What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**NFC Divisional Round - Bucs at Lions** (-6, 48.5) Kickoff Sun 3:00 (1 Viewer)

I haven't seen my best friend from childhood in 20 years. We do chat a couple times a year online about this and that. I was raised in a Cowboys or get out household. Him in a 9ers or get out. haha

This #### goes back to the late 60s with us. He just texted me: I have an extra ticket for the game next weekend. You want it?

His wife and best buddy/business partner cannot make it. I texted back: Sorry to hear your wife and best friend are having an affair. See ya late Saturday night!

Nice. That sounds great. I hope you enjoy it. Niners/Lions tilt sounds crazy.

Thanks. I can't decide what to wear. My old Roger Staubach jersey or buy a Barry Sanders jersey. :)
I'd only do the former if I was interested in talking **** all night.

Why didn't TB call a timeout there with 36 seconds left it been 4th down Detroit would had to try a FG no lock they make it.

That was dumb to not call a TO there
Wow, you're right. What the heck were they thinking? That's insane.

I have to assume that the NBC graphic was wrong.
It was right TB had 1 timeout left. I just checked the game logs. They called 1 on offense and 1 on defense in the 2nd half.

• 2nd & 7 at TB 41​

(2:54 - 4th) Timeout #2 by TB at 02:54.
  • 2nd & 7 at TB 41​

(2:54 - 4th) J.Goff pass short left to D.Montgomery to TB 45 for -4 yards (L.David).
  • 3rd & 11 at TB 45​

(2:10 - 4th) (Shotgun) J.Goff pass incomplete short middle to A.St. Brown.
  • 4th & 11 at TB 45​

(2:06 - 4th) J.Fox punts 35 yards to TB 10, Center-J.McQuaide, fair catch by D.Thompkins.
  • 1st & 10 at TB 10​

(1:59 - 4th) Two-Minute Warning
  • 1st & 10 at TB 10​

(1:59 - 4th) (Shotgun) B.Mayfield pass short right to M.Evans to TB 15 for 5 yards (J.Reeves-Maybin).
  • 2nd & 5 at TB 15​

(1:35 - 4th) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Mayfield pass short middle intended for C.Otton INTERCEPTED by D.Barnes at TB 28. D.Barnes to TB 28 for no gain (C.Otton).
  • 1st & 10 at TB 28​

(1:33 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 29 for -1 yards.
  • 2nd & 11 at TB 29​

(1:06 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 30 for -1 yards.
  • 3rd & 12 at TB 30​

(0:34 - 4th) J.Goff kneels to TB 31 for -1 yards.

Yeah that was super weird, right? From both HC.

Tampa Bay had the one timeout given back to them at the 3 minute mark because there was a penalty that stopped the clock instead. I wonder if that didn’t get relayed back to the TB sideline properly or something. It was announced on the PA, maybe both teams didn't hear it? Was loud af in there.

BTW, here is the math in why going for two was correct:
Assumptions:
1. You are able to pull off the miracle and score two TDs with no other scoring.
2. 95 percent chance of making XP
3. 55 percent chance of making 2 pts.
4. 50 percent chance of winning in OT.

Chances of winning by going for Two.
Scenario 1: Make 2 pt, then XP
.55*.95 = 52.3%
Scenario 2: Miss 2 pt, make 2 pt, win in OT
.45*.55*.5 = 12.4%
Scenario 3: Make 2, Miss XP, win in OT.
.55*.05*.5 = 1.4%

Going for 2 points first, puts you winning percentage at 66%.

Going for the tie by kicking two XP, you will end up south of 50 percent.

.95*.95*.5 = 45.1%
.05*.55*.5 = 1.4%

Going for the win by kicking XP then going for two:

.95*.55 = 52.3%

So, it is really not even a close call. Go for two first. The worst case is kicking two XP, but that is the traditional call.

Last edited:
I thought the Bucs should have used that time out when there was around 2:40 remaining on the clock and it was 3rd down. You knew by letting it run down that the Lions were probably going to throw it now to convert. We got lucky that they didn't.

I missed that timeout scenario. That said, I'm going to proceed to get vehement about it, because I'm just a stupid fan and I'm not getting paid in the millions to watch games and pay attention to that stuff. He literally has everybody's fortunes at stake and folds the tent.

He should be fired today, and if not today, then tomorrow. That's a white flag joke. That would really grind my gears as a GM or anyone in that building. Your coach quit. That's inexcusable.

I missed that timeout scenario. That said, I'm going to proceed to get vehement about it, because I'm just a stupid fan and I'm not getting paid in the millions to watch games and pay attention to that stuff. He literally has everybody's fortunes at stake and folds the tent.

He should be fired today, and if not today, then tomorrow. That's a white flag joke. That would really grind my gears as a GM or anyone in that building. Your coach quit. That's inexcusable.
His explanation is so ridiculous that it makes me believe that he forgot they had a timeout and thought this explanation would be less embarrassing.

His explanation is so ridiculous that it makes me believe that he forgot they had a timeout and thought this explanation would be less embarrassing.

Todd Bowles and what he knew and what he didn't was always sort of a puzzler in New York, too. I remember it was always weird. He's just weird. A really good defensive tactician (for the most part), but weird.

Todd Bowles and what he knew and what he didn't was always sort of a puzzler in New York, too. I remember it was always weird. He's just weird. A really good defensive tactician (for the most part), but weird.
Like Wade Phillips, he should stick to being a DC. Doesn’t have HC skills.

Like Wade Phillips, he should stick to being a DC. Doesn’t have HC skills.
He’ll stick around because he’s in an absolutely horrid division, with one team owned by Snyder 2 and another coached by someone extremely feckless. The Bucs will join them in futility if Atlanta gets its coaching hire right.

That has to be the case - for both coaches.

They had that weird timeout-that-turned-into-a-penalty that got them a TO back, which I have to imagine confused both coaching staffs at the end of the game.

Holy crap, it's worse than I remembered. Goff kneels with like 34 seconds left from the video I just watched. I'm guessing that Detroit probably punts it and TB would have about 27-28 seconds to cover 80+ yards. Super low probability but you never know what could happen. Hell, maybe Detroit tries the FG and they miss or it gets blocked. How the hell do you not call the TO?

@Capella - maybe I'm overreacting here (and I think you want him gone anyway) but shouldn't he be fired for this? I'm almost beginning to wonder if he's lying and he didn't know they had a TO which maybe in his mind makes him look worse??

@Capella - maybe I'm overreacting here (and I think you want him gone anyway) but shouldn't he be fired for this? I'm almost beginning to wonder if he's lying and he didn't know they had a TO which maybe in his mind makes him look worse
He’s definitely lying but he is also definitely coming back next year so for me it’s one of those it is what it is situations. Bowles improved his standing with me (not that that matters at all) over the second half of the season but he clearly doesn’t get clock management.

But last year he didn’t get 4th down and when to go for 2 math either and he improved there so maybe he can here as well. I was more disappointed with how his defense played in the second half than the missed timeout.

Users who are viewing this thread