What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No More Headers in Youth Soccer? (1 Viewer)

I wonder what this would be like in a game. Would header be like a handball in a game where this is banned? Would a cross in the box being cleared out by defenders header be a PK? This will be very interesting to see how it works.
you have to remember that at the under 10 age group, things like classic crosses into a crowded box don't exist.

These age level games are all 5 on 5 mostly so crossing happens very very rarely and it is almost always on the ground when it does happen more as a pass.

I have not yet read what the actual penalty is in game if some kid tries to head it.
They do exist, although I would agree they are rare. U10 is currently playing 6v6.

This would affect my daughter (9) who has a very good header.
is it 6 on 6 field players plus a keeper?

When I said 5 on 5 I was talking the field players only.

I wonder what this would be like in a game. Would header be like a handball in a game where this is banned? Would a cross in the box being cleared out by defenders header be a PK? This will be very interesting to see how it works.
you have to remember that at the under 10 age group, things like classic crosses into a crowded box don't exist.

These age level games are all 5 on 5 mostly so crossing happens very very rarely and it is almost always on the ground when it does happen more as a pass.

I have not yet read what the actual penalty is in game if some kid tries to head it.
They do exist, although I would agree they are rare. U10 is currently playing 6v6.This would affect my daughter (9) who has a very good header.
is it 6 on 6 field players plus a keeper?

When I said 5 on 5 I was talking the field players only.
You're right. 5 field players and one goalie.

I used my head in practice to field a punted soccer ball. It hurt more than I remembered it hurting. Probably not the worst idea in the world to limit headers for kids whose brains are still developing and not fully encased in bong resin like mine. There was a time that I would work on proper header technique for my boys, but we quit doing that and focus on using the chest or other body parts to field the ball. Sometimes, headers are absolutely necessary and it is instinctual for some to go after it. Not sure how to coach that out of them, but if that's the rules, I'll follow along. These concussions are no joke.

Before my daughters played volleyball only the were both soccer players as well. My younger daughter suffered a concussion when colliding forehead to forehead with another player when both going for a header. This was 8 years ago.

After that she wore something like this. Have to believe this will be mandatory soon for youth soccer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kids will be running from a punt like it's an incoming grenade. Covering their heads and diving for cover.
In an unrelated move, I believe US Soccer is also looking into removing punting in youth soccer to encourage kids to build out from the back, a skill US players are weak in.
I am all for this.Also, I try to get my kids to chest the ball but for some reason they all resist. They all want to head it. I let the air out of balls a lil before games (and use the soft select balls) to try and reduce the risk. Last night I had a kid take a Futsal ball to the face. He was ok but it looked bad initially.
Until US Players are crappy winning balls in the air
I don't really care about our air game. That's like a poor dude worrying about his rims. We need to understand space, how to actually make good passes and trap the ball first.

Kids will be running from a punt like it's an incoming grenade. Covering their heads and diving for cover.
In an unrelated move, I believe US Soccer is also looking into removing punting in youth soccer to encourage kids to build out from the back, a skill US players are weak in.
I am all for this.Also, I try to get my kids to chest the ball but for some reason they all resist. They all want to head it. I let the air out of balls a lil before games (and use the soft select balls) to try and reduce the risk. Last night I had a kid take a Futsal ball to the face. He was ok but it looked bad initially.
Our league board voted this ban down, so punts will continue here. I understand wanting younger kids to build from the back, but unless you force the opposing team to play behind midfield or another demarcation, it's just opening up easy offensive attacks as many U9 and younger kids lack the ability to or the strength to begin play from the back line. Goal kicks for U9 and under can be a nightmare for some coaches/teams. Can't imagine eliminating punts will alleviate that headache for youth coaches.

And I'm strictly speaking on the rec level here, with volunteer coaches who may not be sophisticated soccer aficionados.

I thought another thing US Soccer was going to implement was a 30 yard line the defense had to get behind for goal kicks?

Indoor gives a glimpse of the game without GK punting. The aggressive teams attack when the opposing GK has the ball, and very often win it and get a good shot on goal. It's pretty good for the kids to learn about good GK distribution and protecting possession, but can get out of hand.

Another big change us soccer is mandating - going to calendar year for birthdate groupings. It's going to split most current temps in half (those using the sept 1 date). It kind of sucks for my son, who was born in December so will be separated from several of his best friends and classmates, and will essentially miss u12 - going from u11 directly to u13, with the size 5 ball, 11 v 11 on a full field.

Another big change us soccer is mandating - going to calendar year for birthdate groupings. It's going to split most current temps in half (those using the sept 1 date). It kind of sucks for my son, who was born in December so will be separated from several of his best friends and classmates, and will essentially miss u12 - going from u11 directly to u13, with the size 5 ball, 11 v 11 on a full field.
I'm letting the teams in our association older then u8 stay together and play up a division.Etited to add I am hurting my son soccer wise, who is a 6/05. But socially all his pals on the team are 10-12 04 kids. It's not like he's gonna be a pro, lol.

Also Cletus, the kids that are December U11 kids this year will still be December U12 kids next year. They will just be the youngest instead of the oldest. Right?

I'm letting the teams in our association older then u8 stay together and play up a division.Etited to add I am hurting my son soccer wise, who is a 6/05. But socially all his pals on the team are 10-12 04 kids. It's not like he's gonna be a pro, lol.

Also Cletus, the kids that are December U11 kids this year will still be December U12 kids next year. They will just be the youngest instead of the oldest. Right?
I think he'll skip u12, assuming our association adopts the new birthdate rules. That's what a friend in the know said, and seems to be the case based on this chart.

https://usys-assets.ae-admin.com/assets/1/15/US%20Soccer%20Birth%20Year%20and%20Season%20Matrix.pdf

Not a huge deal, but will be a challenge for kids born late in the calendar year.

I think he'll skip u12, assuming our association adopts the new birthdate rules. That's what a friend in the know said, and seems to be the case based on this chart. https://usys-assets.ae-admin.com/assets/1/15/US%20Soccer%20Birth%20Year%20and%20Season%20Matrix.pdf

Not a huge deal, but will be a challenge for kids born late in the calendar year.
this is different than what was issued in September. That matrix had my u9 daughter playing u9 again. This has her playing u10 next year

I see your point. I guess the difference is he will still be against all 2004 kids, no matter what they call it. The August-December kids do lose a year of playing though in your chart which is weird.

I think he'll skip u12, assuming our association adopts the new birthdate rules. That's what a friend in the know said, and seems to be the case based on this chart. https://usys-assets.ae-admin.com/assets/1/15/US%20Soccer%20Birth%20Year%20and%20Season%20Matrix.pdf

this is different than what was issued in September. That matrix had my u9 daughter playing u9 again. This has her playing u10 next year
That was the one I saw. I was at a meeting last night where it was reinforced. That's why your chart caught me off guard. We need to figure out which is right.

I'm looking back at my concussions:

- linedrive off the head in the little league baseball (fake bunt, charged in from 1st).

- 2x head-to-head on a header

- 1x elbow to head challenging the ball (no header)

- 1x hip to head on a slide tackle

- might be a couple more soccer related ones mixed in there... all the concussions have ####ed with my memory.

- on bike and got doored- went from 25 to 0 instantly, spinning onto the street (with helmet).

so half of my soccer-related concussions were header related. considering it's a contact sport, I'm not sure how much eliminating heading is going to do- but I'll defer to the people who made the studies.

- linedrive off the head in the little league baseball (fake bunt, charged in from 1st).

- might be a couple more soccer related ones mixed in there... all the concussions have ####ed with my memory.

- on bike and got doored- went from 25 to 0 instantly, spinning onto the street (with helmet).

so half of my soccer-related concussions were header related. considering it's a contact sport, I'm not sure how much eliminating heading is going to do- but I'll defer to the people who made the studies.
All of these happened to you while playing U13 and below? If not, then you are a shining example of why this rule should maybe be expanded to cover older ages as well.

The United States Soccer Federation has taken a major step in an attempt to reduce concussions among youth soccer players, adopting a policy that bans players under 11 from heading the ball and reducing headers in practice for 11 to 13 year olds, the New York Times reports. The new rules—which also include changes to substitutions—are in response to a class action lawsuit, which will now be dismissed.

All of these happened to you while playing U13 and below? If not, then you are a shining example of why this rule should maybe be expanded to cover older ages as well.

The United States Soccer Federation has taken a major step in an attempt to reduce concussions among youth soccer players, adopting a policy that bans players under 11 from heading the ball and reducing headers in practice for 11 to 13 year olds, the New York Times reports. The new rules—which also include changes to substitutions—are in response to a class action lawsuit, which will now be dismissed.
what age do you think it should move up to?

In all seriousness. I'm in my 40's and part of me wonders if my "memory issues" is age or actually concussions.

I had 7 diagnosed and I'm pretty certain another 5 to 10 that I never went to a doctor for.

:unsure:

I am an engineer and develop protective athletic headgear. In fact, I'm doing it right now, testing in the lab. I'm also a huge soccer fan.

Simply put, reducing the number of instances of impact is the best way to reduce the likelihood of a concussion. Concussions can happen with massive blows to the head (high g), they can also happen with relatively light blows to the head (low g). Concussion prevention is a whole different animal than what american football, lacrosse, motorcycle, bicycle, etc. helmets are developed for, which is to prevent catastrophic cranial injury (e.g. skull fracture). The latter is well understood and fairly simple to prevent. Concussions, not so much.

Furthermore, there are real differences between head to ball, head to head, head to ground, head to post, and head to body impacts. Some are high mass, low velocity. Some are high velocity, low mass. The compliance of the object striking makes a huge difference (tennis ball vs. billiard ball) in the impact head accelerations.

Finally, there's an existing standard for protective headgear for soccer (F2439), created by an a group called ASTM, which is made up of academic researchers, manufacturers, and anyone else that's interested in the topic. Meetings are open to all members of ASTM and work is conducted in the open with anonymous voting. I am a member of this group (and other similar groups) that seek to create scientifically sound standards for protective athletic equipment.

I will take PMs, but I'll probably stay out of commenting on the topic more than I have already.

I know soccer and football both have a ton of concussions.

What other sports are high? Do hockey players have to deal with this at this level? I assume baseball is low and basketball is possibly the lowest......?

We make the kids go to their half on goal kicks. It's great.
That's an abomination.

Weird. Played pretty much all my soccer days as a striker. I got mangled by the ogres they put at center back lots of times, but never had a concussion. Lots of other stuff, but never that one.

Sucks about being doored, too. That's the kind of worry I have these days.

what age do you think it should move up to? check Floppo's answer below to answer your question....
Floppo> How old were you when you became a Redbulls fan?

These explain a lot

I played youth ball (starting at 10), through Div 1 college into semi-pro after college. no concussions before 13.

Only one soccer concussion was under 16 (I only remember, because I couldn't drive yet). two were definitely in College (neither was head-to-head). Short of wearing helmets- and I'm not against that if they're proven to minimize risk of concussions- I'm not sure what else to do. I don't know that eliminating heading the ball at the u10 level will ultimately help resolve anything long-term, even if it keeps kids at lesser risk of concussion until 10. on the downside of that, kids won't have the opportunity to deal with heading situations and how to avoid getting hurt in them.

what age do you think it should move up to? check Floppo's answer below to answer your question....
old enough to know better.

I still don't know what you are suggesting specifically. Are you saying headers should be removed from the sport entirely no matter the age?

I still don't know what you are suggesting specifically. Are you saying headers should be removed from the sport entirely no matter the age?
I think he's found a causal relationship between a life of concussions and being a RB fan.

belljr said:
In all seriousness. I'm in my 40's and part of me wonders if my "memory issues" is age or actually concussions.

I had 7 diagnosed and I'm pretty certain another 5 to 10 that I never went to a doctor for.

I've had at least that many thanks to soccer and football and I haven't noticed anything.

belljr said:

I've had at least that many thanks to soccer and football and I haven't noticed anything.

I'll just remove my post so that Tanner's joke can have the appropriate zing.
lol.

I was actually just replying to it, but couldn't.

developing brains avoiding concussions make sense in the way you put it... so it did help inform my opinion, even if I appreciate the zing factor now of Tanner's joke.

NewlyRetired said:

What other sports are high? Do hockey players have to deal with this at this level? I assume baseball is low and basketball is possibly the lowest......?
Hockey, yes.

All of these happened to you while playing U13 and below? If not, then you are a shining example of why this rule should maybe be expanded to cover older ages as well.The United States Soccer Federation has taken a major step in an attempt to reduce concussions among youth soccer players, adopting a policy that bans players under 11 from heading the ball and reducing headers in practice for 11 to 13 year olds, the New York Timesreports. The new ruleswhich also include changes to substitutionsare in response to a class action lawsuit, which will now be dismissed.
I think he's found a causal relationship between a life of concussions and being a RB fan.
:yes: it would have been better if he were a scouzer fan :wall:

Weird. Played pretty much all my soccer days as a striker. I got mangled by the ogres they put at center back lots of times, but never had a concussion. Lots of other stuff, but never that one.

Sucks about being doored, too. That's the kind of worry I have these days.
Concussions really are a strange beast.

I have played for my entire life, mostly in central midfield so I'm pretty used to contesting headers off of goal kicks, for example, and I don't think I've ever had a concussion. Every other injury under the sun, sure, but nothing that I've ever thought was a concussion.

A few years ago, I played indoor coed with my girlfriend's work team. She had never played organized soccer before, aside from a handful of coed intramurals in college (she's ####### terrible at soccer). One of the first games of the season, early second half, she gets unintentionally run over by some guy, kinda a clumsy incident for both of them. She goes down (playing outside mid), I go over from the center and ask if she's okay. She says yeah sure, I ask her like 2-3 more times, she keeps assuring me she's fine. Totally normal. We had no subs, she plays the rest of the half. Game ends, we drive home....maybe 20 minutes after the game ends, on the drive home, she turns to me, point blank and says "did I play in the second half? I don't remember anything after halftime." The headaches set in not long after, and she hasn't played since.

Brain injuries are a funny (and terrifying) thing.

NewlyRetired said:

A study of college athletes from 1998-2004 has indicated that the highest percentages of concussions among college athletes are, in order:

Women's ice hockey

Men's American football

Men's ice hockey

Women's soccer

Men's soccer

Men's wrestlng

Men's lacrosse

Women's lacrosse

and then the rest

Men's baseball is lowest on the list. (source: wikipedia)

Users who are viewing this thread