What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL passes new rule to challenge/review pass interference (1 Viewer)

Do you support this new rule change?

• Yes

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters
So what does the new rule outline for reviewing a missed DPI call and then determining there was defensive holding before the pass but no DPI after the pass? I would guess they can’t call that. 

This may have already been said but for fantasy purposes you have to now hold your breath when your player catches a TD pass if it looks like there is any chance he may have pushed off with no flag thrown.  Especially in the final 2 minutes of a game.  Fantasy wins and losses will hinge on if the replay guy decides to stop the game for a look see on those missed or judgement calls that were very close.

This may have already been said but for fantasy purposes you have to now hold your breath when your player catches a TD pass if it looks like there is any chance he may have pushed off with no flag thrown.  Especially in the final 2 minutes of a game.  Fantasy wins and losses will hinge on if the replay guy decides to stop the game for a look see on those missed or judgement calls that were very close.
The NFL has been steadily eroding our ability to celebrate in the sheer joy of the moment when a great play occurs for quite some time.

This isjust another nail in the coffin.  Almost better to just wait till the gamebook comes out and celebrate the box score.  At least it’s official by then and won’t be abruptly overturned.  (Well, barring a stat correction midweek...)

But boxing/MMA/NASCAR/bull riding.......no problem?

The problem is the game was never for guys 225 pounds who can run a 4.4 40.
The NFL is in just a SLIGHTLY bigger platform and media exposure than Bull Riding.  And yes, even Bull Riding has stepped up its rider safety in recent years.

Not sure if there's that many head injuries in MMA... I can't comment on that cause I don't watch it.  But it seems they usually stop the fight after a bunch of blows to the head. 

None of those sports are worth the amount of money that football is, have the amount of athletes that football does, and be as huge of a law suit risk as football.  If you honestly think a new league would take over and have the rules they had in the 50's (in terms of hitting, concussion protocol, types of blocks, etc that are meant to increase safety), you're out to lunch.

All scoring plays are reviewed automatically. Will throwing an after the fact flag be part of the replay guy’s jurisdiction?

Pass interference is a ball in the air and point of attack play. There won’t be reviews of every pass route to determine if some guy on the other side of the field was held.  It’s also inherently a judgment call so coaches will have to be careful with what they challenge. This rule will help weed out the egregiously missed calls. I think it’s a good change and easily reviewable. PI calls are game changers. 

As I mentioned before....for the booth to ask for a review in the last two minutes it is going to have to be a pretty egregious miss.  They will still show support for the initial call or no calls by the on field officials.  i doubt every little tricky tack thing gets looked at....even on scoring plays.

Grahamburn said:
All scoring plays are reviewed automatically. Will throwing an after the fact flag be part of the replay guy’s jurisdiction?

Pass interference is a ball in the air and point of attack play. There won’t be reviews of every pass route to determine if some guy on the other side of the field was held.  It’s also inherently a judgment call so coaches will have to be careful with what they challenge. This rule will help weed out the egregiously missed calls. I think it’s a good change and easily reviewable. PI calls are game changers. 
The intentions behind these rules are always totally reasonable. Its the reality of their enforcement and the unintended consequences that so often make them a train wreck.

I can't tell you exactly whats going to go wrong with this, but whatever it is will look totally obvious in hindsight. I'd bet some cash this isnt the rule in 2020, whatever the next next change ends up being.

The intentions behind these rules are always totally reasonable. Its the reality of their enforcement and the unintended consequences that so often make them a train wreck.

I can't tell you exactly whats going to go wrong with this, but whatever it is will look totally obvious in hindsight. I'd bet some cash this isnt the rule in 2020, whatever the next next change ends up being.
Of course.  It depends on how it's enforced and the interpretation of what pass interference actually is.  If every challenge results in a flag because the WR was touched on the shoulder pad by an arrant finger from the defender I think we'll have a problem, and with slow motion replay we'll be able to see if the receiver was actually touched. 

If I'm yelling "he barely put a finger on him" at my TV after a non call, subsequent challenge, and then out comes the flag the NFL has screwed the pooch.

I would liken it to baseball's replay system, where, the essence of why it was instituted gets lost when a guy obviously slides safely into a base, but the defender holds his glove/ball on him until he pops off for a brief moment resulting in an out call after the play is challenged. 

Hopefully the NFL is smart enough to not allow ticky tack stuff to be challenged and flagged. 

Deamon said:
The NFL is in just a SLIGHTLY bigger platform and media exposure than Bull Riding.  And yes, even Bull Riding has stepped up its rider safety in recent years.

Not sure if there's that many head injuries in MMA... I can't comment on that cause I don't watch it.  But it seems they usually stop the fight after a bunch of blows to the head. 

None of those sports are worth the amount of money that football is, have the amount of athletes that football does, and be as huge of a law suit risk as football.  If you honestly think a new league would take over and have the rules they had in the 50's (in terms of hitting, concussion protocol, types of blocks, etc that are meant to increase safety), you're out to lunch.
How about we cool the ....out to lunch....BS, ok?  Been into football a long time, alright?  It has worked long before all this crap we see today,  ok?

The NFL makes WAY too big a deal of safety,  this is football a game that can't be played overly save, violence is the game, hitting is football.  When a rusher has to worry about falling on a QB .......why?

A league without being overly concerned with safety would sell if done right.

How about we cool the ....out to lunch....BS, ok?  Been into football a long time, alright?  It has worked long before all this crap we see today,  ok?

The NFL makes WAY too big a deal of safety,  this is football a game that can't be played overly save, violence is the game, hitting is football.  When a rusher has to worry about falling on a QB .......why?

A league without being overly concerned with safety would sell if done right.
It has worked before and now we're seeing the results of head injuries from the sport and it is not good.  Your "get off my lawn" old-man shtick is getting a little played out.  You're old, you've seen more football than anyone, you're smarter than everyone else, we get it.  Times change, and head injuries are no joke anymore.... a league without safety focus wouldn't make it a year in this day and age.

I would liken it to baseball's replay system, where, the essence of why it was instituted gets lost when a guy obviously slides safely into a base, but the defender holds his glove/ball on him until he pops off for a brief moment resulting in an out call after the play is challenged. 

Hopefully the NFL is smart enough to not allow ticky tack stuff to be challenged and flagged. 
I don't watch baseball much (mostly only watch if the Pirates are in the playoffs - I haven't seen much baseball over the last ~25 years   :lol:  ) but in the scenario you mentioned the guy should be called out.  If he's off the base and tagged, that's an out.  Once replay is instituted and the plays are scrutinized the league loses the ability to look at things in the spirit of the rule.  Almost by definition the league MUST enforce to the letter of the law when using replay otherwise what's the point of replay (I know, I know, to get the egregious calls right).  But the NFL has never really used replay for this purpose.  How many times have you heard/said "I don't even know what a catch is any longer?".  It's because they have over-scrutinized everything related to catches.

My fear with this rule change is that minor arm bars, sneaky grabs of the WR shoulder/shirt/whatever that were missed/let go because of real time or whatever will now be scrutinized to death in the last 2 minutes of the game/half.  How can the league not start calling these types of infractions when they will be obvious upon replay by the networks?  The networks will scrutinize every non-call almost forcing the hand of the NFL.  This was a gross overreaction to the bad call in the Saints/Rams game.

This was a gross overreaction to the bad call in the Saints/Rams game.
I think the overreaction is coming from the NFL fanbase. 32 of 32 NFL coaches and 31 or 32 NFL owners agreed to this. They want to be a better product than what they gave their consumers this year. You do that by making changes to improve glaring inefficiencies. Maybe this one will help. Maybe it won't. But things certainly wouldn't improve by doing nothing. And sure, "it would never happen again" like it did in Rams/Saints... until it happened again. That's two times too many. 

So let's play a little game.

Alshon Jeffery's TD catch in the Super Bowl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3nuGz4NGtc&t=0m33s

Does that get reviewed?  Call overturned to OPI, yes or no?

Malcolm Butler INT against the Seahawks.  In slow-mo looks like he got there a split second early.  Overturned?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7ZNQ8&t=0m44s
Figured someone was going to go here.  Many calls during that season/game would have been different so if this rule was implemented years ago, it's VERY unlikely that those exact plays would have happened at that point in that game.  Could easily have different SB teams, etc.  Let's leave the past the past, the rule hasn't even kicked in yet.

It has worked before and now we're seeing the results of head injuries from the sport and it is not good.  Your "get off my lawn" old-man shtick is getting a little played out.  You're old, you've seen more football than anyone, you're smarter than everyone else, we get it.  Times change, and head injuries are no joke anymore.... a league without safety focus wouldn't make it a year in this day and age.
Noboby has to play football, if you do decide to play you take on the risks involved just like a cop, the military, MMA, boxing.  If you don't want those risks then do something not so risky, what about don't you understand?

This day and age?  The MMA? Bigger, faster, more dangerous athletes in football.  Letting girls play football vs the guys. More young athletes in vs grown men than ever before.  More into PED's than ever  before, that....this day and age?

If a person is really concerned with head injuries then they stay out of football, just that simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alshon Jeffery's TD catch in the Super Bowl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3nuGz4NGtc&t=0m33s

Malcolm Butler INT against the Seahawks.  In slow-mo looks like he got there a split second early.  Overturned?

Impossible to determine what they intend to do until they do it. I gave my opinion that they should only overturn 2-3% of the calls with the intent of only overturning BLATANT errors.

Then they released the Cooks / Gilmore play from the SB as EXHIBIT A as a call that would be overturned and my hopes of things working out in the future got shot down pretty quickly. IMO, the way that game was called, they let a lot go and while the play COULD have been called DPI, I am not sure it was a no brainer, clear as day no call that had to be reversed.

I don't watch baseball much (mostly only watch if the Pirates are in the playoffs - I haven't seen much baseball over the last ~25 years   :lol:  ) but in the scenario you mentioned the guy should be called out.  If he's off the base and tagged, that's an out.  Once replay is instituted and the plays are scrutinized the league loses the ability to look at things in the spirit of the rule.  Almost by definition the league MUST enforce to the letter of the law when using replay otherwise what's the point of replay (I know, I know, to get the egregious calls right).  But the NFL has never really used replay for this purpose.  How many times have you heard/said "I don't even know what a catch is any longer?".  It's because they have over-scrutinized everything related to catches.

My fear with this rule change is that minor arm bars, sneaky grabs of the WR shoulder/shirt/whatever that were missed/let go because of real time or whatever will now be scrutinized to death in the last 2 minutes of the game/half.  How can the league not start calling these types of infractions when they will be obvious upon replay by the networks?  The networks will scrutinize every non-call almost forcing the hand of the NFL.  This was a gross overreaction to the bad call in the Saints/Rams game.
That was the point of the baseball example.  Without replay that play is never thought about because the runner beat the tag by a mile and continued his normal slide that is only detected because the slo mo replay shows he lost contact of the bag for .0001 seconds due to physics.  By the general intent of the rule he was safe (beat the tag to the base). 

I see this type of replay (PI decisions) in a similar vane.  If you go to replay you have to go by the letter of the law or what is the point.  Therefore any little tough, grab, contact should be called because that is the way the rule is written.  If it is not called that way you set yourself up for even more scrutiny because one team will wonder why this was called PI once and not now for a similar infraction.  I think that is the overwhelming worry most have stressed in this thread.

Impossible to determine what they intend to do until they do it. I gave my opinion that they should only overturn 2-3% of the calls with the intent of only overturning BLATANT errors.

Then they released the Cooks / Gilmore play from the SB as EXHIBIT A as a call that would be overturned and my hopes of things working out in the future got shot down pretty quickly. IMO, the way that game was called, they let a lot go and while the play COULD have been called DPI, I am not sure it was a no brainer, clear as day no call that had to be reversed.
Right but everyone is going to have their own interpretation of the last bit, if they even limit it to that.

Can you imagine that Super Bowl ending on 15 minutes of replay with all of us (and the entire football world) arguing about that play?

Neither play is PI.  Jeffery's got his hand on the defender but doesn't create separation with it or hinder the defender an any discernible way.

Butler has as much right to the ball as the Seattle receiver.  They're both going to a spot.

Users who are viewing this thread