What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL pouring salt in Bronco Fans wounds (1 Viewer)

The amount of national media-types there next Thursday will be higher than at the rest of Denver's home games the rest of the season combined...and all of their support people, non-Denver/Baltimore media, NFL administrative people, etc.
Link? NFL administrative people... Sure. A few extra media folks, sure. That's about it.

Secondly, in regards to your "would they do the same if it were Brady?" Abso-freakin-lutely. This just in: the NFL promotes it's stars.
So, you're saying we should expect to see a Peyton Manning banner hanging outside Foxborough on November 24th?

The NFL sent the Broncos a fax asking if they would be bothered by Flacco banners being hung on the stadium but apparently the team never got it
Lee Evans must have dropped it.

probably doesn't have the same effect as it would have last year :kicksrock:

Simple question. Will the city of Denver (and the a lesser extent the Broncos), create more revenue in the week leading up to this game, as they would any other home game?
Yes, dude, I am super duper, totally serious. Do you think Denver is holding the annual Super Bowl celebration the week leading up to that game? They aren't. the festivities and revenue will likely rival that of any prime-time regular season game in Denver with the same *local* excitement as a regular season game. Baltimore even gets to kick off the season with the annual insert generic top 40 band concert here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple question. Will the city of Denver (and the a lesser extent the Broncos), create more revenue in the week leading up to this game, as they would any other home game?
Yes, dude, I am super duper, totally serious. Do you think Denver is holding the annual Super Bowl celebration the week leading up to that game? They aren't. the festivities and revenue will likely rival that of any prime-time regular season game in Denver with the same *local* excitement as a regular season game. Baltimore even gets to kick off the season with the annual insert generic top 40 band concert here.
I already pointed out that the City of Denver will no doubt do something to cash in on the excitement of having the NFL opening day in their city. If they don't then I guess they are pretty dumb. And that is nobodies fault but the people who voted them into office.

A guy from the NFL told 104.3 the fan yesterday this is the first time they had ever put a banner of the visiting team on a home teams stadium. After that is when things started really heating up around here. The guys was an ####### and very condescending. Made it sound like the NFL was doing us a favor by letting us have the game here. A game that would have been played here sometime during the season anyway.
:lmao: "Guys from the NFL" don't just call up local radio stations. Pretty sure I've never, ever, ever heard an on-air interview with anyone from the NFL other than players, coaches or GMs.
Here you go.

http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=1620

Drew and Scott show hour 2 8/27/13

Starts at 19:25
I'll give that a listen when I'm not on my iPad.

Whether there are 10,000,000 extra people or 4 extra people in Denver for this game is irrelevant to the banner issue.

It is completely unnecessary to have banners of Flacco up to promote this game. It adds zero benefit to the Ravens or anyone else, and only serves to insult the Denver fans.

You want to plaster Flacco's face all over TV to hype up the first regular season appearance of the Super Bowl champs? Fine, go for it. But doing so with physical banners in a hostile city makes zero sense.

Dumb idea by the NFL all around.

The amount of national media-types there next Thursday will be higher than at the rest of Denver's home games the rest of the season combined...and all of their support people, non-Denver/Baltimore media, NFL administrative people, etc.
Link? NFL administrative people... Sure. A few extra media folks, sure. That's about it.

Secondly, in regards to your "would they do the same if it were Brady?" Abso-freakin-lutely. This just in: the NFL promotes it's stars.
So, you're saying we should expect to see a Peyton Manning banner hanging outside Foxborough on November 24th?
No, because November 24th is NOT the opening of the NFL season. Try to keep up there, Sparky.

I already pointed out that the City of Denver will no doubt do something to cash in on the excitement of having the NFL opening day in their city. If they don't then I guess they are pretty dumb. And that is nobodies fault but the people who voted them into office.
They have seeded the clouds and we are expecting 2 feet of snow - ski area reservations are going to be off the chain - that and all the people will think we live in the Arctic Circle and will never move here. win-win.

