What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Jets 2011 Thread (1 Viewer)

Jets released Ben Hartsock today as well, which clears about 1.5 million, meaning Matthew Mulligan will probably be the new blocking TE.

Random Thoughts:

1) THE DRAFT

LOVE IT!!!!! - If the Pats drafted 660lbs of Beef for their DL in rounds 1-2 in Wilkerson/Ellis people would be on their knees for Bellichik.. Jets got these guys in rounds 1 and 3. I'd much rather draft a guy in round 3 NOW, if I believe this guy is 1st/2nd round talent than trade the pick for next years 2nd rndr and have people slobber over how great I trade picks.

IMO, Rex can Scheme a lot of things, He can't scheme 660lbs of DL talent. Yeah, we need a pass rusher but, build a monster wall and I'm happy with watching Rex create behind that. Jets were a little light in the DL rotation at times.

Not many saw the Jets grabbing another RB but, most people looking at the draft saw it as a draft deep at DL and RB - I like to see my team play the draft right and not overplay for a OLB just cuz they need one

2) THE RUNNING BACKS

Hmmm, most of us thought Thomas Jones was a team leader and wouldn't go anywhere before he was sent packing... Now we have LT??? Team leader.

LT stated today that he hopes to be the best 3rd down back in the league and it's time for Greene to step up.... Rex says it's time for Greene!!!

Fantasy wise Greene might actually be undervalued with the rookie draft pick Powell.

Good to see LT at Jets Camp West working with Mcnight and the youngsters - Wether he's back or not, that's pretty awesome.

Real tough call but, I don't think you can take anything the Jets say about LT right now as gospel until they know what's up with the NFL / Cap / FA rules.... I can see them needing every last dollar to sign the WR"s/Cromartie and saying bye to LT. Then Greene's value rises for sure.

3) THE WIDE RECEIVERS

Braylon is at Jets West camp - Holmes is not.... Still think it's a toss up. Maybe the lockout makes both guys stay with little time to shop themselves???? IMO, Braylon wants the Jets a little more than Holmes who wants to get paid.... The Jets think Holmes is the best player on the field. Again, Flip a coin.

I can't even tell which guy I'd like more - I guess Holmes. I'm a big fan of both players and hope they are both back.

I do think Cotchery comes back strong though and is good enough for a #2 wideout... That said, if one of the top 2 goes, Keller should see a lot more work.

Looks like the WR"s the Jets drafted are Slot-type guys putting Cotchery on the outside.

Good Stuff!!! Gotta get Rex' book now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome news about Jets West Camp run by the Sanchez' - Very Proffesional - Video work done, trainers, and what I love - LT showing the young guys how its' done... After practice as guys say around and rested, LT and his trainer were doing crunches!!!!! Awesome, wether he's here or not, I think that pays off...

Nice write up.... JETS CAMP

10. The Sanchez family, including Mark’s father, Nick Sr. and brothers Nick and Brandon, deserve plenty of credit for helping pull off the week-long operation. From securing sponsorships to printing up playbooks for the players, the people that don’t wear No. 6 for the Jets were also instrumental in this de facto OTA for the Jets. They had every detail covered. Special thanks to Nick Sr., who could see that I didn’t properly prepare myself for the elements: No sunscreen. So he passed along some SPF 30 to help fight those harmful UV rays.

9. Jets fans are going to love fifth-round pick Jeremy Kerley. Upon first glance, the diminutive Kerley looks like a high school kid that skipped biology lab to be out there with the big boys, but he’s quick. Real quick. I was extremely impressed with his route running. Great change of direction. Sure, he’s running patterns against air, but I like his potential. I’ve maintained that Kerley will fill part of the role that Brad Smith occupied if/when Smith signs elsewhere. Kerley’s versatility as a slot receiver and wildcat option -- he threw a TD to Andy Dalton at TCU out of the Wildcat -- will be a nice addition to the offense.

8. Speaking of Brad Smith, I believe he’s going to sign elsewhere for a more lucrative contract for a team that will give him more playing time. Make no mistake: Rex Ryan & Co. absolutely love what Smith brings to the table, but I’d be surprised if another team (s) doesn’t give him 1) more money than the Jets, and 2) a larger role in the offense. Smith has never complained about his playing time during his career, but it was obvious to me this week that he wants more PT. He’ll surely get that opportunity with another team.

7. Rex Ryan has been working overtime on his book tour this week, but I guarantee that he heard about Joe McKnight’s reaction to the Jets’ decision to draft Louisville RB Bilal Powell in the fourth round. And I guarantee that Ryan was smiling ear-to-ear. “I was pissed and motivated,” McKnight said. “It’s more fuel to the fire.” It’s that fire that Ryan tried to get out of McKnight last season. It looks like Powell’s presence will ignite a pretty healthy competition in the backfield.

6. The Terminator has very good hands. Fullback John Conner’s bone-crunching blocks may be his forte, but he can catch the football too. He looked smooth receiving passes from the four quarterbacks this week. Don’t be surprised if Conner, the starting fullback from Day One, gets a few carries and even catches passes in this offense. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer loves keeping teams off balance with his ever-changing personnel groupings. Conner’s versatility is just another piece to that puzzle.

5. Mark Brunell has been a bigger influence on Mark Sanchez than probably any of us truly know. Brian Schottenheimer knew exactly what he was doing by recommending that the Jets sign Brunell to mentor Sanchez. Schottenheimer consulted Drew Brees, who reaped the benefits of Brunell’s mentorship during the Saints’ Super Bowl season two years ago, before bringing him aboard. I noticed subtle things this week that make me believe that it was absolutely the right choice to sign Brunell last year and bring him back again.

4. Dustin Keller has bulked up to 255 pounds of muscle. (He finished last season at 247 pounds).

3. LaDainian Tomlinson’s work ethic is sick. After Tuesday’s passing drills, most of the players found some shade to cool down. Tomlinson? He was still baking under the sun working with trainer Todd Norman, ripping off countless crunches. Tomlinson’s presence at this camp speaks volumes. He’s a former league MVP. He’ll go down as the best running back of this generation. He’s a future first-ballot Hall of Famer. Yet he decided to attend Jets West anyway. He’s also embraced the idea of trying to become "the best third-down back in the league.” In the twilight of his career, Tomlinson can still be a valuable pass-catching threat out of the backfield for Sanchez. That’ll be his niche in 2011.

2. Braylon Edwards is willing to give the Jets a discount. Edwards, who is an unrestricted free agent no matter which rules are in place after the lockout, made it clear that he wants to continue what he’s started with the Jets. He’s even willing to give Gang Green somewhat of a financial break as long as the Jets' offer is comparable to what other teams are willing to give. If the 2010 rules return, Edwards will command huge dollars as the No. 1 receiver on the free agent market. Edwards admitted that both Santonio Holmes, who appears to be the Jets’ top priority, and he have to “give a little” if they both want to stay with the Jets. Both players would have to make financial concessions to stay. Holmes has already stated that he won’t play for the Jets’ one-year restricted free agent tender if the 2010 rules return.

1. Mark Sanchez’s growth and maturation as the unquestioned leader of the offense during the past two years has been remarkable. It wasn’t long ago when he was sitting on a Gatorade cooler on the sidelines with a lost look in his eyes after a six-turnover nightmare against the Bills early in his rookie season. Now, he’s running a de facto OTA without coaches, holding meetings, breaking down film and taking command of the team during the labor impasse. “In meetings, he even sounds like a coach,” Tomlinson said. Braylon Edwards thinks that Sanchez is ready to “break that barrier” into the league’s elite. He believes in Sanchez so much that he’s willing to play for a little less to stay with the Jets. When I walked into the NFL Network studios Wednesday to do a spot on Jets West, one of the producers summed up the evolution of Sanchez’s leadership the best. “I can’t believe he put this all together,” the producer said, shaking his head. “He’s come a long way in a short time.”

If the talk is true between Braylon and Holmes, no question if I was a Jets fan I would want Braylon back more as he is clearly is doing it for the right reasons. Good NFL players like Holmes get "paid" as it is, to make it clear your only after a big payday and have no loyalty to any team, just whoever pays you the most, not the kind of player I would want on my team, especially one with such a checkered past.

Just curious how do the Jets fan feel about this? Overall as a WR Holmes may be better than Braylon, but he also has a much bigger me first attitude.

If the talk is true between Braylon and Holmes, no question if I was a Jets fan I would want Braylon back more as he is clearly is doing it for the right reasons. Good NFL players like Holmes get "paid" as it is, to make it clear your only after a big payday and have no loyalty to any team, just whoever pays you the most, not the kind of player I would want on my team, especially one with such a checkered past.

