What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Magazine: Donald Trump is running for President again. (1 Viewer)

We also know he doesn't always see things correctly.  We'll see but I REALLY don't think the R's will knuckle under to him again.  Not after everything that has come out (and is still to come).  

We also know he doesn't always see things correctly.  We'll see but I REALLY don't think the R's will knuckle under to him again.  Not after everything that has come out (and is still to come).  
You know I want to believe this. Most of us who despise Trump are hoping this is the case. Many conservatives around here, like @BladeRunner, have long asserted that it is. And in truth, the Trump era in this country will never end until Republicans reject him. 

But will they? With the exception of a single poll in New Hampshire that may be an outlier, the numbers consistently suggest that he is the preferred man for Republican voters. Based on that, I have my doubts that anyone else will defeat him. 

I really don't understand why Trump running scares liberals so much. It's clear he's lost influence.

Put up a decent candidate and you'll easily beat him.

Therein lies the problem, I guess.
Liberals fully recognize that Trump will be easier to beat than other candidates.  He is still terrifying because there's always a possibility that he will win, and Trump in the White House again is, quite simply, terrifying.  We know that he has no regard for laws, norms, or decency.  He know that he will use the position of POTUS to do whatever he wants and whatever he feels benefits himself, without any regard to negative consequences for the country.  Do you really not understand why that prospect terrifies people?  It should terrify conservatives just as much as liberals.

I really don't understand why Trump running scares liberals so much. It's clear he's lost influence.

It really should scare the whole country; but here we are.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was thinking aloud now. “I just think that there are certain assets to before,” he said. “Let people know. I think a lot of people would not even run if I did that because, if you look at the polls, they don’t even register. Most of these people. And I think that you would actually have a backlash against them if they ran. People want me to run.”

He insists he cares little about the other Republicans people may want to run and denies that he even considers Ron DeSantis a rival. “I don’t feel that,” he said, “I endorsed Ron, he was at 3, and as soon as I endorsed him, he went to first place, he was not gonna win, then —” I stopped him. The question was about the 2024 presidential primary, I said. “Yeah, no, I meant when he ran for governor, as you know, he was running and then he came to me for an endorsement because he was not, you know, he was at 3 percent.” With his blessing, Trump said, “the race was over, and I think Ron knows that better than anybody. We have a good relationship, and, uhh, there may be some others soon, but that’s okay.” He cited a recent poll that had him beating DeSantis by a margin of 58 percent to 10 percent. (Never content, Trump had overstated things slightly: DeSantis was at 16, not 10. In the averages, meanwhile, he beats DeSantis 53 to 21 and Biden 43 to 41.)
Say what you will about the guy, but I still kinda love that he doesn't give a #### about anyone else in politics other than himself.  Who in the GOP wants to run against this guy?  Anyone who dares gets completely obliterated.

I'll believe that the GOP will toss Trump overboard when they actually toss Trump overboard.  It's not like they haven't been given off-ramp after off-ramp after off-ramp already.  
Agreed. I fear they’re worried about Trump’s base turning on them and will go along with Trump to try and get as many republicans in office as possible. What a disaster. 

He will lose in a rout. Dems need to find someone worth a damn to deliver the ###-kicking. 

Great. Another Biden-Trump matchup. I guess we get the leaders we deserve. 
This would seriously be the first presidential election that I sit out.  The fact that such a match-up is actually a real possibility makes me want to start boycotting our electoral system right now in protest.

Trump v. Desantis is going to be a fun watch.  :popcorn:

Perhaps this will wind up the opposite of the 2016 Republican primaries; Trump and Desantis split the MAGA vote and leave a moderate Republican to clean up the rest for the win. A man can dream, can't he? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don';t think he is really gonna run.  I think he's doing it to give a big middle finger to the Jan 6th committee and running around like he doesn't care about what they are up to.  In the end, I think he will bow out.

Do you really not understand why that prospect terrifies people?  It should terrify conservatives just as much as liberals.
It really should scare the whole country; but here we are.
What terrifies me is how little confidence libs have that they can beat someone a) they already beat and b) is weaker than before.

The more you remain utterly obsessed with Trump, the worse your prospects become.

Move on already. Focus instead on improving this country. The rest will take care of itself.

What terrifies me is how little confidence libs have that they can beat someone a) they already beat and b) is weaker than before.

The more you remain utterly obsessed with Trump, the worse your prospects become.

Move on already. Focus instead on improving this country. The rest will take care of itself.
Why is this on the libs?  How bout the Rs take care of business and put up a candidate that can put that traitor away?  I'd vote for Larry Hogan, maybe even Nicky Haley--

Why is this on the libs?  How bout the Rs take care of business and put up a candidate that can put that traitor away?  I'd vote for Larry Hogan, maybe even Nicky Haley--
Dems are the ones in power. Elections are usually a referendum on their performance. Incumbents always have advantage.

Unless they screw it up, of course.

You seem to be conflating two very different things.