A guy from the NFL told 104.3 the fan yesterday this is the first time they had ever put a banner of the visiting team on a home teams stadium. After that is when things started really heating up around here. The guys was an ####### and very condescending. Made it sound like the NFL was doing us a favor by letting us have the game here. A game that would have been played here sometime during the season anyway.
:lmao: "Guys from the NFL" don't just call up local radio stations. Pretty sure I've never, ever, ever heard an on-air interview with anyone from the NFL other than players, coaches or GMs.
Here you go.

http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=1620

Drew and Scott show hour 2 8/27/13

Starts at 19:25
I'll give that a listen when I'm not on my iPad.
Brian McCarthy, the PR Director for the NFL is the guy that called, so when you listen to the cast you'll no longer be able to say that you've never, ever, ever heard an on-air interview with anyone from the NFL other than players, coaches or GMs.

My understanding of the interview: The NFL wants to incorporate a Super Bowl atmosphere to the opening night, and they are pretty unapologetic about making it appear neutral. He also repeatedly blames Baltimore for doing this. I think it's clear that McCarthy isn't interested in the Broncos best interests, but the NFL's. I didn't hear any condescension. At the end, he agrees that Flacco was on the stadium as a concession because Baltimore didn't host the opening game.

No, because November 24th is NOT the opening of the NFL season. Try to keep up there, Sparky.
I'm just trying to understand your argument, because it makes no sense. Has this happened in previous years' opening games? No. How can you possibly say they would do it if it were the Pats @ Broncos? There are precedents proving otherwise.

This really is pretty simple, and most everyone here agrees. The NFL made a mistake, and I'm sure it won't happen again.

I'm just trying to understand your argument, because it makes no sense. Has this happened in previous years' opening games? No. How can you possibly say they would do it if it were the Pats @ Broncos? There are precedents proving otherwise.

This really is pretty simple, and most everyone here agrees. The NFL made a mistake, and I'm sure it won't happen again.
Too many Bronco's fans are asking for examples of this happening in prior years. But, I already pointed out that the Super Bowl Champs have never had to start the season on the road. So, until we duplicate this same scenario, we don't know if the banner situation would be repeated. The closest thing we have to compare it to is the New Orleans home game at Giants stadium in 2005.

Explanations have been given. This is new territory for the NFL. While I personally don't think it's a big deal, I'm sure the NFL will take the Broncos fans reaction into account if faced with the same situation in the future. At least then we can point back to opening day 2013 as precedent for whatever fans are crying about it if it happens again.

Broncos fans should be happy, you finally finished first in something.

I really don't understand what this has to do with the banner? Even if there is more revenue created as you say-I'd be surprised if there's a noticeable difference between the revenue generated in this game versus if it was Sunday, but to give you the benefit of the doubt lets say there IS an increase.

Are you saying that there would be LESS of an increase if not for the banner? Lets say the home team, hosting the home game, decorates their stadium to celebrate THEIR TEAM ONLY...would the city of Denver (and the a lesser extent the Broncos), NOT create more revenue in the week leading up to this game, as they would any other home game?

Too many Bronco's fans are asking for examples of this happening in prior years. But, I already pointed out that the Super Bowl Champs have never had to start the season on the road. So, until we duplicate this same scenario, we don't know if the banner situation would be repeated. The closest thing we have to compare it to is the New Orleans home game at Giants stadium in 2005.

Explanations have been given. This is new territory for the NFL. While I personally don't think it's a big deal, I'm sure the NFL will take the Broncos fans reaction into account if faced with the same situation in the future. At least then we can point back to opening day 2013 as precedent for whatever fans are crying about it if it happens again.

Really? Never?

I really don't understand what this has to do with the banner? Even if there is more revenue created as you say-I'd be surprised if there's a noticeable difference between the revenue generated in this game versus if it was Sunday, but to give you the benefit of the doubt lets say there IS an increase.

Are you saying that there would be LESS of an increase if not for the banner? Lets say the home team, hosting the home game, decorates their stadium to celebrate THEIR TEAM ONLY...would the city of Denver (and the a lesser extent the Broncos), NOT create more revenue in the week leading up to this game, as they would any other home game?
Did you read the entire post? I know there are a lot of different parts to this whole situation, but it's not that difficult.

The banner is compensation for the Ravens playing in Denver instead of Baltimore. The increased revenue from hosting this game is compensation to Denver for a few banners that celebrate the Ravens. It's called a compromise or making the best of a difficult situation.

