What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Films presents "Jeff Saturday's Indianapolis Colts" Week 15-Blows a 33 point lead vs the Vikings (1 Viewer)

People are forgetting that the Colts defense is pretty good
I think the defense is solid but it's also not the same without Leonard. IMO they've faced one good offense all year, and they did well in that game. The good news for them is they only face two higher end offenses for the ROS, such is life in the AFC South especially a year you draw the NFC East.

First right coaching decision by Saturday was to bench Ehlinger. He isn’t an NFL QB IMO. The OL played inspired today. Then I remembered it was the Raiders.
So I thought the narrative was that these QB decisions were coming from Irsay not the coaches. This would seem to be Saturday's doing, although Ehlinger was so bad that it's possible Irsay had seen enough.
My understanding was sticking with Ehlinger was one of the things that got the previous coach fired. I would imagine that switching back to the veteran QB was one of the conditions of employment for Saturday not a decision he made. (Not that many people who have watch Ehlinger attempt to play NFL QB would disagree with switching back) I also think saying hiring Saturday was an attempt to tank the rest of the season is misguided because of the switch and also because we saw Taylor back in the lineup yesterday. Congrats to Saturday for winning yesterday but the 3 biggest factors in the win were Taylor, the switch in qbs, and the Raiders. Saturday comes in a distant 4th. It WAS good to see the team not implode so its way too early say definitively whether this will turn into the train wreck some of us assumed or not.

I'll tell you what. I have respect for the amount of hours football coaches put in, but I'm not entirely sure Saturday so is far out of left field that he deserves ridicule. It's not like they hired a Heisman winner who ran a wishbone to coach the team with no pro experience. Dude was a pro with Peyton Manning for at least eight or so (or longer) years. They ran a no-huddle where Saturday was responsible for calls at the line. He knows offenses and coverages and all that.

I don't think this was as egregious as people make it out to be. And yes, I have heard it discussed in the context of race. The media will do everything they can to cover racial angles in society because it sells. It pisses off the right and the left laps up the grievance aspect of it.

Aside from the Rooney Rule, it would seem that all the people crapping on the decision are the in-the-know "experts" themselves, people who hire people like Nathaniel Hackett and raid coaching trees for any shred of what looks like competence, often giving guys like Joe Judge or Freddie Kitchens the keys to a team. The people that hire these guys are certainly not infallible. Anybody remember Judge's second and eight QB sneak? Kitchens's fourth and fourteen draw play? That was more embarrassing to the ins and outs of the profession than anything Saturday could ever dream of.

I don't think Saturday will do incredibly well, and he might lose the players, but it will be through no fault of his own. The powers-that-be have made him suspect from the jump. It's easy to pile on a guy as a player, especially when he's asking you to do such difficult bodily tasks. But don't tell me the Colts are going to be worse than they were. They'll get coached up by the coaches and they'll at least have Matt Ryan and Jonathan Taylor as the focal points of their offense, unlike under Frank Reich, who seems to have made a ton of baffling decisions in his tenure.

And there's no way this guy is worse than Urban Meyer. Anarchy99 is either being hyperbolic or sorely mistaken. Meyer wouldn't even travel with the team and was getting lap dances from girls in the time he was supposed to be game planning. He treated his players like dogshit and physically abused them when he felt it was his right. He kicked a kicker, for goodness sake.

So ixnay on that one.

I'm pulling for the dude. I think that NFL and its attendant industries needs a wake-up call in so many ways. Perhaps he's one to provide it in part.

