What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (1 Viewer)

I'll be in NYC this week, tons of mixed emotions heading back there, especially knowing I won't be back for at least the rest of 2020. 

Michael Halkias passed away last month from Covid 19.

I know you’re thinking you don’t know who that is but actually you do.

20x a day, minimum.

#wemakeyourdreamscometrue
Yeah, saw that and it is sad. Loved those commercials.  

A couple of years ago they opened up a beer garden attached to it.  The wife and I went with another couple shortly after it opened as we needed to check it out and see what it was really like given we live a few block away from it. After several beers, we eventually got enough courage to sneak into main part and explore the place.   It is ####### huge to say the least.   It had two weddings going on and multiple other unused wedding areas.  In addition, it had an entire unused bar inside  that looked like it hadn't been touched in 50 years with awesome old woodwork. It of course had tons and tons of absurd statues,  paintings and fake gold paint like you would imagine from the commercials.  Took a ton of pictures of the place while exploring.   We were obviously exploring it and no one working there seemed to care.  It was almost like they knew the reason people would go to the beer garden was to see inside the "THE GRAND PROSPECT HALL" 

I really hope his death doesn't mean an end to the place.  

Last edited by a moderator:
#PrayMarchAct in the Bronx last night

Went to this last night - about 35 churches participated. 4th one I’ve gone on, others were Barclays, Union Square, and Central/West Harlem.

Saw massive protests Wednesday in Bed Stuy, Bronx, Flatiron, Garment District/Bryant Park, Greenwich Village/ WSP, Murray Hill, Park Slope, Queens (IDK where), UES (HC workers), and Williamsburg. 

Anybody else participating?

There was a protest near us in Park Slope on Sunday.   We joined for the initial start off at 9th street but did not join the full march up Prospect Park West as it was a bit too crowded for us even with all protestors wearing masks.    Cops not wearing any masks though which is really annoying.  It almost reinforces the imagine that they are above the law and why we need reform.

Also, big push I am hearing is schools in new budget are facing a 1 to 2 billion dollar cut but the police don't have any cuts.  Sorry but the cops are going to need to feel the pain as well on the budget crisis that is NY city at this point.   

There have been fireworks every night in PLG/Flatbush for hours on end pushing 1am and I expect it to go through July 4th. My dog is breaking down. I can't keep her drugged up 24/7. Running out of ideas...

There have been fireworks every night in PLG/Flatbush for hours on end pushing 1am and I expect it to go through July 4th. My dog is breaking down. I can't keep her drugged up 24/7. Running out of ideas...
Sucks- poor thing.

I'd say to call the cops, but...

#PrayMarchAct in the Bronx last night

Went to this last night - about 35 churches participated. 4th one I’ve gone on, others were Barclays, Union Square, and Central/West Harlem.

Saw massive protests Wednesday in Bed Stuy, Bronx, Flatiron, Garment District/Bryant Park, Greenwich Village/ WSP, Murray Hill, Park Slope, Queens (IDK where), UES (HC workers), and Williamsburg. 

Anybody else participating?
If we were there, we'd do something- join a protest nearby (or "riots" as our MD neighbors are calling them).

ETA...looks like we're heading back on the 24th.

Also, big push I am hearing is schools in new budget are facing a 1 to 2 billion dollar cut but the police don't have any cuts.  Sorry but the cops are going to need to feel the pain as well on the budget crisis that is NY city at this point.   
Biggest Gang of New York

The store owner is a friend of mine. Happened beginning of this week (Sunday?); guy was so freaked out he spent the Tuesday & Wednesday night sleeping in the store with his dog after seeing videos & threats posted on FB by one of the cops (since deleted, I saw the screenshot.) Our local councilman is pushing for an investigation. I don’t think any major news orgs have picked up the story.

Upstate Stock IG post

Probably comes across a lil’ whiny on the 2-3 IG posts but dang man just think about how you’d feel being intimidated by NYPD. As if the stress of Covid and the impact quarantine has had on small business isn’t enough to contend with rn.

