What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need advice - what are the rules for new team owners in keeper leagues (1 Viewer)

JEvans

Footballguy
I have been in a 12 player keeper league for the past 3 years. This year one of the team owners dropped out and a new person joined. The commish feels that the new owner shouldn't get the team of the person leaving transferred to him - but should start over from scratch. I though in keeper leagues when one owner leaves and a new one joins - the new person takes over the old team. How is this typically done?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've always transferred the roster to the new owner.
Ditto here. I'm curious how the other team is supposed to start over. Do all the players from the "abandoned" team get thrown back into the pool of available players? If you keep 3 or more, that's gonna be murder for the new owner....

Who in their right mind would pay to join a keeper league if they start out in a hole? He should either take over the other team or, if this is a three keeper league, give him the first three draft picks to catch up. Let him decide since he is helping you out by joining.

Transfer the team.Not sure why this never came up before however its the easiest thing to do and makes the most sense.In addition another thing which can crop up is the trading of future draft choices. If your asking about new team owners in keeper leagues its a total nightmare for any owner to come in and have multiple draft choices flushed away before they even arrive. You know the ones, "I'll trade you Edgerin James for my #2 and #4 next season" and then that person for some reason (no matter what it is) has to drop out and a new owners takes over and gets a painful lesson. If nothing else explain in detail what transpired so they know what they are getting themselves into.

Who in their right mind would pay to join a keeper league if they start out in a hole? He should either take over the other team or, if this is a three keeper league, give him the first three draft picks to catch up. Let him decide since he is helping you out by joining.

:loco:

What have you guys done for expanding keeper leagues? I'm in a keep 5 player league with family (10 teams) and there are 2 teams that potentially want to join.....whats the best way to let them in?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been in a 12 player keeper league for the past 3 years. This year one of the team owners dropped out and a new person joined. The commish feels that the new owner shouldn't get the team of the person leaving transferred to him - but should start over from scratch. I though in keeper leagues when one owner leaves and a new one joins - the new person takes over the old team. How is this typically done?Thanks.
It is not really fair to make him start from scratch and try and put together a good team. Explain to the rest of the league that you will be looking for a new team every year, since this guy will probably get annoyed pretty quick. Or try something where you can protect up to 5 players at the expense of draft picks. For example if you protect 3 guys you don't get a choice until round 4. That way if a team drops out the incoming team will always get a shot at a competitive team.

What have you guys done for expanding keeper leagues? I'm in a keep 5 player league with family (10 teams) and there are 2 teams that potentially want to join.....whats the best way to let them in?
I would let the current teams only protect 2 or 3 players each. Let the other two teams have a little draft (order decided by coinflip, or one of those handy online dice roll things) for a 2 or 3 rounds to supplement their teams. Pretty fair IMO

Our league's rules state that we'd hold an expansion draft for the new teams after keepers are declared. (We keep 4 per team) The expansion teams then have a serpentine draft, during which they can select any players EXCEPT rookies. Just like other teams selecting their keepers, they forfeit a draft pick for every expansion draft pick they make. This way, if they want to target Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson, they make fewer expansion draft picks.With all that said, we've never used it, but our league owners seemend to think this was the fairest method. The new teams start out in a bit of a hole (like expansion teams in the NFL) but they can at least get a start.

A couple of suggestions for making it better for the expansion teams:

After keepers are declared, have an expansion draft and allow each team to protect only 2 or 3 of their keepers. The others can be poached by the expasion teams. (Like the NFL, I think.) If a player gets poached from a team, then that team could be protected from future poaching.
Include rookies in the expansion draft.Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread