What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need some road trip advice (east coast) (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Looking to do a road trip with the family - I never did this when I was a kid and always wanted to... I get it, throwing a family in the car for 6-12 hours is hell, but whatever, I want to do it, looking to get a little bit of my white trash on. I need advice on a destination. We already have a Florida trip on the horizon as well as some shore trips in Southern NJ.

Criteria:

1) Family friendly

2) Within a 10-12 hour drive of NY

3) Preferably a beach town

4) boardwalk with some kid friendly rides preferred

I'll have a son who will be a few months short of 4 and a baby who will be 5 months, the youngster is just along for the ride, so the trip will be more for the older.

Considering:

Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Outer Banks, or possibly Orchard Beach in Maine (although welcome to suggestions)... 

I know very little about all of the aforementioned, so all advice from east coast FBG welcomed.

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Myrtle Beach - golf courses, strip clubs, condos, suburbia on steroids. Yuck.

Hilton Head - never been.

OBX - awesome beach-front houses, lots of adventure / ride / mini-golf places around, but no boardwalk.

Old Orchard Beach - first real "beach town" you hit when driving south. Its like they tried to make a mini Joisey-beach town. Water is freezing and the beach was filled with Canucks who took their sand-castle building very serious. Personally, if Im heading to Maine, its to get away from this scene.

Id go to OBX of the places you mention, but you may be looking for a different atmosphere. If its white-trash boardwalk you want, OCMD is your spot. 

It really depends what you're looking for.

First of all, if you've spent time on the Jersey shore there really isn't any equivalent to the Jersey boardwalks.  There are other great places and some smaller boardwalk areas (Rehobeth, Coney Island, Ocean City MD) but there really isn't anything like it on either coast.  I'm not a big fan of Jersey, there are lots of reasons I left, but no place else does the boardwalk think better.

If you want beautiful beaches then Outer Banks is the best bet.  It's beautiful, large enough to find your own spot, wild if you want wild and developed if you want developed.  If you are looking to spend a majority of your days on the sand, swimming, surf fishing, camping, beach fires... then OBX is the best bet in that range.  The best beaches north of Florida.

If you are looking for the developed "family-fun" environments with tons of places to spend your money like go karts, shows, restaurants, shopping tours, and a million other fun and family friendly places that are more event driven then just sitting on the beach then probably Myrtle Beach.  Think Pigeon Forge/Wisconsin Dells but on the beach.  Bring some cash but a ton of stuff to do.  Just don't look for any kind of privacy or solitude.

If you want to check someplace close that kind of has a little of both go camp at Assateauge Island in Maryland.  You camp on the sand right over the dunes, hear the ocean waves crash as you sleep, build campfires.  The best part is that wild ponies run up and down the beach, they're all over the place.  Sometimes you have to even chase them out of your camp if you leave food around.  Right over the bridge to the island there is (or at least used to be) a small dock where you can crab.  We would bring our catch back to the campsite and eat crabs for dinner.   Then, when you want to go do the boardwalk thing you're only a few minutes over the bridge from Ocean City Maryland.  You can do the rides, the cotton candy, the games of chance, etc..  Decent surf as well if you happen to surf.

Another place to consider if you want to see something REALLY beautiful on the upper range of your timeframe, Acadia National Park up in Maine.  Absolutely stunning.   Cheap lobster and seafood.  Lots of great camping up there and some really nice stops along the coast.  Maybe spend a day or two in Boston, catch a game at Fenway, do a free history walking tour, then head up for a day or two on Cape Code or in day trip to Salem.  Then end up with a few days camping in the National Park.

Lots to see, good luck.  I've spent a lot of time camping up and down the coast (all over really), if you have any questions let me know. There's a good chance I may have been where you're going.

I love Hilton Head, but I don't think it is what you are looking for for a 5 year old.  I have brought my kids there when they were around that age, but they spent most of the time hanging around the house we rented, swimming in the pool, or playing at the beach at the ocean.  No rides anywhere I am aware of.

Other cool things we did there that a kid that age might enjoy

-Aligator park.  Take a boat ride through a gator preserve.  Saw some pretty big ones and a lot of smaller ones.

-Depending on the season, lots of dolphins.  You can see them swim by in the ocean when at the beach.  We also took a guided boat tour where the dolphins would swim behind the boat.  The best part was renting cayaks and going in a bay.  The dolphins were all over and would come right up next to you.  I could have touched them with my oar.