Just curious how do the Jets fan feel about this? Overall as a WR Holmes may be better than Braylon, but he also has a much bigger me first attitude.
It's tough because as much as it seems Braylon is all J E T S right now and Santonio is Me-First and looking to get paid, You could see from hard Knocks and watching much of the Jets sideline stuff, When Holmes is on the team he's very smart and works with a lot of the players and coaches and as the Jets staff has said, he's the best player on the field....

But, yeah, I'm a fan of Braylon too.....

I think what influences their attitude at this stage is the fact that Holmes has played for a top organization in Pitt and has won already so, for him the Jets aren't that special..

For BE coming from Cleveland, the comroderie, the attitude, the work ethic and the 2 Championship games he played in the past 2 years are a Huge Breath of Fresh air and he knows he could easily be back in a Cleveland situation again....(not that Cleveland is that bad anymore)

They are also different types of WR"s and we need both - If anything Cotchery can more easily fill Braylons shoes than the playmaking shoes of Holmes...

I really hope they can get both guys back...

But, I can see Braylon, Cotch and this rookie in the slot with Keller getting a bigger role when it all comes down to money...

Personally, I'd let Cromartie walk and use that money for Holmes...

I trust that Rex can get decent play out of CB's - but, it would be nice for Sanchez to have playmaking targets... When the Jets won those games late, it was mostly Holmes - Like they say "TONE TIME"

Cromartie is too much of a flake for me to spend that kind of money especially if it's anywhere near what Aso will get.

Great stuff Reaper, thanks for sharing.

Let me add this: Don't sleep on Jeremy Kerley in Dynasty. While Edwards and Holmes may come back and produce, Kerley could make an impact in the next couple of seasons and not just as Brad Smith part 2. With his hands and route running I believe he will be the replacement for Jerricho Cotchery who has been a little less effective the last few seasons and is now coming off of back surgery.

I think the Jets will only be able to retain one of Edwards/Holmes or at best, both of them for a short time. I firmly believe Kerley will become a PPR guy who can churn out points in a PPR format, even if his yards won't be giant.

I think a lot of folks are looking at him as a Brad Smith type and while he can be, it's not the summit of his abilities.

:2cents:

I was talking about Jets West with a buddy last night.. we're all loving the way that Sanchez is taking a leadership role.

We both agreed that we loved the fact they doubled down on the d-line in the draft although I think they could have gone with a DB to give them the ability to let Cromartie walk. I have to say that I loved the way the offense clicked when Santonio joined them after week 4.. with that said Keller's role diminished a lot as there just aren't enough balls to go around for all three of them.

I think I like the combination of Keller and Santonio better than Braylon and Keller as speed and game breaking ability is very hard to find..

BUMP!!!!!

I've leaned towards Holmes being gone all offseason and now I feel that more than ever with the new Cap detail.

The Jets are going to have to work to get their cap in shape while there are teams out there that are going to be forced to Spend.... HOLMES IS GOING TO GET BIG MONEY!!!!!!! We can't forget he's also a suspension risk. IMO, This is a bad market to throw money into and players are going to be way overpriced.

I think the Jets should be looking at moving on from all their FA's and looking at the lower tier WR's and CB's right now...

Again, Cromartie is just too much risk IMO and a loose cannon...

Rex's specialty is defense - LET HIM COACH UP A CB along with Kyle Wilson.

There are so many players that talk about Wanting to play for Rex.. Well sit back ans let that happen!!!! Baltimore has some FA Cb's...

I say collect a lot of mid tier players on the cheap over spending big money on a Huge risk like Cromartie.

I'll take Steve Smith (Car) at a big discount Vs Holmes and think he can fill that role..

Maybe Plax or another big body to fill in for Braylon.

So my call:

Holmes is Gone

Cromartie is gone

Braylon Edwards Stays.

If the talk is true between Braylon and Holmes, no question if I was a Jets fan I would want Braylon back more as he is clearly is doing it for the right reasons. Good NFL players like Holmes get "paid" as it is, to make it clear your only after a big payday and have no loyalty to any team, just whoever pays you the most, not the kind of player I would want on my team, especially one with such a checkered past. Just curious how do the Jets fan feel about this? Overall as a WR Holmes may be better than Braylon, but he also has a much bigger me first attitude.
Holmes is the much better overall WR - but I agree with this. Braylon came up big a number of times and has the hunger and desire to remain a Jet, and will also cost the Jets far less $. At this point I'd be happy with brinnging him back and signing a cheaper depth option like Breaston or James Jones to complete the WR group. Cotchery should bounce back a little and Keller should be used more than he was last season anyway.

With all the craziness going on today, now seemed like a good time to take a look at the state of the Jets. According to NY Jets Cap the team is 7 million under the cap. When you factor in rookie signings, that will probably go down to about 4. Sanchez has already said that he'll restructure his deal to lower his 17 million cap number, and assuming the Jets sign David Harris to a long-term deal as well, his cap number should be lowered from roughly 10 million. In combination, that should save maybe 10 million dollars, leaving them about 14 below the cap.

Reports are now coming out that the Jets already have a long-term offer on the table to Holmes, and he's always been seen as more likely to re-sign. That should cost roughly 8 million or so, leaving 5-9 million for a bunch of other FAs. I'd love for them to bring back Ellis, but we'll see what happens I guess.

Also, news just came in that the Jets re-signed Wayne Hunter for four years. Not sure if he'll start at RT or be a backup, but either way, this almost certainly means that the Jets won't be bringing back Woody, who they were talking to earlier today.

HOLMES STAYS!!!!!!!

Just like I said all along....LOL

I like it... I hope Braylon stays as well...

Not sure how I feel about the Aso talks - you can't hate it but, i wish they could get a Pass Rusher for that money... My feeling is that Rex should be able to coach DB's to play opposite of Revis...

Probably a long shot anyway.

HOLMES STAYS!!!!!!!Just like I said all along....LOLI like it... I hope Braylon stays as well...Not sure how I feel about the Aso talks - you can't hate it but, i wish they could get a Pass Rusher for that money... My feeling is that Rex should be able to coach DB's to play opposite of Revis...Probably a long shot anyway.
Yep, not really a surprise that Holmes is staying, he was clearly the team's top target. At this point I wonder if getting Aso is even feasible, and if it is, what it might force us to give up (definitely Braylon, probably Ellis). I can't see Aso making the pass D better than it was 2 years ago, when they still needed a good pass rusher. I guess we'll see what happens with that, but I'm very happy they locked up Holmes, now let's just hope he can avoid any and all drugs for the duration of the contract. A one-year suspension would suck.

I've been seeing a lot of blurbs about the Jets talking to CB's other than Aso...

I'm still hoping Cromartie doesn't get paid, Aso or not.

HOLMES STAYS!!!!!!!

Just like I said all along....LOL

I like it... I hope Braylon stays as well...

Not sure how I feel about the Aso talks - you can't hate it but, i wish they could get a Pass Rusher for that money... My feeling is that Rex should be able to coach DB's to play opposite of Revis...

Probably a long shot anyway.
Yep, not really a surprise that Holmes is staying, he was clearly the team's top target. At this point I wonder if getting Aso is even feasible, and if it is, what it might force us to give up (definitely Braylon, probably Ellis). I can't see Aso making the pass D better than it was 2 years ago, when they still needed a good pass rusher. I guess we'll see what happens with that, but I'm very happy they locked up Holmes, now let's just hope he can avoid any and all drugs for the duration of the contract. A one-year suspension would suck.
I agree. Teamd will still attack them with TEs and slot WRs down the middle until they prove their safties and linebackers can cover them.

While Aso would be real interesting and a nightmare for opposing WRs, a cheaper option likely helps out the defense even more if that money can be used for other players (safety and/or pass rusher).

Redskins agreed to terms with QB Kellen Clemens on a one-year contract.
I had high hopes for Clemens at one point - but he looked miserable in 2009 when he was forced to fill in for Sanchez. I do wish him the best though and perhaps he'll even get to play a little this year.

HOLMES STAYS!!!!!!!Just like I said all along....LOLI like it... I hope Braylon stays as well...Not sure how I feel about the Aso talks - you can't hate it but, i wish they could get a Pass Rusher for that money... My feeling is that Rex should be able to coach DB's to play opposite of Revis...Probably a long shot anyway.
I'd rather have Clay Matthews or DeMarcus Ware than Aso, too, but the Jets aren't allowed to sign those guys. Gotta go after Aso if they can fit him in.

