What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL viewership off 11% YOY (1 Viewer)

To take this thread in a non political direction, has anyone else noticed the slow but steady narrative change of the NFL over the past 20 years where a game that featured horrendous coverage, tackling and lack of pressure on the QB was considered a great game because the offenses moved the ball at will like in Arena?

I sometimes miss the defensive side of the sport being integral to the game being considered "great".
I think this is what the league and the general public prefer, but I agree that there was only quality football on display on the O side of the ball.  

Nobody wants that low scoring soccer and hockey type b.s.  ;)

To take this thread in a non political direction, has anyone else noticed the slow but steady narrative change of the NFL over the past 20 years where a game that featured horrendous coverage, tackling and lack of pressure on the QB was considered a great game because the offenses moved the ball at will like in Arena?

I sometimes miss the defensive side of the sport being integral to the game being considered "great".
I find that when offense is too easy the game just loses a lot of soul.

One punt. 

Not really a good game but I guess what we saw last night is what they want when they put in all the rules that hinder defense. 

I think most outside of the Boston area think it was a great game because the Patriots lost.

I think most outside of the Boston area think it was a great game because the Patriots lost.
I was more referring to the commentators during the game before the out come was decided.  They barely mentioned how useless the defenses were, and just lauded the offenses ease of play.   Obviously this is done because it is the story the NFL wishes to display.

I just hope it does not go too far. 

shadyridr said:
 The NFL rejected an ad for veterans but approved one for scientology. 
Just a few years ago the league could do no wrong. Literally every decision was gold. Starting to be the opposite now. How could they be so out of touch with the core of their fan base?

Just a few years ago the league could do no wrong. Literally every decision was gold. Starting to be the opposite now. How could they be so out of touch with the core of their fan base?
Wasn't it just as ad in the game programs?

I was more referring to the commentators during the game before the out come was decided.  They barely mentioned how useless the defenses were, and just lauded the offenses ease of play.   Obviously this is done because it is the story the NFL wishes to display.

Their jobs are to keep people interested in a game. I have seen much worst where they tried to spin it in some way as interesting.

This is getting over blown.  The Eagles played great defense their last two games.  This was a game where both offenses are incredibly deep at RB and WR.

RB -  Clement 100 Rec, Blount 90 yds rushing, Ajayi 9-57 rushing
WR - Jeffrey, Agholor, Ertz, T.Smith are all quality.

RB - White, Lewis and Burkhead
WR - Cooks, Gronk, Hogan, Amendola

When you have this much talent, there is always something the D has to give up and Brady and Foles did a great job all night of finding that.

I found it very odd that NE RB's caught only 3 passes and D.Lewis was not targeted once when that's usually a huge part of the NE game, especially when behind.

This is getting over blown.  The Eagles played great defense their last two games.  This was a game where both offenses are incredibly deep at RB and WR.

RB -  Clement 100 Rec, Blount 90 yds rushing, Ajayi 9-57 rushing
WR - Jeffrey, Agholor, Ertz, T.Smith are all quality.

RB - White, Lewis and Burkhead
WR - Cooks, Gronk, Hogan, Amendola

When you have this much talent, there is always something the D has to give up and Brady and Foles did a great job all night of finding that.

I found it very odd that NE RB's caught only 3 passes and D.Lewis was not targeted once when that's usually a huge part of the NE game, especially when behind.
The Eagles are more talented than the Patriots.  The reason the Patriots do so well is because of Brady, Gronk and Bill.  Hogan and Amendola are cast offs from other teams and most likely would not be near as good on any other teams.

The Patriots D did not play well at all and was very thin at CB.  The Eagles D played decent and actually put some good pressure on Brady throughout the game.  It was a very entertaining game.

This is getting over blown. .
I agree with your post but I am not talking about just 1 game.  I am talking about a pattern going back two decades in where the league has bent over backwards to favor offense both in the rules and in the narrative of the game calls.

For me, something has been lost.  But the league is still doing relatively great so I feel like this trend is going to continue until almost every game becomes like Arena.

To be clear though, nothing I said here provides any big reason why viewers are dropping.  There are many many other items that come well before my concerns.

The Eagles are more talented than the Patriots.  The reason the Patriots do so well is because of Brady, Gronk and Bill.  Hogan and Amendola are cast offs from other teams and most likely would not be near as good on any other teams.

The Patriots D did not play well at all and was very thin at CB.  The Eagles D played decent and actually put some good pressure on Brady throughout the game.  It was a very entertaining game.
I agree...  Brady makes those players a lot better.  It's also amazing how wide open Hogan and Amendola were all night.   The running game was much better for Philly also, which is why I bet on them.  Best running and defensive teams usually with the SB.

I agree...  Brady makes those players a lot better.  It's also amazing how wide open Hogan and Amendola were all night.   The running game was much better for Philly also, which is why I bet on them.  Best running and defensive teams usually with the SB.
I noticed that almost every time Brady hit a guy wide open he was under pressure and was able to get the ball off just in time.  I think a couple plays were from Brady taking advantage of a blitz.

I agree with your post but I am not talking about just 1 game.  I am talking about a pattern going back two decades in where the league has bent over backwards to favor offense both in the rules and in the narrative of the game calls.

For me, something has been lost.  But the league is still doing relatively great so I feel like this trend is going to continue until almost every game becomes like Arena.

To be clear though, nothing I said here provides any big reason why viewers are dropping.  There are many many other items that come well before my concerns.
I agree with this. They almost have to because the players are bigger, faster and more talented than 20 years ago.  This kind of explains why the below average QB's are now getting destroyed and look so horrible.

Chadstroma said:
Hawkeye21 said:
You're telling me that you can talk about the flag or military without any politics getting involved?  Why are people boycotting the NFL because of politics getting involved if the flag and military have nothing to do with politics?  Why is Trump using it towards his own agenda?  It's all politicized.
They, by themselves, are not political. It is only political when someone makes it political.

It has been the accepted normal level of decency to stand for the anthem for as long as I have been alive. I remember the very first baseball game I went to as a kid at Dodger stadium and they play the anthem. Everyone stood up. I don't know the long history of it all but it has never been political to have the anthem play at a sports game and that everyone stands in respect for the nation and by extension our military.

It has only been the last couple of years that it has become "political". Why? Because some schmoe millionaire decided he would kneel and when asked why he said it was "blah blah politics blah blah" and then that caused a bunch of people to get angry and in response more schmoe millionaires did the same in solidary with the first schmoe millionaires which really pissed those people off more. Now you have people on one side who are always inclined to poo on things like national pride and our military standing up saying it is about free speech (while they simultaneously attempt to squash free speech as much as they can when they don't like it) and then you have a lot of people who take things like national pride and respect for our military upset. They in turn say you want to boycott the anthem and poo on my deeply held feelings of respect? Well, Mr schmoe millionaire, I will not support you or the organization that pays you those millions. And NOW it is political.

There ARE other reasons for decline in viewership but there is no doubt that this is the driving number one reason for the sharp decline.
I think you missed the part where, after one schmoe decided to kneel, the President said the "son of a #####" who knelt should be fired, and then in response more schmoes did the same in solidarity. 

If Trump doesn't make that statement, only the one schmoe kneels (and maybe a few others were doing it routinely?) and nobody really cares. 

Official numbers have a total of 106 million people watching (TV and streaming) down from 111 million in change the past two years.  

Official numbers have a total of 106 million people watching (TV and streaming) down from 111 million in change the past two years.  

It has happened then.  So any word on what day the NFL will be closing its doors?  Are we talking today, or will the secretaries and marketing guys at least have a chance to get in and clean out their desks before the sheriffs start padlocking the doors?

I think you missed the part where, after one schmoe decided to kneel, the President said the "son of a #####" who knelt should be fired, and then in response more schmoes did the same in solidarity. 

If Trump doesn't make that statement, only the one schmoe kneels (and maybe a few others were doing it routinely?) and nobody really cares. 
More schmoes already were kneeling before the schmoe in the White House yapped about it. That just threw an IED on top of a fire that other people had already thrown gas on.

Downgraded again to worst SB ratings in nine years, down to 103.4m viewers.
On top of all the stuff discussed in this thread, I think there was a factor of Patriot fatigue here.

