What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL to rule on new drug rule Sunday. Effect on gordon, blackmon, welk (2 Viewers)

our league is pretty competitive and when I heard the news, I couldn't believe he was still available on WW. I scooped him up immediately. I'm sure there are several guys who aren't happy.

Gordan went undrafted in the friends and family league I've been in since 1999. After reading an article Friday morning about the possibility of Gordon's suspension being reduced, I ran out and waived Eric Decker for him as my 6th WR (PPR), understanding at the time that the article was pure speculation and even if it came true, there was a real likelihood that the new rule would not be applicable retroactively. This took place about 7 am PST. In our league we have freedom to do as many waivers as we wish of players who have not yet played their first game of the season. After week one, it goes to blind bidding for waivers, where Gordan would cost a bunch. My pick up of Gordon was a calculated risk and completely within the rules, and I was happy to have been the first in the league to see the news and react.

Around 4 pm PST, I start getting texts from the Commish that my waiver has thrown of the competitive advantage of the league and unless I agreed to give him up, I could be sure that the season would have a huge asterisk next to it, should I win. He basically gave me no out other than to reverse my waiver and make Gordan available to all.

Here's what he ended up posting on the league message board:

The NFL might change it's drug policy. This could affect players that are currently suspended such as Josh Gordon and Wes Welker. The effect could be no suspensions for these players. It's also possible that nothing will change from what it is now.

Since we have already held our draft this would have a major affect on the entire fantasy football season. For that reason, we will need to stick with the policy as we knew it on draft day.

All players currently suspended will remain suspended for the same number of games they have now. That means all season for Josh Gordon and 4 games for Wes Welker and Matt Prater. And any others.

Reasons for this decision.

1. Gordon's potential availability for this season would have changed the entire way our draft laid out. Every person would have drafted him if the NFL had not said he was suspended all season and again after his appeal.

2. Ray Rice was suspended for 2 games. After the NFL changed their policy that a first offender is out for 6 games they did not change his suspension to 6 games. It stayed at 2.

3. Fierce but friendly competition. Everyone in the league is a friend with at least one other person. All rules are set to make for good competition with the goal that everyone wants to return and battle again the next year.

4. The current owner of Gordon is fine with keeping him suspended for the entire season. He doesn't get him and neither does anybody else.

Gordon will remain on BAT1man's roster for now so that other people don't keep trying to pick him up before they read this.

Hopefully the NFL doesn't change anything from what it is now and this is just an exercise in proactive thinking.

Am I wrong to think this is bullcrud? How are other leagues handling this?
I'd tell him the competitive balance in the league was thrown off when you let me in it. I would not cave. In all likelihood, Gordon is going to be suspended all year anyway and this will blow over. If not though, you play to win right?

Gordan went undrafted in the friends and family league I've been in since 1999. After reading an article Friday morning about the possibility of Gordon's suspension being reduced, I ran out and waived Eric Decker for him as my 6th WR (PPR), understanding at the time that the article was pure speculation and even if it came true, there was a real likelihood that the new rule would not be applicable retroactively. This took place about 7 am PST. In our league we have freedom to do as many waivers as we wish of players who have not yet played their first game of the season. After week one, it goes to blind bidding for waivers, where Gordan would cost a bunch. My pick up of Gordon was a calculated risk and completely within the rules, and I was happy to have been the first in the league to see the news and react.

Around 4 pm PST, I start getting texts from the Commish that my waiver has thrown of the competitive advantage of the league and unless I agreed to give him up, I could be sure that the season would have a huge asterisk next to it, should I win. He basically gave me no out other than to reverse my waiver and make Gordan available to all.

The NFL might change it's drug policy. This could affect players that are currently suspended such as Josh Gordon and Wes Welker. The effect could be no suspensions for these players. It's also possible that nothing will change from what it is now.

Since we have already held our draft this would have a major affect on the entire fantasy football season. For that reason, we will need to stick with the policy as we knew it on draft day.

All players currently suspended will remain suspended for the same number of games they have now. That means all season for Josh Gordon and 4 games for Wes Welker and Matt Prater. And any others.

1. Gordon's potential availability for this season would have changed the entire way our draft laid out. Every person would have drafted him if the NFL had not said he was suspended all season and again after his appeal.

2. Ray Rice was suspended for 2 games. After the NFL changed their policy that a first offender is out for 6 games they did not change his suspension to 6 games. It stayed at 2.

