What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need an upgrade to my TV and beyond! Help Required! (1 Viewer)

cubd8

Footballguy
I am in serious need of a major upgrade to my home television and can use some experts here to reach the 21st century (and then some).

• I need a new TV (55") for my living room and an upgrade in my bedroom (currently 32', but can probably go near 38-40'). I currently have a Samsung in my bedroom and prefer that brand, but am interested in going with the top brand(s), not necessarily what I am used to.
  • I need an upgrade from DVD to Blue-Ray.
  • I need new sound/speakers in both the living room and bedroom. I'd prefer to spend more in the living room, but want to take care of both rooms.
  • What else do I need to join the rest of civilization?
Price is not a major consideration (although it matters), I definitely want to do this right, and need all the help I can get so brands/quality and what complements each other matter.

On top of that, I'd like to start the path of dropping from cable. Currently, I am paying way too much for my Internet/Cable and need to start thinking about cutting the tie and/or considering alternative options. Do I need to buy any devices to start down that path?

Thank you all in advance.

Vizio really makes good TVs at a good price point. Most have it built in now, but an Amazon FireStick or Google Chromecast or the like (Roku or Apple if you use Apple) adapter is all you need to cut the cable. 

For sound, there's so many options and just depends on your room setup. 

Can you direct me to the thread?

Question: When will 5G be available for TV? Should that be a consideration?
No, I wouldn't think about an 8k TV. And budget is a huge concern. Are you ok with a 5k TV, 10k speakers that's ok? Room type. Do you want soundbars or full on receiver/processor/amps/speakers?

I was killing time at Wally World by checking out the TVs.  My jaw dropped when I saw the OLEDs.  They're on a completely different level of sharpness and color.  You can usually find a 55" deal for around $1,400 - 1,500 if you're patient and willing to buy online.  

I was killing time at Wally World by checking out the TVs.  My jaw dropped when I saw the OLEDs.  They're on a completely different level of sharpness and color.  You can usually find a 55" deal for around $1,400 - 1,500 if you're patient and willing to buy online.  
Can get one on Amazon right now for 1600

No, I wouldn't think about an 8k TV. And budget is a huge concern. Are you ok with a 5k TV, 10k speakers that's ok? Room type. Do you want soundbars or full on receiver/processor/amps/speakers?
Does 1 soundbar replace the need for all of the speakers/amps, etc.?

If so, I would prefer a soundbar.

If I went down the option of a the Playstation Vue (as I cut the chord), would the LG TV come with what I need to buy that package?

I would prefer a 55' TV, the first one is $1700 and the 2nd link is $2200. Is the 2nd link worth the price? 

LG Electronics OLED55C8PUA 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2018 Model)

LG Electronics OLED55E8PUA 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart OLED TV (2018 Model)
There's also a B8 ($1600).

I haven't researched much since last January. Any knowledge I had is already outdated.

Rtings.com has good info on these. E8 has a bigger base and built-in soundbar. Even with that, Rtings still suggests using your own external speakers or soundbar. If you do that, the remaining difference seems to be aesthetic. Personally, I wouldn't spend the $500 chasing either looks or better sound. I'd rather have external sound regardless BUT my scenario is large/high bonus room. I don't know your situation. For a smaller space or a case where external speakers/soundbar would  be undesirable and/or unattractive, that $500 might be smart money.

The LG C8 and the LG E8 both have very similar performance. The LG E8 has somewhat better sound quality due to the embedded soundbar. The two TVs, however, differ significantly in design as the E8 has a more elegant style whereas the C8 has a more classical one.
C8 to E8 side-by-side comparison

C8 review

E8 review

There’s huge thread on this. To summarize: LG OLED
I bought my LG 65B7A for $1,899 with free freight shipping (up to 30 days or so) from firstclasstvs (iElectrica) NIB on eBay. Their prices fluctuate. Haven’t been to their site since my April 2018 purchase. 

We just did this.  The soundbar is in its box in the hall right now.  We got a 65" LG OLED E8.  The main difference between that and the C is that the c model has a scoop that the sound comes from.  The E has front firing speakers and ATMOS speakers at the rear of the TV.  We decided that the soundbar was necessary.  You would probably want the LG SK9, which is the right size for the 55".

The Avengers on Blu-Ray looks amazing.

Didn't know (or forgot) there's a thread on this...but came here to say LG OLED. Wish I had bought one last winter instead of my XBR 900E.
Why?  Mr R wants to know.  He says that Sony is buying its screens from LG but that their electronics are different.

And I can probably answer the question without VandyMan's input - that XBR900E ain't OLED, which is the only way to go (with a few specific exceptions = don't if you play games 20 hours at a time or leave it on a channel with a crawl 27/7 - otherwise it's the bomb).

And I can probably answer the question without VandyMan's input - that XBR900E ain't OLED, which is the only way to go (with a few specific exceptions = don't if you play games 20 hours at a time or leave it on a channel with a crawl 27/7 - otherwise it's the bomb).
All this time I thought Mr. Rannous was a fictional character that she occasionally dropped into conversations to make sure we know she's married!

Sony's says they do something in their OLED sets to prevent burn-in. No idea how/what that is or whether it works.

PS:  I think Sony is the only one using Andoid TV? Android TV was absolutely infuriating at first. I adapted. I hope it's better now or the new sets handle it better?

PS2: Sony released a software update for 900E just a few weeks ago, even though they stopped making it a year ago, and the update came with a "install at your own risk" disclaimer.

VandyMan said:
All this time I thought Mr. Rannous was a fictional character that she occasionally dropped into conversations to make sure we know she's married!.
Hey!  I exist, I just don't post that much - combination of a lack of time at home, and working for a bank that blocks access to 90% of the internet, including "unimportant" fantasy football sites.

cubd8 said:
Does 1 soundbar replace the need for all of the speakers/amps, etc.?

If so, I would prefer a soundbar.
Yes it would as long as it's not a huge room. I am partial to GoldenEar (I have a Triton two system) and they have a soundbar (SuperCinema 3D Array XL) that is intriguing to me, pair that with a sub (ForceField) and I think you'd have a decent system. Go with the smaller 3D Array X for the bedroom.

I am partial to GoldenEar (I have a Triton two system) and they have a soundbar (SuperCinema 3D Array XL) that is intriguing to me, pair that with a sub (ForceField) and I think you'd have a decent system.
I dunno about those - for straight music playing, maybe.  But with the advances in tech, I wouldn't pay that much for a soundbar that didn't include Dolby Atmos capabilities, especially when paring with a TV for a home theater.

I dunno about those - for straight music playing, maybe.  But with the advances in tech, I wouldn't pay that much for a soundbar that didn't include Dolby Atmos capabilities, especially when paring with a TV for a home theater.
Unless you’re spending tons of money on installation including ceiling speakers and EQ’ing everything, you’re not going to replicate the Dolby Atmos sound from a movie theater. Surround sound will be fine.  

How much TV are you guys watching where dropping $3k on a TV + sound system is worth it?

I have a 40" LED that's like 8 years old with one LED not functioning (hence a dark spot at the edge) and I still am not getting serious about replacing it.

Until you hear his speakers it's hard to take your I dunno about those with any sincerity. Also, it's why I asked about budget. It makes a big deal. There are very few folder ribbon driver tweeter speakers out there and it makes a huge difference. Also, this is the same guy that started Definitive Technology and Polk.

Atmos is great in a large high ceiling room, but in smaller normal rooms you don't gain much over surround sound. I've toyed with front height speakers but even with a 10ft ceiling I'd prefer directional rear speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you’re spending tons of money on installation including ceiling speakers and EQ’ing everything, you’re not going to replicate the Dolby Atmos sound from a movie theater. Surround sound will be fine.  
Hmm - I've always had great results with speaker phasing technology replacing rear speakers and the like.  I've just purchased an Atmos sound bar, but haven't gotten it in place yet to try it - I'll report back once I get a chance to find out if there's any merit to atmos without a multi-speaker setup.

Users who are viewing this thread