Such a good point made in this post. It's laughable hearing the old boy's club feigned outrage here. Experience doesn't equal performance. Neither does pedigree. And for that matter, in many cases, the nepotism produces some of the worst head coaches the NFL has ever seen. Look no further than Josh McDaniels or Nate Hackett and if you go back further you have more names to list than you have paper to list them on. Maybe a few more teams need to start thinking outside the box? It can't be any worse. This isn't to say Saturday will or will not have long term success, but it's ridiculous hearing guys complain about the hire like the current system is so great at finding winners.
I'll tell you what. I have respect for the amount of hours football coaches put in, but I'm not entirely sure Saturday so is far out of left field that he deserves ridicule. It's not like they hired a Heisman winner who ran a wishbone to coach the team with no pro experience. Dude was a pro with Peyton Manning for at least eight or so (or longer) years. They ran a no-huddle where Saturday was responsible for calls at the line. He knows offenses and coverages and all that.

I don't think this was as egregious as people make it out to be. And yes, I have heard it discussed in the context of race. The media will do everything they can to cover racial angles in society because it sells. It pisses off the right and the left laps up the grievance aspect of it.

Aside from the Rooney Rule, it would seem that all the people crapping on the decision are the in-the-know "experts" themselves, people who hire people like Nathaniel Hackett and raid coaching trees for any shred of what looks like competence, often giving guys like Joe Judge or Freddie Kitchens the keys to a team. The people that hire these guys are certainly not infallible. Anybody remember Judge's second and eight QB sneak? Kitchens's fourth and fourteen draw play? That was more embarrassing to the ins and outs of the profession than anything Saturday could ever dream of.

I don't think Saturday will do incredibly well, and he might lose the players, but it will be through no fault of his own. The powers-that-be have made him suspect from the jump. It's easy to pile on a guy as a player, especially when he's asking you to do such difficult bodily tasks. But don't tell me the Colts are going to be worse than they were. They'll get coached up by the coaches and they'll at least have Matt Ryan and Jonathan Taylor as the focal points of their offense, unlike under Frank Reich, who seems to have made a ton of baffling decisions in his tenure.

And there's no way this guy is worse than Urban Meyer. Anarchy99 is either being hyperbolic or sorely mistaken. Meyer wouldn't even travel with the team and was getting lap dances from girls in the time he was supposed to be game planning. He treated his players like dogshit and physically abused them when he felt it was his right. He kicked a kicker, for goodness sake.

So ixnay on that one.

I'm pulling for the dude. I think that NFL and its attendant industries needs a wake-up call in so many ways. Perhaps he's one to provide it in part.

Still has those timeouts this morning while he was making coffee
He's done a good job of hiding all his shortcomings well
He starts the job, he gathers a win early and then almost beats Philly.
Gave a roaring halftime speech last night apparently because the Colts stormed Lucas Field in the 3rd Q and it looked like they might snatch another win until...
Time Management, it's a coach killer

Gave a roaring halftime speech last night apparently because the Colts stormed Lucas Field in the 3rd Q and it looked like they might snatch another win until...
always fun to lambaste the low hanging fruit of inexperienced interim coach
but seems he ran out of downs, not time

by stopping the clock, would that that have granted him an automatic first down?

by stopping the clock, would that that have granted him an automatic first down?
How about just the idea that they were down a full 7 points with under 3 minutes then under 2 minutes and they just kept letting time evaporate rather than use the power to stop time and discuss options?
I'm shocked more folks did not see the terrible time management on display late in that football game.
It felt like they were just trying to get in FG range or that 1 last play as a couple ticks are left on the clock, they haven't actually fired a ball into the end zone down a TD late in the 4th, they throw that one magic toss that has no chance of being caught and everyone says they simply ran out of time...that's what that drive felt like as I watched it and they didn't even get it that far down the field.

I thought it was one of the poorer efforts I've seen from a 2 minute offense in several weeks at least.
What were his plans with those timeouts if they had even converted when they were hovering around 30-45 seconds?
Horrible play calling, horrible execution and horrible time management...you can circle any or all three of them at the end for the Colts.

I like Jeff Saturday. But last night in the final minutes of the game he looked confused,like a deer in the headlights look on his face. Not saying The Colts would have won if he managed the game better,but a coaches job is to put his team and players in the best position to win. He didn't do that.

