What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New puppy training talk (1 Viewer)

offdee said:
My pup is at a point where he pretty much refuses to walk on a leash.  He'll sit and lay at the end of the driveway....I'd have to drag him to make him move.  

The only way I can get him to actually walk is to carry him a few blocks away from the house and then say "let's go home" and then he'll walk the way back to get back home.  

Luckily he's a small guy (about 8 lbs now- he'll be about 15lbs as adult), so easy to carry and doesn't need a ton of exercise, but still need him to get on board for some outdoor exercise.

Any advice?
training treats in the pocket.  give him a treat for walking by your side.  do it like 20 times during a walk.

offdee said:
My pup is at a point where he pretty much refuses to walk on a leash.  He'll sit and lay at the end of the driveway....I'd have to drag him to make him move.  

The only way I can get him to actually walk is to carry him a few blocks away from the house and then say "let's go home" and then he'll walk the way back to get back home.  

Luckily he's a small guy (about 8 lbs now- he'll be about 15lbs as adult), so easy to carry and doesn't need a ton of exercise, but still need him to get on board for some outdoor exercise.

Any advice?
Don't have real advice for not wanting to walk - but if he does start walking and begins pulling.  Our trainer recommend working with a long lead, 15-20 feet.  This way the dog can sniff and move around without "pulling".  With a standard lead of 4-6', the size of the pup and your arm length takes up most of the lead and then they are already pulling when they start moving.  She recommended practicing in yard or parking lot before going on "walks".  Work on the command "with me" with treats.  In house walk with the dog and say with me while holding treat close to pup.  Practice changing direction and rewarding when they do.  Then outside once they start pulling go other direction and say with me, reward when they do.  At the beginning you will be going backwards more than making progress on your walk but should get to the point that you can say with me to keep from pulling.  This works pretty good with me.  My wife likes the Halti harness/lead, she can walk pup hardly holding lead and he doesn't pull.

This is what I was going to post. Crate training is huge and helps with many things.
The only thing I’d add is I’ve seen crate “training” overdone. Friend of mine had the sweetest chocolate lab and she has a permanent limp from being in a crate for too long. Put a limit on it. We had our lab on a crate as well. Necessary in the beginning and they actually feel safer as well. But grow them out of it ASAP

I gotta read up here.  Otis family pup arrives next week.  I have no idea what I'm doing.

Can someone give me Cliff's notes or a link to whatever the heck we should do re: training??

I gotta read up here.  Otis family pup arrives next week.  I have no idea what I'm doing.

Can someone give me Cliff's notes or a link to whatever the heck we should do re: training??
I have a Google doc of everything I researched and did (about 2-3 pgs). I can share it with you if you pm me your gmail address 

Brought home pup yesterday. I slept on floor outside his crate last night, body feels not great so that is not going to continue.  Will move it to our bedroom on the main level of house. Took pup out 1230, 330 and he was up at 630.
Some whining each time he was out in but not too bad I guess. Thanks for the notes and links all.
He’s a smart little lab, potential to be locally impressive. Trainer lady coming next 4 Mondays to give him and us some skillz. 

Any advice?
Dogs can understand English.  Explain to Maxwell why you want him on a leash.  It is good for you but what will he get out of it?

Also, do you know if he does not like the leash or how you yank on it?  Always remember to look at things from your dawg’s perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:

You gotta set the rules of engagement early on.  And you must be consistent, otherwise you throw the rule out of the window.

Dogs will seek your permission on different things.  Just know that if you let him do what he wants just one single time, there is no turning back.

You gotta set the rules of engagement early on.  And you must be consistent, otherwise you throw the rule out of the window.

Dogs will seek your permission on different things.  Just know that if you let him do what he wants just one single time, there is no turning back.
Agreed 100%.  It’s often hard for people to grasp that this isn’t the same type of relationship as human to human, where there’s give-and-take and you are generally speaking in “asking” tones.  I tell this to my wife all the time with our very well behaved pup who does not listen to her at all.  It’s because my wife asks our dog to do something (in her tone) where as I tell our dog to do something.  

