What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:nerd: or just smart decision making? (1 Viewer)

Where the heck is the Noid(a bit ironic he's the one) when we need him. If he is to the point of figuring out if using a brown paper bag for lunch a week straight or keeping a large bag of snacks near him instead of 'wasting' a plastic baggy each day, this pizza quandry should be a piece of cake for him.

So I am calling Domino's to take home a pizza and some cheesy sticks (wife is going out with some girl friends so it is me, my son, and my 2 daughters that have strep throat tonight). They tell me their specials, of which one is 2 medium 1-toppings and a bread for $14.99. They also have their XLP 1-topping for $9.99, with cheese sticks being $3.99.

So the :nerd: in me immediately asks for the diameter of each pizza, I do a little pi X radius squared and figure out the most pizza per buck spent.

And no, there are not ANY good mom and pop pizza joints within 10 miles of where I live, so spare the "Good pizza down" comments. :)
I've done this before

I'm going to need to know if it were thin slice or deep dish.

:important:
We were worried you had died, or hadn't died. We were just worried
:blush: Work has been hell and I've had actually no free time whatsoever lately. Also, work upgraded it's websense filters....and I actually finagled my access to the forums here. The main site is still blocked...but I can now get to the FFA again. :excited:

So I am calling Domino's to take home a pizza and some cheesy sticks (wife is going out with some girl friends so it is me, my son, and my 2 daughters that have strep throat tonight).  They tell me their specials, of which one is 2 medium 1-toppings and a bread for $14.99.  They also have their XLP 1-topping for $9.99, with cheese sticks being $3.99.

So the :nerd: in me immediately asks for the diameter of each pizza, I do a little pi X radius squared and figure out the most pizza per buck spent.

And no, there are not ANY good mom and pop pizza joints within 10 miles of where I live, so spare the "Good pizza down" comments. :)
2 x 12" is 24" of pizza for $14.991 x 16" pizza for 9.99. I think they are about equal. except you get the bread with the other pizza. 2 for deal sounds better but hey don't trust a Cane bra'
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Damn your complicated math.

2 pizzas for $15 (we'll round) is $7.50 per pizza.  Obviously a better deal. :thumbup:

1 pizza for $10
Not when the pizzas are different sizes...don't you have to take that into account?
Wait. How many slices is the $10 pizza?
The little pizzas have six slices. The big pizza has eight.
12 slices for $15 = 8 slices for $10Chop the pot.

I look forward to reading many more threads of MoP solving math problems
I already thought the guy was super intelligent. Now we find out he's got mad math skillz to boot. Cool.

2 x 12" is 24" of pizza for $14.99

1 x 16" pizza for 9.99. I think they are about equal. except you get the bread with the other pizza. 2 for deal sounds better but hey don't trust a Cane bra'
I hope to God you're kidding.
What is there to explain?24 divided by 14.99 on my calculator is 1.6

16 divided by 9.99 on my calculator is 1.6

Seem to be about equal except you get bread with the 2 for 1 deal...now who has the bad math here?
hint: You don't get a straight line of pizza. It comes in a circle.
I was trying to keep it simple for the Buckeye fans...I know there is a big trig equation attached to this but let's just try and keep it simple. 24" for 14.99 and 16" for 9.99 ;)
Pi R squared down?

I look forward to reading many more threads of MoP solving math problems
I already thought the guy was super intelligent. Now we find out he's got mad math skillz to boot. Cool.
Card carrying member of the MOP fanclub, eh Shick!?
Well, you're either fishing or lack a basic middle school mathematics education. Which is it?

Always get the thin crust. Always. Chicago can bite my ###.
It would really screw MOP up if you used cubic inches of pizza instead of square inches. And it would also be proof positive that thin crust pizza sucks.
Quality pizza is about maximizing the topping:crust ratio. The pizza gets better as A) the number of toppings gets bigger and B) the crust gets smaller.

Always get the thin crust. Always. Chicago can bite my ###.
It would really screw MOP up if you used cubic inches of pizza instead of square inches. And it would also be proof positive that thin crust pizza sucks.
Quality pizza is about maximizing the topping:crust ratio. The pizza gets better as A) the number of toppings gets bigger and B) the crust gets smaller.
:goodposting: This guy gets it.

1 x 16" pizza for 9.99.  I think they are about equal. except you get the bread with the other pizza. 2 for deal sounds better but hey don't trust a Cane bra'
Just leaving this out there is killing me. Call it the teacher in me, but not giving a solid answer to this atrocity is just wrong...Area of a circle = Pi * r^2

Area of the 2 12" pizzas (6 inch radius)

Pi * 6^2 = 36Pi for one pizza

2 x 36Pi = 72Pi square inches

$14.99 / 72Pi = 6.6 cents per square inch

Area of 1 16" pizza (8 inch radius)

Pi * 8^2 = 64Pi square inches

$9.99 / 64Pi = 4.9 cents per square inch

Last edited by a moderator:
22/7 x 36 = 113.14 for the 12 inch pizzas...

22/7 x 64 = 201.14 for the 16 inch pizza.

113.14 x 2 = 226.28 for the 12" pizzas

201.14 for the 16 inch pizza.

The 2 for 1 deal is a better deal as I said uptop but here's the spelled out math requested.
Shick, did this not cover it?

