What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New Job didn't pay me - (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Ullman

Footballguy
Listen to this nonsense. I recently started a new job that pays weekly. I finish my 2nd week of training today and coincidentally, was supposed to get my first weeks pay today.

I wake up today. No paycheck (direct deposit).

I call my branch (it's a large call center). No answer, sent to voicemail. I call the payroll department. "Your account is so new, we're having trouble opening it. Call your local branch." Great.

I go online to our payroll website. It tells me to create an account. "We're unable to verify your identity with the information provided. Please call your local branch." Great.

I was pulled out of training yesterday in regards to my Social Security number. Allegedly, somebody had used it there in the past. Which, I don't believe since nothing comes up on my report on Social Security dot gov.

They want a copy of my Social Security Card to verify my number, which of course, I haven't had in years. It's never been an issue, as I've kept the number in my head. I kind of dismissed the lady in HR and decided to tackle the issue on Monday.

Now, however I've connected the dots. I didn't get paid and cannot be adequately served by the HR department because they haven't verified my Social Security Number. Pretty upset that the HR lady made no mention that this would prevent me from getting paid.

So I go online to order a new Social Security Card. 

"Thank you for requesting a replacement of your Social Security card on October 26, 2018.

You will receive another email when your request has been reviewed. Most applicants will receive their replacement Social Security card in 7 to 10 business days. "

7-10 business days. That puts me anywhere between November 6-10 before I will even receive the replacement card, let alone waiting for my company to fix the error and process the direct deposit.

That's going to be 4-weeks pay all at once but I was kind of counting on this money to:

1.) Buy schoolbooks. Classes started Monday. I toughed it out without books until this Friday. Won't have the actual books I need for another 2 weeks at this rate.

2.) Car insurance. It was due on the 16th. I delayed it until the 31st. Now it will cancel.

3.) Food and Gas. I was and still am scraping by on lunch meat sandwiches for lunch. I've got a 3/4 tank of gas. Which will last me another week, then what?

4.) Gym membership. Annual fees were due on the beginning of October. Told the gym I'd pay my membership today. Now I can't workout.

5.) Dental crown. I have a temporary crown in my mouth. I'm supposed to get that replaced next week but will have to cancel the appointment at this rate as goods are deliverable on payment.

6.) Drinking and other entertainment expenses. I'm 26 years old. If I want to go out for lunch. Go out for drinks. Smoke some weed. Go to the movies. Place a sports bet. That's all not happening for another 2-weeks.

7.) Get a haircut. This sounds dumb, but I've literally been putting off getting a haircut to pay for food and gas instead.

Do you see how ridiculous this is now getting? I am now enrolled in college with no schoolbooks. The car insurance I need to drive to work will cancel at the end of the month. I have no money to party on Halloween weekend (and only a few good years left to get blackout drunk). I will run out of gas and food. I have a gym membership I can't use, a full mop of hair that needs to get cut, and a temporary crown that looks absolutely ridiculous in my mouth.

I'm essentially a slave at this point until I receive my replacement Social Security Card in the mail. I'm going to have to run to Mom and Dad for money to eat and put gas in car (embarrassing). I'm going to miss out on all forms of entertainment and physical fitness for the next two weeks (love giving up 2 weeks of gains at the gym). All over some nonsense and technicality.

Now, don't construe this as complaining. Things could be worse. I could be dead. I could not have a job, an education, or a car to worry about at all. At some point I will look back at this at laugh.

But as of right now, it's just plain sad. Some of you will derive amusement from this, which is great, enjoy my misery.

All I can do is shake my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you not see this coming?  You had to have filled out an I9 - which requires TWO proofs of identity or a passport for US Citizens.  

Without filling that out, you're technically not an employee right?  So you may not get paid for training.  Congrats on volunteering your services for nothing!

What happened to all the gambling boatloads?
I had to cash in what I had to pay for leftover tuition balance from last semester to get enrolled this semester.

However, a Red Sox sweep may offer me a reprieve, assuming I get this book to payout in a timely fashion.

LINK 

I am looking forward to the next chapters in this story:

- "Why Do The Cops Keep Hassling Me And Demanding To See My Papers? Something Should Be Done About This."

- "Why Do They Make Me Show Government I.D. When I Try To Vote? Something Should Be Done About This."

- "Just Because I Forgot To Get Health Insurance, That's No Reason To Turn Me Away At The Hospital. Something Should Be Done About This."