This happened at his 2 Berry St location, I used to frequent his first location over on Graham Ave (near Greenpoint border.) 

The one near Bedford Ave on the L has a heavy police present every day because that’s where the nightly protests have been. Same cops are there everyday. After they traumatized him & posted the FB b.s. they were still parked / hanging around across the street for days (like 5-6 vans full of uniformed NYPD.)

Been here for 3 days.

Sadly, I can’t wait to gtfo. Think the recovery here is going to be longer than 9/11. Also, the real recovery can’t begin until there is a vaccine. 

Heading back tomorrow. Should be interesting after spending the last couple of weeks eating in restaurants and being around mostly mask-less people outdoors. Here, you get more looks if you are wearing a mask. The opposite of Queens.

Just came in to Laguardia.  Terminal B looks absolutely amazing. What a great job so far.
Hopefully you didn't have to ride a shuttle bus into points unknown queens just to get a taxi? (Like we did last time we flew into LGA in Feb)

All of my memories of LGA include dealing with construction.  That airport has literally been under continuous construction in some way for my entire life.  It's good to see a little results, even if you have to go to the middle of nowhere in Queens to get a taxi.

Hopefully you didn't have to ride a shuttle bus into points unknown queens just to get a taxi? (Like we did last time we flew into LGA in Feb)
I haven't had to do the shuttle in a while. That sucked. It was a little hike to the pickup garage but I think it's because we arrived at the old gates. I'm guessing that will change soon.

Heading back tomorrow. Should be interesting after spending the last couple of weeks eating in restaurants and being around mostly mask-less people outdoors. Here, you get more looks if you are wearing a mask. The opposite of Queens.
I don't know if it will be possible before you head out west permanently, but would still love to get that beer.  

When this is all said and done would love to do a NYC fbg beer or two somewhere in the city. When I joined this site like 20 years ago feels like there were tons of folks who lived in NYC and now there are only a hand full left.

Redwes25 said:
When this is all said and done would love to do a NYC fbg beer or two somewhere in the city. When I joined this site like 20 years ago feels like there were tons of folks who lived in NYC and now there are only a hand full left.
Sounds like fun.  If it helps any of you guys decide on your wardrobe, I’ll be wearing an “I’m with Stupid” t-shirt.

Heading back next Wednesday.

Not sure why my wife feels the hurry, especially as summer hits this beach area and everything is opening up (restaurants are dine in, swimming pools open, all stores and even some amusement activities like mini-golf and a water park).

But this isn't our house, and I know one of her brothers typically comes for July 4, so off we go. She's also done with this place...which I get...even if the same concern about heading back to essentially entertaining ourselves stuck in our small apartment isn't quite the NYC we love and miss.

But we can always come back down here, especially as the job front has been void.

Heading back next Wednesday.

Not sure why my wife feels the hurry, especially as summer hits this beach area and everything is opening up (restaurants are dine in, swimming pools open, all stores and even some amusement activities like mini-golf and a water park).

But this isn't our house, and I know one of her brothers typically comes for July 4, so off we go. She's also done with this place...which I get...even if the same concern about heading back to essentially entertaining ourselves stuck in our small apartment isn't quite the NYC we love and miss.

But we can always come back down here, especially as the job front has been void.
It sounds like the suburbs have been on fire in terms of real estate.  

I think we're coming back for school around Labor Day, but who knows.  The office situation continues to vex me and it seems like my company can't make a decision.

Soft real estate market this summer. One every decade or so: post-9/11, after Bear Stearns & Lehman, Covid. 60% of June 1 leases did not renew. Record number of sublets rn.

Will not last, NYC always bounces back. But great timing for buyers or if your lease is up.

BobbyLayne said:
Soft real estate market this summer. One every decade or so: post-9/11, after Bear Stearns & Lehman, Covid. 60% of June 1 leases did not renew. Record number of sublets rn.