3. Fierce but friendly competition. Everyone in the league is a friend with at least one other person. All rules are set to make for good competition with the goal that everyone wants to return and battle again the next year.

4. The current owner of Gordon is fine with keeping him suspended for the entire season. He doesn't get him and neither does anybody else.

Gordon will remain on BAT1man's roster for now so that other people don't keep trying to pick him up before they read this.

Hopefully the NFL doesn't change anything from what it is now and this is just an exercise in proactive thinking.

I'd tell him the competitive balance in the league was thrown off when you let me in it. I would not cave. In all likelihood, Gordon is going to be suspended all year anyway and this will blow over. If not though, you play to win right?
I think it's more likely he will play this year

I would insist he can play and offer him for trade for best offers. You might find people's willingness to accept him is dependent on their chance of having him on your team.

I like how that guy's #1 reason is that everyone would have drafted him. No, only 1 team would have drafted him. I would probably quit that league.

I think it's more likely he will play this year
Oh I have a sizeable bid in for him in one league that I'll find out about at 11:00. Worth the shot.

Total BS. Sorry about your league. I have one league I am in that is similar and I feel your pain.

I would tell them that you don't agree, but I wouldn't quit.

Then I would make lopsided trades with the teams that are playing the commish each week until your roster is depleted and then quit.

F Him

Total BS. Sorry about your league. I have one league I am in that is similar and I feel your pain.

I would tell them that you don't agree, but I wouldn't quit.

Then I would make lopsided trades with the teams that are playing the commish each week until your roster is depleted and then quit.

F Him
Let it burn....LET IT BURN!

I've got a very dumb question: why would this ruling change Wes Welker's suspension? I have done less reading than I probably should on the subject, but I thought this was marijuana related. Wasn't Welker's suspension for PEDs? Wouldn't that fall into a different category, or would the rule change affect how the NFL classifies amphetamines?

I've got a very dumb question: why would this ruling change Wes Welker's suspension? I have done less reading than I probably should on the subject, but I thought this was marijuana related. Wasn't Welker's suspension for PEDs? Wouldn't that fall into a different category, or would the rule change affect how the NFL classifies amphetamines?
The last part. Part of the agreement, supposedly, is to reclassify them as a substance abuse drug rather than a PED. Easier penalty for first timers I believe.

The last part. Part of the agreement, supposedly, is to reclassify them as a substance abuse drug rather than a PED. Easier penalty for first timers I believe.
First time offense would be player entered in the random drug testing protocol - no suspension.

I heard someone on TV, don't recall who now, say that amphetamines in the offseason would be classified as substance abuse. So from the distinction he made, I gather they are still PED during the season. Which makes sense. But Welker got popped in the offseason, around the Kentucky Derby, so yeah, it would count as substance abuse which would put him in the program but not be a suspension yet.

If Gordon scores points against someone's defense, do the points/yards count?
Not just that, but if someone has to start Hoyer/Manziel (if it's any kind of deep league) what happens when he throws a TD to Jordan?
Right. And what happens to the opposing DST when Gordon catches a pass (yards against) or TD (points against)? This is ridiculous. The commish should pull a Goodell and rescind his previous (and incorrect) decision.

If this happens tonight would welker play Sunday? Under new law his violation wouldn't carry a suspension but is his concussion cleared? He hasn't practiced and wouldn't know the gameplan I assume

Is it possible Justin blackmon gets reinstated? Is he worth a bench spot? In my eyes he is just as good as Gordon maybe a little less but its just a matter of time before Bottles takes over and then Blackmon will actually have a solid qb.

Is it possible Justin blackmon gets reinstated? Is he worth a bench spot? In my eyes he is just as good as Gordon maybe a little less but its just a matter of time before Bottles takes over and then Blackmon will actually have a solid qb.
No, he has an arrest or 2 on top of his drug suspension. Just my 2 cents though, u never know.

So Welker is eligible to play and he's cleared concussion-wise.......didn't practice all week. Im thinking he plays with a chip on his shoulder this week.

No, he has an arrest or 2 on top of his drug suspension. Just my 2 cents though, u never know.
Does anyone know if blackmon was one of the 20 that had their suspension reduced?

Before all this, I think Blackmon could apply for reinstatement at Week 9. Weren't some of his issues alcohol related, and if so, not necessarily impacted by the new agreement with THC and HGH?

Users who are viewing this thread