Agreed 100%.  It’s often hard for people to grasp that this isn’t the same type of relationship as human to human, where there’s give-and-take and you are generally speaking in “asking” tones.  I tell this to my wife all the time with our very well behaved pup who does not listen to her at all.  It’s because my wife asks our dog to do something (in her tone) where as I tell our dog to do something.  
Dogs know they are cute and they use this Knowledge to their advantage every chance they get.

Dogs know they are cute and they use this Knowledge to their advantage every chance they get.
This and they’re wired to constantly look for who’s in charge within the pack, if they do not since who that is they assume it’s them. 

This and they’re wired to constantly look for who’s in charge within the pack, if they do not since who that is they assume it’s them. 
I agree that dogs will put household members in a pecking order.  I have always enjoyed preferential treatment but some people are not so lucky.

Not sure if helpful or not to anybody getting a new puppy, but I went through this thread and summarized into reference notes for myself. Sharing here and will be adding to this doc as I see more words of wisdom

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SeJv0pRnVxomNWhx9AkWUOuJtvK0rqEdlkPyjd92rvY/edit?usp=sharing
I used Crawford Animal Hospital for my English Bulldog back about 15 years ago or so. Had them keep her for a weekend once, and when I went to pick him up, the ugliest, scariest transvestite of a human came walking out from in back. A guy that really just wanted to play dress up.... Scarred me for life. :lmao:

I have read this...also wrapping top lip under teeth so they bite down and hurt themself (basically feel the pain it causes and stops). My guy is so little he doesn’t have much lips to play with...pressing down against teeth is prob only option for me
The woman we are adopting from today told me to get a Nyla bones or real bones made in the USA

Can you expand on this?

We're adopting a dog today (Rat Terrier-Dachshund Mix), she's 8 weeks. 

Going to keep reading this thread.......
Clicker training

- Click sound reinforces a behavior you want your dog to do (sit, paw, potty, etc)

- When dog does what you command, you click immediately and then positive reinforcement with “good dog” and give a treat.

- Give Command → Click after they do it → Good dog → give treat  

- The click sound allows dog to focus and connect behavior with a treat reward

- Continue doing this until they are constantly doing it

Clicker training

- Click sound reinforces a behavior you want your dog to do (sit, paw, potty, etc)

- When dog does what you command, you click immediately and then positive reinforcement with “good dog” and give a treat.

- Give Command → Click after they do it → Good dog → give treat  

- The click sound allows dog to focus and connect behavior with a treat reward

- Continue doing this until they are constantly doing it
And for something like recall (come), click as soon as they turn towards you, don't wait until they get back to you

@Otis how is the new pup doing?
Super cute and super huge pain in the ###. Honestly the combination of him and our 3 year old has been brutal. We spent the first couple days questioning what we had done. We love him and he’s sweet and all, but lately the thing that’s drives us most nuts is all the biting—people, not so much the furniture—and all the jumping up. He’s just a ball of energy and constantly wants to play aggressively. I just want to chill. Likely sending him to “puppy camp” (obedience school) for two weeks that was recommended by a friend — she said it was life altering and well worth it. Anything to get him to behave a little better would be great. thst said, he’s a good dog and cute, and when he’s not a nut case he’s pretty cool. And he at least hasn’t had an accident indoors for like a week, so we seem to be in a rhythm on that front.  I do need to start walking him at the curb in the street soon, after he gets his next round of shots, because he’s absolutely brutalized the lawn in my yard.

but really it’s all great 

because he’s absolutely brutalized the lawn in my yard.
Yeah my pup is 8 months now and we have a 5 yr old daughter so much of your post held true for us too.  She’s trained well at this point so we’re past the pain point you’re in but my grass is destroyed.  The yellow/dead spots are everywhere.  I worked my ### off over the past 2 years to get that grass right and now I don’t know what to do.  Super frustrating.  

Super cute and super huge pain in the ###. Honestly the combination of him and our 3 year old has been brutal. We spent the first couple days questioning what we had done. We love him and he’s sweet and all, but lately the thing that’s drives us most nuts is all the biting—people, not so much the furniture—and all the jumping up. He’s just a ball of energy and constantly wants to play aggressively. I just want to chill. Likely sending him to “puppy camp” (obedience school) for two weeks that was recommended by a friend — she said it was life altering and well worth it. Anything to get him to behave a little better would be great. thst said, he’s a good dog and cute, and when he’s not a nut case he’s pretty cool. And he at least hasn’t had an accident indoors for like a week, so we seem to be in a rhythm on that front.  I do need to start walking him at the curb in the street soon, after he gets his next round of shots, because he’s absolutely brutalized the lawn in my yard.

They say the first 6 months is when a lot of the "puppy" stuff plays itself out.   The nipping is usually due to the puppy teething and the pressure on their gums soothes them a bit. My guy did a lot of that too and at 5 months it's easing up a bit now.   I looked at it I'd rather he try to chew on our fingers than on all the nice furniture, so spun it into a positive.  Puppies are gonna chew on stuff, that's just how it is. Around 6 months is when their adult teeth come in so hopefully that gets better then.  

My guys loves these gnaw sticks and it keeps him busy for an hour at a time and gets some of that chewing energy out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075H2XVYB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the walking him to the curb to do his business front, that sounds great and all but you'll get annoyed pretty quick with how often and inconvenient that will be.    They have supplements that you can give dogs that supposedly make their urine less acidic and helps.  You could also try to get a fake grass mat, put that in an inconspicuous area in the backyard and try to train him to go on that area only.   I believe there's also a lawn spray that you can do to the area that he goes to help. Just some ideas.

My pup is overall pretty good, but we just want him to be as perfectly trained as we can, and they say to wait til 5 months old to start the obedience schools as that is when life really starts to click for them and their true long-term habits form.   All the time before 5 months is when they are just learning the world and what they can and can't get away with.    Our guy turns 5 months in about a week and on July 10th he's going to a 3 week obedience boot camp to work through all the little nuances we'd like to perfect.    The trainer said he refuses to work with dogs younger than 5 months old because it's not as impactful.  He also highly encouraged to not wait to do it much past 5 months old to not allow bad habits to set in.  Sucks he's going to be away from us for 3 wks, but long-term will set the stage for him to be very obedient and curb any negative traits that would be much harder to correct down the line.

Dogs, grrrrrr

Get off my lawn

Getting ready to ship our pup back. (Not really but.....)

We just cannot get her potty trained. Take her out 1/2 hour after she eats or drinks and stay out with her for 30-60 mins. Every now and then she'll do her duties and we praise her like she won the Super Bowl, give her treats. But 75% of the time she does nothing and within 5 -10 mins of getting back in, she'll poop or pee in the house. Sometimes she'll pee on the pee pad, but never poops there. A couple times we caught her starting to poop and yelled and got her outside to finish, but we cannot keep eyes on her 100% of the time.

Just at my wits end

ETA she's not dumb, she's mastered the sit command, and we got her leash trained in a couple days too. I just don't get it

Our little guy is 11 weeks and things are going well, knock on dogwood. Sleeping like 1030-6something. Loves to swim in the river and makes the walk back and forth pretty well. I take him each night around 8 then upon return home and humping the towel while drying off, he konks out until bed.  Likes other dogs a lot.
Our kids are getting used to him and him with them. We keep him to being near us in the house and have had a trainer by twice to tell us what to do. If we left him roam the house or yard he’d wreck everything so we keep him dragging a leash most the time and he stays close. Clicker and treats x a million for good stuff (I suck at this, wife is awesome), keep him nearby, water bottle for biting.  It’s getting better slowly. 

They say the first 6 months is when a lot of the "puppy" stuff plays itself out.   The nipping is usually due to the puppy teething and the pressure on their gums soothes them a bit. My guy did a lot of that too and at 5 months it's easing up a bit now.   I looked at it I'd rather he try to chew on our fingers than on all the nice furniture, so spun it into a positive.  Puppies are gonna chew on stuff, that's just how it is. Around 6 months is when their adult teeth come in so hopefully that gets better then.  

My guys loves these gnaw sticks and it keeps him busy for an hour at a time and gets some of that chewing energy out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075H2XVYB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On the walking him to the curb to do his business front, that sounds great and all but you'll get annoyed pretty quick with how often and inconvenient that will be.    They have supplements that you can give dogs that supposedly make their urine less acidic and helps.  You could also try to get a fake grass mat, put that in an inconspicuous area in the backyard and try to train him to go on that area only.   I believe there's also a lawn spray that you can do to the area that he goes to help. Just some ideas.