1 x 16" pizza for 9.99.  I think they are about equal. except you get the bread with the other pizza. 2 for deal sounds better but hey don't trust a Cane bra'
Just leaving this out there is killing me. Call it the teacher in me, but not giving a solid answer to this atrocity is just wrong...Area of a circle = Pi * r^2

Area of the 2 12" pizzas (6 inch radius)

Pi * 6^2 = 36Pi for one pizza

2 x 36Pi = 72Pi square inches

$14.99 / 72Pi = 6.6 cents per square inch

Area of 1 16" pizza (8 inch radius)

Pi * 8^2 = 64Pi square inches

$9.99 / 64Pi = 4.9 cents per square inch
It's a wash if you take out the 3.99 for the cheese sticks/bread/whatver from the 2-fer deal...

113.14 x 2 = 226.28 for the  12" pizzas

The 2 for 1 deal is a better deal as I said uptop but here's the spelled out math requested.
Apparently not.

Apparently not.
Isn't Pi 22/7...no? Than you multiply times the radius squared which I did...than you have 2 of the 12" pizzas so I doubled that number...c'mon Mr Kotter...what's wrong with this logic?

Isn't Pi 22/7...no? Than you multiply times the radius squared which I did...than you have 2 of the 12" pizzas so I doubled that number...c'mon Mr Kotter...what's wrong with this logic?
6.6 cents per square inch or 4.9 cents per square inch? Which is the better deal?Forget it. How about you throw a couple insults at a few folks and we'll call it good?

I hope to God you're kidding.
What is there to explain?24 divided by 14.99 on my calculator is 1.6

16 divided by 9.99 on my calculator is 1.6

Seem to be about equal except you get bread with the 2 for 1 deal...now who has the bad math here?
hint: You don't get a straight line of pizza. It comes in a circle.
:lmao:

Isn't Pi 22/7...no?  Than you multiply times the radius squared which I did...than you have 2 of the 12" pizzas so I doubled that number...c'mon Mr Kotter...what's wrong with this logic?
6.6 cents per square inch or 4.9 cents per square inch? Which is the better deal?Forget it. How about you throw a couple insults at a few folks and we'll call it good?
You still didn't answer the question or correct my math. When one of your students makes a mistake do you just tell him/her that their wrong and go right back to insulting the FFA community on your inclass laptop? I don't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't Pi 22/7...no?  Than you multiply times the radius squared which I did...than you have 2 of the 12" pizzas so I doubled that number...c'mon Mr Kotter...what's wrong with this logic?
You still didn't answer the question or correct my math. When one of your students makes a mistake do you just tell him/her that their wrong and go right back to insulting the FFA community on your inclass laptop? I don't get it.
Not a great insult. You've done much better in the past. I guess calling into question my abilities/methodolgy as a teacher is as close as I'll get.

\ 201.14 for the 16 inch pizza. 

MOP, doesn't your cyphering reveal that the 2 12" pizzas represent a better deal?Shick's math indicates that the 16" is a $.017 better deal per square inch. That's without even considering that the 12" pizzas probably have more butt crust to be accounted for.

Maybe you should take a dip in your cement pond and think it over :ph34r: .

Not a great insult. You've done much better in the past. I guess calling into question my abilities/methodolgy as a teacher is as close as I'll get.
1. I don't think I can get you any more irritated than you must be already since you have stopped responding to all my PMs.2. Why would I want to take potshots at you since in general I like your posts even when we disagree? You have always been a favorite poster of mine...well you were anyways.

3. You have the ability to suspend me from the FBG boards and since I like surfing on this site and enjoy the threads in both the Shark Pool and the FFA...why would I want to cut my nose off to spite my face?

Now is 22/7 = to Pi...yes or no?

MOP, doesn't your cyphering reveal that the 2 12" pizzas represent a better deal?Shick's math indicates that the 16" is a $.017 better deal per square inch. That's without even considering that the 12" pizzas probably have more butt crust to be accounted for.

Butt crust...is that part of the pizza? Do you ever get crustless pizza?

Why are so fixated on this? No. 22/7 is not Pi. Its a close approximation, but it's not Pi. That said, this has nothing to do with why your logic is flawed.What constitutes a better deal? If not price per square inch, then what? How do you define "better deal"?

Butt crust...is that part of the pizza? Do you ever get crustless pizza?
If I make it myself, it has very little real estate that is not covered by toppings :thumbup:

Damn your complicated math.

2 pizzas for $15 (we'll round) is $7.50 per pizza.  Obviously a better deal. :thumbup:

1 pizza for $10
Not when the pizzas are different sizes...don't you have to take that into account?
Wait. How many slices is the $10 pizza?
My wife can not get beyond this. Every time she's trying to figure out how large or how many pizzas to get, she always asks how many slices it is. :bag:

So I am calling Domino's to take home a pizza and some cheesy sticks (wife is going out with some girl friends so it is me, my son, and my 2 daughters that have strep throat tonight). They tell me their specials, of which one is 2 medium 1-toppings and a bread for $14.99. They also have their XLP 1-topping for $9.99, with cheese sticks being $3.99.

between nerd and smart, I'd rate this: CHEAP.

Why are so fixated on this? No. 22/7 is not Pi. Its a close approximation, but it's not Pi. That said, this has nothing to do with why your logic is flawed.What constitutes a better deal? If not price per square inch, then what? How do you define "better deal"?
I don't understand why everyone uses 22/7, when 16*atan(1/5) - 4*atan(1/239) is SO MUCH more accurate.

113.14 x 2 = 226.28 for the 12" pizzas

Apparently not.
Hint> now take cost into the equation.

I don't understand why everyone uses 22/7, when 16*atan(1/5) - 4*atan(1/239) is SO MUCH more accurate.
Have you thought using the Gregory-Leibniz Series?pi/4 = 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ...

Have you thought using the Gregory-Leibniz Series?pi/4 = 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ...
or just remember that pi is 3.14159

Users who are viewing this thread