How did you not see this coming?  You had to have filled out an I9 - which requires TWO proofs of identity or a passport for US Citizens.  

Without filling that out, you're technically not an employee right?  So you may not get paid for training.  Congrats on volunteering your services for nothing!
That's the thing. I did have two forms of identification. Already filled out my I9 on day 1. Used my driver's license and birth certificate.

Their hangup is that they're saying that s former employee used the same Social Security number in the past. Which honestly, still baffles me and if there weren't other stressors bearing down on me, I might take more umbridge with.

Guessing they don't want to pay me, assuming they think I'm trying to steal someone else's Social Security number?

maybe mom and dad can float you a loan?
Unfortunately, this looks like the likely outcome. I've got until next Wednesday before anything of circumstance comes from this (insurance cancels).

So I'm just going to tough it out until then. Still haven't gone down to the HR Department in person and screamed at everyone yet.

I feel like they should be able to call the Social Security Officr and have them confirm my information. But on a Friday with a company this large, I'm not holding my breath.

Unfortunately, this looks like the likely outcome. I've got until next Wednesday before anything of circumstance comes from this (insurance cancels).

So I'm just going to tough it out until then. Still haven't gone down to the HR Department in person and screamed at everyone yet.

I feel like they should be able to call the Social Security Officr and have them confirm my information. But on a Friday with a company this large, I'm not holding my breath.
Good Luck - I would think explaining to HR that you need to get paid, you might be able to find a sympathetic ear!

rockaction said:
Em, watching you combust gives me no pleasure. Stick to the gambling thread and learn from ChainsawU. They dig you guys there.  
Oh, this is Em?  I guess I need to pay more attention.  I was wondering where dude went.......   :mellow:

Oh, this is Em?  I guess I need to pay more attention.  I was wondering where dude went.......   :mellow:
It's Stuart for all intents and purposes. Leaving it at that. Wasn't Stuart Ullman the great poker player that died of alcohol and cocaine poisoning in LV? I think so. I read McManus's Positively Fifth Street (or something) on a plane and remembered the anecdote. There are two ways to look at the name choice of the user, and I'll also leave it at that.  

Stuart Ullman said:
They want a copy of my Social Security Card to verify my number, which of course, I haven't had in years. It's never been an issue, as I've kept the number in my head.
Of course.

proninja said:
Now imagine you're an undocumented worker and this is a way of life rather than a momentary inconvenience. 
Meaning he would be paid cash and not have any taxes withheld?  I don't know Em, but I imagine he would be OK with that.

It's Stuart for all intents and purposes. Leaving it at that. Wasn't Stuart Ullman the great poker player that died of alcohol and cocaine poisoning in LV? I think so. I read McManus's Positively Fifth Street (or something) on a plane and remembered the anecdote. There are two ways to look at the name choice of the user, and I'll also leave it at that.  
oof

proninja said:
Now imagine you're an undocumented worker and this is a way of life rather than a momentary inconvenience. 

But you do it anyway because you want what's best for your family. Busting your ### and getting taken advantage of. 

Then you're vilified by the very people your labor profits that have every advantage you don't. 
:standingovation:

rockaction said:
Em, watching you combust gives me no pleasure. Stick to the gambling thread and learn from ChainsawU. They dig you guys there.  
Then dig chainsaw.

I lost my ss card when I was a teenager. Never got a replacement card and I’m 50. Haven’t need it since I haven’t had a new job in 25 years and they just took my word for it. Hope this helps. 

no, he's saying he's too stupid to ask them to cut a physical check.   Worst Friday thread ever.
He's saying he's living paycheck to paycheck and needs the money now because he has little-to-no savings. It's a bad Friday thread, but which of those are actually good around here?  I keep hearing about Friday threads and have to go back to Man In The Yellow Hat and Saints-Man to find one.  

proninja said:

But you do it anyway because you want what's best for your family. Busting your ### and getting taken advantage of. 

Then you're vilified by the very people your labor profits that have every advantage you don't. 
This is really an astute quote, in my humble opinion. I'll let it speak for itself.  

Stuart Ullman said:
So I'm just going to tough it out until then. Still haven't gone down to the HR Department in person and screamed at everyone yet

Tip: When you do, avoid the person who has a sign on their desk reading  “A failure to plan on your part should not constitute an emergency on my part.”

Just as another point of reference, I have never provided a ss card
Wasn't necessary until weeding out all the undocumented aliens became important.  Guess who Em gets to thank for his current problem? (hint: it isn't Obama)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread