What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Fun League (1 Viewer)

I wonder if they're going to outlaw those annoying air force flyby's before the start of games too.  I mean, those have nothing to do with football, are strictly for entertainment purposes, waste a lot of money, and needlessly slow down the start of the game.
Waaaaahhhh. Knee jerk overreaction anyone?
Both are entertainment that have nothing to do with the game itself.

You know, I really don't mind if these players do their little gyrations after a TD.  I kinda wish the sports shows wouldn't feel the need to show it on the highlights, but whatever.

My main problem is that these gyrations are no longer limited to TD's.  Now, some 4th string WR that I've never heard of (well, I have, and you too probably, you fantasy nerd) goes into disco spasm afeter making a catch on 3rd and 2.  THAT is annoying, and I don't care if it's your team, or the opposing team, that's just embarrassing.

So, if this rule cuts down on post hum-drum play histrionics, sign me up.

BTW, players can still dance, spike the ball, dunk it over the crossbar, they just can't do choreographed dance routines.  Does it really take away from the game by forcing the players to get their celebration over with in under 2 minutes?
Where are all these 2 minute celebrations I'm hearing about? When someone scores a TD, the play clock starts up again and the team has 40 seconds to get to the line and kick the XP or they take a penalty. I haven't seen a real lot of delay of game penalties on XP's, so those celebrations must not be taking a real long time...
I apologize for my hyperbole. And befoe you ask, as far as I know, no player has ever actually gone into "disco spasm".Way to miss the entire point of my post.

You know, I really don't mind if these players do their little gyrations after a TD.  I kinda wish the sports shows wouldn't feel the need to show it on the highlights, but whatever.

My main problem is that these gyrations are no longer limited to TD's.   Now, some 4th string WR that I've never heard of (well, I have, and you too probably, you fantasy nerd) goes into disco spasm afeter making a catch on 3rd and 2.  THAT is annoying, and I don't care if it's your team, or the opposing team, that's just embarrassing.

BTW, players can still dance, spike the ball, dunk it over the crossbar, they just can't do choreographed dance routines.  Does it really take away from the game by forcing the players to get their celebration over with in under 2 minutes?
Where are all these 2 minute celebrations I'm hearing about? When someone scores a TD, the play clock starts up again and the team has 40 seconds to get to the line and kick the XP or they take a penalty. I haven't seen a real lot of delay of game penalties on XP's, so those celebrations must not be taking a real long time...
I apologize for my hyperbole. And befoe you ask, as far as I know, no player has ever actually gone into "disco spasm".Way to miss the entire point of my post.
In principle I agree with you, but making another lame rule about it isn't the way this should be done. If the NFL really wants to put some class back into things let teams handle it themselves.To me this is more about the NFL trying to control everything and make the game look like a bunch of robots wearing officially licensed NFL apparel (come and buy them and shopnfl.com).

sports·man·ship ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spôrtsmn-shp, sprts-)

n.

Conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants in sports, especially fair play, courtesy, striving spirit, and grace in losing.

Good for the owners if this passes.

n.

Conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants in sports, especially fair play, courtesy, striving spirit, and grace in losing.

Is it really sportsmanship if the players are forced to act that way?

maybe it's just me, but I love most of TO and Chad Johnson's celebrations. there was only one TO celebration that i thought was over the top (the Dallas one), but everything else was funny as hell (Sharpie, Pom-Poms, imitating Ray Lewis, etc). Most of Chad Johnson's stuff is also pretty funny to me.

It's just a game..don't see the big deal.

I dont know this seems like overkill to me. I mean really we all ##### and moan when government wants to take control of our ability to have free speech and crap like that but seriously, its a game and players get excited.

I mean how do you draw the line in what is a celebration? A Ray Lewis Sack vs a #85 Touchdown celebration? Both could be considered excessive if you were to argue it. Even a QB rushing to the endzone to tackle the WR that made the touchdown catch could be considered excessive.

To me it just seems like "big brother" is trying to add yet another RULE and it really doesnt need to be there.

It just seems to me that a rule like this would be too hard to define. They would have to have wording in there that would state you could only slap 5 high fives after a sack, and only jump around for 3 seconds but no waving your arms in the air like you just dont care :D

Part of being a professional is facing the music...don't want someone to dance in your endzone?

Don't let him get in there in the first place.

Finally.  Cut the BS out of the NFL and the media will have little to complain about it in the end.  Cutting celebrations is a good start.  This, if this passes, is a good rule.  Get back to be professionals.
German?
I'm sorry could you explain this one.
Admiration for a no nonsense way of conduct?Since they are advertising themselves, maybe the NFL could fine the player the going rate for advertising each time the celebration is shown.

And then the team fine for whatever the team feels the celebration cost them.

I usually don't notice the celebrations until the highlights. It might be more entertaining to see the great plays that week and the celebrations with money the clown will paying for it flashing underneath.

Bad team clowns celebrating wouldn't have to pay as much.

Who would begrudge the Packers at 2-8 celebrating first downs like touchdowns?

If the players antics are so damn entertaining I suggest Smith, Johnson, T.O. and the like start their own cable dance shows and even book arenas to market a dance tour. They could call it the Media Whores Review.

Me, I want to watch football, not some lame attempt to draw attention to oneself. The defenders of this make me laugh. Are you really entertained by bad dance and pantomime. If so, perhaps you should hang in parks and squares and watch mimes perform while the rest of us watch football on sundays.

In the end its a minor issue. Just more pandering to the increasingly puerile attitudes of the metrosexual gen Xers. The NFL should simply handle the matter by starting the play clock from the time the player crosses the goal line. They should insist that the point after team not be allowed to cross inside the twenty until the ball is spotted, and the only ball they should spot should be the one that crossed the goal line. They should just insist that officials will not retrieve the ball, but that the player must bring it to the official. If the clock runs out it's a five yard penalty for delay of game accessed both on the P.A.T. and on the ensuing kick.

As for Defensive players celebrating on the field both the play clock and the game clock should be stopped until the next snap.

Problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:

My main problem is that these gyrations are no longer limited to TD's.   Now, some 4th string WR that I've never heard of (well, I have, and you too probably, you fantasy nerd) goes into disco spasm afeter making a catch on 3rd and 2.  THAT is annoying, and I don't care if it's your team, or the opposing team, that's just embarrassing.

In principle I agree with you, but making another lame rule about it isn't the way this should be done. If the NFL really wants to put some class back into things let teams handle it themselves.
What's the difference if teams enforce it, or if they empower the league to?

Maybe its been posted, I don't know, I didn't read the whole thread, but I like the idea of having a time limit on celebrations.

The scrorer has 10 or 15 seconds to celebrate in any manner (as long as its tasteful). This would keep from delaying the play of the game, but also allow for the entertainment of the TD celebration.

Yes I completely agree. Finally this is going to happen. Personally I won't be happy until every single player and coach behaves and reacts to plays exactly the same way. And that goes for society too. One more idiot fan cheering or jumping up and down celebrating a play he/she had absolutely NOTHING to do with should be penalized in some way...possibly a fine or even a short stint picking up trash along the freeway would be appropriate.

I would also take this one step further and say that all nfl teams should stop with the ridiculous overly flashy color schemes and scary nicknames like Bears, Broncos and Rams...these are obviously cheap attempts at 'taunting' the opposing teams or even hurting someones feelings. All teams should simply be numbered 1-32. No more smiling...no more high fives... and please stop with the ridiculous gatorade bath after winning any game of importance. Someone could catch their death of cold for goodness sakes.

Fun has aboslutely NO PLACE in sports. Its a total disrespect to the Empire...err I mean our great nation and the hard working people in it.

Thank you for your time.
:goodposting: Sometimes the NFL is a joke and takes itself much too seriously.

It's a freaking game for crying out loud.

We can't have a one sheep stand out, because hey, that would startle the herd.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the players antics are so damn entertaining I suggest Smith, Johnson, T.O. and the like start their own cable dance shows and even book areanas to market a dance tour. They could call it the Media Whores Review.

Me, I want to watch football, not some lame attempt to draw attention to oneself. The defenders of this make me laugh. Are you really entertained by bad dance and pantomime. If so perhaps you should hang in parks and squares and watch mimes perform while the rest of us watch football on sundays.

In the end its a minor issue. Just more pandering to the increasingly puerile attitudes of the metrosexual gen Xers. The NFL should simply handle the matter by starting the play clock from the time the player crosses the goal line. They should insist that the point after team not be allowed to cross inside the twenty until the ball is spotted, and the only ball they should spot should be the one that crossed the goal line. They should just insist that officials will not retrieve the ball, but that the player must bring it to the official. If the clock runs out it's a five yard penalty for delay of game accessed both on the P.A.T. and on the ensuing kick.

As for Defensive players celbrating on the field both the play clock and the game clock should be stopped until the next snap.

Problem solved.
And in conjunction with your thoughts on the PAT rules, call the too-many-men-in-the-huddle penalty if they don't exit the field fast enough.

In principle I agree with you, but making another lame rule about it isn't the way this should be done. If the NFL really wants to put some class back into things let teams handle it themselves.
Because I don't want an official determining whether Chad Johnson tossing a football up in the air and pretending to shoot it with an imaginary shotgun qualifies as "using the ball as a prop". The more these rules are put into place, the more players will go out of their way to find an innovative celebration to skirt the wording of the rules, forcing the NFL to put more rules in place.As it is, the NFL doesn't allow coaches to wear non-NFL sanctioned apparel on the sidelines. Remember when Mike Nolan wanted to wear a suit on the sidelines a'la Tom Landry and the NFL turned him down, saying he had to wear the high class NFL sweatsuits?

Instead of trying to control everything the league should be realizing that a lot of casual fans watch the games because of those TD celebrations, and because of the individual personalities of the players. That's part of what has made the league such a success. Cracking down on individuality isn't going to improve the league's image, or make it more popular.

I wouldn't be surprised

Instead of trying to control everything the league should be realizing that a lot of casual fans watch the games because of those TD celebrations, and because of the individual personalities of the players. That's part of what has made the league such a success.
Fair enough. I just don't believe this. I really, really don't believe that any fan watches the game FOR the TD celebrations.And I also think that most fans think players go too far with these little routines.

I think the NFL is just tying to save players from looking like fools. TD celebrations have become pathetic.

Instead of trying to control everything the league should be realizing that a lot of casual fans watch the games SportsCenter highlights because of those TD celebrations, and because of the individual personalities of the players. That's part of what has made the league such a success. Cracking down on individuality isn't going to improve the league's image, or make it more popular.
How much would NFL TV ratings drop if there were no longer celebrations? Hint: the answer rhymes with "wero".

Instead of trying to control everything the league should be realizing that a lot of casual fans watch the games SportsCenter highlights because of those TD celebrations, and because of the individual personalities of the players.  That's part of what has made the league such a success.  Cracking down on individuality isn't going to improve the league's image, or make it more popular.
How much would NFL TV ratings drop if there were no longer celebrations? Hint: the answer rhymes with "wero".
I don't know, but if you don't think that a significant portion of the NFL's fanbase enjoys the TD celebrations you're kidding yourself.

Instead of trying to control everything the league should be realizing that a lot of casual fans watch the games SportsCenter highlights because of those TD celebrations, and because of the individual personalities of the players. That's part of what has made the league such a success. Cracking down on individuality isn't going to improve the league's image, or make it more popular.
I don't know, but if you don't think that a significant portion of the NFL's fanbase enjoys the TD celebrations you're kidding yourself.
Put me down for :thumbdown: I watch it for the play on the field..

Not for what some idiot does after the rest of his team helped him score a TD.

This needs to be cut down. High School players start to do this and it causes on the field fights.
Not it doesnt. These kinds of celebrations might get you kicked out of a high school game, and at the very least they are automatic unsportsmanlike conduct penalties

Everyone has a right to an opinion on this subject and most of what has been posted are simply the personal preferences of the poster. This splits into 2 main camps:

1) It's a game, the celebrations are "hot sauce" on the entree and fun to watch so why stop them.

2) It's a profession and class, dignity, sportsmanship and honoring my teamates should trump any such silly celebration.

If I were an owner and had a vote on this subject I would have 2 areas of concern. How it affects the quality of play ON the field and how it affects the perception of our sport OFF the field. Here would be my "owner's glasses" viewpoint:

1) ON the FIELD - There are rules in place to deal with length of time (delay of game). If this is being enforced sufficiently then any celebration held within that framework isn't harming the speed of the game. There are also rules in place to deal with interaction with the other team (taunting). If this rule is being enforced then any celebration that doesn't involve taunting isn't harming the game. Beyond these parameters I see no evidence that on-the-field play is degraded by celebrations. If someone goes overboard we reserve the right to punish the Individual Act and not blanket all players as a whole.

2) OFF the FIELD - I ask myself hypothetical questions: How do celebrations affect diehard fans? My answer is NOT at ALL. No diehard fan will stop participating in our sport because of something Chad Johnson or Steve Smith concocts in a celebration dance. In fact, one could argue that it gives the fans fuel for rivalries that help our sport, not hurt it. How does it affect casual fans? In today's society any media consumer sees far wose acts of crassness than anything they would see in an NFL game. If a casual fan flips over to a game see what a player might do in a celebration he gets exposure to our sport. How is that bad?

To celebrate is not classless or undignified, though it COULD be. It's not automatically unsportsmanlike but it COULD be. It doesn't disrepect my teamates but it COULD. To add more rules on top of rules to deal with COULD when we can't properly make calls on the field during our biggest game of the year, the Super Bowl, is a waste of ownerships time. Let's concentrate on making the game on the field more fair and properly officiated. Also don't forget that what COULD happen is why many people may choose to tune in.

PS: To those of you enamored with the Paul Brown/Bob Trumpy, "Act like you've been there before story", that was EONS ago. Times change, the world evolves. Self expression is growing and will never fade back to those levels. Attempting to legislate behavior doesn't teach class and dignity. If a player wishes to act in that way and gets pointed out for his behavior, then the lesson has context and teeth, it means something. If ALL players are legislated to act that way, it simply becomes a rule based on mindless conformity.

Contrarian opinions are welcome, after all, legislating against opinons would be just as silly as legislating against meaningless celebrations.

This needs to be cut down.  High School players start to do this and it causes on the field fights.
Not it doesnt. These kinds of celebrations might get you kicked out of a high school game, and at the very least they are automatic unsportsmanlike conduct penalties
Yes it does. I have seen several. And then had to throw out both players.And it does get the automatic unsportsmanlike conduct.

Next the coach and players start yelling at the official "TO did that on Sunday without a penalty"

Finally.  Cut the BS out of the NFL and the media will have little to complain about it in the end.  Cutting celebrations is a good start.  This, if this passes, is a good rule.  Get back to be professionals.
German?
Yes, yes I am. Not surprisingly I agree with him. :mellow:

German?
Genetic condition leading to a lack of humor. I'm a carrier of this gene. When I'm funny its usually by accident.

snogger said:
[QUOTE=']
matuski said:
Barry Sanders had the best celebration the league ever saw.
:goodposting:
I maybe wrong but I think he stole learned it from Walter Payton. ;)

[/QUOTE]Fixed, and I'm confident that Mr. Payton learned it from many many players that came before him.

German?
Genetic condition leading to a lack of humor. I'm a carrier of this gene. When I'm funny its usually by accident.
:lmao: Sorry. :mellow:

Contrarian opinions are welcome, after all, legislating against opinons would be just as silly as legislating against meaningless celebrations.
Ok, so what if a contrarian opinion is expressed in - to use the recent hoopla about immigration reform - a "*******" end zone celebration? There's nothing illegal about that, right? Just free expression, right?

Finally. Cut the BS out of the NFL and the media will have little to complain about it in the end. Cutting celebrations is a good start. This, if this passes, is a good rule. Get back to be professionals.
:goodposting: Celebrations are so tired. If I wanted to see someone dance or strut, I would just go get a copy of Strictly Ballroom or Footloose. Who in their right mind would think Chad Johnson putting a diaper on a football was a form of entertainment anyway?
:goodposting: If this is "the best part of the NFL" for you then IMO you are not a football fan.

Barry Sanders had the best celebration the league ever saw.
Just what we need, a bunch of guys like Barry Sanders who don't even like the game of football.

If they do make it a penalty, for those that will miss it, You can always go to The USA Network at 9pm EST on Mondays and catch your fill.

:stirspot:

;)

German?
:lmao: Sorry. :mellow:
It's cool, man. The gene comes packaged with a "I don't give a rip what anyone else thinks" gene too. Nice combo. :thumbup:

Part of being a professional is facing the music...don't want someone to dance in your endzone?

Don't let him get in there in the first place.
:goodposting: There's a collection of people here who needs to realize that it's no longer 1940. Players celebrate, it's fun to watch and it generates interest to the game from borderline fans. Stop being so prude.

If the NFL really wants to put some class back into things let teams handle it themselves.
That is a terrible idea. If they did that, you know very few, if any, teams would enforce it for fear of ticking off their star players. Teams want their star players to be happy and if doing TD celebrations makes them happy, teams are not about to tell them they can't do them.

Ok, so what if a contrarian opinion is expressed in - to use the recent hoopla about immigration reform - a "*******" end zone celebration? There's nothing illegal about that, right? Just free expression, right?
Hey redman, I meant contrarian opinions from other owners, I was still in character, hehehe.As far as your example goes, what would you suggest would represent a "*******" celebration? Maybe 4 players pretending to sit in a car that bounces up and down? Wait that would get flagged for having too many participants. Seriously, the current rules would be fine, if a player went to far he'd get nailed as an Individual, responsible for HIS actions, just like the "free expression" you bring up.

n.

No, but at least it's proffessional. The NFL doesnt want to let itself go the way of the NBA, where the players are all regarded as thugs.The fact is that most players censor themselves. But there's a few extremely talented idiots that don't. These guys are making highlight reels and standing out. This is fun in the short run, and destructive to the proffessionalism of the game in the long run. The NFL doesnt want these players to become the defacto representation of their product. They are taking steps to preserve the game's integrity for the long run.

sports·man·ship    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (spôrtsmn-shp, sprts-)

n.

No, but at least it's proffessional. The NFL doesnt want to let itself go the way of the NBA, where the players are all regarded as thugs.The fact is that most players censor themselves. But there's a few extremely talented idiots that don't. These guys are making highlight reels and standing out. This is fun in the short run, and destructive to the proffessionalism of the game in the long run. The NFL doesnt want these players to become the defacto representation of their product. They are taking steps to preserve the game's integrity for the long run.
This has nothing to do with looking professional, if it did, the NFL would allow coaches to wear suits on the sidelines. A suit is much more professional than a team sweatshirt. I guess since it doesn't promote the league though, that's all that matters...I wonder if the league would fine a group of players who spelled out "NFL.COM" in a group celebration...

If the NFL really wants to put some class back into things let teams handle it themselves.
That is a terrible idea. If they did that, you know very few, if any, teams would enforce it for fear of ticking off their star players. Teams want their star players to be happy and if doing TD celebrations makes them happy, teams are not about to tell them they can't do them.
So you mean the players aren't concerned about excessive celebrations, and ownership doesn't care either? Why exactly is this an issue again?

Finally. Cut the BS out of the NFL and the media will have little to complain about it in the end. Cutting celebrations is a good start. This, if this passes, is a good rule. Get back to be professionals.
:goodposting: Taunting is for chidren.

Everything has to be to the extreme.

If you're not in favor of restricting celebrations, then you are FOR players behaving like complete loons, and showing up the other team.

If you are in favor of restricting celebrations, then you want the players to be automatons, with no personality whatsoever.

Give me a break. Applying the most extreme example to someone's point is why most of these discussions never go anywhere.

" I think the new celebration rule is a good idea...."

"So you're against free speech?"

Lame.

Hot off the press

I just heard on the radio that Chad Johnson has commented on this by saying (and I paraphrase - do not have exact quote) something to the effect that:

"No way the NFL cal stop #85 from entertaining himself....no way"

This is gonna get real interesting folks.....like someone mentioned, the players will definitely find a way to circumvent the rule.

:popcorn:

PS: I agree, Sweetness had the best TD celebration EVER.....RIP #34

Users who are viewing this thread