What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL news before the draft (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Banner Season?...

The Philadelphia Eagles smartly gave team president Joe Banner a contract extension through 2010.

In talking to Banner on Friday, he offered up a couple of very interesting nuggets for the Eagles pertaining to the draft. (Now, being fair, who the heck knows if Banner is telling the truth a week before the draft. But look, we asked the questions, he gave the answers on the record, so we write about it).

Banner made it perfectly clear that the "big back" is hardly a priority for the Eagles. I think that is a mistake. The Eagles need an in between the tackles runner to compliment Brian Westbrook.

The team president also said he values the current group of receivers much more than perhaps those on the outside do. I would be very surprised if the Eagles draft a wideout in the first round. It just doesn't make any sense. They already have young and talented players such as Reggie Brown and Greg Lewis. What they need is a veteran.

On that note, Banner did acknowledge the team could make a trade. I asked Banner about the perception that the Eagles simply don't trade picks for players. He stated he absolutely would if the price was right. I specifically asked about Javon Walker and Ashley Lelie. Banner couldn't comment directly on the players, but did say he wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger, and depending on compensation, wouldn't necessarily need these free agents to be to sign a contract before the deal is done.

Banner also stressed how much Andy Reid likes to build his team from the inside out, starting on the offensive and defensive lines. Winston Justice will be the choice if he is on the board, but I don't he will be there for the Eagles at 14.

The Next Antonio Gates?...

George Mason big man Jai Lewis is trying his hand at the NFL. The former hoops star worked out on Thursday for about 12 NFL teams. Lewis, who played tight end in high school and got football offers from East Carolina and West Virginia, is looking to take the same path that former college hoopster Antonio Gates took to the NFL. Lewis has a big body, great athleticism, fantastic hands, lower body strength, and hip rotation.

In talking to Lewis on Friday, he told us that he believes the Bengals, Rams, and Steelers have the most interest in him. Lewis does not anticipate that he will get drafted, but has been told he will be gobbled up quickly after day 2 a developmental player.

Former UConn bruiser Ed Nelson is also trying to transition to the NFL as a tight end.

Mo Money...

In our opinion, Notre Dame wide receiver Maurice Stovall has a great chance to make an instant impact in the NFL. As Stovall admitted on Friday, playing for Charlie Weis has him ahead of other receivers in this draft. Stovall said NFL teams have told him that his one year drinking the Weis' kool-aid has put him mentally ahead of the class of receivers.

Stovall reports he had long and indepth meetings with Denver and Tampa Bay.

Stovall is big, strong, athletic, and has great hands. The team that picks him in round 2 is getting a talent and worker with major upside.

Grin and Bear it...

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo made a smart decision by signing restricted free agent Ricky Manning Jr. to an offer sheet that will guarantee him about 7.6 million dollars. Manning would fill a major void as a nickle back, and could even replace Charles Tillman. With Ken Lucas and Chris Gamble at the cover corner position, I don't believe the Panthers will match.

This gives the Bears some interesting options in the first round, where I previously had them pegged for a CB. While they can still go that route, that can also consider a pass catching tight end, outside linebacker, or the best defensive player on the board regardless of position.

I expect Chicago to address the offensive line later in the draft.

Hodge Podge...

Here are two players that I think are vastly underrated coming into this draft; inside linebackers D'Qwell Jackson and Abdul Hodge.

Hodge was Iowa's leading tackler the past three seasons. He is also a natural born leader, very smart, and as tough as nails. Hodge is a steel for teams looking for an inside linebacker in round 2. Hodge told me Friday that he has had great conversations with New Orleans, Oakland, and Tennessee, all teams that need this type of player, all teams that happen to pick early in round 2.

Bush league...

So the Texans are negotiating with Reggie Bush. What a surprise! If anyone believed the pick was Mario Williams, I had an island to sell you.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:

The Next Antonio Gates?...

George Mason big man Jai Lewis is trying his hand at the NFL. The former hoops star worked out on Thursday for about 12 NFL teams. Lewis, who played tight end in high school and got football offers from East Carolina and West Virginia, is looking to take the same path that former college hoopster Antonio Gates took to the NFL. Lewis has a big body, great athleticism, fantastic hands, lower body strength, and hip rotation.

In talking to Lewis on Friday, he told us that he believes the Bengals, Rams, and Steelers have the most interest in him. Lewis does not anticipate that he will get drafted, but has been told he will be gobbled up quickly after day 2 a developmental player.

Hodge Podge...

Here are two players that I think are vastly underrated coming into this draft; inside linebackers D'Qwell Jackson and Abdul Hodge.

Hodge was Iowa's leading tackler the past three seasons. He is also a natural born leader, very smart, and as tough as nails. Hodge is a steel for teams looking for an inside linebacker in round 2. Hodge told me Friday that he has had great conversations with New Orleans, Oakland, and Tennessee, all teams that need this type of player, all teams that happen to pick early in round 2.
most 7th round picks never pan out and a decent number of them never see week 1. jai lewis will be drafted on upside/publicity alone imoabdul hodge received a glowing review in TSN draft preview. they listed the pros and cons between he and teammate chad greenway. the final statement, "hodge usually beats greenway to the ball. that means something." :o

How about Maurice Stovall?

While it is a weak WR draft class this year, does Maurice have a great chance to make an immediate impact? Is it just a lack of top end speed that he is missing from his game?

Maurice Stovall is moving up the charts. A couple of months ago, I was hoping the Patriots would get him with their very high 3rd round choice. Then I was hoping they could get him in the 2nd round. The latest I have seen is that he has moved to the early part of round 2.

The team president also said he values the current group of receivers much more than perhaps those on the outside do.
I agree with this. The WRs are lacking in elite talent at the top. There's no Edwards or Fitz. The kind of player that you're just positive about. But the depth of talent is impressive and that becomes part of the perceived weakness, strange as it sounds. It's so deep that a player ranked 5th by one gury might be ranked 20th by another. So each of them, here and there, have big doubters, and that puts a question mark on the whole class. There's 15 pretty good looking receivers, a couple QBs who might make very successful transitions, and a couple very big and athletic players way under the radar. It's very hard to pick and choose from them.

The OTs are similar. Supply has decreased to demand and, imo, created a lot of unfounded criticism of several great looking prospects.

DBs are equally deep, but the supply seems to have no impact on the demand.

The team president also said he values the current group of receivers much more than perhaps those on the outside do. 
I agree with this. The WRs are lacking in elite talent at the top. There's no Edwards or Fitz. The kind of player that you're just positive about. But the depth of talent is impressive and that becomes part of the perceived weakness, strange as it sounds. It's so deep that a player ranked 5th by one gury might be ranked 20th by another. So each of them, here and there, have big doubters, and that puts a question mark on the whole class. There's 15 pretty good looking receivers, a couple QBs who might make very successful transitions, and a couple very big and athletic players way under the radar. It's very hard to pick and choose from them.

The OTs are similar. Supply has decreased to demand and, imo, created a lot of unfounded criticism of several great looking prospects.

the team pres is commenting on his own group of wrs i believe

the team pres is commenting on his own group of wrs i believe
I had the same impression.

Grin and Bear it...

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo made a smart decision by signing restricted free agent Ricky Manning Jr. to an offer sheet that will guarantee him about 7.6 million dollars. Link
:lmao: and he went straight to jail with it.

Users who are viewing this thread