What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Next 100 TOP SONG OF 1969 - #1 Back In The USSR - The Beatles (1 Viewer)

#2 Sympathy For The Devil - The Rolling Stones

Keith Richards: it "started as sort of a folk song with acoustics, and ended up as a kind of mad samba, with me playing bass and overdubbing the guitar later. That's why I don't like to go into the studio with all the songs worked out and planned beforehand."

Reported fascination with Aleister Crowley lead to this samba with the dark one year after their album Satanic Majesties Request.  Many connect this song to the death of Brian Jones and the concert at Altamont, where Hell's Angels working security beat several people senseless and then stabbed to death 18-year-old Meredith Hunter.  

Marianne Faithfull who was part of the chorus that sang 'Whoo whoo' on the song was among those who believed that Jagger and the Stones unleashed dark forces on the world. "That frenzied power caused many of the casualties of the '60s,".

The line, "And I laid traps for troubadours who get killed before they reach Bombay" possibly refers to the notorious Thuggee cult, who worshiped Kali, the Hindu goddess of death. 

Jagger had written “Sympathy” as “sort of like a Bob Dylan song”, he told Rolling Stone’s Jann Wenner in 1995. But during recording, guitarist Keith Richards suggested its trademark samba beat. Jagger said this had “a tremendous hypnotic power… because it is a primitive African, South American, Afro-whatever-you-call-that rhythm. So to white people, it has a very sinister thing about it.”

#2 Sympathy For The Devil - The Rolling Stones

Keith Richards: it "started as sort of a folk song with acoustics, and ended up as a kind of mad samba, with me playing bass and overdubbing the guitar later. That's why I don't like to go into the studio with all the songs worked out and planned beforehand."

Reported fascination with Aleister Crowley lead to this samba with the dark one year after their album Satanic Majesties Request.  Many connect this song to the death of Brian Jones and the concert at Altamont, where Hell's Angels working security beat several people senseless and then stabbed to death 18-year-old Meredith Hunter.  

Marianne Faithfull who was part of the chorus that sang 'Whoo whoo' on the song was among those who believed that Jagger and the Stones unleashed dark forces on the world. "That frenzied power caused many of the casualties of the '60s,".

The line, "And I laid traps for troubadours who get killed before they reach Bombay" possibly refers to the notorious Thuggee cult, who worshiped Kali, the Hindu goddess of death. 

Jagger had written “Sympathy” as “sort of like a Bob Dylan song”, he told Rolling Stone’s Jann Wenner in 1995. But during recording, guitarist Keith Richards suggested its trademark samba beat. Jagger said this had “a tremendous hypnotic power… because it is a primitive African, South American, Afro-whatever-you-call-that rhythm. So to white people, it has a very sinister thing about it.”
I always thought that this had the best lyrics of any Stones song.

#1  Back In The USSR - The Beatles

The India retreat was the setting, Chuck Berry's Back In The USA and Mike Love of the Beach Boys were inspirations for the title and some of the lyrics.  

Love recalled Paul was strolling out from his hut at the ashram one morning: “I was sitting at the breakfast table and McCartney came down with his acoustic guitar and he was playing “Back In The USSR,” and I told him that what you ought to do is talk about the girls all around Russia, the Ukraine, and Georgia. He was plenty creative not to need any lyrical help from me, but I gave him the idea for that little section… I think it was light-hearted and humorous of them to do a take on The Beach Boys.”

McCartney was impressed with the idea and used some Beach Boys' elements in this song: Instead of "California Girls" it was "Moscow Girls." Plus, the definitive Beach Boy "Oooeeeeoooo" in the background harmonies.

Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone described "Back in the U.S.S.R." as the "perfect example" of the Beatles' ability to quote from others' work and "expand the idiom, but ... [also] to penetrate it and take it further" in a way that recent satirical albums by the Turtles and Frank Zappa had failed to do. 

#1  Back In The USSR - The Beatles

The India retreat was the setting, Chuck Berry's Back In The USA and Mike Love of the Beach Boys were inspirations for the title and some of the lyrics.  

Love recalled Paul was strolling out from his hut at the ashram one morning: “I was sitting at the breakfast table and McCartney came down with his acoustic guitar and he was playing “Back In The USSR,” and I told him that what you ought to do is talk about the girls all around Russia, the Ukraine, and Georgia. He was plenty creative not to need any lyrical help from me, but I gave him the idea for that little section… I think it was light-hearted and humorous of them to do a take on The Beach Boys.”

McCartney was impressed with the idea and used some Beach Boys' elements in this song: Instead of "California Girls" it was "Moscow Girls." Plus, the definitive Beach Boy "Oooeeeeoooo" in the background harmonies.

Jann Wenner of Rolling Stone described "Back in the U.S.S.R." as the "perfect example" of the Beatles' ability to quote from others' work and "expand the idiom, but ... [also] to penetrate it and take it further" in a way that recent satirical albums by the Turtles and Frank Zappa had failed to do. 
:clap:

Great stuff. And thanks for picking so many things from late '68 and leaving me a rich crop from '69!

I figured you would do Beatles for #1, but I had no idea what song it would be, since the White Album was eligible for you and there were still so many left. 

I went through my list and identified 31 songs that I wanted to rank highly, and another 60 or so I knew I wanted on there. Ordering the 31 now. Will make some headway on the rest but probably won't finish an order until tomorrow. Plus I have a few appointments out of the house. So I expect to start my countdown on Thursday. 

It's sort of weird how "Sympathy For The Devil" and "Gimme Shelter" got beaten out by two Beatles songs that I think are really just very good to middling in their oeuvre.

I always thought that the Beatles did R&B standards better than the Stones but that the Stones's twist on R&B made them potent as heck, ergo, I like early Beatles and late sixties Stones, I guess. I just think the Stones at their best beats fair to middling output by the Beatles. And both drafts seem to place a sort of primacy on that fair to middling output. Or maybe it's just wikkid talking to me in my own head.

But hey! What do I know?

Here's Mick, playing clueless Boomer rock star again. No, Mick, it's sinister because of the lyrics and the provocative title. "Sympathy For The Devil" wasn't made for the squares and the burghers in content and in blaring title.

Sometimes I feel like celebrities and rock stars need a reality interpreter when they try and diagnose why normal people either don't like something, think it's evil, or just don't get it.

It's sort of weird how "Sympathy For The Devil" and "Gimme Shelter" got beaten out by two Beatles songs that I think are really just very good to middling in their oeuvre.
Reasoning why I choose The Beatles Back In The USSR over Sympathy.

I was an unabashed Beatlemaniac as a teen and into my twenties and noted the ridiculous high number of Beatle tunes on this list so I was trying to spread them out.

Of the top three songs I could have put them in any order but and objectively know the musical and compositional structure etc. of Sympathy was worthy but could not put Sympathy at number one because their is more than 3D reality to this world, not a debate their is.  I've had brushes with it, respect it, do not think anyone in their right mind would have dabbled the way the Stones did who not only put out an album Satanic Majesties Request one year prior but then came back do double-down with Sympathy. 

I left out a lot of 'other' Satanic associations the Stones had like the song Ruby Tuesday which was about the Hollywood actress Tuesday Weld who they had a relationship with and was the high priestess for the church of Satan.  Ruby Tuesday seems innocuous compared to Sympathy which was in-your-face but Ruby Tuesday was recorded back in 1966 and released in 67 so their history of satanic fascination has deep roots. 

I haven't mentioned a lot of other creepy things they did or what happened once they really got into the dark side including a TV special surrounding the release of Sympathy that never aired till decades later.  

They were issuing an invitation to something beyond their ability to control.  Never was going to be my top song, never.

I went through my list and identified 31 songs that I wanted to rank highly, and another 60 or so I knew I wanted
I have a 'few' songs I left out that 'might' make the bottom half of your list and you don't have to make it to 100.  I'll shoot you a PM with those songs.

I'm sure this gem from 69 would be high on your list.  VD is for Everybody 1969 PSA

Kidding, I'll shoot you the list.

Carter Family picking, also known as the thumb brush, the Carter lick, the church lick, or the Carter scratch, is a style of fingerstyle guitar named after Maybelle Carter of the Carter Family's distinctive style of rhythm guitar in which the melody is played on the bass strings,
How To Play The Carter Scratch

Yeah, Marty Stuart demonstrates that style in the Ken Burns Country Music Documentary. Which I highly recommend: excellent. 
The Rub (beginnings to 1933) - Country Music documentary Disc 1

Reasoning why I choose The Beatles Back In The USSR over Sympathy.

I was an unabashed Beatlemaniac as a teen and into my twenties and noted the ridiculous high number of Beatle tunes on this list so I was trying to spread them out.

Of the top three songs I could have put them in any order but and objectively know the musical and compositional structure etc. of Sympathy was worthy but could not put Sympathy at number one because their is more than 3D reality to this world, not a debate their is.  I've had brushes with it, respect it, do not think anyone in their right mind would have dabbled the way the Stones did who not only put out an album Satanic Majesties Request one year prior but then came back do double-down with Sympathy. 

I left out a lot of 'other' Satanic associations the Stones had like the song Ruby Tuesday which was about the Hollywood actress Tuesday Weld who they had a relationship with and was the high priestess for the church of Satan.  Ruby Tuesday seems innocuous compared to Sympathy which was in-your-face but Ruby Tuesday was recorded back in 1966 and released in 67 so their history of satanic fascination has deep roots. 

I haven't mentioned a lot of other creepy things they did or what happened once they really got into the dark side including a TV special surrounding the release of Sympathy that never aired till decades later.  

They were issuing an invitation to something beyond their ability to control.  Never was going to be my top song, never.
Yeah, see the comment above the one you quoted. They seem clueless why this would offend or put people off at all, this dabbling in dark spirits. I can certainly see why people wouldn't have it number one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Insane how deep that year was. Could probably make a very listenable list of 500 if you wanted, especially bringing in a bit of 1968 per Bracie's rules.

Insane how deep that year was. Could probably make a very listenable list of 500 if you wanted, especially bringing in a bit of 1968 per Bracie's rules.
Agreed. I think we could each essentially make our own top 100 without crossing paths.

Great stuff as usual, Bracie.

Hollywood actress Tuesday Weld was the high priestess for the church of Satan. 
Wut?

My intense 5 seconds of Googleing turns up nothing on this in her Wikipedia article , but then an excerpt from something that says what you stated, plus says she was the head of the Illuminati. 

I’m having trouble reconciling ex-Mrs. Dudley Moore with the the hidden power behind the whole world. Do we really trust this source? 

Any backward masking warnings from Paul and John out there to corroborate this?

Illuminati?

Wut?

My intense 5 seconds of Googleing turns up nothing on this in her Wikipedia article , but then an excerpt from something that says what you stated, plus says she was the head of the Illuminati. 

I’m having trouble reconciling ex-Mrs. Dudley Moore with the the hidden power behind the whole world. Do we really trust this source? 

Any backward masking warnings from Paul and John out there to corroborate this?

Illuminati?
Wow, a smug five minute Google expert?  

I have never in my entire life run across a smug five minute Google expert.  Its amazing that a person can indeed without any other knowledge become a smug five minute Google expert on everything.  That is all anyone without any prior knowledge needs is arrogance five minutes and Google.

You really showed us all. 

You'll be happy to know I have since seen my first Breaking Bad and binged the first season over the past four days.👍
then you saw my old house. the first two years, they did a lot of exteriors in my ol' hood - i'd see crews at my bank, my Chinese takeout place, and we'd get circulars in the door that driving crews might be on my street. i counted 1 static and 2 driveby views of my mud hut. the highlight was when one of my poker customers who had a used car lot a coupla blocks away called to tell me that that TV show was blowing up a car today just down the street, so we all went down and watched Walter get revenge on Beemer dood. good times -

Never would have figured NM for your local.
i used to bang on that story all the time 'round here. 1977, i got a weekly comedy radio show that people are starting to buy in syndication to play at 11pm Sat nites as a lead-in to watching Saturday Night Live (they actually had parties based around watching that in those days). we're negotiating with RKO General for a big contract and everything when my insides blow up w an ulcer from the pressure.

get a call from my HS sweetheart (and STILL the sexiest human being ive ever known) who's living in a commune -a dozen homesteaded mining shacks in the mts above Santa Fe - and her old man has just taken off for Mexico so she invites me to fill her open slot...quit everything str8away, tricked out a van and VROOM. commune turned out to be like 6 guys and 30some mostly naked hippie chicks. i was actually glad when when her ol' man came back from Mex, know'm'sayin? didnt even look up for year. showbiz aint been a factor since. 

moved to NV in the 80s to gamble for a living but returned after my wife died in '96. lived in 'Burque til i came back east a few yrs ago to care for aged parents. so there's that -

Bracie Smathers said:
Wow, a smug five minute Google expert?  

I have never in my entire life run across a smug five minute Google expert.  Its amazing that a person can indeed without any other knowledge become a smug five minute Google expert on everything.  That is all anyone without any prior knowledge needs is arrogance five minutes and Google.

You really showed us all. 
I sincerely was not trying to “correct” you or show anyone up. The Tuesday Weld thing was something I had never heard an inkling of before and seemed like it would almost qualify as an urban legend. I openly stated that I briefly looked for more info and only found the link that also said she was the head of the Illuminati, which I admit, I find dubious.

I then asked for what other knowledge you had about this because I was genuinely interested in the story and I recognize you have researched the music and culture of the time period more than I ever will.

The rest was just joking around with the age-old  Beatles vs. Stones debates, the backwards masking phenomenon, and seeing in wiki that Tuesday Weld was once married to Dudley Moore, which is slightly less incredible than being the alleged head of the Illuminati to me,  but still something new I learned.

Clearly I caused you some offense. Apologies. That was never my intent.

can you smell what Walter's cookin'?
Believe it or not.

I've never seen a single episode.
Just got done binging the entire 62 part series and saw El Camino right after and will binge Saul.

I had heard about the show for years so I 'probably' would have gotten around to it but after seeing the BB Crystal Blue Persuasion montage it tipped me over the edge to watch and I have to say that now, after seeing the entire series that THIS SCENE may be the most perfectly edited montages in the history of television.

It is perfect, PERFECT.😙

Users who are viewing this thread