For myself and a lot of people I talked to- the only interest they had in the game was that hopefully the Eagles would beat the Patriots but that interest was only half there. Even with it being a much smaller market, I think we would have seen a bit higher ratings if the Jags had beaten the Patriots as they should have.

Offense sells tickets - at least so the theory goes;

If you don't limit defenses, QB's and WR and RB's will get lit up and then we will all hear about how dangerous and barbaric the sport is;

So why are we surprised the offenses have an advantage now?

Downgraded again to worst SB ratings in nine years, down to 103.4m viewers.

Meanwhile, the Puppy Bowl scored its highest ratings ever, up 17% from the previous record. it beat last year's broadcast by 24% and was up 39% among men-25-54, 26% with women 25-54, 22% in adults 18-49 and 15% among women 18-49.
Because they let those puppies play defense.

But on a serious note it’s not surprising how low rated this SB was with two of the most hated teams in the league facing off. If Manny and JAX , or at least one, were in it I bet we we would have seen some the highest ratings in recent years.

From what I understand they still use Nielsen ratings which haven’t been relevant for nearly two decades now. There are so many options out there to watch. I watched on the Zubo TV app. I doubt that factored in to the ratings. These days for the price of the most basic cable packages I can watch 2-3 sporting events a month at the local bar.

They really need a better way of measuring viewership.

no one is surprised.  I think instead we are talking about how the league feels different in the more offensive form to some but not all fans.
I hear you. It used to be defense wins championships.   Look at the final 8 teams, the defenses for some of those teams were good, compared to the rest of the league, but offenses clearly carried the day.

Their jobs are to keep people interested in a game. I have seen much worst where they tried to spin it in some way as interesting.

My favorite part was when Collinsworth was describing how good the game was by comparing it favorably with the freaking halftime show.

I hear you. It used to be defense wins championships.   Look at the final 8 teams, the defenses for some of those teams were good, compared to the rest of the league, but offenses clearly carried the day.
Better running game and defense won the championship.  In the Super Bowl.  But not overall (Jags). QBs still matter, herro NE.

I think the coach matters as much or more than the QB. 

Assuming a minimum level of QB play. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was a great game because it was entertaining.  It doesn't always have to be from perfect play, especially when that many casual fans are watching the game.  Last year's SB was considered to be pretty great by many but it really wasn't a good game at all.

On top of all the stuff discussed in this thread, I think there was a factor of Patriot fatigue here.

For myself and a lot of people I talked to- the only interest they had in the game was that hopefully the Eagles would beat the Patriots but that interest was only half there. Even with it being a much smaller market, I think we would have seen a bit higher ratings if the Jags had beaten the Patriots as they should have.
The worst thing that could have happened was the Patriots not making the SB.  The Jags against the Eagles/Vikings would have had much lower numbers nationally.  I agree that many are tired of the Patriots and they watched to see the Patriots get beat.  I know a lot of football fans that were not interested in the match up at all.  It just didn't have that national appeal.  Maybe if it had a west coast team in it.

Just for the record, I did not watch any of the game because:

1.  I can't stand either team; no rooting interest whatsoever

2.  Even if I could get by that, the stoppages for review are maddening; no reason to put myself through it

Hawkeye21 said:
I think it was a great game because it was entertaining.  It doesn't always have to be from perfect play, especially when that many casual fans are watching the game.  Last year's SB was considered to be pretty great by many but it really wasn't a good game at all.

The worst thing that could have happened was the Patriots not making the SB.  The Jags against the Eagles/Vikings would have had much lower numbers nationally.  I agree that many are tired of the Patriots and they watched to see the Patriots get beat.  I know a lot of football fans that were not interested in the match up at all.  It just didn't have that national appeal.  Maybe if it had a west coast team in it.
The numbers were going to decline no matter who was in the SB.  Many of the people that I know that did not watch the SB are tired of the Patriots.  

My friends that quit watching or barely watch the NFL don't like the game any longer.   They feel like the NFL is not as entertaining as it once was and choose to do other stuff.   

