What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Fun League (1 Viewer)

Sweetness_34

Footballguy
Celebrations curbed

Players may no longer celebrate touchdowns by using the football as a prop, as Carolina receiver Steve Smith did in pretending to change a baby's diaper and burp it, under a Competition Committee proposal that will be voted on this week.

Also under consideration is a 15-yard, unsportsmanlike penalty for any celebrations while on the ground, such as snow angels or situps.

===============================================

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Last edited by a moderator:
This one dissapoints me. Celebrations is one of the best entertainments NFL has to offer. For the owners to even discuss it dissapoints me!

I am always having fun with what Chad, T.O., and others will do next. It's one of the best features NFL has to offer!

Owners take my advice. Stay away from this one! LET IT GO!

Finally. Cut the BS out of the NFL and the media will have little to complain about it in the end. Cutting celebrations is a good start. This, if this passes, is a good rule. Get back to be professionals.

Finally. Cut the BS out of the NFL and the media will have little to complain about it in the end. Cutting celebrations is a good start. This, if this passes, is a good rule. Get back to be professionals.
German?

:goodposting: Celebrations are so tired. If I wanted to see someone dance or strut, I would just go get a copy of Strictly Ballroom or Footloose. Who in their right mind would think Chad Johnson putting a diaper on a football was a form of entertainment anyway?

This needs to be cut down. High School players start to do this and it causes on the field fights.

We need the NFL to be role models to these players and show them class.

:goodposting:

Finally.  Cut the BS out of the NFL and the media will have little to complain about it in the end.  Cutting celebrations is a good start.  This, if this passes, is a good rule.  Get back to be professionals.
Absoulutely 100% ON THE MONEY.... :goodposting:
For God's sake, do we really need endzone celebrations to be entertained?? What about the beauty/entertainment/artistry/dazzle of the ACTUAL PLAY? And then hand the friggin' ball off to an official and act like ya been there? Rock solid move imo if it passes, and we can get back to appreciating the players like Fitzgerald, Shaun Alexander, Barry Sanders who make brilliant plays and expect to do it again without needing the whole world to know how wonderful they are.

Finally.  Cut the BS out of the NFL and the media will have little to complain about it in the end.  Cutting celebrations is a good start.  This, if this passes, is a good rule.  Get back to be professionals.
Absoulutely 100% ON THE MONEY.... :goodposting:
For God's sake, do we really need endzone celebrations to be entertained?? What about the beauty/entertainment/artistry/dazzle of the ACTUAL PLAY? And then hand the friggin' ball off to an official and act like ya been there? Rock solid move imo if it passes, and we can get back to appreciating the players like Fitzgerald, Shaun Alexander, Barry Sanders who make brilliant plays and expect to do it again without needing the whole world to know how wonderful they are.
I completely agree with everyone who wants to get rid of this unsportsmanlike garbage. It's not entertaining at all, in my opinion. It's just acting like an #######.

Celebrations curbed

Players may no longer celebrate touchdowns by using the football as a prop, as Carolina receiver Steve Smith did in pretending to change a baby's diaper and burp it, under a Competition Committee proposal that will be voted on this week.

Also under consideration is a 15-yard, unsportsmanlike penalty for any celebrations while on the ground, such as snow angels or situps.

This is a good start. One can only hope they will next target the Lambeau Leap and spiking the ball.

Just hand the ball to the ref and act like you've been to the end zone before. For good measure, they should suspend anyone 1 game for celebrating a tackle if their team is behind, or the guy that was just tackled gained more than 3.9 yards. :sarcasm:

It's pretty pathetic seeing some fat DL throwing his arms around and dancing after the guy he just tackled gained 10 yards.

This is a good start. One can only hope they will next target the Lambeau Leap
They won't have to when some deranged fan stabs a player in the back. I'm pretty sure players would stop on their own.

Props to the NFL. All the celebration does is make it a me, me, me, thing in a team game. Yes, there are great individual plays. Let them stand on their own, without having some rooster strut around like he just laid the egg.

