What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Fun League (2 Viewers)

sports·man·ship ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spôrtsmn-shp, sprts-)

n.

Conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants in sports, especially fair play, courtesy, striving spirit, and grace in losing.

Good for the owners if this passes.
Is it really sportsmanship if the players are forced to act that way?
No, but at least it's proffessional. The NFL doesnt want to let itself go the way of the NBA, where the players are all regarded as thugs.The fact is that most players censor themselves. But there's a few extremely talented idiots that don't. These guys are making highlight reels and standing out. This is fun in the short run, and destructive to the proffessionalism of the game in the long run. The NFL doesnt want these players to become the defacto representation of their product. They are taking steps to preserve the game's integrity for the long run.
This has nothing to do with looking professional, if it did, the NFL would allow coaches to wear suits on the sidelines. A suit is much more professional than a team sweatshirt. I guess since it doesn't promote the league though, that's all that matters...I wonder if the league would fine a group of players who spelled out "NFL.COM" in a group celebration...
Ok, so you dont think the league is trying to keep itself proffessional. What's your theory then? Why is the NFL trying to curtail end-zone celebrations?

Didn't realize we had a bunch of NFFBG's in here. Lame. It's a sport. The celebrations are entertaining.
You find it entertaining to watch Joe Horn talk on a cell phone? Traffic jams and eating out in restaraunts must blow you away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything has to be to the extreme.

If you're not in favor of restricting celebrations, then you are FOR players behaving like complete loons, and showing up the other team.

If you are in favor of restricting celebrations, then you want the players to be automatons, with no personality whatsoever.

Give me a break. Applying the most extreme example to someone's point is why most of these discussions never go anywhere.

" I think the new celebration rule is a good idea...."

"So you're against free speech?"

Lame.
:goodposting: Sad to say, but 75% of the posting on this board has come to this. "If you don't agree with my "opinion", yoiu are wrong and a #$%^&*".

It is almost not worth sifting through the garbage for the good stuff.

Unfortunately, the end zone celebations are only a small part of a much greater issue. The Sports industry in America - everyone from ESPN to the National Media to the announcers that call the games - feed off this innane behavior. You can stop the players from doing it, but you cant stop the media from talking about it. Instead of reading about the celebration that TO did, you'll now read about the fact that TO wasnt allowed to celebrate.

This needs to be cut down.  High School players start to do this and it causes on the field fights.
Not it doesnt. These kinds of celebrations might get you kicked out of a high school game, and at the very least they are automatic unsportsmanlike conduct penalties
I think the whole point is made right here. If it is bad sportsmanship for kids, it is for adults as well. I understand the opinions of those in favor of the celebrations and I didn't have a big problem with them until the last few years with the TO, Moss, Horn, CJ, etc type celebrations where they have some scripted "nothing to do with the game" antics. Show emotion, but don't showboat.

IMHO

Hot off the press

I just heard on the radio that Chad Johnson has commented on this by saying (and I paraphrase - do not have exact quote) something to the effect that:

"No way the NFL cal stop #85 from entertaining himself....no way"

This is gonna get real interesting folks.....like someone mentioned, the players will definitely find a way to circumvent the rule.

:popcorn:

PS: I agree, Sweetness had the best TD celebration EVER.....RIP #34
I agree with CJ... I doubt the NFL can stop #85. After his 1st critical 15 yard penalty, however, I have a hunch Marv Lewis can.

This is such an over-blown issue. The current combination of rules are fine, Delay of Game, Taunting and the league's ability to look at what happened on tape AFTERward and assess fines if someone went over the line.

I'd rather have the refs concentrating on pass interference, holding, down-by-contact and a dozen other JUDGEMENT calls that matter to the game. How can any serious fan, after watching last year's officiating be in favor of any new judgement calls than DON'T affect the game?

People are forgetting the strategy of the endzone celebration.

A ridiculous, and insulting TD celebration, is a great tactic to use to beat the defense later on in the game. After being embarrassed, a CB may not be thinking as clearly, and the same goes for a safety who may be over eager to put a big hit on a player instead of wrapping a player up and taking him to the ground, or if a QB pump fakes to the WR who taunted the defender him earlier, the defender's overeagerness to put a big hit on the reciever may cause him to bite harder and be moved out of position.

It baffles me how many people are against celebrations. Look, acting like an imbecile after making a first down catch when your team is down 21 points is assinine, no question about that. But, if you do that sort of thing you can bet your own teammates are going to police that in a hurry. So what we're really talking about here are whether spontaneity can be quantified.