Maybe football is just running its normal course and its slow pace of action isn't appealing to the nation's yoot. The time element is something that could actually be improved -- if big time football wasn't so goldarned intent on working in as many commercials as humanly possible. 

Just for the record, I did not watch any of the game because:

1.  I can't stand either team; no rooting interest whatsoever

2.  Even if I could get by that, the stoppages for review are maddening; no reason to put myself through it

THIS!    The stoppages just kill the flow of the game.   YES!!!!!!! WE SCORED A TD!!!!!!  Or, did we?   Let's review.   ugh.   

YES!!! WHAT A CATCH.  Or, did he control it?  Let's review...ugh

YES!!! HE CROSSED THE GOAL LINE A TD!!!!!!!   Did he control the ball all the way to the locker room?  Let's review...ugh

Yeah it is silly 

If you had a lot of dough on a game though wouldn’t you be pissed if they got the call wrong? 

Every call is scrutinized so much now and gets amplified in the Super Bowl. 

I would guarantee Don Denkinger wished they could’ve gotten that WS call right with replay. 

If you had a lot of dough on a game though wouldn’t you be pissed if they got the call wrong? 

Every call is scrutinized so much now and gets amplified in the Super Bowl. 

I would guarantee Don Denkinger wished they could’ve gotten that WS call right with replay. 
Then football better figure out how to do it fast and right. The next gen isn't waiting around for the play to go to the supreme court; it isn't even going to wait through a commercial break.

The Super Bowl was only about 4 hours long...  I am sure they want to make sure it's under 3:45 long next year.
:wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Super Bowl was only about 4 hours long...  I am sure they want to make sure it's under 3:45 long next year.
:wall:
No, they want to make it four and a half hours long (this applies to every game, really) because what the NFL really is is a commercial-selling machine. That may work on you old guys with no place to go and all day to get there but not on hep young viewers like me.

The numbers were going to decline no matter who was in the SB.  Many of the people that I know that did not watch the SB are tired of the Patriots.  

My friends that quit watching or barely watch the NFL don't like the game any longer.   They feel like the NFL is not as entertaining as it once was and choose to do other stuff.   
I won't argue that.  I think the numbers would not have been as bad if, say, the Cowboys were playing.  I think the numbers would have been worse if the Patriots were not playing and it was the Jags against the Vikings or something like that.  Regardless, the numbers were going to be down from their record numbers.

Imagine getting knocked out of the playoffs because the refs missed something that is blatantly clear to you in your living room. It's happened to me, and 20+ years later, I'm still bitter about it. 

I can't believe any football fan is going to argue "I'm OK with my team losing out on a championship because it would have taken some middle aged weekend part-timer an extra 45 seconds to jog to the sidelines to be told what he missed".

You ask any fan if they'd sit through 2 Chevy commercials if it meant his team would advance to the next round of the playoffs, and I'm sure they'd take that deal.

You people whining "I don't know whether or not to cheer after my team scores, this is terrible" make no friggin sense to me.  Try losing out on a four month run through the regular season, then getting into the playoffs, then getting bounced out on a blind ref missing an obvious call on the last play of the game, then get back to me.
So you'd rather micro-manage the entire game to make sure everything is absolutely perfect?  That will kill the sport more than anything.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Imagine getting knocked out of the playoffs because the refs missed something that is blatantly clear to you in your living room. It's happened to me, and 20+ years later, I'm still bitter about it. 
Except they #### it up, even with replay.  Kelvin Benjamin absolutely caught that TD against the Patriots, and the officials got the call right on the field.  The league office intervened to get the call wrong in New York.

So you'd rather micro-manage the entire game to make sure everything is absolutely perfect?  That will kill the sport more than anything.
I think they've already reached the tipping point there and need to back up. I hate slippery-slope arguments, but I'm gonna use it here. Let's just review every play - let's check for holding, illegal formation, false starts, etc.....and have a 6 hour game.

Simplify the catch rule. We are not at a point where we can make a science out of it and it's often not worth the viewing cost when we might/can/should.  I'm ok with not agreeing with an on-field ruling if it goes against the team I'm rooting for - as long as it LOOKS like the rule. They are trying to split atoms with a sledgehammer.

Users who are viewing this thread