How about just the idea that they were down a full 7 points with under 3 minutes then under 2 minutes and they just kept letting time evaporate rather than use the power to stop time and discuss options?
I'm shocked more folks did not see the terrible time management on display late in that football game.
It felt like they were just trying to get in FG range or that 1 last play as a couple ticks are left on the clock, they haven't actually fired a ball into the end zone down a TD late in the 4th, they throw that one magic toss that has no chance of being caught and everyone says they simply ran out of time...that's what that drive felt like as I watched it and they didn't even get it that far down the field.

I thought it was one of the poorer efforts I've seen from a 2 minute offense in several weeks at least.
What were his plans with those timeouts if they had even converted when they were hovering around 30-45 seconds?
Horrible play calling, horrible execution and horrible time management...you can circle any or all three of them at the end for the Colts.
It was really bad. I was "okay" with not calling one until Ryan came up short on his scramble. First, Ryan can't give himself up in that scenario 3 yds short of the first down w the clock winding. Second, Saturday needs to call TO immediately so they can get 2 plays called. It was like Jim Caldwell all over again.

It was really bad. I was "okay" with not calling one until Ryan came up short on his scramble. First, Ryan can't give himself up in that scenario 3 yds short of the first down w the clock winding. Second, Saturday needs to call TO immediately so they can get 2 plays called. It was like Jim Caldwell all over again.
That's the exact play and spot. They absolutely should have called timeout, 100% agree
Any one sitting in the stands or watching at home would have utilized one of their timeouts there, thats precisely what they are there for.

That's the exact play and spot. They absolutely should have called timeout, 100% agree
Any one sitting in the stands or watching at home would have utilized one of their timeouts there, thats precisely what they are there for.
I was sitting in the stands watching in horror as the clock just kept ticking away.

Saturday’s inexperience was on display during that time. I was yelling at the TV for him to call timeout. I have no idea what was rolling around in his head.

Saturday’s inexperience was on display during that time. I was yelling at the TV for him to call timeout. I have no idea what was rolling around in his head.
In fairness, maybe centres don't call a lot of timeouts?

In fairness, maybe centres don't call a lot of timeouts?
He’s in charge, so he better figure it out quick. Strike one.

Colts interim head coach Jeff Saturday said he wants to continue coaching the team in 2023.​

Coming off a humiliating Week 13 Sunday night loss to the Cowboys, Saturday said he is "not discouraged at all" and claims to have "a vision of what this could look like in the future, and that's what I work toward every day." The Colts have lost three of their four games with Saturday at the helm, and face another tough test in Week 15 against the 10-3 Vikings. Saturday said he plans to interview for the full-time head coaching spot after his shocking hiring was widely criticized, as owner Jim Irsay did not consider more qualified coaches of color to head his flailing franchise. The Colts will have to have a strong final month of the season if Saturday has any chance of continuing as head coach in 2023.
SOURCE: Joel Erickson on Twitter
Dec 13, 2022, 12:09 PM ET

Colts interim head coach Jeff Saturday said he wants to continue coaching the team in 2023.​

Coming off a humiliating Week 13 Sunday night loss to the Cowboys, Saturday said he is "not discouraged at all" and claims to have "a vision of what this could look like in the future, and that's what I work toward every day." The Colts have lost three of their four games with Saturday at the helm, and face another tough test in Week 15 against the 10-3 Vikings. Saturday said he plans to interview for the full-time head coaching spot after his shocking hiring was widely criticized, as owner Jim Irsay did not consider more qualified coaches of color to head his flailing franchise. The Colts will have to have a strong final month of the season if Saturday has any chance of continuing as head coach in 2023.
SOURCE: Joel Erickson on Twitter
Dec 13, 2022, 12:09 PM ET
Yeah, good luck with that Jeff. I like Saturday and I think he's a good leader, but I saw all I needed to see with that clock management gaffe a couple of weeks ago.

Colts just gave up the worst comeback in NFL history. Jeff Saturday is a nice guy, was a good football player, and is photogenic with his salt & pepper hair, eyebrows, and eyelids. Jeff Saturday is not an NFL coach.