I still can't believe that people are thinking this game will be exactly like any other home game in regards to revenue for the city.

The NFL has been making a hash of this all along and they continue to do so.

For starters, they thought they could shove MLB and the Orioles around to get this game played in Baltimore. They were wrong. And as much as I've hated the Orioles' ownership for years now, this one is not their fault. The schedules of the White Sox and Orioles really didn't work for changing their games, and they would have needed Union approval to change the schedule anyway, which wasn't going to happen.

The NFL compounded the problem by basically threatening the Orioles, saying something like, "OK, well the Ravens are still playing that Thursday night, so have fun with 1,000 fans in the stands for that game."

Now, the NFL is peddling the line that it's the Orioles fault, and they're doing everything they can to help Baltimore. Um, everything? Here's a suggestion - how about playing the game Wednesday night? But wouldn't that be impossible and upset tradition? Let me remind you of last year:

The NFL has announced that the Giants will open the 2012 season on Wednesday, Sept. 5 at home.

The opponent has yet to be announced, but a logical guess is possibly the Green Bay Packers. The opener is being held on a Wednesday to avoid conflict with President Obama's Thursday night speech at the Democratic National Convention, according to an NFL spokesperson.
So why could this change happen last year, but not this year? Because New York counts a lot more than Baltimore.

Now the NFL is making a bad situation worse, by incensing the Broncos' fans with some BS. Why don't they just go ahead and put up some pictures of Mark Brunell in his '97 Jaguars uniform all over Denver while they're at it?

Really? Never?
I think the thin air in Denver is really hindering your ability to think logically.

The entire basis of this whole thing is that the NFL has opened the regular season on Thursday Night (or Weds) with the defending Super Bowl Champs at home. It has been this way for the past 10 years. Prior to that, there were 2 Thursday night games to open the season that did not include the Super Bowl Champs.

In 2003 the Buccaneers opened their season after winning the Super Bowl at Philadelphia on Monday night. In 2002, the Patriots hosted the Steeler's also on Monday night.

So the Buc's are the only team in the last decade plus not to open at home as defending champs. If this is your only argument, I suggest you rethink your approach.

Really? Never?
I think the thin air in Denver is really hindering your ability to think logically.

The entire basis of this whole thing is that the NFL has opened the regular season on Thursday Night (or Weds) with the defending Super Bowl Champs at home. It has been this way for the past 10 years. Prior to that, there were 2 Thursday night games to open the season that did not include the Super Bowl Champs.

In 2003 the Buccaneers opened their season after winning the Super Bowl at Philadelphia on Monday night. In 2002, the Patriots hosted the Steeler's also on Monday night.

So the Buc's are the only team in the last decade plus not to open at home as defending champs. If this is your only argument, I suggest you rethink your approach.
You go from the super bowl champs never opened the season on the road to super bowl in the last decade plus. I think you also are being needlessly rude about this. You don't see Denver fans mocking Omaha, right? I have no dog in this fight. I just see a situation where Broncos fans are rightfully annoyed.

If I were a Ravens fan, I'd be equally annoyed. No poster changes the fact that the defending super bowl champs have to open on the road. The NFL could have easily fixed something up so the Ravens game would be in Baltimore. The only bad guy here is the NFL.

Did you read the entire post? I know there are a lot of different parts to this whole situation, but it's not that difficult.

The banner is compensation for the Ravens playing in Denver instead of Baltimore. The increased revenue from hosting this game is compensation to Denver for a few banners that celebrate the Ravens. It's called a compromise or making the best of a difficult situation.

I still can't believe that people are thinking this game will be exactly like any other home game in regards to revenue for the city.
yeah I read it. And my point is still valid. There are banners all over town getting ready for this game. No reason to put one on the stadium is the point I and many others are making. I'll assume that you would agree, if they just didn't put the banner up on the stadium, no monetary adjustments would happen to the NFL or to Denver, correct? That would still be a compromise and would really eliminate the difficult situation you refer to.

Seems pretty straight forward to me, but you seem to want to argue that because the NFL is deigning to have the season opener in Denver then the Broncos deserve to have a picture of Flacco draped over their stadium as some kind of payment. That makes little to no sense to me, but whatever.

Really? Never?

You go from the super bowl champs never opened the season on the road to super bowl in the last decade plus. I think you also are being needlessly rude about this. You don't see Denver fans mocking Omaha, right? I have no dog in this fight. I just see a situation where Broncos fans are rightfully annoyed.

If I were a Ravens fan, I'd be equally annoyed. No poster changes the fact that the defending super bowl champs have to open on the road. The NFL could have easily fixed something up so the Ravens game would be in Baltimore. The only bad guy here is the NFL.
Well, you finally found something we agree on. Yes, the NFL is the bad guy here. But, this is far from the worst thing they have ever done.

I apologize for saying a super bowl champ has never opened on the road. I should have said, since the NFL implemented super bowl champs opening at home on Thursday night, there has never been a champ that has had to start on the road.

As, far as Denver fans mocking Omaha or vice versa? Not sure what that has to do with anything. I've made clear and fact based points in my statements throughout this thread. The only response from Broncos fans is that it makes them angry. If they refuse to look at it logically, and without emotion (which I was told to do in another thread), then they deserve to be mocked.

Too many people are looking at this like a standard home game. It's not. It a big deal for the NFL, they are using whatever tools they want to promote it. If you don't like it, maybe you should take up watch WNBA or Soccer.

I too have no dog in this fight, but when I listen to the Broncos fans cry about something like this, it makes it clear that I will be rooting against them this season.

yeah I read it. And my point is still valid. There are banners all over town getting ready for this game. No reason to put one on the stadium is the point I and many others are making. I'll assume that you would agree, if they just didn't put the banner up on the stadium, no monetary adjustments would happen to the NFL or to Denver, correct? That would still be a compromise and would really eliminate the difficult situation you refer to.

Seems pretty straight forward to me, but you seem to want to argue that because the NFL is deigning to have the season opener in Denver then the Broncos deserve to have a picture of Flacco draped over their stadium as some kind of payment. That makes little to no sense to me, but whatever.
You should re-read what you just posted. I'm not 100% certain what you are trying to say. I think the people that are against the banners are certainly right to be upset. Burning stuff to the ground upset? NO.

The Broncos fail to take any other considerations into the equation than just their own emotions. If they stepped back, looked at what they are getting as opposed to what they are losing. I think everyone would agree they came out ahead.

so you have no problems with the nfl hanging huge banners of the other teams players on your teams stadium during your teams home games?
If they only put up a banner of Joe Flacco - or Flacco's banner was bigger - I'd feel like the NFL was trolling their own fan base. By putting both QBs up - it just seems like they're trying to hype up the game.

so you have no problems with the nfl hanging huge banners of the other teams players on your teams stadium during your teams home games?
Bias much?

I have no problem if the NFL wants to put a picture of another teams player, on the outside of the stadium, for the opening night of the NFL season, when a large portion of the free world will either be watching on TV or attending in person.

Huge financial gain for the city of Denver and the Broncos franchise. All for the cost of one picture.
Correct ^

Please list the financial gains Denver gets. All TV money is equally shared and Denver has sold out 300 some games in a row no matter who they play. So I'm not seeing it.
You can't be serious. Do you even know how the real world works?

Hotels, rental cars, restaurants, etc. Not just the normal Sunday afternoon game. But, the extra media coverage because it is the 1st game and the only game on that day.
This.

That many people coming to see the game is a huge influx of cash to the local economy.
What extra people? A few more media types? It's not like lots and lots of people are going to come to Denver just for this game.
I understand you are a fan and can't see past it being a simple banner of an opposing player. I expect it, to a degree, from any fan.

However, you are completely underestimating the value of this opening game. I would bet you can already see people showing up in the city that wouldn't be there. It will be a week long event. Once the preseason games end on Thursday, all the attention will shift to the 6 days leading up to Denver.

Heck, just the guys that put that banner up. They wouldn't have been there for a Broncos game on Sunday (whether it was the afternoon or the night game)

As a fan that lives hours away from any NFL team (and even farther from my favorite team) I'm trying to keep from telling you to shut the F up. Life could be much worse then a freekin' banner.
You know dude I'm not alone here on this. It's on all the news that's all they talk about on sports talk radio. The Bronco fans are pissed not just me.
Of course all the Bronco fans are pissed. They're Bronco fans. Just like you, they can't see past the fact that Denver gained monetarily and competitively from hosting this game. The only compensation Denver is giving in return is a banner.

You make that statement as if a group of people can't be wrong.
You would think then that someone from the city/broncos would be pointing out all these great monetarily gains this banner/game brings to the city then wouldn't you. But so far no one from either the city or broncos are. So far only the guys who don't live here are.
Whether or not this banner brings in actual money - seems to make sense to me, but I don't really know. What I'm pretty sure of is that no NFL franchise has any incentive to calm down upset fans before a home game - just like all coaches/organizations use bulletin board material, they're also going to want any twelfth man advantage they can get.

Agreed. Use it as motivation to cheer your team to a win. I am concerned about the safety of any traveling Ravens fans. It the Broncos fans are upset enough to burn a banner, what are they going to do to visiting fans?

Also, the banner alone does not bring more revenue. The game itself (which includes the banner) is what brings more revenue. If the NFL started putting up banners like this at every home game, every Sunday, it would be a really bad move. As it stands. It's just a mistake that I believe the NFL will learn from.

Agreed. Use it as motivation to cheer your team to a win. I am concerned about the safety of any traveling Ravens fans. It the Broncos fans are upset enough to burn a banner, what are they going to do to visiting fans?
Coloradoans will be too busy treating salt burns in their wombs to be of any threat to hardy Baltimorons.

Also, the banner alone does not bring more revenue. The game itself (which includes the banner) is what brings more revenue. If the NFL started putting up banners like this at every home game, every Sunday, it would be a really bad move. As it stands. It's just a mistake that I believe the NFL will learn from.
Denver fans will be too high to do that.

You know dude I'm not alone here on this. It's on all the news that's all they talk about on sports talk radio. The Bronco fans are pissed not just me.
I'd be pissed too. Who wants to stare at a giant banner with a photo of a guy who didn't win you a single playoff game?

What if the game was against the Patriots and the banner had Tebow on it? There would be a civil war in Denver.

You should re-read what you just posted. I'm not 100% certain what you are trying to say. I think the people that are against the banners are certainly right to be upset. Burning stuff to the ground upset? NO.

The Broncos fail to take any other considerations into the equation than just their own emotions. If they stepped back, looked at what they are getting as opposed to what they are losing. I think everyone would agree they came out ahead.
The bolded is what I am saying. That's all I've been saying; I'm not sure how that isn't clear at this point. Also, I think its funny that you're pretty nonchalantly agreeing with me now on something that you've been arguing against for three pages.

To quote you: Quit complaining and enjoy your team.

The bolded is what I am saying. That's all I've been saying; I'm not sure how that isn't clear at this point. Also, I think its funny that you're pretty nonchalantly agreeing with me now on something that you've been arguing against for three pages.

To quote you: Quit complaining and enjoy your team.
Oh, don't misunderstand me. I think you should quit complaining and enjoy your team. I guess, my level of being upset and your level of being upset are two different things. I would look at the banner and think WTF is Flacco doing on the outside of my "house"? I wouldn't call into a radio show or rally the troops down at the local supermarket to take up arms against someone. I wouldn't risk a criminal record to destroy other peoples public property. (after all, you think Peyton would tear down your neighbors tree if it impeded your property?) I would use it as motivation to cheer on my team.

Then sometime around the Tuesday afternoon, when the marijuana smoke clears and everyone in Denver is able to think with relative clarity, I would realize that we got to host a pretty awesome game. If I was concerned about the banner, I would fire off an email to the NFL, just to let them know that it was a disappointing decision on their part.

Just make sure if the banner goes up in another city next year. That you and your buddies do an awesome road trip to burn those banners to the ground too.

Makes me more interested in watching the game. Eli's less-bejeweled brother should be really fired up to play this game.

So where do we sign the petition to have the League hang a banner of the opposing quarterback up at Mile High every week?

Users who are viewing this thread