German?
:goodposting: Perhaps the funniest, most insightful, post in a long time...Brevity is the soul of wit...whoever said that was dead on.

Thje rest of you pull the stick out of your hindquarters and relax a bit...it's not the decline and fall of the American civilization, it's a freakin' dance with a football. :rolleyes:

German?
:goodposting: Perhaps the funniest, most insightful, post in a long time...Brevity is the soul of wit...whoever said that was dead on.

Thje rest of you pull the stick out of your hindquarters and relax a bit...it's not the decline and fall of the American civilization, it's a freakin' dance with a football. :rolleyes:
Yes, and when that dance equates to tv time via ESPN and or "highlight" reels then the players see themselves as less of a teammate and more of a commodity. Thus, making the player larger than the team. And, furthermore continuing the decline of the NFL as a profession and more of a circus. Does every player celebrate with a dance? No, but at the same time people, such as yourself, would rather see a dance then a well played game... so it appears. Take the dance out of the game and the product becomes better.

:goodposting: Celebrations are so tired. If I wanted to see someone dance or strut, I would just go get a copy of Strictly Ballroom or Footloose. Who in their right mind would think Chad Johnson putting a diaper on a football was a form of entertainment anyway?
:goodposting: If this is "the best part of the NFL" for you then IMO you are not a football fan.

Barry Sanders had the best celebration the league ever saw.

German?

Yes, and when that dance equates to tv time via ESPN and or "highlight" reels then the players see themselves as less of a teammate and more of a commodity. Thus, making the player larger than the team. And, furthermore continuing the decline of the NFL as a profession and more of a circus. Does every player celebrate with a dance? No, but at the same time people, such as yourself, would rather see a dance then a well played game... so it appears. Take the dance out of the game and the product becomes better.
Sheesh. Lighten up. Other than one notable exception (T.O.) I defy you to name one player that does endzone celebrations that has become a distraction to the team. Whether the celebrations detract or add to the experience is a matter of opinion, but from my point of view, these celebrations pump up the crowd and get them even more in the game, which adds to sport, not take away from it.

German?

Sheesh. Lighten up. Other than one notable exception (T.O.) I defy you to name one player that does endzone celebrations that has become a distraction to the team. Whether the celebrations detract or add to the experience is a matter of opinion, but from my point of view, these celebrations pump up the crowd and get them even more in the game, which adds to sport, not take away from it.
The play itself is what makes it exciting and pumps up the crowd....Are you saying you aren't pumped until you see the celebrations?

Its kind of funny how the thread starts out pro celebration, then apost against, then shifts to anti-celebration. I enjoy the game first and foremost, but am capable of enjoying the celebrations too...and do. It's as simple as that.

I hate the excessive celebrations/dance/performances in the endzone, I just wish they didn't have to be legislated out.

I 'm all for genuine impromptu excitement after a TD; spike the ball, hug a teammate or jump around. I just hate it when a player, usually a WR, runs away from his teammates so he can perform some predetermined moronic dance which is more about "look at me!" then about "I'm so happy we scoring a TD!".

Yes I completely agree. Finally this is going to happen. Personally I won't be happy until every single player and coach behaves and reacts to plays exactly the same way. And that goes for society too. One more idiot fan cheering or jumping up and down celebrating a play he/she had absolutely NOTHING to do with should be penalized in some way...possibly a fine or even a short stint picking up trash along the freeway would be appropriate.

I would also take this one step further and say that all nfl teams should stop with the ridiculous overly flashy color schemes and scary nicknames like Bears, Broncos and Rams...these are obviously cheap attempts at 'taunting' the opposing teams or even hurting someones feelings. All teams should simply be numbered 1-32. No more smiling...no more high fives... and please stop with the ridiculous gatorade bath after winning any game of importance. Someone could catch their death of cold for goodness sakes.

Fun has aboslutely NO PLACE in sports. Its a total disrespect to the Empire...err I mean our great nation and the hard working people in it.

Thank you for your time.

Food for thought, I heard this morning that the curbing of celebrations was a suggestion to the competition committee from the players union...

