What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No Mike Gillislee thread? Mike Gilleslee thread (1 Viewer)

Even I could I run through that hole. No one touched him for 20 yards. Not exactly a fair comparison, as there have been very few holes to run through for any of the NE backs, and many times they are getting hit in the backfield. The Pats also haven't been facing their usual game script that worked so well for Blount last year (get way ahead early, run clock, and pound Blount late in the fourth to salt away the game.) The Pats have been in dog fights pretty much every game, and the defense has not been anywhere near what it was last year.
Yeah, that clip wasn't meant to be some sort of situational comparison (it would be more similar to Gillislee's untouched runs last year when he compiled his 5.7 ypc that everyone was drooling over). I mainly just liked that run and wanted to link it. I had to ask the question though since everyone was ready to dog pile on Blount for his 3.9 ypc last year and now Gillislee is at 3.6 ypc. There seemed to be a prevailing thought that Gillislee would be an upgrade and that Blount was not that good. I still think that line of thought was very foolish. Blount has a lot more highlight worthy runs this year, though, and he's about to turn 31...

Yeah, that clip wasn't meant to be some sort of situational comparison (it would be more similar to Gillislee's untouched runs last year when he compiled his 5.7 ypc that everyone was drooling over). I mainly just liked that run and wanted to link it. I had to ask the question though since everyone was ready to dog pile on Blount for his 3.9 ypc last year and now Gillislee is at 3.6 ypc. There seemed to be a prevailing thought that Gillislee would be an upgrade and that Blount was not that good. I still think that line of thought was very foolish. Blount has a lot more highlight worthy runs this year, though, and he's about to turn 31...
There is also a decent chance that Blount running behind that line this year in NE would have a 1.8 ypc. I personally don't think the Pats made the wrong choice, but whatever Blount does anywhere else is irrelevant to what is going on in NE.

There is also a decent chance that Blount running behind that line this year in NE would have a 1.8 ypc. I personally don't think the Pats made the wrong choice, but whatever Blount does anywhere else is irrelevant to what is going on in NE.
Doubtful. Blount is pretty good at shedding blockers and gaining YAC.

I'm not saying the Pats made the wrong choice, just that fantasy owners are too quick to crown the next man up. Like my comments in the Dion thread, these comments are more football based than fantasy based. I was not going to pursue the NE backfield even if Blount remained. 

Doubtful. Blount is pretty good at shedding blockers and gaining YAC.

I'm not saying the Pats made the wrong choice, just that fantasy owners are too quick to crown the next man up. Like my comments in the Dion thread, these comments are more football based than fantasy based. I was not going to pursue the NE backfield even if Blount remained. 
Blount faded quite a bit as the season wore on last year. He had a 3.0 ypc over the final month and the playoffs (last 7 games). He has limited utility in the passing game (doesn't really catch, pass protect, or pick up blitzers all that well). It's easy to understand why the Pats were ready to move on.

How people interpreted what their next move was, how they would use the new set of backs, and how each would perform is a different discussion than "should NE have stuck with Blount."

Blount faded quite a bit as the season wore on last year. He had a 3.0 ypc over the final month and the playoffs (last 7 games). He has limited utility in the passing game (doesn't really catch, pass protect, or pick up blitzers all that well). It's easy to understand why the Pats were ready to move on.

How people interpreted what their next move was, how they would use the new set of backs, and how each would perform is a different discussion than "should NE have stuck with Blount."
I've seen Blount make nice hands catches on his targets, so I don't know that his bad rap in that phase is warranted, but it really seems moot. The guy they replaced him with has ZERO targets through five games, so I doubt passing game utility actually played any role in the decision to sign Gillislee instead of re-signing Blount. Maybe they didn't like the fade you noted or maybe they just wanted to get younger. I don't fault them for it. "Should NE have stuck with Blount?" is not a question I've asked or tried to answer. I just took issue with the seemingly quick and universal assumption that Gillislee was some sort of automatic upgrade over Blount and due for a floor of 12 TDs (although if I'm being fair, he's still on pace for 12.8).

FWIW, it's been years since I've owned any Blount stock (and I play in a lot of leagues). I just feel obligated to stick up for him since I love watching him play.

I've seen Blount make nice hands catches on his targets, so I don't know that his bad rap in that phase is warranted, but it really seems moot. The guy they replaced him with has ZERO targets through five games, so I doubt passing game utility actually played any role in the decision to sign Gillislee instead of re-signing Blount. Maybe they didn't like the fade you noted or maybe they just wanted to get younger. I don't fault them for it. "Should NE have stuck with Blount?" is not a question I've asked or tried to answer. I just took issue with the seemingly quick and universal assumption that Gillislee was some sort of automatic upgrade over Blount and due for a floor of 12 TDs (although if I'm being fair, he's still on pace for 12.8).

FWIW, it's been years since I've owned any Blount stock (and I play in a lot of leagues). I just feel obligated to stick up for him since I love watching him play.
I have no aversion to NE backs, as they always come at a discount due to the perception that they are hard to predict and a muddied mess. I have owned Blount for years as a back up / bench guy that either took on a better role fantasy wise (or last year became a regular starter).

Not much has changed in that regard, as all the NE backs this year carried a fantasy back up price tag. I have Gillislee in several places, but I don't need him to be a stud (he's a RB 3 or 4 for me). People looking for a do it all back in NE will always be disappointed, but they are generally more productive than they cost (if healthy). Just don't expect one of them to run into Bell or Johnson.

I have no aversion to NE backs, as they always come at a discount due to the perception that they are hard to predict and a muddied mess. I have owned Blount for years as a back up / bench guy that either took on a better role fantasy wise (or last year became a regular starter).

Not much has changed in that regard, as all the NE backs this year carried a fantasy back up price tag. I have Gillislee in several places, but I don't need him to be a stud (he's a RB 3 or 4 for me). People looking for a do it all back in NE will always be disappointed, but they are generally more productive than they cost (if healthy). Just don't expect one of them to run into Bell or Johnson.
I thought Gillislee would be a great best ball back, but in my best ball league he went for RB2 prices (most of my leagues are auction) despite them being ppr for the most part. Looking at the last FBG ADP, he came in at RB26 in 0ppr and RB28 in ppr, so he was not a cheap backup and remains difficult to predict on a weekly basis (which is problematic assuming you don't have him in best ball).

I thought Gillislee would be a great best ball back, but in my best ball league he went for RB2 prices (most of my leagues are auction) despite them being ppr for the most part. Looking at the last FBG ADP, he came in at RB26 in 0ppr and RB28 in ppr, so he was not a cheap backup and remains difficult to predict on a weekly basis (which is problematic assuming you don't have him in best ball).
In 10-12 team leagues, the point was he was not drafted as a RB1 or RB2. Most of my leagues he went in the RB25-30 range. Based on PPG in 0 ppr leagues and at least 3 games played, he ranks as RB17. Sure, he is inconsistent as his value is TD dependent, but not sure people can complain about their return so far. If so, then they were expected way too much.

Am I deluding myself in thinking he's not a bad start this week as a flex? Yes, TD dependent but should be a game with a lot of points.

Gillislee's trend is not good.  Not sure if it was a matchup/game plan thing, a game situation thing, or Belichick upset about a fumble.  Probably a bit of a combination of the three.  He is obviously not a bell-cow and not a back they throw the ball to.  At this point you can only count on about 8-10 carries for 30-40 yards and roll the dice if he is gonna get to punch in a touch down or two.  Not a guy I would want to roll with, but no choice right now.  Of course if they get in a situation where they have the lead and want to run the clock against a team they are capable of pounding it out against, those numbers could pop up to 15-20 carries and 70-80 yards.  Still just a flex guy and bye week guy at best.  

Gillislee fumble opened the door for Lewis who had been trending up anyways.

Burkhead could be back as well.

If I'm Bill B., I'm running the crap out of the ball this week with Gilmore and Rowe out, but good luck figuring out which RB benefits.

Stay away.

Tool said:
Am I deluding myself in thinking he's not a bad start this week as a flex? Yes, TD dependent but should be a game with a lot of points.
Looks like I have the answer to my question. He’s useless.

I dropped him and hope one of the teams I’m competing against picks him up and starts him against me. And I’m a Pats fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
So after his big opening game, I had a deal lined up to trade him for Eifert after the week 1 games finished (since we couldn't do the trade after he had played).  Then DJ (also on my squad) got hurt and I was suddenly much less deep at RB, so I decided to hang on to him.

I guess I was better off for this year not trading for Eifert, but yikes, is this guy useless to me now.  If I had known, I probably would have gone ahead with the deal.  (Hmm, maybe I should go ahead and propose it again  :)  )

droppable in dynasty? 

At this point a hold would only be due to him not making the NE roster and landing somewhere else giving him some value. 

Rotoworld take:

Saints signed RB Mike Gillislee to a one-year contract.

The Saints were always a foreseeable destination for Gillislee given that the club kept only Alvin Kamara and rookie Boston Scott in the backfield on their 53-man roster (that excludes Mark Ingram, who is serving a four-game PED suspension). Gillislee has scored 13 touchdowns over his last two seasons and makes for an ideal short-yardage complement to Kamara with Jonathan Williams and Terrance West now out of the picture. Although goal line touchdowns are now likely to be vultured by Gillislee, Kamara remains a projected workhorse until Ingram returns (and perhaps even when he's back).

Related: Patriots

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Sep 2 - 6:08 PM

Mike Triplett‏Verified account @MikeTriplett 14m14 minutes ago

Saints coach Sean Payton said the vision for new RB Mike Gillislee is as a first- and second-down runner. Has given teams "hard yards" in the past. Physical runner. Not planning to throw him 15 passes a game.

Saints coach Sean Payton expects Mike Gillislee to quickly "get up to speed."

Signed on Sunday, Gillislee has a week to get ready for the season opener. Considering the limited role he will play behind starter Alvin Kamara, that should be enough time for him to get ready. He might not see a ton of carries while Mark Ingram is suspended, but Gillislee could vulture a few touchdowns, making him worth an add in deeper leagues.

Source: Luke Johnson on Twitter 

Sep 3 - 10:34 AM

Gillislee should know the offensive terminology already -- his former coaches Anthony Lynn, Greg Roman, Josh McDaniels, and Sean Payton all branch off from the same offensive coaching tree (via Bill Parcells' and Bill Belichik's offensive assistants over the years).

Mike Gillislee is listed as the Saints' No. 2 back on the Week 1 depth chart.

This was expected following Gillislee's Sunday signing, but he's now officially ahead of sixth-round rookie Boston Scott, who will focus on returning kicks. Gillislee will bang between the tackles and perhaps see some work near the goal-line. He is not a threat to Alvin Kamara's elite RB1 status.

Source: Nick Underhill on Twitter 

Sep 4 - 5:23 PM

No and I’m shallow leagues, I’m not adding him yet unless I have a roster spot to burn. If he does we’ll week 1 though, I could see them giving him leash in weeks 2-4 and if he does well still, cutting Ingram straight up. Correct me if I’m wrong, and I may be, but I am under the impression that because Ingram has a suspension to his name, he voided any guarantees he had

Welp ... now that Boston Scott is waived, Gillislee might be up for more than a cup of cafe-au-lait in New Orleans.

Sean Payton's M.O. -- he'll try to float Scott through waivers, and then resign him next Monday. We'll see how that goes.

Just grabbed him as an end of the bench “backup to my backup to a backup”.

Lol

got a bargain on Ingram in the 8/9 turn, so purely a “just in case” kind of pickup - what if Gilislee excels; what if the Saints deal Ingram, what if Kamara gets hurt - I could see a scenario where Glee becomes fantasy relevant. Especially given that they just cut Scott (who was a hot pickup for about 11 mins...thanks for the $5 contribution, dudes in both my leagues who added Scott. lol) 

Well said.

If ya don’t have a better alternative to this week one, you drafted horribly. :lol:  
A few weeks ago I drafted Bell in the 1st, McKinnon in the 2nd, then picked up Guice in the 5th, then added Aaron Jones and Rashaad Penny later  as insurance.  Now what?

Not really...but it is remotely possible to get here without being a horrible drafter.  You’d just need the worst luck in FF history...

A few weeks ago I drafted Bell in the 1st, McKinnon in the 2nd, then picked up Guice in the 5th, then added Aaron Jones and Rashaad Penny later  as insurance.  Now what?
Perhaps Seppuku? 

:lol:  

or therapy & better luck next year.  :shrug:

Not really...but it is remotely possible to get here without being a horrible drafter.  You’d just need the worst luck in FF history...
#Truth. 

Well said.

If ya don’t have a better alternative to this week one, you drafted horribly. :lol:  
I didn't mean it like that, I meant regardless of format don't start Gillislee over Barber.

It's unlikely many people are forced to start Barber week 1 unless they went heavy on the zero RB but Barber isn't a bad start simply because he's going to touch the ball between 15-20 times. There are much worse backs than Barber who have stumbled into volume and produced.

I didn't mean it like that, I meant regardless of format don't start Gillislee over Barber.

It's unlikely many people are forced to start Barber week 1 unless they went heavy on the zero RB but Barber isn't a bad start simply because he's going to touch the ball between 15-20 times. There are much worse backs than Barber who have stumbled into volume and produced.
I’ve got Barber in at Flex in one league, so I agree completely. :yes:  

Please post your roster, so we can prepare.

Please post your roster, so we can prepare.
Sure thing:

QB: Winston, McCown, Mayfield

RB: Bell, McKinnon, Guice, A. Jones, Penny (had Jonathan Williams too but cut him for the aforementioned Gillislee)

WR:  *pick your favorite jinx victim here*, Doug Baldwin, Marquise Lee, Martavis Bryant, Curtis Samuel

TE:  D. Walker, Shaheen, Gathers

K: Dan Bailey

D: Oakland

(I’m only a WR1 away from having an all-injury squad at or near ADP!  Crazy preseason.)

Users who are viewing this thread