What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Never mind the experts - how do YOU like your team’s draft? (2 Viewers)

Denver and Chicago had the best drafts (on paper) that I’ve seen from either team in a while. 
Agree with the Bears but as for Denver, I can't believe Fields and Mac fell to them and they passed. They are turning the keys of a playoff ready race car over to Bridgewater or Lock. That decision really could be the difference between picking top 10 again next year and making a playoff run. Their front office really needs to pray Fields and Mac Jones bust or this is going to look an epic draft failure. 

Jets get an A+++.  Jealous. 
I really like what the Jets did except I think they got the wrong QB. I hope I am wrong but Wilson at 2 is questionable to me. 

Texans fan(unfortunately) 

Don’t understand the mills pick because next year they can just grab a qb in the first couple of picks but everything I read said he would have gone higher if they had more tape on him at Stanford. 

love the nico pick even though it was a costly trade Up. 

getting brevin Jordan, who was supposed to gone in the 2nd-3rd round in the 5th was pretty awesome. Overall a C+/B-
I am so sorry for you being a Texans fan. And this is coming from a lifelong Lions fan. Houston is completely clueless. 

Agree with the Bears but as for Denver, I can't believe Fields and Mac fell to them and they passed. They are turning the keys of a playoff ready race car over to Bridgewater or Lock. That decision really could be the difference between picking top 10 again next year and making a playoff run. Their front office really needs to pray Fields and Mac Jones bust or this is going to look an epic draft failure. 
I initially thought the same, but friend of mine in Colorado had this to say about that: “they have Teddy B - if he isn’t the answer, they take a QB of the future next year. They weren’t sold on either jones or   Fields as a fit for their scheme & they think Bridgewater might be.”

I’m not a Denver fan, but in that light it does make sense. It’s risky for 2021, but I guess if it doesn’t work out, the upside is that they pick early again & the team gets that much better for 2022. 

I initially thought the same, but friend of mine in Colorado had this to say about that: “they have Teddy B - if he isn’t the answer, they take a QB of the future next year. They weren’t sold on either jones or   Fields as a fit for their scheme & they think Bridgewater might be.”

I’m not a Denver fan, but in that light it does make sense. It’s risky for 2021, but I guess if it doesn’t work out, the upside is that they pick early again & the team gets that much better for 2022. 
I don't know how anyone can feel confident about Bridgewater after last year.  Also it's not so easy just to take the future QB next year. If Mac didn't fit their scheme and neither did Fields, they must be rather particular about their QB type. What are the chances they are in position to draft the guy they like next year? Also their team seems pretty well set-up right now. So they are losing this year with  the Lock/Teddy doomed to fail experiment and then maybe punting 2022 with a rookie who will likely need a year or maybe 2 to get up to full speed. By then the window is potentially closed. This is the last year Sutton is under contract, Chubb is going to be really expensive to resign, Von Miller is 32 and on his last year under contract, Kyle Fuller is only on a 1 year deal, etc. Maybe they have a plan to get Aaron Rodgers, but it seems to me like they really should have gone in an one of those QBs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point but its almost like Elway wants Rodgers enough to where he's not thinking about the future with a rookie QB,  but winning right now.  If that deal falls through then this year could be a problem.

I have no idea what you guys see in Fields. Anytime he has to throw it 20+ yards he has two take two steps. I know he’s listed at 6’3”, 220+ but I dont think that’s accurate. 

I have him as a bust. 
He l measured at his pro day 6'2.6" 227. 

Texans fan(unfortunately) 

Don’t understand the mills pick because next year they can just grab a qb in the first couple of picks but everything I read said he would have gone higher if they had more tape on him at Stanford. 

love the nico pick even though it was a costly trade Up. 

getting brevin Jordan, who was supposed to gone in the 2nd-3rd round in the 5th was pretty awesome. Overall a C+/B-
I like the players drafted, but sacrificing picks for nico was tough imo. Sure seems like they’re preparing for life after watson though. Tough couple off seasons for you Texans fans. 

I like nico, and Jordan might actually have a shot with the te depth chart there, but I’ve also said that about Akins and Warring. 

I liked the trask pick.   Perfect situation for him and they had no qb behind ancient brady
I don’t mind drafting a QB, I just don’t think Trask has enough arm to make it happen. Will be happy to be wrong. 

He’s very accurate though. 

I don’t mind drafting a QB, I just don’t think Trask has enough arm to make it happen. Will be happy to be wrong. 

He’s very accurate though. 
He has arm. But he is a bit slow on release. And lethargic in his movements and worse his reads. 

Lions fan- we’re killing it this off-season. I was really hoping we would trade Taylor decker and his “I’m shuffling with my hands up blocking nobody” “I’m not getting vaccinated” attitude. I wanted moehrig and Cox but I’ll roll with the guys we took.

LIOOOOOOOONS!

He has arm. But he is a bit slow on release. And lethargic in his movements and worse his reads. 
I’ve seen a ton of gators games. I agree except for on the arm. He breaks down when the pocket gets hot too. Not sure he has enough arm but he also hasn’t played a ton of games either. Maybe there is more upside than usual. 

I’ve seen a ton of gators games. I agree except for on the arm. He breaks down when the pocket gets hot too. Not sure he has enough arm but he also hasn’t played a ton of games either. Maybe there is more upside than usual. 
Then you know better than what I saw on limited volume. 

If they were the case, the shark move is to trade back from 9.  Allegedly bears offered a 2022 #1, which would probably be high if Fields busts.  That plus Broncos own #1 would give the ammo to trade into the top 2 or 3, putting them in a GREAT position to reboot if Teddy/Lock can't get it done.

I think Broncos nailed this draft. 
I agree. But as many have pointed out, they are still relatively weak at QB.

In today’s NFL, that’s a legit liability.  They seemingly have a complete team outside of the QB room. Good defense, solid OL, good RB.

That said, I’m more of a Lock fan than most around here (and I only kinda like Lock) and Teddy B was pretty inconsistent last year. One of those dudes needs to step up if the Broncos are going to have a snowball’s chance in hell in that division. 

It’s great to have that plan to run run run till daddy takes the t-bird away, but when the Chiefs drop a 20-burger on them in the 1st half, they’re gonna struggle to catch up without some exceptional QB play. And KC’s defense arguably improved this draft. 

New England always drafts well, but Chicago?  Yeah, this was an anomaly.  If they can somehow grab a starting cb and some wr help after the preseason cuts, they might actually have a decent chance at the division if the Rodgers debacle keeps going downhill. 
Um, what?  And I'm a long-standing Patriots fan.

I have this weird, uneasy feeling about the Bears' draft, which I think is... hope?

Justin Fields Justin Fields Justin Fields Justin Fields

I don't normally like trading up, but it's hard to complain much about either of their trade-ups.

A lot of good picks besides Fields. Teven Jenkins, Khalil Herbert, Thomas Graham. And no real bad ones.

Carolina Panthers: F-

You know your draft is bad when the player drafted thinks the call is to pick him up as a UDFA https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/1388638236587724807

ESPN had our 3rd round pick graded out as an UDFA and lower than our 6th pick at the same position  Apparently his arms are too short to be successful.  How can you top that?  How about drafting a TE that can't catch.  Now that's a quality pick in todays NFL.  

Even the first round pick was an easy 1/2 reach.  Worse yet, they passed on a franchise QB OR someone offering a 2022 1st round pick to drop back to a spot where the guy you drafted should have got.

Carolina Panthers: F-

You know your draft is bad when the player drafted thinks the call is to pick him up as a UDFA https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/1388638236587724807

ESPN had our 3rd round pick graded out as an UDFA and lower than our 6th pick at the same position  Apparently his arms are too short to be successful.  How can you top that?  How about drafting a TE that can't catch.  Now that's a quality pick in todays NFL.  

Even the first round pick was an easy 1/2 reach.  Worse yet, they passed on a franchise QB OR someone offering a 2022 1st round pick to drop back to a spot where the guy you drafted should have got.
I was so worried y’all were gonna grab Fields. I actually laughed out loud when Goodell read the name. I couldn’t believe it. 

Um, what?  And I'm a long-standing Patriots fan.
Wow, with all the SB wins, I just took for granted that they drafted well. After your post, I actually looked it up and their last 5 or so drafts were shockingly bad. 

Thanks for calling me out on that, it gave me a good reason to research that. 

Wow, with all the SB wins, I just took for granted that they drafted well. After your post, I actually looked it up and their last 5 or so drafts were shockingly bad. 

Not meaning to call you out, just thought everyone knew how badly they have drafted in the last half dozen years.

What’s interesting is their recent drafts haven’t been very good which means they didn’t re-sign their own players . . . which left them with a cap surplus to sign free agents. 

I know that the perception is teams that load up on free agents don’t win, but IMO none of them were coached by BB and most of them were bottom feeders.

I think NE will be more competitive this year than last year. It remains to be seen if they can develop Jones into anything. 

One of the issues they have had is drafting guys with injury histories. They had way too many misses on them over the years compared to the occasional hit (Gronk for example).

What’s interesting is their recent drafts haven’t been very good which means they didn’t re-sign their own players . . . which left them with a cap surplus to sign free agents. 

I know that the perception is teams that load up on free agents don’t win, but IMO none of them were coached by BB and most of them were bottom feeders.

I think NE will be more competitive this year than last year. It remains to be seen if they can develop Jones into anything. 

One of the issues they have had is drafting guys with injury histories. They had way too many misses on them over the years compared to the occasion hit (Gronk for example).
I agree with your first point.  I think, even though he would never admit it publicly, Belichick punted last year.  He coached them up as best he could but that wasn't the best personnel job he could have done.

I could not agree any more with your last point - I'm so tired of Belichick taking people with significant injury histories.  I don't expect home run picks every time but I'd be happy as hell with more doubles and triples and not whiffing so often.

I agree with your first point.  I think, even though he would never admit it publicly, Belichick punted last year.  He coached them up as best he could but that wasn't the best personnel job he could have done.

I could not agree any more with your last point - I'm so tired of Belichick taking people with significant injury histories.  I don't expect home run picks every time but I'd be happy as hell with more doubles and triples and not whiffing so often.
NE has actually gotten way more production from UDFA’s than they have from their second round picks. For years and years. That is mind boggling. 

Analytic look at 18 'expert' grades combined and averaged for an over-all look how each team's draft graded out.

--------------------

Michigan Football Analytics@mfbanalytics

just what i wanted to see from @benj_robinson and @fboutsiders

! grades are cool to look at after the draft but they don’t predict anything for the future

LINK to chart 📈 of 18 'expert' grades

49ers....meh

I'm excited by the Sermon pick but that's about it.  Even he is an injury risk.  We gave up a lot this year so we need Lance to be the next Mahones.

I recognize that 85% of these picks will amount to nothing but a hill of beans on all these teams

Dolphins: C

Trade down from 3 to 12 to get 2 future 1st and a 3rd: A+

Trade up from 12 to 6, giving up a 2022 first, to get Waddle. Incomplete, but for now a D. 

Trade up in the 2nd from 50 to 42, giving up a 2022 3rd, to get OT Eichenberg: D.

Lots of high picks are busts, especially WRs.  Having 2 firsts in 2022 would've also been insurance for the possibility of drafting another QB, in case Tua underwhelms in 2021 - we'll know if he's the solution at QB by November.

P.S. Slater and some combination of Marshall and Dyami Brown (or both) would've been available in hindsight, in the 2021 draft. BTW, Miami likely gave up a higher first in 2022 (their own, keeping the SF 1st).

I'm not going to say that all of the Jets' picks will work out, but was pleased to see a Jets' GM prioritize putting their young QB in a position to succeed. Love that they added an elite IOL and offensive weapons to support Wilson. 
I thought the Jets nailed it. Bigtime talent at QB, then solid IOL. They have a defense that’s already very good, so it made sense to go offense-heavy. They added a RB in Carter who should be better than what they had. Then they still managed to bolster their D with potential quality at LB & DB.

the only pick I didn’t like at the time was Moore, just because I’m a Crowder fan and believe he’s worth the $. But from a football front office perspective, getting a replacement to shed $10+ mil in cap space makes all the sense in the world. If he’s as good as Crowder, it was a sharp pick.

I have the Jets as an A. 

No idea about most of the players the Eagles drafted.  But I love that they picked up another first rounder in 2022 and still got one of the big 3 WRs.  They could potentially have 3 firsts next year (c'mon Wentz).  For that alone, I give them a B.    

Broncos fan - 

I don't follow college football or a lot of pre-draft scouting beyond the first 10-15 players so I have to rely on "expert" opinion of players and I guess Broncos did well.  But here's the thing: I don't think anyone they picked up is a 2021 starter. 

Broncos did not draft for need, at least need for this year.  A lot of guys that can compete to start, and are likely to start next year, and a lot of depth, which is great I guess, but this team was 5-11 last year and I'm not sure the starting 22 got better.

Our starting needs were QB (but I'm ok with not addressing that), right tackle, center, and middle LB.  I guess Meinerz can play C and Browning can play MLB so both question marks at addressing any team needs.

Surtain may end up being a HoF CB but I wanted a T or MLB in day 1 or 2.
Bronco fan here--I really like the draft.

I saw the needs at the start as RB/OL/LB/CB/EDGE and Denver really checked those boxes. I wish they would have picked up an additional OL prospect, but maybe they will address that from the undrafted pool of players. 

It is hard to be patient, but with Paton in charge, this is going to be a process. Denver was already one of the youngest squads last year and I bet we are close to that this year. I am so happy we didn't go after Fields. I may eat my words, but I am just not seeing him as the answer for Denver.. As someone mentioned above, Denver needed all the healthy CBs and defensive players they can get to slow down these AFC West offenses and they got that. The way I see it (if there isn't a surprise in June), Drew and Teddy get their shot this year. If it doesn't pan out, fine. Another losing season--high draft pick. but then Denver goes all in on a veteran QB or sees what is available in the draft. Meanwhile all these young guys we have now are getting experience and will be better positioned when this team is ready

Bronco fan here--I really like the draft.