Will not last, NYC always bounces back. But great timing for buyers or if your lease is up.
I don't think we've had a lease for 4 or more years. we've lived there for almost 20 years and know the french family who owns the apartment. they could absolutely get (or could've got, pre-covid) 50% more than we're paying, but I think appreciate the lack of hassle and us taking care of the place through a fire and every appliance dying at least once in those years.

eta: if we had to move at the same price point, I already know we'd be waaaay out in BK or Queens. and maybe not with a private patio and some of the other things we've got at our current spot.

I don't think we've had a lease for 4 or more years. we've lived there for almost 20 years and know the french family who owns the apartment. they could absolutely get (or could've got, pre-covid) 50% more than we're paying, but I think appreciate the lack of hassle and us taking care of the place through a fire and every appliance dying at least once in those years.

eta: if we had to move at the same price point, I already know we'd be waaaay out in BK or Queens. and maybe not with a private patio and some of the other things we've got at our current spot.
My first real apt (following a free FiDi corporate pad for a few months & 4 months in an illegal sublet in Chelsea) was a Brooklyn brownstone garden unit. Full & exclusive rights to a 25’ x 40’ garden on 2 levels, two mature London plane trees & a rather high wooden privacy fence. It was $970 and the adjustment were less than the approved rent stabilization increases every other year. Only stayed 8 years. Think it was 1170 or 1210 when I moved into Hell’s Kitchen for a 9-1/2 year sentence. Hopefully will never have to live on that side of the East River again.

#bkforever

My first real apt (following a free FiDi corporate pad for a few months & 4 months in an illegal sublet in Chelsea) was a Brooklyn brownstone garden unit. Full & exclusive rights to a 25’ x 40’ garden on 2 levels, two mature London plane trees & a rather high wooden privacy fence. It was $970 and the adjustment were less than the approved rent stabilization increases every other year. Only stayed 8 years. Think it was 1170 or 1210 when I moved into Hell’s Kitchen for a 9-1/2 year sentence. Hopefully will never have to live on that side of the East River again.

#bkforever
Something loser people who can't handle the real city would say for 500, Alex.

;)

Something loser people who can't handle the real city would say for 500, Alex.

;)
:lmao:

I’ve spent roughly 50% in each of the two best boroughs. Admittedly Boerum Hill (low key version of the WV) is not a fair comp to HK, especially when your walking commute goes through Times Sq 2x a day. But beyond bucolic streets I just prefer the Brooklyn pace.

Waterfront Williamsburg is Eurocentric (nicest euphemism I can think of) but more tolerable as you get closer to Bushwick. Even fully gentrified Greenpoint retains its Slavic charm.

I have fallen in love with the EV / Alphabet City in the 5 years I’ve been volunteering there. Too many bro’s walking around in U of Wisconsin-Madison tees these days but the old timers are a hoot. I could see moving there but unlikely I go back. There’s a little more sense illusion of community in BK.

There's an Irish pub in our neighborhood, Woodhaven House, that we would go to once or twice a week for several years. We didn't go as often over the past few years as other options opened up. They closed permanently too.

Any of you guys around for Phase 2 opening?

thoughts on how it's going so far?

we're going back on the 30th. mixed emotions...mostly excited, but not sure what everything's going to look like and what's going to be open/available. 

people here in OC MD have moved into don't care about social distancing phase. masks still on to go into stores, especially here in Ocean Pines... but in OC itself, next to nobody wearing masks and the beach has been packed. still nice to walk out of the house and go to the pool or for a run without worrying about crowds. my running friends in NYC are wearing masks... not fun.

El Floppo said:

we're going back on the 30th. mixed emotions...mostly excited, but not sure what everything's going to look like and what's going to be open/available. 

people here in OC MD have moved into don't care about social distancing phase. masks still on to go into stores, especially here in Ocean Pines... but in OC itself, next to nobody wearing masks and the beach has been packed. still nice to walk out of the house and go to the pool or for a run without worrying about crowds. my running friends in NYC are wearing masks... not fun.
:hey:

Took the Metro North in for the first time in 3 months and there were only 4 people in my car.   I'd been driving the one day a week I've been coming in but decided parking would be an issue.  But things are still dead in midtown, so probably should have driven in. 

El Floppo said:

Nobody is social distancing anymore but still wearing masks in stores. I'm going to a restaurant on Wednesday. 