Colts just gave up the worst comeback in NFL history. Jeff Saturday is a nice guy, was a good football player, and is photogenic with his salt & pepper hair, eyebrows, and eyelids. Jeff Saturday is not an NFL coach.

Coaching malpractice
The better team prevailed. Everything went against the Vikings in the first half. A comedy of errors and what not. I was texting back n' forth with my buddy who is Vikings fan. I told him they are going to win this game. I took the Vikings and points when they fell behind, and I took them at 15-1 odds to win and finally at 25-1 odds to win. I won all my longshot bets. It was an incredible game to watch.

Coaching malpractice - well, he's in over his head. Losing Taylor early hurt them even with a huge lead.

Steve Smith just called for him to be the first interim Head Coach to be fired during the season.
WOW!!!
I’m sure Irsay would like nothing more than do it, but probably feels it would be even more embarrassing - if it’s possible - for hiring him in the first place.

In the NFL there is a fine line between going from good to bad. It seems that it can happen overnight, so don't get too comfortable with the success of your team. Unless of course you have a 20 year run like that Patriots.

@Ministry of Pain
@JohnnyU

Colts interviewed interim head coach Jeff Saturday for a second time for the team's head coaching vacancy.​

Colts owner Jim Irsay called Saturday, who went 1-7 during his eight games as interim head coach, a "strong candidate" who would get a real shot at the full-time job. The Colts will reportedly grant second interviews to seven head coaching candidates in the coming days, meaning Saturday still has a long way to go before he clinches the job. His hiring would be another in a long string of embarrassments for the Colts, one of the foremost laughingstocks in professional sports.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Jan 25, 2023, 10:17 AM ET

@Ministry of Pain
@JohnnyU

Colts interviewed interim head coach Jeff Saturday for a second time for the team's head coaching vacancy.​

Colts owner Jim Irsay called Saturday, who went 1-7 during his eight games as interim head coach, a "strong candidate" who would get a real shot at the full-time job. The Colts will reportedly grant second interviews to seven head coaching candidates in the coming days, meaning Saturday still has a long way to go before he clinches the job. His hiring would be another in a long string of embarrassments for the Colts, one of the foremost laughingstocks in professional sports.
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Jan 25, 2023, 10:17 AM ET
Smoke and mirrors. I don't think Irsay wants to be perceived as a laughingstock owner. If I'm wrong, I hope he continues popping pills and actually increases that activity. In the past Irsay made some good decisions (Polian, Dungy, Manning), but he's lost it somewhere along the way.

Can Peyton or Eli be the OC and QB Coach?

That's my 1st question since they are on track to draft a QB in the 1st Round
The Manning brothers made $500M between them in combined salary over their careers. Plus who knows how many millions in endorsements (estimated at $250M). Why on earth would they want to get involved in the day to day grind of being a coordinator or position coach?

Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
Sources: Jim Irsay’s No. 1 choice for HC remains Jeff Saturday, while others in the #Colts’ front office prefer different leading candidates.
Saturday, I’m told, presented his staff choices during his 2nd interview on Wednesday.
Irsay has not sat in on most interviews.
@theScore
------------------------
Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
I'm told #Colts owner Jim Irsay believes Jeff Saturday has the capabilities to be a head coach. That's why Saturday’s in this position and why Indianapolis might deliberate and take their time with a decision.
Saturday would pick his own staff, which he relayed in his interview.
-----------------------
Brent Sobleski
@brentsobleski

Can't imagine a worse situation than an owner ignoring the potential recommendation of the person leading his coaching search then pairing those two together, as if it will somehow work. Another disaster waiting to happen.

I've read a lot of discussion lately on what a coach truly does and how comparing to a manager is best.
Saturday didn't call defensive sets or offensive plays and he's getting a hugely bad rep for it...which is kind of what we do too though.