1.  I am terrified at the prospect of Trump as POTUS again.  The few guard rails he had last time would be obliterated in a repeat performance.  This should terrify everyone.

2.  My confidence in whether the Democrats can beat Trump is an entirely different topic with absolutely no relation to how much Trump as POTUS scares me.  My confidence is low here because the Democrats have a long history of pulling defeat from the jaws of victory.

It's always the libs fault.

Nearly half of Republican voters say they would cast a ballot for someone other than former President Donald Trump in the 2024 election, a sign of a tough GOP primary contest should he decide to run for his old job following his extraordinary attempt to overturn his loss in 2020.

Trump remains the leading candidate in a hypothetical race against five other possible GOP opponents in a New York Times/Siena College poll, with 49% of primary voters saying they would support him. But 46% say they would vote for one of the others. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis emerged as the top rival, with 25% support, the only other one to reach double digits. 

As Trump considers whether to launch an early bid for the White House, the survey indicates that his efforts to maintain an iron grip on the Republican Party have instead exposed divisions. 

Majorities of young voters as well as those with college degrees said they would vote against Trump in a presidential primary. DeSantis was the top choice of those groups. 

Just hours after the poll was published Trump released a statement slamming the New York Times as “Fake News.”

“Fake polls, phony stories, and made up quotes — they are a disgrace to journalism and have set it back many many years. THE NEW YORK TIMES IS TRULY THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!,” he wrote.

Trump has spent much of the past 18 months focused on political retribution against those in his own party who did not back his attempts to undermine the 2020 election, which culminated in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the US Capitol. Three quarters of GOP voters said Trump was “just exercising his right to contest the election,” but a sizable 1 in 5 minority said that he “went so far that he threatened America democracy.”

Some of the former president’s own supporters have explored other candidates. Among those who voted for Trump in 2020, 44% said they had a favorable view of DeSantis -- a statistical tie with the 46% who said the same for Trump. 

The dynamic is a marked contrast from his presidency, when Trump enjoyed nearly universal support among Republican voters. The problems within his own party have left Trump in position to suffer a second consecutive loss against President Joe Biden, whose political standing has taken a beating, the poll suggested. 

Biden led Trump 44-41% in a hypothetical 2024 rematch, even though the president’s approval rating sits at only 33% among voters nationally.

GOP defectors contributed to Trump’s disadvantage, with 16% of Republicans saying they would vote for Biden or a third-party candidate if Trump won their party’s nomination. 

Despite those vulnerabilities, Trump retains advantages against his possible rivals. No Republican 2024 hopeful other than DeSantis has significant support among GOP voters, with Texas Senator Ted Cruz garnering 7%, former Vice President Mike Pence and former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley receiving 6% each and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo getting 2%. 

Fox News viewers -- a key segment of the GOP base -- have also remained loyal to Trump. The former president held a 62%-26% advantage over DeSantis among those viewers.

You seem to be conflating two very different things.

1.  I am terrified at the prospect of Trump as POTUS again.  The few guard rails he had last time would be obliterated in a repeat performance.  This should terrify everyone.

2.  My confidence in whether the Democrats can beat Trump is an entirely different topic with absolutely no relation to how much Trump as POTUS scares me.  My confidence is low here because the Democrats have a long history of pulling defeat from the jaws of victory.
I am conflating nothing. Modern U.S. presidential elections are binary.

Therefore the probability of Trump as POTUS again is inversely correlated to the quality of the Dem candidate.

If one is high, the other is low. Period.

Trump lost already. It is inarguable he is weaker.

Pure logic says the quality of the Dem candidate would have to be weaker even than Biden for him to get re-elected.

Therefore I am only "terrified" to the extent the Dems continue to suck at governing this country.

That is certainly one of the problems.  The other is after the Joe disaster many of the undecideds or R’s that voted D will now likely hold their noses and vote Trump.  

That is certainly one of the problems.  The other is after the Joe disaster many of the undecideds or R’s that voted D will now likely hold their noses and vote Trump.  
Thanks dkp. Just as a data point, I am one of those undecideds.

Was going to sit out then decided Biden at last moment due to climate change.

But due to utter incompetence on that issue to date I wouldn't switch to R (especially Trump) if faced with same 2024 choice. Just sit out, I guess.

Seems like most posts so far are confident that Trump would lose.

I know I am.

I think Biden would beat Trump by about the same (large) margin. 

I’m confident because: 

a) they already beat and b) is weaker than before.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/donald-trump-2024-decision.html

The only question he has is whether to announce before the election or after. The interview makes clear he does not regard DeSantis or anyone else as serious opposition. 

“Look,” Trump said, “I feel very confident that, if I decide to run, I’ll win.”

While it's very likely Trump will run for POTUS 2024, he didn't outright confirm it.

The article is basically click bait .

Your thread title is click bait.

There's no practical strategic political value for Biden nor Trump to make this kind of announcement before the Mid Terms.

I usually don't get into thread titles, but -

"New York Magazine: Donald Trump is running for President again."

- is total BS.

Do you know what would be hilarious? If Trump called a press conference for only Gateway Pundit, Breitbart, PJ Media and everyone else on that "untrustworthy news sources" thread where radical leftists use it to call Conservatives here liars at will, and only tells them that that he is running for POTUS 2024. If he said, "I will only confirm here with Gateway Pundit that I'm running for 2024 POTUS and that's clear and definitive and I REFUSE to acknowledge it with any of the larger MSM outlets"

Then someone would post it, link it, and then I'd just call it lies and demand it be deleted.

Your entire OP is intellectually dishonest.

Thanks dkp. Just as a data point, I am one of those undecideds.

Was going to sit out then decided Biden at last moment due to climate change.

But due to utter incompetence on that issue to date I wouldn't switch to R (especially Trump) if faced with same 2024 choice. Just sit out, I guess.
I should be too, but I have no faith either side will make a good choice so I’m assuming I’ve already decided and am voting 3rd party again.  

For example, everybody always blames Hillary Clinton for losing to Trump in 2016. But guess what? Hillary didn’t vote for Trump. Maybe we should start blaming all of those who did. Maybe the people who are supporting Trump for 2024 will be the ones to blame if he does well in 2024. And that’s not a lot of Democrats. 

For example, everybody always blames Hillary Clinton for losing to Trump in 2016. But guess what? Hillary didn’t vote for Trump. Maybe we should start blaming all of those who did. Maybe the people who are supporting Trump for 2024 will be the ones to blame if he does well in 2024. And that’s not a lot of Democrats. 
Hold up here.  Hillary Clinton was a bad candidate.  It's on Dems as a whole that she was nominated.  However, she also ran an exceptionally poor campaign.  That's on her.

Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate.  People like me told you that she was a loser who could only hope to win by having the other guy screw up.  You countered that she was the best presidential candidate since Dwight Eisenhower.

One of us was decisively proven correct and one of us was decisively proven wrong.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/donald-trump-2024-decision.html

The only question he has is whether to announce before the election or after. The interview makes clear he does not regard DeSantis or anyone else as serious opposition. 

I haven't clicked on the link and read the article yet, but in case it's an interview with Trump in which he says he's going to run, I just want to point out that "Trump says x, therefore x is true" doesn't seem totally fool-proof.

Because despite how awful he is…he still was close to winning re-election.  Despite what he did on January 6th and leading up to that…there are still millions willing to support him.

And as awful as he is…never underestimate the Democrats ability to nominate someone awful and lose an election.

I know I am.

I’m confident because: 

If it's Biden vs Desantis, this may be the first election I sit out. If it's Biden vs Trump II, I vote anti-Trump again.

“Look,” Trump said, “I feel very confident that, if I decide to run, I’ll win.”

While it's very likely Trump will run for POTUS 2024, he didn't outright confirm it.

The article is basically click bait .

I don't really agree with the rest, but I do agree with this.  He technically claimed that he has decided what he is going to do, not that he is going to run.

Bad news for the country, and bad news for the GOP. 
I would disagree with this part.

As with the NFL, the rest of the GOP candidates will need to go through the defending champion to win.

If successful, then whoever emerges will strengthen the party and almost by definition make it more appealing to moderate Republicans and independents in a general election.

If Trump doesn't run at all, then there will be a vacuum to fill and lesser chance of a higher quality alternative. More likely just someone who simply appeases the Trump supporters, but looks no different than Trump to everyone else.

I know I am.

I’m confident because: 

Biden is weaker than before as well. Who knows what happens between now and the '24 election but Biden is struggling with public perception. I really would wish there was someone being groomed to run in Biden's place.

I could totally see a Newsome vs. Trump, or Newsome vs. DeSantis race in 2024. Even if it isn't Newsome, who I have always thought would eventually run for President, even when I lived in LA in the early 2000s, I would vote Dem. I can't see Biden being the nominee in 2024, nor do I think he should be. It's time for some younger blood in the White House.

I would disagree with this part.

As with the NFL, the rest of the GOP candidates will need to go through the defending champion to win.

If successful, then whoever emerges will strengthen the party and almost by definition make it more appealing to moderate Republicans and independents in a general election.

If Trump doesn't run at all, then there will be a vacuum to fill and lesser chance of a higher quality alternative. More likely just someone who simply appeases the Trump supporters, but looks no different than Trump to everyone else.
You might be right. 

I think the GOP leaders want DeSantis, and would rather not have him get slandered by Trump for two years before the election. 

Still think Trump will not be the candidate when all is said and done.

Problem we have now is Biden has been so inept it has given Trump life again.  I just want both of them to go away. Please!!

Still think Trump will not be the candidate when all is said and done.

Problem we have now is Biden has been so inept it has given Trump life again.  I just want both of them to go away. Please!!
I disagree. Biden could be serviceable and 40% of the country would still be acting like it's Armageddon.

Users who are viewing this thread