I saw the needs at the start as RB/OL/LB/CB/EDGE and Denver really checked those boxes. I wish they would have picked up an additional OL prospect, but maybe they will address that from the undrafted pool of players. 

It is hard to be patient, but with Paton in charge, this is going to be a process. Denver was already one of the youngest squads last year and I bet we are close to that this year. I am so happy we didn't go after Fields. I may eat my words, but I am just not seeing him as the answer for Denver.. As someone mentioned above, Denver needed all the healthy CBs and defensive players they can get to slow down these AFC West offenses and they got that. The way I see it (if there isn't a surprise in June), Drew and Teddy get their shot this year. If it doesn't pan out, fine. Another losing season--high draft pick. but then Denver goes all in on a veteran QB or sees what is available in the draft. Meanwhile all these young guys we have now are getting experience and will be better positioned when this team is ready
my concern is that by the time we find the next great QB, the youngsters will have "graduated".  unrestricted FA's after this season: Von, Bridgewater, Fuller, Gordon, Callahan, Kareem Jackson, Patrick, Alexander Johnson, Sutton.  That's a lot of pending FA's, and probably what this draft was about addressing - Surtain, Williams, and the safeties for sure.  I think most of these guys will walk - they will want to get paid or play for a contender.  If we don't get improved QB play, it will be impossible to convince these guys we are a contender and they should stick around.

Not meaning to call you out, just thought everyone knew how badly they have drafted in the last half dozen years.
I've really haven't had time to really look at the whole draft process like I have in the past with my new career so I missed it. I pretty much just follow Chicago, Denver and Philly (my home team).

Washington fan. I'm VERY happy with our draft. I'd give it a solid A. The old regime would have reached for a QB, and I'm honestly glad we didn't as I think Fitz is going to play well with all the weapons we have. They did a beautiful job addressing the biggest needs on the roster (LB, O Line, CB, WR, TE, S) and by all accounts, got very good character guys too. Ron has done a fantastic job over the last 2 drafts and this is clearly a team on the rise. On a side not, as a Gibson fan and owner in multiple dynasty leagues, I'm very happy they didn't draft a RB. Gibson is going to get fed and fed often this year IMO. 
Well said, and agree 100%.  My biggest fear was that we'd trade up to grab Fields.  I've had my fill of OSU QB's.  Very system-oriented, professional draft.  It's clear Danny boy had probably less influence than he has in years.  No flashy pick at #1 - just a guy who can step in and help.  Love the Cosmi pick too - 1st round talent by many accounts in a position of need.  The other picks are all needs, and I don't know enough about them to hate them, so I'm good!

Also - same thoughts on RB (no fantasy implications here...).  Not our biggest need.  

Patriots

1 #15 Mac Jones QB - a bit of a "tank" season for the Patriots last year and it paid off ... as it often does, getting the Pats a pick in the top half of the draft for a change.

I like this pick as it gives the offense the option to pass the ball. Unlike last season with fancy hat Newton and passing was not an option ... ever.

2 #38 Christan Barmore DT - run defense was an issue last year and this cat can also push the pocket. I would love for him to be somewhat of an Aaron Donald type but that's probably pie in the sky thinking. Maybe an AD Lite (or heavy in this case)

I didn't mind the trade up to get him that cost 2 - 4th round picks. You can only roster so many so why not use extra picks to upgrade the player.

3 #96 Ronnie Perkins Edge - Bit of a swing for the fences here being this guy had the drug suspension. Drafting value but also for need. Win, Win. Although they pretty much needed every position. Defense was bad last year. ... and the blueprint is out ... QB pressure is how you beat KC, the best team in the AFC.

4 Rhamondre Stevenson RB - big back, almost a FB, that can pass block and catch. I'm thinking a replacement / upgrade from FB James Devlin.  Ceiling being a bruising everydown back ala Marshon Lynch / Frank Gore.

5, 6, 7th rounds - some guys that will play special teams or won't make the roster.

I liked this draft compared to just about every other draft by the Pats over the last decade. Some actual names that we recognize.

Draft Grade: A-

Colts fan, I give them a D.

Paye COULD be great but didn't have the sack production in college to warrant being picked at 1.21

Dayo is likely out at least half the year while recovering from a told Achilles. Hard to justify a 2nd.

All others won't start unless the TE they grabbed late surprises.

Because I hate it means it's likely an A+ 😆

Colts fan, I give them a D.

Paye COULD be great but didn't have the sack production in college to warrant being picked at 1.21

Dayo is likely out at least half the year while recovering from a told Achilles. Hard to justify a 2nd.

All others won't start unless the TE they grabbed late surprises.

Because I hate it means it's likely an A+ 😆
Colts fan here’s too and I think Ballard really knows that the defense is fueled by a big pass rush rotation. Risks for sure but he’s got the track record indicating he knows exactly how to draft. 

Users who are viewing this thread