Most of the other stuff I have done wouldn't be appreciated by little kids.  Great seafood.  LOTS of golf.  Shopping.  A few cool things to rent bikes and bike around the island to look at.

Maybe I'm being a bit biased, but I don't think Ocean City, MD is that bad. There's plenty of things to do with kids there. Tons of mini-golf courses, there's an arcade, Ripley's Believe it or Not, little amusement park type thing, a good size boardwalk, and family friendly. We usually go every year and have been there with our daughter the last 2 years (she'll be 4 this July). There's even a bar, Fishtales, that is on the water that has it's own kid area with seating so you can let the kids play while you eat and what not.

Ocean City is a small, fun boardwalk.  Not as big or fun as the NJ boardwalks like Wildwood but when you take that trip in conjunction w/ Assateague I think it's a great trip.

Myrtle Beach is a giant resort type destination.  TONS of stuff to do.  it's not all located in one spot like a boardwalk, some parts you walk around, other things you drive to.  It's just bigger.  More people, more stuff, more to do.  You're also in day trip distance to Hilton Head when you're there.  A few nice places north and south to drive to.

Rehoboth Beach, DE.

OC, NJ is nice but it's a dry town, OC MD is too crowded and kind of scummy, Myrtle Beach is mostly a pit, super touristy and kind of seedy because they cater to so many golfers during most of the year.  The NC shore is not developed enough for you and Hilton Head is too far.  Drive to Rehoboth, park your car, and don't get back into it.  It's not real big but it's way way classier than any of the resorts mentioned so far (The Outer Banks are classy too)  and you have a boardwalk to explore, rides, and a family environment.  Tons of great, local food as well.  A lot of gays, but hey the gays keep the undesirables away.

Rent a place like this, walk to the beach, restaurants, boards, etc.

https://www.vrbo.com/252702ha

Ocean City is a small, fun boardwalk.  Not as big or fun as the NJ boardwalks like Wildwood but when you take that trip in conjunction w/ Assateague I think it's a great trip.

Myrtle Beach is a giant resort type destination.  TONS of stuff to do.  it's not all located in one spot like a boardwalk, some parts you walk around, other things you drive to.  It's just bigger.  More people, more stuff, more to do.  You're also in day trip distance to Hilton Head when you're there.  A few nice places north and south to drive to.
If your idea of a day trip is almost 8 hours round trip with no traffic.

Rehoboth Beach, DE.

OC, NJ is nice but it's a dry town, OC MD is too crowded and kind of scummy, Myrtle Beach is mostly a pit, super touristy and kind of seedy because they cater to so many golfers during most of the year.  The NC shore is not developed enough for you and Hilton Head is too far.  Drive to Rehoboth, park your car, and don't get back into it.  It's not real big but it's way way classier than any of the resorts mentioned so far (The Outer Banks are classy too)  and you have a boardwalk to explore, rides, and a family environment.  Tons of great, local food as well.  A lot of gays, but hey the gays keep the undesirables away.

I do like Rehoboth as well. Used to go there as a kid for family vacation. Also only about an hour to get to Ocean City, MD from Rehoboth.

I do like Rehoboth as well. Used to go there as a kid for family vacation. Also only about an hour to get to Ocean City, MD from Rehoboth.
True, you could drive into OC Maryland and check it out.  Its boardwalk is pretty iconic.

If you stay in Rehoboth, you could also take a day trip to Cape May via the Cape-May Lewes ferry.  The ferry is around 20 minutes outside Rehoboth Beach (no traffice) and Cape May is beautiful.

Cape May is already in the travel plans... We go to Congress Hall at least 2x a summer, so we are looking for a little variety. 

Whoops, sorry about that.  We did a day trip to Hilton Head from Savannah, not Myrtle Beach.  Mixed up my trips.  Sorry about that.
A Savannah/Charleston vacation when the kids are older should be on your east coast list.  (both places are fantastic).

Cape May is already in the travel plans... We go to Congress Hall at least 2x a summer, so we are looking for a little variety. 
Honestly.  For the most part all the beaches in NJ are "the same".

So I guess try something less not beaching for your other trips?  

Hersheypark, Baltimore Aquarium, Camden Aquarium, etc

Honestly.  For the most part all the beaches in NJ are "the same".

So I guess try something less not beaching for your other trips?  

