What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Neighbor Issue (1 Viewer)

Building my own fence is obviously an option, but I would first need to have a survey done to find the exact property line (which I do not believe is even in a straight line. I wasn't really looking to have to shell out that much money to resolve this, but I may not have a choice.

The other thing is that the law here is that the pretty side of the fence has to face the neighbor's house. Oddly enough, they care more about fence construction laws than they do what you toss over them.

I may just add to the existing pile of stuff by the fence and make it "Compost Mountain," even if that means having it higher than the fence line.
The "pretty side of the fence" probably has to do with the construction. i.e. they want the horizontal supports on your side. You can still paint either side whatever color you like unless they say otherwise!

I think the key either way is make your fence solid (i.e. not mesh/see through). Once you do that, you've pretty much made your point that he can pump his septic out there if he wants, people will still know it's his crap. That's the message he's sending. He wants to convey a clean and tidy yard image by building a fence, and dumping on the other side. If you have a fence that's not see-through or short enough to dump stuff over, it clearly shows, "This isn't my crap." I bet once the crap is re-associated with his yard, he'll stop.

I hate people like this BTW. The previous owners of our house were like that. We have a row of pine trees around our back perimeter (border with neighbor), about 10 feet off the property line. Apparently the old owner basically dumped all his kids crap back there. Rabbit hutch, old water feature, old pipes, baseball equipment, etc...When he moved, he left it. We made him come and take it away. After that, I started mowing the other side of the trees when I mowed, and our neighbor became an instant friend because he said the old guy NEVER mowed that side of the trees. He basically had to pay to have it cut or look at 2' tall grass all summer. Some people just have no respect.

Building my own fence is obviously an option, but I would first need to have a survey done to find the exact property line (which I do not believe is even in a straight line. I wasn't really looking to have to shell out that much money to resolve this, but I may not have a choice.

The other thing is that the law here is that the pretty side of the fence has to face the neighbor's house. Oddly enough, they care more about fence construction laws than they do what you toss over them.

I may just add to the existing pile of stuff by the fence and make it "Compost Mountain," even if that means having it higher than the fence line.
I would build a wooden fence just so I wouldn't have to look at the chain link fence. Even the "ugly" side of a wooden fence looks 100x better than a chain link fence.

And even though the "pretty" side would be facing him that doesn't mean that you can't paint it gawd-awful colors on the that side. I am thinking of a pattern where each wooden slat would be different clashing colors (baby blue, orange, pink, canary yellow, purple, neon green, red, silver, hot pink, etc.).

Sorry. Was tied up in a meeting. It's a chain link fence that isn't too too high. Probably like 4 feet tall. They can still see their stuff . . . just on the other side of the fence. Left out one other piece of information that the neighbor claims is huge on his side of the argument. He set his fence like 5 feet off the property line. A zillion years ago when they built the neighborhood, there made a 5 foot wide easement between the property line that runs for like 3/4 of a mile between all the houses to allow access to all the sites for the builders to get to each tract of land. Someone owns that odd shaped piece of land (5 feet by 3/4 of a mile) . . . but it's not me and it's not the neighbor. Neighbor's argument is that 1) he's dumping his stuff on his own property and 2) I don't even own the land that any of it would spill on. Still doesn't change that I have to see the piles of stuff everyday and the wind blows it into my back yard.
you need to find out who owns that strip and buy it immediately.....Then you go back to them and threaton to sue if they don't remove the fense from you newly aquired property.

Are any of your other neighbors selling?

I'd make a homemade sign that says "Danger, beware of Pit Bulls." and put it in my front and back lawn. Then I would tell the neighbor I will take it down exactly 2 months after they stop throwing stuff over the fence.

The cheap, short-term solution would be to post multiple signs in your yard facing his yard all up and down the property line.

KEEP YOUR YARD WASTE ON YOUR SIDE!

I"M NOT YOUR MOMMA SO DONT MAKE ME SPANK YOU

Stay OFF MY LAWN!

My DOG BITES!

If MY DOG DOESN"T GET YOU MY .45 WILL!

NUDE SUNBATHING ON SATURDAYS! OLD BALLSACKS NOT ALLOWED!

SKYNARD ROXXX!!!

May want to add an old couch, multiple lawn chairs, and an empty keg and beer cans in the back with a horseshoe pit, big speaker cabinets, and a pile of firewood.

WHen he asks what you are doing, tell him it's your yard and it's NONEYA BIZZNESS!!

Does he just throw it in one area? If so just go buy one section of that white PVC fence and put it on your property.

In all honesty, if this guy is selling his house, wouldn't it just be easier to let him do it so he can sell quickly so you will no longer have to deal with the ####?

In all seriousness, be careful what you do. I had a serious neighbor problem with a redneck alcoholic who also regularly shot his handgun off behind our houses into the woods. The cops got involved but they wouldn't do crap. Basically unless he tried to or actually did kill me or one of my family members they weren't going to step in. Sure could have gotten a restraining order but the cops said he'd get out in less than 24 and be even more aggressive. Long story short we finally moved. There's a lot of other crap I could explain but I think you get the picture.

Anyways I learned couple years later he got into an altercation with someone pulled his gun fired shots one of the bullets hit a rock ricocheted back and killed him.

I'm not saying move but sometimes the fight ain't worth it. You never know what people are capable of until it's too late.

Fences make better neighbors.

We have neighbors that constructed a fence 5-6 feet off of the property line. They have taken to throwing their yard refuse over the fence on to our side (lawn clippings, dog crap, sticks, etc.). We've sparred over this and they usually stop for a while and then go back to doing it. Their argument is that they intentionally put the fence set off of the property line so they could dump their crap over the fence and still have it on their property. I have gone to the police about this, and they have talked to them about it but do nothing about it. Essentially, they don't want to get involved, as the neighbors claim it's our yard waste and not theirs on our side of the fence.

The neighbors have upped the ante now, as they have taken to collecting their leaves and heaving them on to our side of the fence. Besides the unsightly view of mounds of leaves, they blow all over our yard and then I have to collect and dispose of them myself.

Given all that, what is the appropriate response at this point? Taking whatever they dumped on our side of the fence and flinging it back over into their yard? Leaving them some presents from our dog on their porch or car? Leave a horse's head under their sheets?
You could always go this lady's route when you disagree with your neighbor (or your friend's neighbor)....

12-27-2014 (Parental Advisory: Language; Violence)

What's the appropriate response for that?

[Thanks, Posty!]
:shock: :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread