What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

New York Magazine: Donald Trump is running for President again. (1 Viewer)

Why a young black man?  I thought identity politics were bad?  I thought picking based on things like age, gender, and race are bad? 

I think it is but gotta play the political game and too many votes are out there to pass up with choosing a black man as VP 

IMO

Meh, I'm tired of identity politics.  Just give me someone who could run the country if the President died.  I don't need another Kamala Harris waiting in the wings.  I would prefer a cardboard cut-out of Biden over Harris running this country.

that's not how a VP is chosen anymore ... I mean nobody wanted Kamala, but Biden chose her because of gender/skin color, he needed the votes that would come from that IMO

VP has always been somewhat strategic - more so now than ever though

@ren hoek has been consistent for years now in his belief that all major politicians in this country are equally corrupt and evil and engaged in great crimes against humanity. He’s not defending Trump’s behavior, he just believes it’s hypocritical and counterproductive to focus on it. 
This approach leads to interesting discussions about all sorts of issues regarding our involvement with the outside world, which is why I always enjoy reading ren and I respect his position. But I rarely agree with him. 
Thanks Tim, I've enjoyed reading yours over the years too.  I really have.  

I would disagree on the point about Biden/Iraq though.  He didn't just go along with the war- he was one of its most ardent cheerleaders from the Democratic side.  He was stridently pro-war at the most critical time.  When the war became overwhelmingly unpopular and a huge political liability, his position shifted to having been misled like it was an honest mistake.  But there were many credible figures calling the Bush administration's rhetoric bogus at the time.  Biden either just refused to listen or was deliberately misleading the public himself.  

Imagine if instead he had followed suit with Barbara Lee in opposing the war.  His position as head of the Senate foreign relations committee would have catalyzed major pushback against the Bush admin.  Instead he called witnesses that were uniformly in favor of the regime change program and left basically no room for dissent.  

This video narrated by Danny Glover covered it pretty well: https://youtu.be/vhcuei8_UJM

I don't care about Jan 6.  Some yahoos entered a building and carried a podium around, wow.  
There was a lot more to Jan 6 than some yahoos entering a building. 

It was the culmination of acts from a defeated president that lied to the American people and refuse to accept the election results and attempted to remain in power.

Last edited by a moderator:
However if I were Joe Biden I would make an offer right now: Trump announces he won’t run AND withdraws completely from political life: no interviews, no Truth Social, no endorsements for the rest of his life- I would grant him a complete pardon. 
This is quite the revealing admission. Thank you for your honesty.

Nope. However if I were Joe Biden I would make an offer right now: Trump announces he won’t run AND withdraws completely from political life: no interviews, no Truth Social, no endorsements for the rest of his life- I would grant him a complete pardon. 
Would NEVER happen. Not the pardon part. The complete withdrawal part. Trump isn't mature enough or disciplined enough to be able to do it.

How exactly do you enforce that - I'm sure Trump would be perfectly willing to say he wasn't running, get a pardon and then still run.  

How exactly do you enforce that - I'm sure Trump would be perfectly willing to say he wasn't running, get a pardon and then still run.  
I thought pardons could be conditional....just make the condition that if he reneges he spends the rest of his life in jail.  :shrug:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. However if I were Joe Biden I would make an offer right now: Trump announces he won’t run AND withdraws completely from political life: no interviews, no Truth Social, no endorsements for the rest of his life- I would grant him a complete pardon. 
OMG...You really don't understand politics at all do you.

Been some downright hilarious takes around here the last few days.

Biden turns up the insults on Donald Trump

The thesis to this piece is that Biden is increasing Trump attacks on purpose (obviously, I would say), to increase turnout among Dems and independents.

And it coincides with the hopes of Democratic campaigns that voters will come out and vote against the GOP because of Trump. 
That might be a nice benefit, but I think the main goal is to keep Trump in the race, and motivated. 

Best thing for the GOP is Trump backing DeSantis, and dropping out. If I wanted the opposite of that, what better way to do that than to anger/embarass Trump?

The thesis to this piece is that Biden is increasing Trump attacks on purpose (obviously, I would say), to increase turnout among Dems and independents.

That might be a nice benefit, but I think the main goal is to keep Trump in the race, and motivated. 

Best thing for the GOP is Trump backing DeSantis, and dropping out. If I wanted the opposite of that, what better way to do that than to anger/embarass Trump?
LOL at the jab that with his COVID, Trump had to be helicoptered to Walter Reed 😆

The Dems know that they are in trouble vs. anyone other than Trump. He will help get the Dem vote out & keep some conservatives home. So it's time to channel Ali and get the rope-a-dope out.

Is this the Trump thread that isn't just for adoration and approbation?

This Sam Harris podcast episode is pretty great.

For once in my life I don't agree with Harris here. Perhaps I'm not fully understanding his point since I didn't listen to the original podcast, but based on the lengths he goes in this episode to describe how vile Trump is, it feels to me like he's excusing media bias (and his own bias) because it might have swung the election in his favor.

Is this the Trump thread that isn't just for adoration and approbation?

This Sam Harris podcast episode is pretty great.

For once in my life I don't agree with Harris here. Perhaps I'm not fully understanding his point since I didn't listen to the original podcast, but based on the lengths he goes in this episode to describe how vile Trump is, it feels to me like he's excusing media bias (and his own bias) because it might have swung the election in his favor.
That's exactly what he's doing.👍

The ends justifies the means.

Users who are viewing this thread