What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New puppy training talk (2 Viewers)

Do you immediately yell NO!, scoop her up and take her outside to grass?  That is what you need to do. Even if they don’t need to go anymore they need to understand where the are supposed to go. 
Yell at the top of our lungs. Now she just pooped in the living room, no one saw that

Yep, he literally goes away to stay with a professional trainer for 3 full weeks.  We drop him off and can only say goodbye for 10mins and then on the second last day we have a 90 minute session to show how we command at home. Then on final day another 90 min session to continue showing us the tricks and commands.  In between, we just get updates on his Instagram page.  Gonna kinda suck for those weeks, but will pay long term dividends just having a stellar pup.   I’ll definitely miss him,  but after 3 months of grinding with all the puppy stuff having 3 wks to just recharge will be pretty nice at some level.  It’s not cheap though. 
Can you pm me this camp info?

Do you immediately yell NO!, scoop her up and take her outside to grass?  That is what you need to do. Even if they don’t need to go anymore they need to understand where the are supposed to go. 
Yell at the top of our lungs. Now she just pooped in the living room, no one saw that
I don’t want to beat a dead horse and I know you’re at the end of your rope so I promise you I’m not pounding on you. But you’re not paying attention to the signs. It’s pretty clear when they’re going to start going, they start sniffing around and are giving signals. You just have to pay attention to it. Every time they go in the house it reinforces that they can go in the house. You have to catch them before.  Also if there is an accident in the house be sure to clean up with bleach very good cleaning agent. You have to completely eradicate any scent that may have been left behind.  

Yep, he literally goes away to stay with a professional trainer for 3 full weeks.  We drop him off and can only say goodbye for 10mins and then on the second last day we have a 90 minute session to show how we command at home. Then on final day another 90 min session to continue showing us the tricks and commands.  In between, we just get updates on his Instagram page.  Gonna kinda suck for those weeks, but will pay long term dividends just having a stellar pup.   I’ll definitely miss him,  but after 3 months of grinding with all the puppy stuff having 3 wks to just recharge will be pretty nice at some level.  It’s not cheap though. 
Found a place near me that does this for 3 weeks . 3 grand 

HellToupee said:
Found a place near me that does this for 3 weeks . 3 grand 
yep, not cheap.  Mine will be low $2K (Milwaukee).

If you break it down for me it's about $100 per day (21 days).   Just to board a puppy or take to puppy day care is comparable to that, and this is much much more for the long term good of the pup and our family than that.

The nice thing about mine is that he also can board the dog in the future for $50 for every 24 hrs and while pup is there there he continues training to perfect what he originally taught, or any new issues that we want to get worked on.   He only does this for dogs he's trained in the past (doesn't board new dogs he's never worked with).  So, we'll always have a resource to take the pup when we need to be away on a trip or whatever and training will continue whenever we want (or if he's developed an annoying habit we want corrected, just take him there for a day or two to get it worked on)

dkp993 said:
I don’t want to beat a dead horse and I know you’re at the end of your rope so I promise you I’m not pounding on you. But you’re not paying attention to the signs. It’s pretty clear when they’re going to start going, they start sniffing around and are giving signals. You just have to pay attention to it. Every time they go in the house it reinforces that they can go in the house. You have to catch them before.  Also if there is an accident in the house be sure to clean up with bleach very good cleaning agent. You have to completely eradicate any scent that may have been left behind.  
@Mr.Pack Yep, potty training sucks but needs to be done and kept on top of until they get it.  One day it just seems to click.

I'd personally recommend you starting over with potty training and acting like it's day 1 again.   New approach of positivity over yelling and just commit to taking outside every 30 mins.   Here are my potty training notes I referenced when I started, if helpful...

Overall Training

Keys = repetition and positive reinforcement

Repetition can be ruined by other family members if they aren’t consistent with you. Make sure they are aware of the important keys to not confuse the puppy

Say “NO” a lot (catch them in the act and say it immediately)

No feeding human food (don’t let him get the taste of that and start begging all the time)

Potty training

Start at around 8-10 wks (if wait to 12 wks, much harder)

As soon as you see they want/start to go, get them outside

Don’t yell or stick nose in it...stay positive!

If they accidently go inside, then just say No, No, No but then still take to outside grass so he knows that’s where he was supposed to go (no treats!)

First 2 wks, need to be unrelenting and excessive... take them out every 30 mins

Every time they drink water or eat

Every time they wake up from a nap

Keep them enclosed in Kitchen on wood floors for them to visually be able to see outside sliding door where he needs to go

When outside looking to go, be vocally repetitive  (say Potty over and over until they go, so they know it’s time to do this when outside)

Once he goes, over the top praise them and give a treat!  

Have an outdoor box of treats at the ready so always have them there to praise and give him right away after going.

Make sure they know this was the correct time to go with positive reinforcement

Treats immediately after going outside, not inside (don't ever reward for bad behavior)

Crate training

This is a must as dramatically reduces issues when away (potty in house and chewing on things)

Make the crate your dogs safe den...they find comfort and solitude in there

Primary purpose of crate training is housetraining as they won’t pee where they sleep. 

Also as a way to limit their access to the rest of the house while they learn other rules like not chewing on stuff, etc.

Crate dogs until they can be trusted not to destroy house (after that it’s a place they should want to go voluntarily)

Never:

Don’t use crate as a punishment (needs to always be thought of as a happy place)

Don’t leave in crate too long 

Crate size should be just large enough for them to stand up and turn around in (don't give them room to go potty and then not have to sleep on it)

Training should be a series of small steps (don’t go too fast)

Step 1) Introduce to crate

Put crate in area that family spends lots of time

Soft blanket and Anxiety dog with heartbeat inside crate 

Keep door open and let the dog explore the crate on their own time

If hesitant to use

Take over by crate and talk in happy tone of voice

Encourage dog to enter by treats nearby, just inside door and also all the way inside back of crate  (if end up not doing it with treats, toss favorite toy in)

DO NOT force them to enter!  

Step 2) Feed dog meals inside crate

After introduction to crate, 

If hesitant to go in, put food and water bowl next to crate to create a pleasant association with crate

If still reluctant to go in crate, only put food/water as far inside crate as willing to go.  Each time feed them put it a little further back

Once dog inside crate eating meal, close the door behind them

After first meal, open door as soon as they finish meal

With each meal after, leave the door closed a few minutes longer after they have finished, until they’re calmly staying in the crate for 10 mins after eating

If begin to whine to be let out, length of time in may have been increased too quickly...next time do a minute or two less

If they continue to cry don’t let them out until they stop...otherwise they’ll learn that the way to get out of the crate is to whine so they’ll keep doing it.

Step 3) Practice with longer crating periods

After dog eating meals inside crate with no fear or anxiety, confine them for short periods while I’m still at home

Call over to crate and give a treat

Say “Go see Bella!!” (name of Anxiety stuffed dog) and encourage them by pointing to inside of crate with treat in hand

After dog enters, praise them, give treat and close door

Sit QUIETLY near crate for 5-10 mins and then go in a different room for a few mins.   Return, sit QUIETLY again for a short time then let them out of the crate

Repeat this process several times a day, gradually increasing the length of time you leave them in crate and also increasing time being out of sight

Goal to complete this step is get them in crate for 30 mins with me out of sight (this may take several days to weeks to complete)

Step 4) Crate dog when leave house

Put them in crate with “Go see Bella!” command, treat and some safe toys for them to be with (Anxiety dog with heartbeat)

Crate them anywhere from 5 mins - 20 mins before leaving...vary the amount of time before leaving to get them not anticipating

Don’t make departures long or emotional..be matter of fact

Praise dog briefly, give them a treat and then leave quietly

When return home don’t be excitable and use a loud voice

Keep arrivals low-key so they learn to stay chill when people come into house

Continue to crate dog for short periods while home so they don’t associate crating with being left alone

Crate dog when not home for first year (through approx. April 2021)

Step 5) Crate dog at night

Initially put crate in bedroom next to bed

To hear when stirring and need to go potty

So they don’t associate crate with social isolation 

So they see us and learn that night time is for sleeping 

In reach length to smell your hand and you can talk to them to reassure

TIPS: 

Remove food and water bowls at 7pm 

Put in divider panel for overnight so only room to lay down and sleep (basically close off the space where the food and water bowls were)

Raise crate off bedroom floor so same level as bed and can see us 

Put a blanket or towel over top of crate for darkness

For first 3 days (if whining a lot), put a heating pad on low under a blanket to associate warmth sleeping with litter mates

Use Anxiety Dog with beating heart to associate sleeping with litter mates (Always associate the crate with comfort when sleeping or home alone)

Once dog sleeping comfortably through the night, begin to gradually move it to the preferred location in the house

When take out overnight, don’t talk to him or engage at all...just take out to go potty and then right back to bed.  Make sure they know overnight is not playtime.

