What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

new workplace gripe - they are taking away a week's vacation. ***UPDATE: UNresolved.*** (1 Viewer)

Update: I got an offer from the tech startup. I really like the role, weighing it out right now.

upsides:
  • 100% WFH
  • awesome opportunity to get back into high tech.
  • great personal and professional growth
  • stock options. I have no idea what they are worth. I need more details on this.
  • unlimited sick days
  • 4 "personal health" days

downsides:
  • only 10 days of PTO, plus 7 holidays. There are 4 "personal health" days. And, I assume with 100% WFH, I can do a good bit of "working" remotely.
  • medical is a good bit more expensive.
  • no 401(k)
  • salary is $5k less than I told them I was at now.
  • combine the above three and I need about $15k more than the initial offer. I think that may be within the realm of negotiation.
Obviously, the salary and the PTO are sticking points that need to be discussed further, especially since the whole PTO bit is what sent me down the rabbit hole in the first place.
The fact that a startup isn't paying above rates is a huge red flag IMO. I haven't heard of a tech startup that doesn't bring on people above wage scale due to the risks, unless they are giving huge amounts of options and are near IPO. And startups are really hurting as VCs start to back off of trying for the next unicorn.

I countered their offer, asking for more salary and PTO using my current as justification. They bumped the salary up to $5k short of where I am now and tacked on a $5k signing bonus. As far as PTO, I provided dates of vacations I have booked already, they are going to exclude those from the standard PTO. They also increased my stock options.

So, after one year it nets out to roughly the same as I would expect from anywhere else. If their product takes off, I have the assurance they will re-visit their benefits package (including PTO which they know sucks)...and I will be in a position for a promotion, and I will claw back that salary I'm giving up now. No promises of course, but there is real potential for exponential growth.

If things don't work out after a year, I find something else. Not a big deal. I know my skills are marketable and transferrable, so I'm not afraid to take a chance. And, a one-year stint at a tech start-up would not hurt my resume...at all.

Also, in one year the non-compete I have with my current employer expires, so there's that.

I'm going to accept the offer as soon as I can understand the prospects of the options.
The salary is one thing.

What about the xtra per month that you are paying for your health insurance? And deductible information?

And also the lost 401K match?

Those are big things too. My wife has changed jobs within the last three years, and she spreadsheets out ALL the costs of making a move. I'm sure you are doing that but just wanted to check to make sure you are accounting for all that.

I countered their offer, asking for more salary and PTO using my current as justification. They bumped the salary up to $5k short of where I am now and tacked on a $5k signing bonus. As far as PTO, I provided dates of vacations I have booked already, they are going to exclude those from the standard PTO. They also increased my stock options.

So, after one year it nets out to roughly the same as I would expect from anywhere else. If their product takes off, I have the assurance they will re-visit their benefits package (including PTO which they know sucks)...and I will be in a position for a promotion, and I will claw back that salary I'm giving up now. No promises of course, but there is real potential for exponential growth.

If things don't work out after a year, I find something else. Not a big deal. I know my skills are marketable and transferrable, so I'm not afraid to take a chance. And, a one-year stint at a tech start-up would not hurt my resume...at all.

Also, in one year the non-compete I have with my current employer expires, so there's that.

I'm going to accept the offer as soon as I can understand the prospects of the options.
The salary is one thing.

What about the xtra per month that you are paying for your health insurance? And deductible information?

Those are big things too. My wife has changed jobs within the last three years, and she spreadsheets out ALL the costs of making a move. I'm sure you are doing that but just wanted to check to make sure you are accounting for all that.
oh, of course. I live and die by spreadsheets. it's close enough.

I dont understand. Initially you said they offered you $5k less than what you told them you make now (which I assume you told them you make more than you actually make). Now their counter offer is $5k less than you actually make now? Doesn't that mean they decreased their offer? What am I missing?

Also, you sound sold on this but personally speaking I would never accept a job offer offering LESS than I make now unless I was out of work. I would just keep looking. Thats my two cents.

Honestly, unless this in AI, in this market assume the options are worth close to zero. The IPO window is effectively shut for the time being and so just know you are waiting at least 2-3 years for them to hit (if they will at all). If you are there that long, get promoted, etc.; they’ll should reset the package anyway.

The salary is one thing.

Good for her. Way too many people don't do this and underestimate the level of benefits they're receiving.

I dont understand. Initially you said they offered you $5k less than what you told them you make now (which I assume you told them you make more than you actually make). Now their counter offer is $5k less than you actually make now? Doesn't that mean they decreased their offer? What am I missing?
typo. it was $15k less. obviously I'm not doing that.

Honestly, unless this in AI, in this market assume the options are worth close to zero. The IPO window is effectively shut for the time being and so just know you are waiting at least 2-3 years for them to hit (if they will at all). If you are there that long, get promoted, etc.; they’ll should reset the package anyway.
I think it might be better to be bought out by Google, Amazon, Apple, etc than an IPO.

Users who are viewing this thread