What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL to Require Teams Participate in Hard Knocks (1 Viewer)

I really find it unbelievable and unprofessional for the league to force these coaches into something, during such a crucial period, that will make them uncomfortable and possibly throw them off.

Another notch on Goodell's belt I guess. Guy sucks.
Now imagine a coach had to do press conferences the week leading up to the Super Bowl, when all they were trying to do was prepare for the game.

Forgot the Jags - kinda the go-to team for the NFL when they want someone to do something nobody else wants. Presumably will have a new rookke QB as a drawing card (that fact might also serve to keep them off - lest the young QB be distracted). And again they are another team that they can out on there any year they want.

Gotta consider Washington the clubhouse favorite for next year if they have to force someone, right?

-QG

I really find it unbelievable and unprofessional for the league to force these coaches into something, during such a crucial period, that will make them uncomfortable and possibly throw them off.

Now imagine a coach had to do press conferences the week leading up to the Super Bowl, when all they were trying to do was prepare for the game.
Half an hour in front of a mic is equivalent to a camera crew in your office all day?

Forgot the Jags - kinda the go-to team for the NFL when they want someone to do something nobody else wants. Presumably will have a new rookke QB as a drawing card (that fact might also serve to keep them off - lest the young QB be distracted). And again they are another team that they can out on there any year they want.

Gotta consider Washington the clubhouse favorite for next year if they have to force someone, right?

-QG
Another good candidate, especially considering that the Jags are the soon to be Londoners if Goodell has his way.

Not a huge fan of some of the recent NFL decisions, but damn, why is everyone crying?

Can't anybody just be happy with what we have while we have it (the best sports entertainment in the world IMO) ? it might not last...

Half an hour in front of a mic is equivalent to a camera crew in your office all day?
Not close to a 1/2 hour's worth of time, and it is leading up to the biggest game of most of those players'/coaches' lives...Hard Knocks is leading up to Week 1...in truth, not a comparison at all.

Not close to a 1/2 hour's worth of time, and it is leading up to the biggest game of most of those players'/coaches' lives...Hard Knocks is leading up to Week 1...in truth, not a comparison at all.
They've got two weeks to prepare and all the teams that are playing go through the same routine. So it's a little longer, but it doesn't affect anyone's chance to prepare. They have press days all season long, every week, for games that only have a week in between. This is one team inconvenienced in the short time they have to prepare for the start of the season with double the roster they have to cut down, rookies, new players etc. vs two teams with four months together under their belts and a routine that both teams follow and that they have experience of doing for the whole season. I don't see it as very similar whatsoever.

The owners (you know, the guys who actually own the teams) voted for it. Wasn't some unilateral decision by Goodell.
Yes. Goodell is not calling the shots on this one. He wanted to call the show Soft Tappings because Hard Knocks was too violent.

This is more of the owners' greed than Goodell's since it was voted on by the owners. I'm sure theres going to be plenty of coaches that get forced into this and give the camera crews a hard time.

If no more coaches are fired (teams with new coaches are exempt from being forced on the show), and if no one else volunteers, one of these eight teams can be forced to be on the next season of Hard Knocks: Bears, Bills, Giants, Cardinals, Jags, Raiders, Rams, or Steelers.

I'd think Giants or Steelers would be HBO's top draws...
What about the Bears?

That would be a TV draw for sure with all the fans around the country.

1/2 hr a day, usually first thing in the morning I think. Bad comparison on your part.

The owners (you know, the guys who actually own the teams) voted for it. Wasn't some unilateral decision by Goodell.
This.

This is more of the owners' greed than Goodell's since it was voted on by the owners. I'm sure theres going to be plenty of coaches that get forced into this and give the camera crews a hard time.
Do the teams that sign up for Hard Knocks have any incentive from the league? Do they get any sort of money for doing it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Agreed. But not the way you think; you're analogy is absurd.

Here you go:

Here are the eligible teams. Any of these teams can be selected to appear on the show if there are no volunteers:

Arizona Cardinals

Buffalo Bills

Chicago Bears

Jacksonville Jaguars

New York Giants

Oakland Raiders

Pittsburgh Steelers

St. Louis Rams
Welcome to yesterday. Post #43 ;)
What teams would volunteer who are not on the list?
I think folks have been mentioning the Chargers possibly wanting to do it.

Read the article talking about the Giants - really didn't seem to have any more substance behind it than any random opinion in this thread - I still don't think they stick the Giants with it (or at least think it's less likely).

Ultimately whenever it gets to forced appearances (and I'm sure at some point the well of volunteers will run dry) I think that the NFL will have a primary bias of picking teams that are likely to "unqualify" for the game by returning to the playoffs the following year first and that next behind that would be the market/fanbase involved.

With that in mind I'm still thinking that if the Chargers or someone else doesn't step up that the league will impose this on the Steelers.

-QG

Do the teams that sign up for Hard Knocks have any incentive from the league? Do they get any sort of money for doing it?
its must be profitable in some way if the owners voted for this

Yeah you would think so. But I wonder if it's profitable for the league as a whole or does the team that appears on there get something? I feel like if there was a monetary incentive for the teams, more teams would push to be on there, no?

I think it is just great for PR/Marketing...my wife remembered who Danny Amendola was after watching two episodes. Where do everyday players get that kind of attention? Also, the NFL/Teams (probably to a larger extent now) get input on the stories that are profiled, and therefore can highlight the "good guys".

Also, Hard Knocks gave concessions too...while guaranteeing themselves a show every year, they also will likely have a crummy team...and what stops a franchise like Jacksonville from volunteering each year??

Users who are viewing this thread