I'd rather have Clay Matthews or DeMarcus Ware than Aso, too, but the Jets aren't allowed to sign those guys. Gotta go after Aso if they can fit him in.
As great as Aso is, how much does he help against Antonio Gates, Dallas Clark/Austin Collie, or really anyone on the Pats, at least one of whom the Jets will almost certainly face in the playoffs over the next few years.

Seriously, how much better is Aso than Cromartie? Is there really THAT much of a gap betweene them?

And if there is a gap, does the difference between what we'd have to pay Aso vs. Cromartie even worth it?

I'd really like to see them use the money on improving the pass rush and maybe trying to keep Cromartie and Edwards...

Seriously, how much better is Aso than Cromartie? Is there really THAT much of a gap betweene them?And if there is a gap, does the difference between what we'd have to pay Aso vs. Cromartie even worth it? I'd really like to see them use the money on improving the pass rush and maybe trying to keep Cromartie and Edwards...
1. Yes, and Aso can tackle about as well as Revis. Cromartie is not nearly as aggressive.2. Yes, IMO. Pass rusher would be great, but can't turn down the best FA.3. Edwards is good, but with the money he wants, take a chance on Moss or someone else opposite Holmes.Really think the Jets can pull off the Aso, and then change their front 7 dramatically as both those Aso and Revis can be left alone for about 90% of the snaps. Pipe dreams? maybe, but not out of the realm of possibility if Nnamdi wants into this system.

As per twitter:

Adam Schefter

RT @OfficialBraylon: I would love to be a Jet but the feeling doesn't seem to be mutual with the management.

9 minutes ago

was bummed about the Santonio deal for most of the day.

Don't get me wrong. I like Santonio. He's better than Edwards. But its a #### ton of money.

Now I'm hearing that the year 1 cap hit is only 2.45 Million, I'm pretty stoked.

Bummed that Edwards won't be back, barring a miracle. (would probably take Revis and Sanchez re-structuring, Asomugha taking an absurd low ball deal, Harris signing a cap-friendly long term deal and Edwards taking below market) He's not a saint, but he played hard for the jets and obviously wants to be here.

Kinda want to go to the first public practice next Tuesday. Only a 30 minute drive to Florham Park.

was bummed about the Santonio deal for most of the day.Don't get me wrong. I like Santonio. He's better than Edwards. But its a #### ton of money.Now I'm hearing that the year 1 cap hit is only 2.45 Million, I'm pretty stoked.Bummed that Edwards won't be back, barring a miracle. (would probably take Revis and Sanchez re-structuring, Asomugha taking an absurd low ball deal, Harris signing a cap-friendly long term deal and Edwards taking below market) He's not a saint, but he played hard for the jets and obviously wants to be here. Kinda want to go to the first public practice next Tuesday. Only a 30 minute drive to Florham Park.
Where'd you get that info about the year 1 cap hit? Agree about being bummed on Edwards leaving. He recently tweeted that he gets the filling the Jets don't want him back. That sucks. And I'll almost certainly be at that practice, I'm in West Orange so there's no reason for me not to go.

was bummed about the Santonio deal for most of the day.Don't get me wrong. I like Santonio. He's better than Edwards. But its a #### ton of money.Now I'm hearing that the year 1 cap hit is only 2.45 Million, I'm pretty stoked.Bummed that Edwards won't be back, barring a miracle. (would probably take Revis and Sanchez re-structuring, Asomugha taking an absurd low ball deal, Harris signing a cap-friendly long term deal and Edwards taking below market) He's not a saint, but he played hard for the jets and obviously wants to be here. Kinda want to go to the first public practice next Tuesday. Only a 30 minute drive to Florham Park.
Where'd you get that info about the year 1 cap hit? Agree about being bummed on Edwards leaving. He recently tweeted that he gets the filling the Jets don't want him back. That sucks. And I'll almost certainly be at that practice, I'm in West Orange so there's no reason for me not to go.
Jets beat reporter Manish Mehta reported it on twitter.

'njherdfan said:
With Joseph going to Houston, it seems like the Jets are in the lead for Nnamdi. Wow.
Don't sleep on the Bucs. They have a ton of cap room, Talib has legal issues, they are close to being a playoff team and there are no state taxes in Florida

Released QB Mark Brunell (will be brought back)

Released QB Kevin O'Connell

Signed QB Greg McElroy to 4-yr deal

Competition for Nnamdi looks like it's coming down to The Jets and Dallas

I'm just hoping that if the JEts don't get Nnamdi they don't lose out on Braylon and a good #2 CB because they're essentially being held hostage by Nnamdi right now. Today's such a strange day as a Jet fan, essentially all you can do is sit around and realize that one player is going to dictate their entire off-season.

I'm just hoping that if the JEts don't get Nnamdi they don't lose out on Braylon and a good #2 CB because they're essentially being held hostage by Nnamdi right now. Today's such a strange day as a Jet fan, essentially all you can do is sit around and realize that one player is going to dictate their entire off-season.
Aso and Cromartie have the same Agency working for them according to Cimini so, they know the deal.....I still don't want Cromartie though - especially since he's watching these Aso talks and probably thinking he's worth almost as much.If the Jets don't get Aso, i can see it now, Jet haters are going to Laugh their butts off.. But, from where I sit I see A Lot of jets fans who would rather see the money spent elsewhere and think having 2 CB's like that is overkill....Trust in Rex though if he's that hard up for Aso, I'm sure he's dreaming up schemes to utilize them both.The suspense is making it exciting and it will be fun to see how they work it out but, I'm not going to go crazy either way based on Aso here like some people are about to.....

Aso and Cromartie have the same Agency working for them according to Cimini so, they know the deal.....

I still don't want Cromartie though - especially since he's watching these Aso talks and probably thinking he's worth almost as much.

If the Jets don't get Aso, i can see it now, Jet haters are going to Laugh their butts off.. But, from where I sit A Lot of jets fans who would rather see the money spent elsewhere and think having 2 CB's like that is overkill....

Trust in Rex though if he's that hard up for Aso, I'm sure he's dreaming up schemes to utilize them both.
:yes: Since the Jets had a historically good pass D in 2009 with Dwight Lowery and Lito Sheppard as the 2nd CB, I think a healthy Revis is far more important to the success of the pass D, and I agree with the overkill sentiment. I'd also really like the Jets to bring back Ellis and I've heard nothing on that front.

Aso and Cromartie have the same Agency working for them according to Cimini so, they know the deal.....

I still don't want Cromartie though - especially since he's watching these Aso talks and probably thinking he's worth almost as much.

If the Jets don't get Aso, i can see it now, Jet haters are going to Laugh their butts off.. But, from where I sit A Lot of jets fans who would rather see the money spent elsewhere and think having 2 CB's like that is overkill....

Trust in Rex though if he's that hard up for Aso, I'm sure he's dreaming up schemes to utilize them both.
:yes: Since the Jets had a historically good pass D in 2009 with Dwight Lowery and Lito Sheppard as the 2nd CB, I think a healthy Revis is far more important to the success of the pass D, and I agree with the overkill sentiment. I'd also really like the Jets to bring back Ellis and I've heard nothing on that front.
I picture QB's sitting back there all day as Aso and Revis blanket guys for a few seconds and then BAM... Welker underneath.... I can see Brady dinking and dunking 1st downs all day as Aso and Revis look at eachother in frustration and shake their heads....

Can they really blitz any more than they did with Cromartie? I guess the Run support will be a bit better.

I just don't get it. But, again, if Rex wants it......

'Reaper said:
'njherdfan said:
Aso and Cromartie have the same Agency working for them according to Cimini so, they know the deal.....I still don't want Cromartie though - especially since he's watching these Aso talks and probably thinking he's worth almost as much.If the Jets don't get Aso, i can see it now, Jet haters are going to Laugh their butts off.. But, from where I sit A Lot of jets fans who would rather see the money spent elsewhere and think having 2 CB's like that is overkill....Trust in Rex though if he's that hard up for Aso, I'm sure he's dreaming up schemes to utilize them both.The suspense is making it exciting and it will be fun to see how they work it out but, I'm not going to go crazy either way based on Aso here like some people are about to.....
I agree with the bulk of this. I never really felt getting Nnamdi was a must have or even realistic coming into the FA period. Spending that much of your cap space on one position doesn't seem prudent. I was much more concerned about being able to resign the majority of the guys who were key to the success we've had. In retrospect it seems like they could have just about brought everyone back with the money they've been able to clear for Nnamdi. My contention was that with the rookies, a healthy Leonard, and (hopefully) another year of maturity and improvement from Sanchez the team would improve enough to be in a position to take that next step provided they kept the core in tact. At this point though I really just want Aso to make up his mind so the Jets can move forward with the rest of their moves. There is a LOT left to do after CB. Safety and WR come to mind.ETA: I just saw this:
michaelombardi Michael Lombardi I am told that the Jets have redone the contracts of B Scott, LT, C Pace, Brandone Moore as well as Brunnell to set the stage for Asomugha.
Damn, he better sign with them now! Interesting that the one guy who publicly said he'd redo his deal in Sanchez, hasn't.

Cromartie is a pretty damn good CB, He gets thrown to a lot because of who's on the other side. I think he held up pretty well. I love his size and athleticism out there.

I still think Cromartie + Edwards would be a better get than Aso + Whoever

Cromartie is a pretty damn good CB, He gets thrown to a lot because of who's on the other side. I think he held up pretty well. I love his size and athleticism out there. I still think Cromartie + Edwards would be a better get than Aso + Whoever
Perhaps, but I am in the Aso and Moss or TO camp, myself.

Jets just brought in Plax for a one year deal. I'm not crazy about the deal, but I guess we'll see if he has anything left. If he can be close to what he was on the Giants, he'll be a very good addition. Also, his game was never totally reliant on athleticism so he might be able to handle aging better than some other WRs. Also, Jets are close to bringing in Heap :confused:

The Jets are a little worse off now then they were last year.Just sayin
A quick breakdown.....QB- Sanchez will continue to improve... PLUSFB- Connor has ability, but is no Richardson yet....MINUSRB- Greene will get better, but LT will get worse. Other guys are a crap shoot....MINUSWR- Lost edwards. Cotchery is aging. Full year of Holmes. Other guys are unknowns... MINUSTE- Keller should still have some upside. Heap likely coming...PLUSOL- Still some growth left for Ferguson, Mangold and Slausen. Ducasse and Hunter should improve. Loss of Woody hurts. Moore is aging....PUSHDL- Should improve as the 2 rookie provide some nice depth. Ellis will continue to age, assuming he signs. Pitoitua could have some upside (tore achilles last year) Jenkins got hurt in the 2nd series last year, so its not like he'll be missed....PLUSLB- Not much has changed here. Full year of Pace after his early season injury. Scott aging. B. Thomas likely gone. Harris still improving....PUSHCB- Assuming Cromartie signs and doesn't mail it in, Jets get a full year of healthy Revis plus a likely improvement from Kyle Wilson. Strickland should be nice depth....PLUSS- Lost Poole. Hasn't been replaced at this point. Leonhard and Smith back.... MINUSK- Same...PUSHP- Nobody signed yet. Weatherford was good....MINUSKR- Brad Smith gone, but considering the jets have lost 4 KR's over the past 7 or 8 years to free agency and never missed a beat, it probably won't matter. That being said, whoever does it is unproven, so ....MINUSPR- No idea at this point. Could be leonhard again. Could be the kid they picked out of TCU. Could be Joe McKnight....INCOMPLETE.So we basically have 4 Pluses (3 at the crucial QB, CB and DL spots), 6 minuses, 3 pushes and an incomplete, IMO. Of course, CB goes from plus to minus if Cromartie goes elsewhere. All IMO of course. The bottom line is the jets still have a tremendous O-line and a solid defense across the board. The keys will be the development of a few young guys (Sanchez, Wilson, Greene, whoever plays RT and the rookie D-linemen) Finding a reliable slot guy with some quickness would be a big help, as Cotchery is obviously on the decline and we'll need Santonio to be more a deep threat this year with Edwards gone. Its a key year for Sanchez, obviously. I still think he has good ability, but i think this year will really decide whether he can be more than a semi-talented caretaker. I think he can, but he's gotta prove it.edit: of course, this is all based on personel on the field. I still feel that Brian Schottenheimer's play calling is a big MINUS. He simply can't have any more full game brainfarts like last year (Baltimore, GreenBay, Miami)

Jets gave Plaxico $2 million more than msw. They grossly overpaid. Seems like a rebound after their Nnamdi affair.

I good with the Plax signing. I definitely prefer him to Moss. Would've liked to have Braylon back, but oh well. Now we ave to get Cromartie back, even though it probably means overpaying to get him.

Nice write up. A couple of my thoughts

A quick breakdown.....

