watch them.  Maybe it has something to do with classes?  Not sure.  But not a fan.  Championship Week is my favorite time of the year.  

Analytics-wise, this is shaping up to be a pretty chaotic tournament.  The teams at the top of the efficiency curve are not as good as their historical counterparts and the teams in the later part of the curve are slightly better.  Last year, all of the 1-3 seeds advanced to the second weekend.  This was no doubt partially due to the committee using analytics to seed teams as there were no major over or under seeded teams last year.  Should see the same thing this year, but with the top of the curve being so bad, hopefully we get some more chaos this year.  

Users who are viewing this thread