There's no question that pulling out a cellphone or a sharpie is a premeditated situation and one that probably falls under the current taunting guidelines. But doing some dancing? Playing to the crowd?

I don't understand how fans of this sport, a sport so much born out of emotion and intensity, can really be upset when guys celebrate and showboat? They go hand in hand.

It baffles me how many people are against celebrations. Look, acting like an imbecile after making a first down catch when your team is down 21 points is assinine, no question about that. But, if you do that sort of thing you can bet your own teammates are going to police that in a hurry. So what we're really talking about here are whether spontaneity can be quantified.

There's no question that pulling out a cellphone or a sharpie is a premeditated situation and one that probably falls under the current taunting guidelines. But doing some dancing? Playing to the crowd?

I don't understand how fans of this sport, a sport so much born out of emotion and intensity, can really be upset when guys celebrate and showboat? They go hand in hand.
Have you actually looked at the proposal? From NFL.com:"Players can still spike the ball in the end zone, spin it on the ground, and dunk it over the goal post if they like (and are able to). They also can dance and even leap into the stands."

"The players' association was unanimous in wanting to get this under control," said Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who is co-chairman of the competition committee along with Atlanta Falcons general manager Rich McKay.

I don't see a problem here.

They take away my Lambardi Leap I am gonna be pissed! Why don't they just take away them damn cheerleaders! After all half of them have fake boobs! lol

Can't they see they have the best entertainment sport there is. It's made leaps and bounds over the years. LEAVE IT BE!

If the guys want to make a fool of themselves that is their privilidge. After all they are paid big money to entertain us! LET IT GO FOR GODS SAKES. You don't think I am looking forward to TO slamming the BIG TEXAS STAR? Damn right I am! He's a fool, always been a fool. Always will be a fool. So what? That's entertainment folks and if they want me to pay to see entertainment they better BACK OFF!

Other wise they can shove there direct gameplan package up there ###!

I don't want to pay to see bored strict millionaires always behaving because of stupid rules they have to follow. LET THEM ENTERTAIN US!

They take away my Lambardi Leap I am gonna be pissed! Why don't they just take away them damn cheerleaders! After all half of them have fake boobs! lol
What's wrong with fake boobs?Like I said earlier, one of these days some deranged fan is going to hurt a player jumping into the stands. This is something that could be fixed now. I'm sure there are people out there like the one who stabbed Monica Seles.

Have you actually looked at the proposal? From NFL.com:"Players can still spike the ball in the end zone, spin it on the ground, and dunk it over the goal post if they like (and are able to). They also can dance and even leap into the stands."

"The players' association was unanimous in wanting to get this under control," said Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher, who is co-chairman of the competition committee along with Atlanta Falcons general manager Rich McKay.

Me either.As to this sport being born out of emotion and intensity, those are two things that don't play into these ridiculous displays.

If the choices are no celebration, or over the top antics, I choose the second.

But there are other options, like allowing a player to express emotion, without breaking into Riverdance.

AS to the other point, about turning players off, I am quite sure more fans are turned off by those celebrations, than are entertained by them.

Me either.As to this sport being born out of emotion and intensity, those are two things that don't play into these ridiculous displays.

If the choices are no celebration, or over the top antics, I choose the second first.

But there are other options, like allowing a player to express emotion, without breaking into Riverdance.

AS to the other point, about turning players off, I am quite sure more fans are turned off by those celebrations, than are entertained by them.
:goodposting: I think the above is what you meant.

If you're not in favor of restricting celebrations, then you are FOR players behaving like complete loons, and showing up the other team.

If you are in favor of restricting celebrations, then you want the players to be automatons, with no personality whatsoever.

Give me a break. Applying the most extreme example to someone's point is why most of these discussions never go anywhere.

Lame.
:goodposting: Sad to say, but 75% of the posting on this board has come to this. "If you don't agree with my "opinion", yoiu are wrong and a #$%^&*".

So , in your estimation, the only "good stuff" is the part where you point out that we aren't discussing this matter according to your standards?Thanks, you have been very helpful.

If the choices are no celebration, or over the top antics, I choose the second.

I would be interested in seeing the results of a real statistically significant survey on this matter (a survey that includes all genders, ages, new & old fans, all regions (rural & urban), all states (red & blue)).....

This needs to be cut down.  High School players start to do this and it causes on the field fights.
Not it doesnt. These kinds of celebrations might get you kicked out of a high school game, and at the very least they are automatic unsportsmanlike conduct penalties
I think the whole point is made right here. If it is bad sportsmanship for kids, it is for adults as well.
Oh great, here we go. Yeah, we wouldn't want the kids to learn "bad sportsmanship". 'Cause as a parent I would REALLY look to the NFL - home of Ray Lewis, Ricky Williams, Jamal Lewis, Bill Romanowski - to teach my kids proper values. There's a simple solution to the spillover effect into high school sports --- high school coaches can simply bench players who exhibit this behavior. Maybe, just maybe, NFL coaches could try doing the same thing.

Bottom line: a lot of people on this board really like rules & control. Lighten up. If TO's celebrations upset you too much, then just avert your eyes everytime he scores.

If the choices are no celebration, or over the top antics, I choose the second first.

:goodposting: I think the above is what you meant.
Actually, I didn't. I DON'T want the players to be bunch of quiet, emotionless dweebs. Chad Johnson kills me, I think he's great. And if the NFL is going to err on one side or the other, I'd just as soon keep the staus quo. Let 'em all behave like wrestlers, I don't care. And the funny thing is, I love the league showboats. Chad Johnson is a favorite of mine, I always loved Deion, there were certainly no players that I disliked because of their antics. But can't we enjoy a player showing off, and get annoyed by routines like the Fun Bunch, Gastineau's sack dance, and Joe Horn's phone calls?

My point is that I think there is a happy medium, and the NFL is doing its best to find it. And this measure even goes so far as to state that players can still celebrate. Spike it, dunk it, do the leap, any of this stuff that seems to me to be spontaneous expressions of celebration. Got your own dance there, Merton Hanks? Fine. But if you're gonna start whipping out props, and performing two-act plays, yeah, throw the dang flag. Fine with me.

Sounds pretty good to me. But using this blanket "No Fun League" label to describe this smacks of knee-jerk to me.

Props to the NFL. All the celebration does is make it a me, me, me, thing in a team game. Yes, there are great individual plays. Let them stand on their own, without having some rooster strut around like he just laid the egg.
that sounds like it would hurt a lot

Give me a break.  Applying the most extreme example to someone's point is why most of these discussions never go anywhere.

Lame.

So , in your estimation, the only "good stuff" is the part where you point out that we aren't discussing this matter according to your standards?Thanks, you have been very helpful.
Is that what I said?I have been around here from day 1 and I have seen this board go from being the best place to get and discuss the NFL & fantasy football to a place where you have to wade through all the crap to get a little good input. It has gone from the shark pool to the pissing pool.

The reason I made my comments is to agree with what massraiders said about extremes.

This is all I have to say about it because it doesn't contribute to the "topic" either.

I think the whole point is made right here. If it is bad sportsmanship for kids, it is for adults as well.
Oh great, here we go. Yeah, we wouldn't want the kids to learn "bad sportsmanship". 'Cause as a parent I would REALLY look to the NFL - home of Ray Lewis, Ricky Williams, Jamal Lewis, Bill Romanowski - to teach my kids proper values. There's a simple solution to the spillover effect into high school sports --- high school coaches can simply bench players who exhibit this behavior. Maybe, just maybe, NFL coaches could try doing the same thing.

Bottom line: a lot of people on this board really like rules & control. Lighten up. If TO's celebrations upset you too much, then just avert your eyes everytime he scores.
Actually, the bottom line is that the players Assoc & the NFL think the premeditated showboating is enough of a problem that they want it stopped. It also looks like the majority of posters here agree as well. So, maybe it is you who will have to make the adjustment. May I suggest playing WWF highlights during commercial breaks.

Finally.  Cut the BS out of the NFL and the media will have little to complain about it in the end.  Cutting celebrations is a good start.  This, if this passes, is a good rule.  Get back to be professionals.
German?
:goodposting: Perhaps the funniest, most insightful, post in a long time...Brevity is the soul of wit...whoever said that was dead on.

Thje rest of you pull the stick out of your hindquarters and relax a bit...it's not the decline and fall of the American civilization, it's a freakin' dance with a football. :rolleyes:
Yes, and when that dance equates to tv time via ESPN and or "highlight" reels then the players see themselves as less of a teammate and more of a commodity. Thus, making the player larger than the team. And, furthermore continuing the decline of the NFL as a profession and more of a circus. Does every player celebrate with a dance? No, but at the same time people, such as yourself, would rather see a dance then a well played game... so it appears. Take the dance out of the game and the product becomes better.
Does this include the Lambeau Leap? I guess you just want to work and not bang on the drum all day.

Actually, the bottom line is that the players Assoc & the NFL think the premeditated showboating is enough of a problem that they want it stopped. It also looks like the majority of posters here agree as well. So, maybe it is you who will have to make the adjustment. May I suggest playing WWF highlights during commercial breaks.
Gee, nice to see that you actually processed and considered my post longer than 2 seconds. :rolleyes: I don't personally care for showboating OR WWF. But I also don't like the idea of making every player into a docile little clone....or trying to solve a non-issue by creating more rules.

The NFLPA is just playing along....they're smart enough to see that they should head this off before a bunch of stuffy old guys take more extreme measures....

[Edited to remove any unintended suggestion that this is a racial issue per Sweetness comments]

Give me a break.  Applying the most extreme example to someone's point is why most of these discussions never go anywhere.

Lame.

Is that what I said?I have been around here from day 1 and I have seen this board go from being the best place to get and discuss the NFL & fantasy football to a place where you have to wade through all the crap to get a little good input. It has gone from the shark pool to the pissing pool.

The reason I made my comments is to agree with what massraiders said about extremes.

This is all I have to say about it because it doesn't contribute to the "topic" either.
At first I thought he was being funny, by demonstrating EXACTLY what I was talking about, in the previous post. I guess he wasn't being ironic. Ah well, you can only go as fast as your slowest student.

Gee, nice to see that you actually processed and considered my post longer than 2 seconds. :rolleyes: I don't personally care for showboating OR WWF. But I also don't like the idea of making every player into a docile little clone....or trying to solve a non-issue by creating more rules.

The NFLPA is just playing along....they're smart enough to see that they should head this off before a bunch of stuffy old white guys take more extreme measures....
Do we really need to bring race into this? Come on..... :unsure:

This rule is fine by me.

I love celebrations. What I do not like is self glorification.

Fun bunch=OK

Wiping your butt on the goal post=not ok

Actually not wanting your teammates near you after a score so that you get all the face time=not ok

Just my opinion.

Just a question.......

Spiking the ball allowed, or is that a prop too?

Gee whiz....as long as it is not taunting the other team, I really fail to see a problem with having a creative celebration. I personally enjoy it.

When will smiling after you score cost you 15 yards?

Finally.  Cut the BS out of the NFL and the media will have little to complain about it in the end.  Cutting celebrations is a good start.  This, if this passes, is a good rule.  Get back to be professionals.
German?
I'm sorry could you explain this one.
Genetic condition leading to a lack of humor. I'm a carrier of this gene. When I'm funny its usually because of my last fantasy selection.

Just a question.......

Gee whiz....as long as it is not taunting the other team, I really fail to see a problem with having a creative celebration. I personally enjoy it.

As posted Above:
"Players can still spike the ball in the end zone, spin it on the ground, and dunk it over the goal post if they like (and are able to). They also can dance and even leap into the stands."

Just a question.......

Gee whiz....as long as it is not taunting the other team, I really fail to see a problem with having a creative celebration.  I personally enjoy it.

As posted Above:
"Players can still spike the ball in the end zone, spin it on the ground, and dunk it over the goal post if they like (and are able to). They also can dance and even leap into the stands."
So...If I understand then.You score.

You spin the ball...you then pretend to warm your hand over the ball.

15 yard penalty!!!! :bag: :bag: :bag:

Does anyone else think this is gay?

This needs to be cut down. High School players start to do this and it causes on the field fights.

Did I miss the poll?

#85 was on the ESPN budweiser hot seat and he said now that the NFL competition committee had decided to take some fun away from the league, he was going to schedule a meeting with his competition committee (Steve Smith, TO) to align on what they should do next year and still obey the rules

This guy cracks me up like hell......freaking hilarious

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This rule is fine by me.

I love celebrations. What I do not like is self glorification.

Fun bunch=OK

Wiping your butt on the goal post=not ok

Actually not wanting your teammates near you after a score so that you get all the face time=not ok

Just my opinion.
:goodposting:

So...If I understand then.

You score.

You spin the ball...you then pretend to warm your hand over the ball.

15 yard penalty!!!! :bag: :bag: :bag:

Does anyone else think this is gay?
I agree, pretending to warm your hands over the spinning ball is pretty gay. :)

Heard the interview with Chad Johnson about the new celebration rules this AM on ESPN radio. No, I don't have a link, but here are some choice Chad thoughts as near as I can remeber them:

"Theyre going to name this the Chad rule."

"I don't know what the NFL is thinking. There is a group of fans that don't tune in to watch the games - they tune in to watch the touchdown celebrations. They're going to completely alienate those fans. I don't understand that."

"I'm going to have to create my own competition committee with Keyshawn and T.O. and see what we can create that is within the rules."

Uhhhh, Chad, errr, this is exactly why they created the celebration rule, my friend. You honestly think there are significant numbers of people that tune in just to watch you - and not to watch you play football, but to watch you make an idiot of yourself after scoring a TD. You honestly think that your TD celebrations are bigger than the game itself. Because you think that, there are literally no boundaries that you will not cross to debase yourself & your team in what you think is entertaining - or should we not mention that you wanted & specifically requested that livestock be delivered to the stadium to enhance your "entertainment" value? - the owners decided that they actually had to create a rule to protect both the game & you from yourself.

If there are in fact people who watch solely to see you prance around like a Kansas City ###### (to paraphrase from Blazing Saddles), they already have an outlet. It's called Saturday morning cartoons. Get a grip and go back to what you are best at - playing football.

Heard the interview with Chad Johnson about the new celebration rules this AM on ESPN radio. No, I don't have a link, but here are some choice Chad thoughts as near as I can remeber them:

"Theyre going to name this the Chad rule."

"I don't know what the NFL is thinking. There is a group of fans that don't tune in to watch the games - they tune in to watch the touchdown celebrations. They're going to completely alienate those fans. I don't understand that."

"I'm going to have to create my own competition committee with Keyshawn and T.O. and see what we can create that is within the rules."

Uhhhh, Chad, errr, this is exactly why they created the celebration rule, my friend. You honestly think there are significant numbers of people that tune in just to watch you - and not to watch you play football, but to watch you make an idiot of yourself after scoring a TD. You honestly think that your TD celebrations are bigger than the game itself. Because you think that, there are literally no boundaries that you will not cross to debase yourself & your team in what you think is entertaining - or should we not mention that you wanted specifically requested that livestock be delivered to the stadium to enhance your "entertainment" value? - the owners decided that they actually had to create a rule to protect both the game & you from yourself.

If there are in fact people who watch solely to see you prance around like a Kansas City ###### (to paraphrase from Blazing Saddles), they already have an outlet. It's called Saturday morning cartoons. Get a grip and go back to what you are best at - playing football.
Pretty :goodposting: But I'd change Saturday Morning cartoons to WWE and you'd be set. ;)

"I don't know what the NFL is thinking.  There is a group of fans that don't tune in to watch the games - they tune in to watch the touchdown celebrations.  They're going to completely alienate those fans.  I don't understand that."
This small group of fans probably just watch SportsCenter anyway. Why watch a three hour game if all you care about are the celebrations?I can't believe celebrating TDs is SO improtant to this guy. Someone should tell him his celebrations aren't even all that great.

Whenever I hear Chad Johnson speak I'm left with the impression that he believes cartoons are real.

Whenever I hear Chad Johnson speak I'm left with the impression that he believes cartoons are real.
It's all the Gold in his "grill".*note

You'll understand this better if you watch the show "House" on FOX. ;)

Never really been for or against touchdown celebrations and never thought there would be a day that the league would even have to choose a side. I think the very argument is stupid. If some guy wants to breakdance, dress up like a bunny and eat the football like a carrot, or make love to the football after a TD who freakin cares?!

Some of the stuff is stupid and some is actually sorta entertaining and no I'm not saying its MORE entertaining that the game itself its just entertaining in ADDITION to the game. Kinda like sideline shots of Cowher and Grudens stupid faces. Or the old days when we'd get Jim Mora screaming 'diddly-poo' after every other game. Just interesting asides to the game itself. See the league took away great moments like when T.O. slams the ball on the Dallas star and Emmit comes and does it right back. Nothing wrong with a little tension or possibly a rivalry causing moment.

If the league hadn't been so anal in the first place and just let Deion dance we wouldn't have all these over the top broadway productions in the first place. Now they're just gonna make it worse and everybody here is praising them for their support of sportsmanship. Huh? Sportsmanship is playing the game on the field the way its supposed to be played, clean, hard and with all your heart. And if after you put your blood, sweat, and tears in this game you feel like doing the hustle in the end zone go ahead. And If it hurts some poor ##### bag's feelings on the opposing sideline because he feels he is being 'taunted' then that guy needs an extended session with Dr. Phil not a hug from the NFL and a new 'make-it-all-better' rule.

You guys are all starting to sound like that preacher in footloose...for god's sake let the kids dance. And while their dancing lets concentrate on rules that actually affect the field of play. When the game is perfect and the guys in stripes are perfect than maybe we can turn our attention to the guy who wants to take his football to the prom after a one yard end zone dive.

Users who are viewing this thread