Just hand the ball to the ref and act like you've been to the end zone before. For good measure, they should suspend anyone 1 game for celebrating a tackle if their team is behind, or the guy that was just tackled gained more than 3.9 yards. :sarcasm:

It's pretty pathetic seeing some fat DL throwing his arms around and dancing after the guy he just tackled gained 10 yards.
Best post in this thread!!! :goodposting:

Didn't realize we had a bunch of NFFBG's in here. Lame. It's a sport. The celebrations are entertaining.

Didn't realize we had a bunch of NFFBG's in here. Lame. It's a sport. The celebrations are entertaining.
As long as they don't take a real long time and slow down the pace of the game I'm fine with them.

:goodposting: As one of the greats once said:

"Act like you've been there before"

:thumbup:

I hate the excessive celebrations/dance/performances in the endzone, I just wish they didn't have to be legislated out.

I 'm all for genuine impromptu excitement after a TD; spike the ball, hug a teammate or jump around. I just hate it when a player, usually a WR, runs away from his teammates so he can perform some predetermined moronic dance which is more about "look at me!" then about "I'm so happy we scoring a TD!".
:goodposting: Celebrate with your Team Mates... Spike the ball. jump for joy.. Fine.

But trying to out do what you did or someone else did the previous week is getting old.

Spontaneous Celebration. :thumbup: :excited:

Planned celebrations, such as Johnson and Owens.. :thumbdown:

German?
I'm sorry could you explain this one.

Celebrations curbed

:thumbup:

Why do we need hot dogging?  What does it contribute to the game?
nothing, but I don't think it takes anything away either.
So it might just be easier to take it out to speed up the game. So we agree? If it doesn't matter either way, just do away with it.

German?

The play itself is what makes it exciting and pumps up the crowd....Are you saying you aren't pumped until you see the celebrations?
Are you serious? Do you object when the defense waves their arms up to try and get the crowd pumped before the opposing offense takes a snap? Anything they can do to get the crowd more engaged is a good thing.

Yes I completely agree. Finally this is going to happen. Personally I won't be happy until every single player and coach behaves and reacts to plays exactly the same way. And that goes for society too. One more idiot fan cheering or jumping up and down celebrating a play he/she had absolutely NOTHING to do with should be penalized in some way...possibly a fine or even a short stint picking up trash along the freeway would be appropriate.

I would also take this one step further and say that all nfl teams should stop with the ridiculous overly flashy color schemes and scary nicknames like Bears, Broncos and Rams...these are obviously cheap attempts at 'taunting' the opposing teams or even hurting someones feelings. All teams should simply be numbered 1-32. No more smiling...no more high fives... and please stop with the ridiculous gatorade bath after winning any game of importance. Someone could catch their death of cold for goodness sakes.

Fun has aboslutely NO PLACE in sports. Its a total disrespect to the Empire...err I mean our great nation and the hard working people in it.

Thank you for your time.
I'd agree with that too.Hasn't this asinine ritual run its course?

Harry Carson did it to Parcells back in the '80s and now after any win of even the slightest significance we wait with baited breath for the Gatorade to flow.

Why do we need hot dogging?  What does it contribute to the game?
nothing, but I don't think it takes anything away either.
So it might just be easier to take it out to speed up the game. So we agree? If it doesn't matter either way, just do away with it.
If this does anything to speed up the game I'd be shocked. The TD celebrations just make the network stay with the game a bit longer after a score before they cut to a commercial.

I can do with the celebrations.
Yup.It's nice to see that the guys show a little emotion after making a big play. Makes them look less like robots out there.

If the NFL is going to rule that they celebrations be cut out, I hope they tell Ray Lewis that he can't dance anymore before the start of the game.

I can do with the celebrations.
Yup.It's nice to see that the guys show a little emotion after making a big play. Makes them look less like robots out there.

If the NFL is going to rule that they celebrations be cut out, I hope they tell Ray Lewis that he can't dance anymore before the start of the game.
I'd love the emotion.But to me showing emotion is spiking that ball and jumping around with your teammates and not pretending to crap or diaper a ball... but that's just me I guess. :unsure:

This one dissapoints me. Celebrations is one of the best entertainments NFL has to offer. For the owners to even discuss it dissapoints me!

I am always having fun with what Chad, T.O., and others will do next. It's one of the best features NFL has to offer!

Owners take my advice. Stay away from this one! LET IT GO!
End zone celebrations rank just below the guy grabbing the tee on the kickoff. There's guys out there paid millions to be at the peak form of athleticism, to make stupendous feats of physical skill and to compete like gladiators for our entertainment and advertising money. And you think a guy making snow angels on the ground is one of the best features? C'mon it's sad. It's one half a step above WWF. And for the last 2 years they've been so prevalent that there's nothing left to do. Some mught be funny, but usually the funniest ones are mocking other stupid celebrations. But wiping a baby's ###? How much lower is it going to go? You scored a TD, celebrate, give praises to your teammates (the 10 other guys that got you in there), spike the ball, throw it into the crowd or give it to a kid int he front row. But don't push your teammates away so the cameras can have a good view of you knocking over the pylon with a putt swing.Vote yes owners. I'd rather see the guys whining about not getting to celebrate than suffer the embarassment of Alexander trying to outdo CJ or SS with some stupid grade school prank. Scoring the TD should be the apex, not what stupid thing you do with the ball afterwards.

Celebrations curbed

Good for the NFL...I still wish that they would change the rule and not make the penalty a dead ball foul and make it part of the play taking away the touchdown...

I wonder if they're going to outlaw those annoying air force flyby's before the start of games too. I mean, those have nothing to do with football, are strictly for entertainment purposes, waste a lot of money, and needlessly slow down the start of the game.

You know, I really don't mind if these players do their little gyrations after a TD. I kinda wish the sports shows wouldn't feel the need to show it on the highlights, but whatever.

My main problem is that these gyrations are no longer limited to TD's. Now, some 4th string WR that I've never heard of (well, I have, and you too probably, you fantasy nerd) goes into disco spasm afeter making a catch on 3rd and 2. THAT is annoying, and I don't care if it's your team, or the opposing team, that's just embarrassing.

So, if this rule cuts down on post hum-drum play histrionics, sign me up.

BTW, players can still dance, spike the ball, dunk it over the crossbar, they just can't do choreographed dance routines. Does it really take away from the game by forcing the players to get their celebration over with in under 2 minutes?

The Steve Smith swashbuckler dance was copied and then repurposed for discos in Eastern Europe with great fanfare by yours' truly. If this ceases in the NFL, I'm going to have to watch more Showtime at the Apollo.

I don't like Showtime at the Apollo. :hot:

I wonder if they're going to outlaw those annoying air force flyby's before the start of games too. I mean, those have nothing to do with football, are strictly for entertainment purposes, waste a lot of money, and needlessly slow down the start of the game.
Waaaaahhhh. Knee jerk overreaction anyone?

You know, I really don't mind if these players do their little gyrations after a TD. I kinda wish the sports shows wouldn't feel the need to show it on the highlights, but whatever.

My main problem is that these gyrations are no longer limited to TD's. Now, some 4th string WR that I've never heard of (well, I have, and you too probably, you fantasy nerd) goes into disco spasm afeter making a catch on 3rd and 2. THAT is annoying, and I don't care if it's your team, or the opposing team, that's just embarrassing.

So, if this rule cuts down on post hum-drum play histrionics, sign me up.

BTW, players can still dance, spike the ball, dunk it over the crossbar, they just can't do choreographed dance routines. Does it really take away from the game by forcing the players to get their celebration over with in under 2 minutes?
Where are all these 2 minute celebrations I'm hearing about? When someone scores a TD, the play clock starts up again and the team has 40 seconds to get to the line and kick the XP or they take a penalty. I haven't seen a real lot of delay of game penalties on XP's, so those celebrations must not be taking a real long time...

Users who are viewing this thread