One film guy showed the Colts doing different things on offense and defense that really shouldn't be done except maybe ya try it once or twice to make a big play.

The Colts were known for their all world LB and he hurt his back badly. Everyone lied to themselves and said he'd be ok but we all knew differently. They were bad without him and that's not that surprising.

I expected Ryan to be Ryan but apparently he's hit an old man should retire mark and ya gotta wonder about Ballard's old QB evaluation because he's consistently wrong.

They had more key injuries and really not much chance in winning. Think "if I asked you last summer" phrase.

Knee jerk reaction- I'd turn over a lot of the roster, players that showed they can't step up. Reality probably is running camp different and coaches expecting far more from many players.
You're not winning in the NFL without a good QB and we all know that.

It's easy to blame Saturday but I'd almost skip that and be asking what each coach's "fix it" plan is.
Does the GM need to be fired? He's been celebrated. What's his stake in al these underperformers?
On paper this is a good team- wasn't great- lots of underperforming WRs and TEs people lie to themselves about too.

All I can think of is old style coaches running people til they puke and making men out of boys and those expressions. They don't do that in today's NFL of course. More likely is some surprise cuts or trades to wake em up and scare (job security) them into working harder.

Position coaches and really any staff are ripe for change. Is it not their job to get them to perform?

Who is the face of the franchise gonna be? Who has the plan to right the ship? And for whatever fandom reason it's valid- who can attract Peyton to get involved?

That could be Saturday- with a staff he trusts. Imagine his old OL coach and some player dogging it. A WR coach he knows. An OC he knows calling plays that have worked well for years and the WRs not getting open in time to make the plays effective. He can, but he doesn't have to get in the middle of that. He can trust the grown men to work it out and the fans are relieved to hear familiar faces returning and coaching.

This was the media darling team all last off-season and they weren't at all good under Reich either.

There's so many lies out there now, a holy wow amount. If I'm the owner I ain't talking to anyone that isn't honest and shooting me straight and probably firing a few that keep perpetuating lies. There is no way I'm doing a rebuild either. They were just favored to win the division and make the playoffs six months ago. I'd be real "hot" and then fired up excited for who is gonna fix it.

This is not the Cowboys and not the Packers. This owner is chasing rings and not thrilled about losing in a playoff game where doing good matters. He wants a ring.

The Colts went 1-7 with Saturday as HC, with a -11 ppg scoring differential (and -56.8 yards per game differential). To be fair, they played 6 consecutive games against teams with winning records. They were 3-5-1 under Reich this year with a -5.6 ppg scoring differential (and -6.7 yards per game differential). Saturday likely wasn't the main cause of their issues, but IMO, he likely won't be the primary component of a future solution, either.

Filling a coaching staff with familiar faces and former players doesn't mean those are qualified coaches or good hires. If Irsay wants to get the band together and stock the staff with guys that had been there before, that's his business. But ask the Patriots how things go when you put a long-time defensive coordinator in charge of the offense and the OL and a special teams coach in charge of the QB room. Putting guys in charge with no experience generally does not meet with good results.

If the Colts had been healthy and had been more cohesive, Saturday would never have been brought in in the first place. IMO, if he wouldn't have been a candidate when the team was expected to be more functional and a playoff contender, why would he suddenly be qualified now when they appear to have issues?

Last edited:
Can Peyton or Eli be the OC and QB Coach?

That's my 1st question since they are on track to draft a QB in the 1st Round
The Manning brothers made $500M between them in combined salary over their careers. Plus who knows how many millions in endorsements (estimated at $250M). Why on earth would they want to get involved in the day to day grind of being a coordinator or position coach?
I wanted to pause before I responded since I thought my sarcasm was crystal clear but obviously not so much.
I am more or less poking fun at the possibility that Saturday was anything more than an experiment
An idea by the owner with nothing to lose and I was going to try and assemble his new staff for him and started with the Mannings
I would also like to see Reggie Wayne announced as the new WRs coach and Dwight Freeney should also be hired as the new DC.
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread