What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFC East - Ugh (1 Viewer)

This was almost unthinkable just a few weeks ago. Makes you wonder how next year will play out. Both Dallas and Philly have a major psychological impediment entering next year. You wonder how shaken each team’s confidence will be. If the Giants get a healthy QB and Washington gets a high end coach along with a good FA and draft class, the division will be wide open.

As I write this in January, I truly feel both Dallas and Philly will regress next year. These horrific playoff loses will linger.

Is that worse than the divisions that only sent 1 team to the playoffs? If the Chiefs lose their game in Buffalo, and are thus 1 and done, wouldn't that make the AFC West even worse?

This was almost unthinkable just a few weeks ago. Makes you wonder how next year will play out. Both Dallas and Philly have a major psychological impediment entering next year. You wonder how shaken each team’s confidence will be. If the Giants get a healthy QB and Washington gets a high end coach along with a good FA and draft class, the division will be wide open.

As I write this in January, I truly feel both Dallas and Philly will regress next year. These horrific playoff loses will linger.
Even more fascinating that both are in an identical position, surely internally debating if they fire their HCs, and go all-in on the same guy, Bill Belichick.

Dallas' situation was all too predictable - talented team, but a liability for a head coach. Was since the day he was hired. The team is doomed until they reluctantly move on.

Philly's certainly an oddity though. That team quit, but...why? Sure, they shouldn't have been 10-1, but they were. To have a team about face to that level given where they were a year ago is unprecedented. Sirriani should probably survive, but with an ultimatum and a new staff. This team was elevated based on what they had last year and I guess the stink just took longer than usual to infiltrate the perimeter. Who will be back though?

According to DVOA, the NFC East had one of the easiest schedules since the merger last year. It was a paper tiger then, too. Philly sort of lucked into the Super Bowl, though they'll fight you tooth and nail on that.

This year, Dallas was a paper tiger that got really exposed in Buffalo when they couldn't stop the run. Not having Diggs meant they had trouble stopping the pass, too. I had Green Bay winning that game given the way they were playing at the end of the year. A bunch of hungry young receivers and a blossoming quarterback spelled doom for a team perched upon a house of cards.

Philly is a different story. MAC has the million dollar question. Why did they quit? Did they give up once they saw what San Francisco brought to the table? Surely they didn't do that, did they? Whatever the case, they have a lot of talent and what appears to be dysfunctional situations all over the place. I can't believe that the players are happy with Matt Patricia as the DC. And the OC, Johnson, is no treat. Hurts looks hurt. There's dissension there. A.J. Brown didn't play, so we have to assume he's hurt, too.

Gonna be a long off-season in Philly.

Is that worse than the divisions that only sent 1 team to the playoffs? If the Chiefs lose their game in Buffalo, and are thus 1 and done, wouldn't that make the AFC West even worse?
how would the chiefs be 1 and done in this scenario?
Because I refused to pay $7 to peacock to watch one crummy wild card game, so it doesn't count.

NFC East is a mess right now. Dallas and Philly got embarrassed in the playoffs, the Giants sucked all year but were outdone by the Commanders who went into freefall and sucked even more. Yet some years the NFC East is among the toughest divisions. This was not one of them.

If McCarthy and Sirianni are fired then Daboll will be the only returning head coach in the NFC East.

On the other hand 2 out of 4 teams in the division made the playoffs.

Washington's going to get remade significantly in the offseason, and they've made a great start hiring Peters as GM. The head coaching candidates they seem focused on are good ones, they've canned Martin Mayhew (their former GM) and I think much of the front office will go. They'll probably pay a lot of attention to the scouts before retaining/firing them, because having good scouts is priceless. But I think Washington is on their way back, either slowly or more quickly (and the difference between those 2 rates could come down to 4 critical plays in 4 games). I'm kind of glad they just bottomed out.

And not a single dram nor drop of sympathy was spilled for either’s demise by the collective fanbases of every other NFL team.

Throughout the season, both the Eagles and Cowboys were at various times considered overrated for their lackluster performances against teams with winning records.

I’m guilty of believing the Cowboys would win in a close game against GB
(But confidently took the 7.5), but had zero confidence in an Eagles team that was missing key players on the road against a Bucs team playing with house money.

Both of these teams are laden with talent, but the Eagles have a ton of roster management to do with so many FA’s. Dallas seems to have a coaching crisis.

I’m not totally on board the narrative that Dak isn’t good enough to win in the post season. But Dak definitely can’t win in the post season with poor offensive schemes against above average defenses.

It’ll be interesting to see how each of these teams attempts to address their shortcomings in the offseason.

Because I refused to pay $7 to peacock to watch one crummy wild card game, so it doesn't count.
$2.99 for a month.

They also had a free trial, cancel any time. So…yeah.

$2.99 for a month.

They also had a free trial, cancel any time. So…yeah.
Free trial - that's how they get their hooks into you. Next thing you know it's 87 a month plus ads.

Sprained his knee.

Oh yeah, in the Giants game. He just took all his Eagles stuff down on social media (which he apparently did last year before the playoffs) so I'm just saying we have to assume he's hurt and not just not suiting up for other reasons.

He went down awkwardly against the Giants. So I don't doubt that he had to miss time.

Sprained his knee.

Oh yeah, in the Giants game. He just took all his Eagles stuff down on social media (which he apparently did last year before the playoffs) so I'm just saying we have to assume he's hurt and not just not suiting up for other reasons.

He went down awkwardly against the Giants. So I don't doubt that he had to miss time.
I’m not worried about Brown. He was injured and engages in standard diva WR behavior. He’s not toxic like TO or later-years Antonio Brown.

The front office has to figure out why the team melted down (maybe they already know) and make changes accordingly. There has to have been stuff that went on that hasn’t been made public yet.

Sprained his knee.

I’m not worried about Brown. He was injured and engages in standard diva WR behavior. He’s not toxic like TO or later-years Antonio Brown.

The front office has to figure out why the team melted down (maybe they already know) and make changes accordingly. There has to have been stuff that went on that hasn’t been made public yet.

Yeah, Brown is just being Brown, I think.

You'll find out someday what went down. I was surprised that Goedert vehemently expressed his displeasure with Hurts. This, when last year, Goedert had his arm around him in a post-game interview calling Hurts "my guy." Just weird to watch the Eagles play like they'd already quit when they were 10-4. I get getting wiped by Frisco and then losing to Dallas and Seattle on the road to bring them from 10-1 to 10-4. But after that? That's just something I can't figure out and something I don't think I have ever seen before in pro sports. I have never seen a team with a .700 or so winning percentage just up and quit on the year. And they really might have quit when their winning percentage was .833 (after the Frisco loss).

Truly bizarre.

Sprained his knee.

Yeah, Brown is just being Brown, I think.

You'll find out someday what went down. I was surprised that Goedert vehemently expressed his displeasure with Hurts. This, when last year, Goedert had his arm around him in a post-game interview calling Hurts "my guy." Just weird to watch the Eagles play like they'd already quit when they were 10-4. I get getting wiped by Frisco and then losing to Dallas and Seattle on the road to bring them from 10-1 to 10-4. But after that? That's just something I can't figure out and something I don't think I have ever seen before in pro sports. I have never seen a team with a .700 or so winning percentage just up and quit on the year. And they really might have quit when their winning percentage was .833 (after the Frisco loss).

Truly bizarre.
Honestly, it seems like they went into SF with a ton of swagger. The 1-seed was on the line, home field advantage, etc

And the 49ers just took their lunch money. Dominated them. Embarrassingly so.

National and local media went all in on calling them frauds, gutless, questioning leadership, coaching, etc.

That can all take a toll on a team. Then the loss to the Cards - at home - that was a true collapse. AZ was a scrappy team, but all the Eagles needed was to beat them to keep up with SF. And their defense got exposed again & again.

IMO those games back to back showed the Eagles their deficiencies, and they played like the wind was out of their sails the rest of the way.

According to DVOA, the NFC East had one of the easiest schedules since the merger last year. It was a paper tiger then, too. Philly sort of lucked into the Super Bowl, though they'll fight you tooth and nail on that.

This year, Dallas was a paper tiger that got really exposed in Buffalo when they couldn't stop the run. Not having Diggs meant they had trouble stopping the pass, too. I had Green Bay winning that game given the way they were playing at the end of the year. A bunch of hungry young receivers and a blossoming quarterback spelled doom for a team perched upon a house of cards.

Philly is a different story. MAC has the million dollar question. Why did they quit? Did they give up once they saw what San Francisco brought to the table? Surely they didn't do that, did they? Whatever the case, they have a lot of talent and what appears to be dysfunctional situations all over the place. I can't believe that the players are happy with Matt Patricia as the DC. And the OC, Johnson, is no treat. Hurts looks hurt. There's dissension there. A.J. Brown didn't play, so we have to assume he's hurt, too.

So the NFC East just gets the easiest schedule every year lol.

Not a single fan of any of these teams care about the glory of the division on its own, not even a thought about it.

Its still Dallas and Philadelphia's division b/c they actually have QBs on their roster.

The litany of "IFs" to make the Giants and/or the Commanders even a respectable/competitive team is long, let alone a winning team that either Dallas or Philadelphia is years in the making.

The Commanders don't even have a HC right now and while they do own a top 2 pick, who knows what/who they get. The #2 pick recently hasn't produced a ton of world beating QBs.

And the Giants. I mean, they have a QB that will rehab his way to maybe a week 4 start, and when he went out he had a 2-6 TD/INT ratio over 6 games. They have no O line. They have no WR's. Saquon is about to walk. They have 1 defensive player that is worth anything.

Gonna be a long time before these 2 teams become "anything"

Not a single fan of any of these teams care about the glory of the division on its own, not even a thought about it.

Its still Dallas and Philadelphia's division b/c they actually have QBs on their roster.

The litany of "IFs" to make the Giants and/or the Commanders even a respectable/competitive team is long, let alone a winning team that either Dallas or Philadelphia is years in the making.

The Commanders don't even have a HC right now and while they do own a top 2 pick, who knows what/who they get. The #2 pick recently hasn't produced a ton of world beating QBs.

And the Giants. I mean, they have a QB that will rehab his way to maybe a week 4 start, and when he went out he had a 2-6 TD/INT ratio over 6 games. They have no O line. They have no WR's. Saquon is about to walk. They have 1 defensive player that is worth anything.

And yet the entire division will be watching the rest of the playoffs from their couches.

Sam Howell & Daniel Jones, right there with Dak & Jalen.

PHI & DAL have their QBs? I am inclined to question whether that narrative is accurate based on what I watched last weekend.

Daniel Jones is the only NFC East QB to be undefeated in the wild card round. He has more career wild card round wins than Hurts, and 2 fewer divisional round losses than Prescott. That's the guy I want leading my team.

And yet the entire division will be watching the rest of the playoffs from their couches.

PHI & DAL have their QBs? I am inclined to question whether that narrative is accurate based on what I watched last weekend.
LOL, at some point the entire NFL is watching 2 teams play the playoffs called the Super Bowl while everyone else is at home. Weird flex but OK.
As far as the bolded, as much as I hate to defend Dak, he is coming off an All Pro Season where he led the NFL in passing TDs right? And Jalen Hurts just signed a contract extension last year.

Dead cap money to move either QB:

Dak: $60M
Hurts: $104M

Do you think either of these teams are realistically going to take these kind of dead cap hits?

Sam Howell and Daniel Jones didn't make the playoffs and their combined wins still don't reach the level of what Philadelphia or Dallas got.

And neither QB will be the teams QB going into the start of this year due to crap play or injury. And Daniel Jones played crappy before the injury.