Nobody is social distancing anymore but still wearing masks in stores. I'm going to a restaurant on Wednesday. 
My area is a little stricter then you it would appear.   I would say mask compliance is 95% outside and 100% inside stores, etc.   Social distancing is definitely down but when I see people walk on sidewalks, etc. people are giving folks a wide birth, etc.   Think there is a lot more of people gathering outside to talk to folks (lots of stoop happy hours where folks sit/stand farther apart than normal).   Tougher with the kids on distancing though all kids I see are wearing masks outdoor unless they are very little.  Bought kids laser tag stuff and been playing with their friends which is a really good activity where they keep there distance and still wear masks.  

My area is a little stricter then you it would appear.   I would say mask compliance is 95% outside and 100% inside stores, etc.   Social distancing is definitely down but when I see people walk on sidewalks, etc. people are giving folks a wide birth, etc.   Think there is a lot more of people gathering outside to talk to folks (lots of stoop happy hours where folks sit/stand farther apart than normal.   Tougher with the kids on distancing though all kids I see are wearing masks outdoor unless they are very little.  Bought kids laser tag stuff and been playing with their friends which is a really good activity where they keep there distance and still wear masks.  
Same experience but I can only speak for Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Bronx.

What’s the deal with fireworks after 11pm every night?
I hear it here every night but have had the air conditioner on so it hasn't been as noticable.

From what I've read, there seems to be a flood of cheap fireworks since so many 4th of July events have been cancelled. You're seeing more than the usual stuff, much more professional. I think it coincides with police slowdowns as they probably don't want to get involved. Some friends in poorer areas say it's completely out of control.

Drove my wife into work today. Traffic and most everything else about the city wasn't much different than before the virus. Except for masks of course.

I think NYC is going to be the test case for a second wave. Most other states that are hitting new highs are still in their first wave. We knocked it down fairly well here, lets see how fast it gets up off the floor as we open up. Hoping things can stay relatively low through the summer at least.

Drove my wife into work today. Traffic and most everything else about the city wasn't much different than before the virus. Except for masks of course.

I think NYC is going to be the test case for a second wave. Most other states that are hitting new highs are still in their first wave. We knocked it down fairly well here, lets see how fast it gets up off the floor as we open up. Hoping things can stay relatively low through the summer at least.
Think we are going to learn how effective masks are by watching NYC.  Mask compliance is really good here.  You go an hour outside the city and not so much.

Think we are going to learn how effective masks are by watching NYC.  Mask compliance is really good here.  You go an hour outside the city and not so much.
Even within the 5 boroughs there are huge differences. I drove my MiL to the doctor yesterday in Fresh Meadows (Union Turnpike and 188th). I waited outside for about an hour and a half and I think I only saw 1 person without a mask walking around. Here in Maspeth/Middle Village, I'd say it's about 50% Now, I''ll admit that I don't wear one while just walking around but our immediate area is so quiet, we rarely see anyone. My wife and I walk for about an hour each day, taking all back streets, and probably see maybe 10 people. We avoid the park, which is really crowded. We cross the street or walk in the street if people are coming towards us or standing in front of their house, especially those wearing masks so we don't make them feel uncomfortable. We always wear masks inside any stores, most of which are "no mask, no entry" anyway.

I wonder if Coumo will take action around Suffolk County.  Continuing to show worst Covid numbers in state and beach season is just getting started. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/
any thoughts on what's accounting for the rise there? just an increase in summer/beach travel and traffic?

the way the Carolinas are going, it's only a matter of time before this area of MD gets the whammy... especially seeing how few ####s people seem to give about social distancing or masks here (outside of stores where they're required).

any thoughts on what's accounting for the rise there? just an increase in summer/beach travel and traffic?

the way the Carolinas are going, it's only a matter of time before this area of MD gets the whammy... especially seeing how few ####s people seem to give about social distancing or masks here (outside of stores where they're required).
I don’t want to say politics plays a role but I beat it does. Lot more conservative/rural atmosphere there. 

Users who are viewing this thread