My pup is overall pretty good, but we just want him to be as perfectly trained as we can, and they say to wait til 5 months old to start the obedience schools as that is when life really starts to click for them and their true long-term habits form.   All the time before 5 months is when they are just learning the world and what they can and can't get away with.    Our guy turns 5 months in about a week and on July 10th he's going to a 3 week obedience boot camp to work through all the little nuances we'd like to perfect.    The trainer said he refuses to work with dogs younger than 5 months old because it's not as impactful.  He also highly encouraged to not wait to do it much past 5 months old to not allow bad habits to set in.  Sucks he's going to be away from us for 3 wks, but long-term will set the stage for him to be very obedient and curb any negative traits that would be much harder to correct down the line.
Like said above the nipping is probably teething pain.  Nylabones worked well for us, last forever.  Also gave our pup ice cubes, seemed to help with the teething. He loved them, weird thing is now he's about 9 months and it was hot out so I thought, ice cubes you used to like them.  Put a  couple by them and he just let them melt... Anyhow, just something that worked for us you might want to try.

We just cannot get her potty trained. Take her out 1/2 hour after she eats or drinks and stay out with her for 30-60 mins. Every now and then she'll do her duties and we praise her like she won the Super Bowl, give her treats. But 75% of the time she does nothing and within 5 -10 mins of getting back in, she'll poop or pee in the house. Sometimes she'll pee on the pee pad, but never poops there. A couple times we caught her starting to poop and yelled and got her outside to finish, but we cannot keep eyes on her 100% of the time.

Just at my wits end

ETA she's not dumb, she's mastered the sit command, and we got her leash trained in a couple days too. I just don't get it
We were pretty lucky with the potty training, only 2-3 accidents.  We always took him out on a regular basis, especially after eating, sleeping or playing in the house.  One thing our trainer said was to "not waste an accident".  Take the toweling you wipe the pee up with and put it outside where you want them to do their business.  Same with poop inside, take it and put where you want them to go.  Don't want to leave a punch of poop in the yard but don't pick up right away so they go to that spot.  Also make sure you clean the area they had the accident in the house with one of those "miracle clean" to get the smell out of the floor so they don't think that's where they should be going.

One thing she also mentioned was how long does a baby go before being potty trained?  Or go without an accident?  I know many people have the perfect pup, but don't have unrealistic expectations.  Good luck!

Funny you’re doing the obedience school too. I assume everyone would make fun of me for that. Seems so totally worth the money and 2-3 weeks away for a long term well behaved dog 

Just at my wits end

One tip — our guy had a few accidents in the kitchen and seemed to go to the same place. There is a spray you can get that you’re supposed to clean with which removes all scent and prevents them from seeing it as a place that they should go. You have to clean up the accidents with this stuff.  We had a few accidents inside the first week, but literally nothing since. And he sleeps through the night 10:30-6:30 without incident. On the whole I suppose he’s doing pretty well. 

For the accidents, this is where crate training is essential. You take the dog out, and then back in the crate, especially if it didnt actually go to the bathroom

@Otis my pup did the biting thing as well, especially with my little guy who was 3ish. We found that allowing her to play with other dogs eliminated it immediately. Not sure if you have that option. she realized that nipping other dogs was ok, doing it to people was not. 

For the accidents, this is where crate training is essential. You take the dog out, and then back in the crate, especially if it didnt actually go to the bathroom

@Otis my pup did the biting thing as well, especially with my little guy who was 3ish. We found that allowing her to play with other dogs eliminated it immediately. Not sure if you have that option. she realized that nipping other dogs was ok, doing it to people was not. 
I’ve noticed that makes it much better. We’ve had two “doggy play dates” and after our dog ran wild and played with another day for an afternoon, he was so much more chill and we’ll behaved that evening and even the whole next day.   And less biting and jumping up. 

I’ve noticed that makes it much better. We’ve had two “doggy play dates” and after our dog ran wild and played with another day for an afternoon, he was so much more chill and we’ll behaved that evening and even the whole next day.   And less biting and jumping up. 
Yep that tracks here too. Have really only done that once with an extended backyard puppy play & beers session on Father’s Day.  Need to do more in the neighborhood once more vet/shots stuff.

Our guy turns 5 months in about a week and on July 10th he's going to a 3 week obedience boot camp to work through all the little nuances we'd like to perfect.
What is the deal with this? Do they actually leave for 3 weeks? Our lab pup turns 5 months July 4th , sweetheart but the chewing is insane. We keep giving him different chew toys etc when he starts

Yeah my pup is 8 months now and we have a 5 yr old daughter so much of your post held true for us too.  She’s trained well at this point so we’re past the pain point you’re in but my grass is destroyed.  The yellow/dead spots are everywhere.  I worked my ### off over the past 2 years to get that grass right and now I don’t know what to do.  Super frustrating.  
If you can either walk him or carry if you have to to your back fence line. Get him to do his bussiness there praise and treat when he goes there. Do that for a little while he may start going just there. I did that with my dogs worked great. Don't really have to shovel crap anymore and that's great when your dog is the size of horse.

If you can either walk him or carry if you have to to your back fence line. Get him to do his bussiness there praise and treat when he goes there. Do that for a little while he may start going just there. I did that with my dogs worked great. Don't really have to shovel crap anymore and that's great when your dog is the size of horse.
Thanks. My wife and I have talked about doing a version of that, we have a area in our backyard that is DG and would work.  It’s just hard to find the effort after spending so long getting her trained. We’re finally out of that stage where we’re having to constantly watch her like a hawk and she’s learned the rules. To have to put that effort in again feels exhausting, lol.  

Thanks. My wife and I have talked about doing a version of that, we have a area in our backyard that is DG and would work.  It’s just hard to find the effort after spending so long getting her trained. We’re finally out of that stage where we’re having to constantly watch her like a hawk and she’s learned the rules. To have to put that effort in again feels exhausting, lol.  
If your pup is treat oriented it may not take as long as you fear. Thing is though if he is going to be big he may tear up your yard anyway. We have a trail from one fence line to the other. I gave up on my back yard.

If your pup is treat oriented it may not take as long as you fear. Thing is though if he is going to be big he may tear up your yard anyway. We have a trail from one fence line to the other. I gave up on my back yard.
Yeah she’s a boxer and is already 55lbs at 9 months. Will likely settle in at 70 or so. I continue to patch repair my grass as the spots come up but I fear that’s a futile effort to try and keep up.  

We have the spray, I have taken her potty pads outside, left the poop, take her back where she pooped. She just does what she wants. Like I said we can stay outside with her for an hour and nothing. 

In the middle of the night, she will go outside do her duties and back in. I think there's too many distractions during the day.

We have now decided to try using hot dogs as a treat for going outside. Only when she goes outside though. :wall:

We have the spray, I have taken her potty pads outside, left the poop, take her back where she pooped. She just does what she wants. Like I said we can stay outside with her for an hour and nothing. 

In the middle of the night, she will go outside do her duties and back in. I think there's too many distractions during the day.

We have now decided to try using hot dogs as a treat for going outside. Only when she goes outside though. :wall:
I know you said you couldn’t watch her 24/7 but I found that’s pretty much the only way to not have it take forever.  My first 2 dogs as an adult i had very similar results as you.  Both eventually got there but it was painfully slow.  With my current pup we never took an eye off her for a sec, she was fully trained within 2 weeks.  The diligence pays off I promise.  

What is the deal with this? Do they actually leave for 3 weeks? Our lab pup turns 5 months July 4th , sweetheart but the chewing is insane. We keep giving him different chew toys etc when he starts
Yep, he literally goes away to stay with a professional trainer for 3 full weeks.  We drop him off and can only say goodbye for 10mins and then on the second last day we have a 90 minute session to show how we command at home. Then on final day another 90 min session to continue showing us the tricks and commands.  In between, we just get updates on his Instagram page.  Gonna kinda suck for those weeks, but will pay long term dividends just having a stellar pup.   I’ll definitely miss him,  but after 3 months of grinding with all the puppy stuff having 3 wks to just recharge will be pretty nice at some level.  It’s not cheap though. 

She just peed in the kitchen right in front of my wife.

:wall:
Do you immediately yell NO!, scoop her up and take her outside to grass?  That is what you need to do. Even if they don’t need to go anymore they need to understand where the are supposed to go. 

Users who are viewing this thread