Hersheypark, Baltimore Aquarium, Camden Aquarium, etc
For the most part I agree with this (excluding Cape May and Ocean City, NJ as they are much more family friendly and less trashy).... This is why I was looking for something a little out of our comfort zone - Family likes beach/pool/rides/boardwalk, so that is why I came up with the original hit list.

OC Maryland would be fine, nothing spectacular for family.  OBX is nicer.

To me if you are not golfing Hilton Head is terrible

Have you ever been to PIgeon Forge/Gatlinburg?  Maybe 11h drive from you.  Really fun family stuff, right next to the Great Smoky Mtn NP.  Spend one day going to arcades and minigolf, riding go-carts, another day hiking through the National Park, another day at Dollywood.  Even a day trip over to Asheville (1.5h). 

DC is also a great stop if heading south.  Spend a night there, two days going to all the Smithsonians.  Then continue on down to wherever you're going.

If you are doing this trip around August/September, crabbing in the southern NJ marshes is a blast. I recommend the Dividing Creek area.  Your might get a little dirty and get a couple bug bites, but it's awesome pulling up some tasty blue claw crabs. 

Have you ever been to PIgeon Forge/Gatlinburg?  Maybe 11h drive from you.  Really fun family stuff, right next to the Great Smoky Mtn NP.  Spend one day going to arcades and minigolf, riding go-carts, another day hiking through the National Park, another day at Dollywood.  Even a day trip over to Asheville (1.5h). 

DC is also a great stop if heading south.  Spend a night there, two days going to all the Smithsonians.  Then continue on down to wherever you're going.
Hiking, camping, and that kinda stuff is probably out, one of the kids is still an infant...

Rehoboth Beach, DE.

Looks great (if you want to go in September). Pretty much too late to find anything decent in NJ, ND, Del, VA for this summer.

I agree with the poster who said all these beaches are the same anyway. Go further south where you're not herded like cattle and are allowed to drink beer on the beach like a real American. You want something outside of the norm? Check out Sunset Beach, NC (just above Myrtle Beach). Its the anti-OCMD. Small island beach town. No bars, clubs, restaurants, stores, condos, high-rises, etc. Ride your bike everywhere, long walks on the beach, surf-fishing, cookouts on the grill, trips to the ice-cream shop in the evenings. Great spot for a family vacation.

took the family to Rehoboth a few years ago...I think they were 4 and 1, something like that

we only spent a few days there but the beach was really nice and there was an old school carnival ride type place Fun Land on the boardwalk that the kids liked.  would recommend but not sure i'd want to spend an entire week there unless you plan to venture out to some other places.  also heard a lot about it being super gay but didn't really notice that.  we worked in a visit to Sesame Place near Philly on the same trip

also have been to Gatlinburg and it's beautiful albeit touristy.  the cabins for rent are really nice and can come with various fun stuff (pinball, air hockey,etc) but we did have 5, 3 and 1 year old and would agree most of the hiking trails not really well suited for small children

Any interest in heading north vs south? Can get up to Maine for a bit of a different experience than the NJ/MD beach towns. I'm with the rest in avoiding the Hilton Head type places with young kids like that, especially if you're not trying to golf if/when you can break free. 

Any interest in heading north vs south? Can get up to Maine for a bit of a different experience than the NJ/MD beach towns. I'm with the rest in avoiding the Hilton Head type places with young kids like that, especially if you're not trying to golf if/when you can break free. 
Curious about this... I mentioned Orchard Beach in the OP, but not much feedback on it.

If you are doing this trip around August/September, crabbing in the southern NJ marshes is a blast. I recommend the Dividing Creek area.  Your might get a little dirty and get a couple bug bites, but it's awesome pulling up some tasty blue claw crabs. 
Blue crabs bro, just blue crabs.

And if you take this advice, to hold the crabs, just grab them by the side of their shells, they can't reach you with their claws that way.

For the most part I agree with this (excluding Cape May and Ocean City, NJ as they are much more family friendly and less trashy).... This is why I was looking for something a little out of our comfort zone - Family likes beach/pool/rides/boardwalk, so that is why I came up with the original hit list.
I gave you the perfect location.  Spend some of your NY cash on a cottage in a good location and you're set.

We can stay at a quality hotel in Rehoboth or OC, MD for about $3300 for the week, or we can stay at the Ritz with airfare included in Grand Cayman for $4k - as much as I'd like to do a 4-5 hour road trip, the economics of this are screaming Grand Cayman.

Users who are viewing this thread