Whining will likely happen...need to determine if it’s whining to be let out or whining to go potty  

If whining to be let out, just ignore (or if crate close to bed, can touch them to soothe)

DO NOT yell or tap on crate to stop...always positive!

If whining doesn’t stop after ignoring, use the phrase for going potty..if they respond excitedly take them outside

This potty trip is with a purpose and not playtime or loving

Every time they stir in middle of night, get up and take them out (be matter of fact..out and back in)

If convinced whining is not to go to bathroom, then just need to stay strong in ignoring..don’t give in or dog will learn they will eventually get their way by whining.

Could be up to 3-4 nights of constant whining but stick through it and they will eventually learn.

The suffer is well worth the ultimate payoff once comfortable in crate

Keep dog in crate overnight for first year (through approx. April 2021)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t get it.  Our family had many kinds of dogs - pure breeds and mutts.  They all behaved very well without training.  We just put down some newspaper and they automatically knew to pee there.
well, peeing in the house at any time (even on newspaper, puppy pads, etc) is not something I'd ever teach a dog.  Outside = potty.  Inside = no potty.  

well, peeing in the house at any time (even on newspaper, puppy pads, etc) is not something I'd ever teach a dog.  Outside = potty.  Inside = no potty.  
Really like what you said about not sticking their nose in it. I never could understand why people do that. The dog doesn't understand what your doing and probably thinks why the hell is my human sticking my nose in this. I mean when there pups it's the same as a human baby they are going to go to the bathroom you just have to recognize the signs. Dogs respond better to positive reinforcement than they do negative.

Our pup is doing great with one exception. He plays incredibly rough with my wife only. Bites, barks, humps. No one else. 

Our puppy is getting a lot better with time. Had a trainer over today for a little while. He brought two big dogs he’s working with now, including a big German shepherd that was so ridiculously well trained, followed him everywhere stood perfectly at attention next to him at all times. No leash no nothing, just at his side and followed every command. Our pup had a great time playing with them, the trainer taught my wife a few things (heyooo). We’re definitely going to send him away to training camp with the guy for 2-3 weeks in August while we get away for a bit. We’ll miss him but the break will be nice after some stressful puppy time, as noted above by others, and well with the investment for great behavior in the future. All that said he’s getting dramatically better and easier with each passing week. House trained, no accidents, no issues sleeping through the night or being in his crate for 3-4 hours at a clip if we go to the beach or something. Still jumps up and bites, but normal puppy stuff. Our girls are no longer afraid of him and even play rough with him, and he’s starting to learn his place in the pecking order. Drove us nuts initially but we’ve grown to love him and he’s gotten tons easier.  After the training I imagine it’ll be even better still. But we’ve made huge strides in a short period of time. Mrs O couldn’t stand him at first but now he clearly her favorite in the house. No doubt she’ll be so sad to be away from him. He’s definitely become part of the family. 

I have no advice other than they desperately need crate training and structure, and sometimes you have to be a little rough and stern with them to show them who is boss. Once they get it, it gets a whole lot easier. 

Our pup is doing great with one exception. He plays incredibly rough with my wife only. Bites, barks, humps. No one else. 
As Otis just eluded to, it’s a pecking order dominance thing.  The dog feels its order in the house is above your wife within “the pack” so that needs to get rewired now. Your wife will need to put in a little work establishing her dominance and control.  