QB- Sanchez will continue to improve... PLUS

FB- Connor has ability, but is no Richardson yet....MINUS

RB- Greene will get better, but LT will get worse. Other guys are a crap shoot....MINUS

LT will probably get worse, but he will also get fewer carries and have fewer opportunities to hurt the team by getting more carries than he deserves. I think having Greene get roughly 300 carries can only be a good thing. I also think that McKnight can be pretty good

WR- Lost edwards. Cotchery is aging. Full year of Holmes. Other guys are unknowns... MINUS

TE- Keller should still have some upside. Heap likely coming...PLUS

No Heap, but I've heard a lot of good things about Jeff Cumberland. I'm hopeful he can turn into a good player.

OL- Still some growth left for Ferguson, Mangold and Slausen. Ducasse and Hunter should improve. Loss of Woody hurts. Moore is aging....PUSH

As long as Mangold and Brick stay elite I'm not worried about the OL. I am curious about whether or not Ducasse goes to LG or RT.

DL- Should improve as the 2 rookie provide some nice depth. Ellis will continue to age, assuming he signs. Pitoitua could have some upside (tore achilles last year) Jenkins got hurt in the 2nd series last year, so its not like he'll be missed....PLUS

I really hope Ellis signs. I like Wilkerson, but I don't want him starting as a rookie. I hope they bring Ellis back for a year or two. I'm a huge Pitoitua fan, and I hope he can provide us with quality snaps.

LB- Not much has changed here. Full year of Pace after his early season injury. Scott aging. B. Thomas likely gone. Harris still improving....PUSH

Looks like Thomas is staying. Cody Brown and Jamaal Westerman will both get a shot to play in pass-rushing situations. Maybe one of them will be decent??

CB- Assuming Cromartie signs and doesn't mail it in, Jets get a full year of healthy Revis plus a likely improvement from Kyle Wilson. Strickland should be nice depth....PLUS

As long as Revis is healthy I'm not too worried about the corners. In 2009 the Jets pass D was amazing w/ Lito Sheppard. Also, I think Kyle Wilson will end up being a good player.

S- Lost Poole. Hasn't been replaced at this point. Leonhard and Smith back.... MINUS

This worries me. Pool really stepped up towards the end of last season and has more range than either Leonhard or Smith. It seems like Ihedigbo will be brought back, but he's also more of an in-the-box type player. Maybe they're going to move Lowery to safety full-time and hope he ha the instincts and skills for it.

K- Same...PUSH

P- Nobody signed yet. Weatherford was good....MINUS

KR- Brad Smith gone, but considering the jets have lost 4 KR's over the past 7 or 8 years to free agency and never missed a beat, it probably won't matter. That being said, whoever does it is unproven, so ....MINUS

PR- No idea at this point. Could be leonhard again. Could be the kid they picked out of TCU. Could be Joe McKnight....INCOMPLETE.

agree that ST is a crapshoot. On the bright side, moving the KO from the 30 to the 35 negates some of the value of kick returners. I wouldn't mind seeing Wilson returning punts either.

So we basically have 4 Pluses (3 at the crucial QB, CB and DL spots), 6 minuses, 3 pushes and an incomplete, IMO. Of course, CB goes from plus to minus if Cromartie goes elsewhere.

All IMO of course.

The bottom line is the jets still have a tremendous O-line and a solid defense across the board. The keys will be the development of a few young guys (Sanchez, Wilson, Greene, whoever plays RT and the rookie D-linemen) Finding a reliable slot guy with some quickness would be a big help, as Cotchery is obviously on the decline and we'll need Santonio to be more a deep threat this year with Edwards gone.

Its a key year for Sanchez, obviously. I still think he has good ability, but i think this year will really decide whether he can be more than a semi-talented caretaker. I think he can, but he's gotta prove it.

edit: of course, this is all based on personel on the field. I still feel that Brian Schottenheimer's play calling is a big MINUS. He simply can't have any more full game brainfarts like last year (Baltimore, GreenBay, Miami)

I hate Schotty much less than most Jet fans seem to, because I think a lot of the offensive struggles are due to Sanchez. He has a lot of talent, but a 54% completion simply can't get the job done. If he can raise that to around 60% then I think the Jets offense can be very good.

According to Manish Mehta and Cromartie's twitter account, the Jets have agreed to bring back Cro for 4 years and 32 million. It's a lot of money, but it's less than Nnamdi got, which seems fair.

Users who are viewing this thread