LOL, at some point the entire NFL is watching 2 teams play the playoffs called the Super Bowl while everyone else is at home. Weird flex but OK.
Super Bowl? :lol:

Bruh - It’s the 2nd round. They didn’t survive wild card weekend & you talkin about the Super Bowl. Lmao

Cmon. They both played exactly 1 more game than WAS & NYG & you’re trashing those teams.

Last edited:

Bruh - I t’s the 2nd round. They didn’t survive wild card weekend & you talkin about the Super Bowl. Lmao

Cmon. They both played exactly 1 more game than WAS & NYG & you’re trashing those teams.
Everything you say is true. I'm just trying to figure out what the point is. "The Eagles and Cowboys lost their playoff games" - I get that. But is there something else you are driving at?

Bruh - I t’s the 2nd round. They didn’t survive wild card weekend & you talkin about the Super Bowl. Lmao

Everything you say is true. I'm just trying to figure out what the point is. "The Eagles and Cowboys lost their playoff games" - I get that. But is there something else you are driving at?
Yes. The big picture is that all 4 of the NFC East teams are sitting on their couches, so trashing WAS & NYG when the other 2 representatives of that division were 1 & done seems ridiculous.

Teams are closer to competitive than you think. It took the Jets two years from having a totally barren cupboard to other teams signing their guys off the practice squad. They couldn't hide all their defensive talent. The Rodgers implosion notwithstanding (by that I mean him commandeering resources to use on Cobb, Lazard, Dalvin Cook, and others), the Jets turned their team (not QB) around in two years flat. It can go more quickly than expected. If the Commanders hit their pick at number two, they're right back in the thick of it. The Giants are murkier, I'll admit. They're in limbo with Daniel Jones.

Look at the Texans as a better example than the Jets. Nobody thought they would compete this year, but they hit on a few picks and are golden right now.

Teams are closer to competitive than you think. It took the Jets two years from having a totally barren cupboard to other teams signing their guys off the practice squad. They couldn't hide all their defensive talent. The Rodgers implosion notwithstanding (by that I mean him commandeering resources to use on Cobb, Lazard, Dalvin Cook, and others), the Jets turned their team (not QB) around in two years flat. It can go more quickly than expected. If the Commanders hit their pick at number two, they're right back in the thick of it. The Giants are murkier, I'll admit. They're in limbo with Daniel Jones.

Look at the Texans as a better example than the Jets. Nobody thought they would compete this year, but they hit on a few picks and are golden right now.
Correct here. All you need to do is hit on a QB. Ask the Bears how that's going.

For only the 5th time in the Super Bowl Era, a division has sent multiple teams to the playoffs only to have both teams never hold a single lead in losing one-and-done. This year’s Cowboys and Eagles are the first to do it since 2021…when the Cowboys and Eagles did it.
If Houston upsets the Ravens will that be the first time a division sent 3 teams to the playoffs but none of them won?

Dak is demonstrably overrated. That’s easy.
Hurts is beginning to give those vibes.
He grew each year as a player but absolutely has fallen apart over the last 7-8 games. Wondering if the sample size grows,

He grew each year as a player but absolutely has fallen apart over the last 7-8 games. Wondering if the sample size grows,
“It’s the all the play calling lol “

We’ll see. I think @DJackson10 is the only fan that sees the real Hurts imo

“It’s the all the play calling lol “

We’ll see. I think @DJackson10 is the only fan that sees the real Hurts imo
Steadly agrees as well

Honestly thought they were better than KC in the Super Bowl last year. It's natural for Super Bowl losers to regress, but they looked so damn strong this season...until they didn't. Kept expecting them to kick into gear, but they were always downshifting instead. Really bizarre with all the great players they have.

Honestly thought they were better than KC in the Super Bowl last year. It's natural for Super Bowl losers to regress, but they looked so damn strong this season...until they didn't. Kept expecting them to kick into gear, but they were always downshifting instead. Really bizarre with all the great players they have.
IMO they never looked even remotely as strong as they did last year. They were escaping with wins during their first 11 game stretch. Last year they were the best team in football (sorry Chiefs).

Users who are viewing this thread