As Otis just eluded to, it’s a pecking order dominance thing.  The dog feels its order in the house is above your wife within “the pack” so that needs to get rewired now. Your wife will need to put in a little work establishing her dominance and control.  
Some of it is just physical. And not to say abusive or looking to hurt him, but he needs to be manhandled a little when he gets out of control. Sometimes I just grab him and pin him to the ground when he’s particularly nutty and biting at us. Initially we were so afraid to be physical with him at all, but it turns out they need a little bit of that, the same way their mother in the wild would get physical with them. I think they need structure and they need some physicality. As we’ve started to figure that part out it’s gotten easier. He’s almost 30lbs already—getting way bigger than we anticipated—and so you kind of need to get physical with him especially as he’s getting bigger. Even my nine year old now will put him in his place, and she wouldn’t do that before. 

YMMV

Ps dogs are stupid 

Yep, understood....it’s just not working. We have a professional dog trainer who can’t figure it out. 

Some of it is just physical. And not to say abusive or looking to hurt him, but he needs to be manhandled a little when he gets out of control. Sometimes I just grab him and pin him to the ground when he’s particularly nutty and biting at us. Initially we were so afraid to be physical with him at all, but it turns out they need a little bit of that, the same way their mother in the wild would get physical with them. I think they need structure and they need some physicality. As we’ve started to figure that part out it’s gotten easier. He’s almost 30lbs already—getting way bigger than we anticipated—and so you kind of need to get physical with him especially as he’s getting bigger. Even my nine year old now will put him in his place, and she wouldn’t do that before. 

YMMV

Ps dogs are stupid 
I agree here, and I’ve mentioned it to my wife and the trainer but neither want to “go there”. Of course, I’ve done it and guess who he listens to and doesn’t nip?  Go figure. 

Our puppy is getting a lot better with time. Had a trainer over today for a little while. He brought two big dogs he’s working with now, including a big German shepherd that was so ridiculously well trained, followed him everywhere stood perfectly at attention next to him at all times. No leash no nothing, just at his side and followed every command. Our pup had a great time playing with them, the trainer taught my wife a few things (heyooo). We’re definitely going to send him away to training camp with the guy for 2-3 weeks in August while we get away for a bit. We’ll miss him but the break will be nice after some stressful puppy time, as noted above by others, and well with the investment for great behavior in the future. All that said he’s getting dramatically better and easier with each passing week. House trained, no accidents, no issues sleeping through the night or being in his crate for 3-4 hours at a clip if we go to the beach or something. Still jumps up and bites, but normal puppy stuff. Our girls are no longer afraid of him and even play rough with him, and he’s starting to learn his place in the pecking order. Drove us nuts initially but we’ve grown to love him and he’s gotten tons easier.  After the training I imagine it’ll be even better still. But we’ve made huge strides in a short period of time. Mrs O couldn’t stand him at first but now he clearly her favorite in the house. No doubt she’ll be so sad to be away from him. He’s definitely become part of the family. 

I have no advice other than they desperately need crate training and structure, and sometimes you have to be a little rough and stern with them to show them who is boss. Once they get it, it gets a whole lot easier. 
Awesome to hear!  This is absolutely the cycle, a few weeks of full attention paid and some frustration then pure love and becoming a member of the family.  Dogs rock. 

YMMV

Ps dogs are stupid 
100%. I mentioned this a few pages back but getting physical with a dog (especially the bigger breeds) is necessary imo.  Now hurting them is absolutely out of the question.  But the pin down is what I do too. They are animals and understand the physicality.   

Bought some of these as well and our puppy loves them too!  Thanks for the recommendation.
Nice!  I just ordered the variety pack of those things to see what shape/thickness he likes best and lasts the longest (sticks, curls, barbells, etc).   With the straight sticks, the other night I watched him basically take the whole thing down his throat like Jenna Jameson.

Nice!  I just ordered the variety pack of those things to see what shape/thickness he likes best and lasts the longest (sticks, curls, barbells, etc).   With the straight sticks, the other night I watched him basically take the whole thing down his throat like Jenna Jameson.
Our pup was walking around with half the stick sticking out of the corner of her mouth and it looked like she was smoking a cigarette LOL.  We just bought a pack of the straight sticks to start, but next time we'll probably try the variety pack as well.

This is why I always had Labs, you could train them to deal cards if they would get a treat or some food afterwards. They do tend to have a destructive puppy phase, but they grow out of it fairly quickly. 

Awesome thread, will go back and read because we just got our first pup a few days ago (English lab).  We've had a few accidents on the floor and she's pretty bitey but otherwise no complaints so far.  

Our pup had one that was around 2-3" left.  I was a little nervous with this but thought no big deal...all of sudden it was gone and I was all WTF?  Quick googled "my dog swallowed a bully stick" and found many had this issue.  Was worried would need to take to vet but seemed to digest or pass it just fine.  Latter I got a plastic clamp to hold when they would get short, worked until he started getting more interested in the clamp...anyhow now I just ignore it, but do take them away when they start getting too short if I notice soon enough.

Our pup had one that was around 2-3" left.  I was a little nervous with this but thought no big deal...all of sudden it was gone and I was all WTF?  Quick googled "my dog swallowed a bully stick" and found many had this issue.  Was worried would need to take to vet but seemed to digest or pass it just fine.  Latter I got a plastic clamp to hold when they would get short, worked until he started getting more interested in the clamp...anyhow now I just ignore it, but do take them away when they start getting too short if I notice soon enough.
Yep this is what I do too...when they get short and mostly slimy just toss em. The incident i referred to above was basically a brand new one he only chewed on for maybe 10mins and he just inhaled it whole!  They get slimy and bendy after a bit so guess it was soft enough to go right down the pipe. No issues after at all. 

@Mr.Pack Yep, potty training sucks but needs to be done and kept on top of until they get it.  One day it just seems to click.

I'd personally recommend you starting over with potty training and acting like it's day 1 again.   New approach of positivity over yelling and just commit to taking outside every 30 mins.   Here are my potty training notes I referenced when I started, if helpful...

Overall Training

Keys = repetition and positive reinforcement

Repetition can be ruined by other family members if they aren’t consistent with you. Make sure they are aware of the important keys to not confuse the puppy

Say “NO” a lot (catch them in the act and say it immediately)

No feeding human food (don’t let him get the taste of that and start begging all the time)

Potty training

Start at around 8-10 wks (if wait to 12 wks, much harder)

As soon as you see they want/start to go, get them outside

Don’t yell or stick nose in it...stay positive!

If they accidently go inside, then just say No, No, No but then still take to outside grass so he knows that’s where he was supposed to go (no treats!)

First 2 wks, need to be unrelenting and excessive... take them out every 30 mins

Every time they drink water or eat

Every time they wake up from a nap

Keep them enclosed in Kitchen on wood floors for them to visually be able to see outside sliding door where he needs to go

When outside looking to go, be vocally repetitive  (say Potty over and over until they go, so they know it’s time to do this when outside)

Once he goes, over the top praise them and give a treat!  

Have an outdoor box of treats at the ready so always have them there to praise and give him right away after going.

Make sure they know this was the correct time to go with positive reinforcement

Treats immediately after going outside, not inside (don't ever reward for bad behavior)

Crate training

This is a must as dramatically reduces issues when away (potty in house and chewing on things)

Make the crate your dogs safe den...they find comfort and solitude in there

Primary purpose of crate training is housetraining as they won’t pee where they sleep. 

Also as a way to limit their access to the rest of the house while they learn other rules like not chewing on stuff, etc.

Crate dogs until they can be trusted not to destroy house (after that it’s a place they should want to go voluntarily)

Never:

Don’t use crate as a punishment (needs to always be thought of as a happy place)

Don’t leave in crate too long 

Crate size should be just large enough for them to stand up and turn around in (don't give them room to go potty and then not have to sleep on it)

Training should be a series of small steps (don’t go too fast)

Step 1) Introduce to crate

Put crate in area that family spends lots of time

Soft blanket and Anxiety dog with heartbeat inside crate 

Keep door open and let the dog explore the crate on their own time

If hesitant to use

Take over by crate and talk in happy tone of voice

Encourage dog to enter by treats nearby, just inside door and also all the way inside back of crate  (if end up not doing it with treats, toss favorite toy in)

DO NOT force them to enter!  

Step 2) Feed dog meals inside crate

After introduction to crate, 

If hesitant to go in, put food and water bowl next to crate to create a pleasant association with crate

If still reluctant to go in crate, only put food/water as far inside crate as willing to go.  Each time feed them put it a little further back

Once dog inside crate eating meal, close the door behind them

After first meal, open door as soon as they finish meal

With each meal after, leave the door closed a few minutes longer after they have finished, until they’re calmly staying in the crate for 10 mins after eating

If begin to whine to be let out, length of time in may have been increased too quickly...next time do a minute or two less

If they continue to cry don’t let them out until they stop...otherwise they’ll learn that the way to get out of the crate is to whine so they’ll keep doing it.

Step 3) Practice with longer crating periods

After dog eating meals inside crate with no fear or anxiety, confine them for short periods while I’m still at home

Call over to crate and give a treat

Say “Go see Bella!!” (name of Anxiety stuffed dog) and encourage them by pointing to inside of crate with treat in hand

After dog enters, praise them, give treat and close door

Sit QUIETLY near crate for 5-10 mins and then go in a different room for a few mins.   Return, sit QUIETLY again for a short time then let them out of the crate

Repeat this process several times a day, gradually increasing the length of time you leave them in crate and also increasing time being out of sight

Goal to complete this step is get them in crate for 30 mins with me out of sight (this may take several days to weeks to complete)

Step 4) Crate dog when leave house

Put them in crate with “Go see Bella!” command, treat and some safe toys for them to be with (Anxiety dog with heartbeat)

Crate them anywhere from 5 mins - 20 mins before leaving...vary the amount of time before leaving to get them not anticipating

Don’t make departures long or emotional..be matter of fact

Praise dog briefly, give them a treat and then leave quietly

When return home don’t be excitable and use a loud voice

Keep arrivals low-key so they learn to stay chill when people come into house

Continue to crate dog for short periods while home so they don’t associate crating with being left alone

Crate dog when not home for first year (through approx. April 2021)

Step 5) Crate dog at night

Initially put crate in bedroom next to bed

To hear when stirring and need to go potty

So they don’t associate crate with social isolation 

So they see us and learn that night time is for sleeping 

In reach length to smell your hand and you can talk to them to reassure

TIPS: 

Remove food and water bowls at 7pm 

Put in divider panel for overnight so only room to lay down and sleep (basically close off the space where the food and water bowls were)

Raise crate off bedroom floor so same level as bed and can see us 

Put a blanket or towel over top of crate for darkness

For first 3 days (if whining a lot), put a heating pad on low under a blanket to associate warmth sleeping with litter mates

Use Anxiety Dog with beating heart to associate sleeping with litter mates (Always associate the crate with comfort when sleeping or home alone)

Once dog sleeping comfortably through the night, begin to gradually move it to the preferred location in the house

When take out overnight, don’t talk to him or engage at all...just take out to go potty and then right back to bed.  Make sure they know overnight is not playtime.

Whining will likely happen...need to determine if it’s whining to be let out or whining to go potty  

If whining to be let out, just ignore (or if crate close to bed, can touch them to soothe)

DO NOT yell or tap on crate to stop...always positive!

If whining doesn’t stop after ignoring, use the phrase for going potty..if they respond excitedly take them outside

This potty trip is with a purpose and not playtime or loving

Every time they stir in middle of night, get up and take them out (be matter of fact..out and back in)

If convinced whining is not to go to bathroom, then just need to stay strong in ignoring..don’t give in or dog will learn they will eventually get their way by whining.

Could be up to 3-4 nights of constant whining but stick through it and they will eventually learn.

The suffer is well worth the ultimate payoff once comfortable in crate

Keep dog in crate overnight for first year (through approx. April 2021)
Pretty much doing all of this. She loves her crate and will take naps during the day in there. She's also sleeping 7-8 hrs a night.

Starting to notice when she has to go out. But the problem is she gets distracted super easily. At night when it's dark, no problem doing her duties. During the day, with a park right behind out house and all the wildlife around us, she gets super distracted. She is getting better at doing both though.

Re: the Bully Sticks, she loves them, but gets the diarrhea a little after eating one. Going to try letting her have only half next time I give her one. 

Ironic statement since bully sticks are made with Bull penis.

Got the variety pack and my guy clearly prefers the "Springs" shape.   I was hoping that's what he'd gravitate to as the shape avoids him swallowing whole and because of the curves he can't just get it all in his mouth right away so lasts longer.   Gonna go with those moving forward.

Puppies typical go through a teething period when they are 4 to 6 months old.  Some teething toys would be helpful during these 2 months.
Anyone have recommendations for good teething toys for a lab puppy?  We just got ours a week ago, she's about 2 1/2 months old and pretty well behaved but loves to chew on anything that goes near her mouth.  I would love to get a few things that might keep her occupied so she's not constantly biting my hands.  

yep, not cheap.  Mine will be low $2K (Milwaukee).

If you break it down for me it's about $100 per day (21 days).   Just to board a puppy or take to puppy day care is comparable to that, and this is much much more for the long term good of the pup and our family than that.

The nice thing about mine is that he also can board the dog in the future for $50 for every 24 hrs and while pup is there there he continues training to perfect what he originally taught, or any new issues that we want to get worked on.   He only does this for dogs he's trained in the past (doesn't board new dogs he's never worked with).  So, we'll always have a resource to take the pup when we need to be away on a trip or whatever and training will continue whenever we want (or if he's developed an annoying habit we want corrected, just take him there for a day or two to get it worked on)
My pup has been at the 3-week training boot camp for about 5 days so far.   The trainer has an Instagram account where he provides daily updates, pics and videos so cool to see the progress.

So far in less than a week the latest update was: We added in the rest of the commands today! We need more repetitions still, but he now knows sit, down, place, out, let's go, come, heel, wait, in, off and ok to release.  He's going to be one SMART puppy!

And videos show him doing many of these things successfully with tail wagging like crazy so he looks to be enjoying it there.   2 more weeks to go, so should get great repetitions and structure.  Miss the little guy though!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCgqwKaHVoM/?igshid=1pd6hsh9wae2t

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCoYav5HMNR/?igshid=moxo2kmp8iii

My pup has been at the 3-week training boot camp for about 5 days so far.   The trainer has an Instagram account where he provides daily updates, pics and videos so cool to see the progress.

So far in less than a week the latest update was: We added in the rest of the commands today! We need more repetitions still, but he now knows sit, down, place, out, let's go, come, heel, wait, in, off and ok to release.  He's going to be one SMART puppy!

And videos show him doing many of these things successfully with tail wagging like crazy so he looks to be enjoying it there.   2 more weeks to go, so should get great repetitions and structure.  Miss the little guy though!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCgqwKaHVoM/?igshid=1pd6hsh9wae2t

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCoYav5HMNR/?igshid=moxo2kmp8iii
Max comes home Friday after 3 wks with the obedience trainer. All reports are praising him so excited to see his progress!  A good video of some of his learnings posted today....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDPT37zHJpQ/?igshid=1b85d7up5b4sg

Glad pup is coming home tomorrow. Hope it’s a great outcome. Our lab is 4 months next week and has settled into a good predictable routine for us.  For are slowly introducing more freedom in the house and working on commands again.  We pushed hard in the beginning to praise crate stuff and not biting and have gotten lazy.  

Max comes home Friday after 3 wks with the obedience trainer. All reports are praising him so excited to see his progress!  A good video of some of his learnings posted today....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDPT37zHJpQ/?igshid=1b85d7up5b4sg
Our little guy is back home!  He’s still the same pup, just much more alert, calm and responsive now. Definitely worth the time and investment as can already see it paying dividends after just a couple of hours home. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDUG50PH8os/?igshid=1carnwdfqv7od

Our little guy is back home!  He’s still the same pup, just much more alert, calm and responsive now. Definitely worth the time and investment as can already see it paying dividends after just a couple of hours home. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDUG50PH8os/?igshid=1carnwdfqv7od
Oh my, how the training boot camp worked!  Take my guy for a walk now and he’s in a near perfect heel and starts and stops with me.  I don’t even hold the leash on walks anymore! His nipping is gone and he’s noticeably more attentive, responsive and calmer. He’s a joy to be around!

@Mr.Pack highly recommend Balanced Canine Academy located in South Milwaukee, if still having issues. 

Users who are viewing this thread