What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NO To TO from Eagles (1 Viewer)

Family Matters

Footballguy
The link below. This is shapping up to be a meican standoff. TO and his agent want a new deal but the Eagles have a history of not caving into demands. I don't know how this one will turn out but I wouldn't bet on TO getting any new deal this year. So if he doesn't, will he play? Thoughts:http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8462693

Lurie: If T.O. wants to win Super Bowl, he should stay in Philly May 11, 2005CBS SportsLine.com wire reports PHILADELPHIA -- The Philadelphia Eagles will not renegotiate the contract of star wide receiver Terrell Owens, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported Wednesday. Advertisement Owens fired longtime agent David Joseph in April, hired Drew Rosenhaus and started asking for a renegotiation just one year into a seven-year deal worth almost $49 million. The Eagles have intimated they wouldn't redo the contract, and owner Jeffrey Lurie told the newspaper, "It's not even an issue." "It's a non-issue," Lurie said. "There are a lot of things I spend time thinking about, but that's not one of them." Lurie criticized Owens' new agent for giving him "self-destructive advice." The flamboyant Owens helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl in his first season in Philadelphia after eight years with San Francisco. Owens, reached at his offseason home in Atlanta, declined to comment. Rosenhaus also declined to respond. "My policies are not to comment, so I have no comment," Rosenhaus said. Owens skipped the Eagles' mandatory minicamp April 29, in a holdout that could extend into training camp, which starts in late July. "I know I'm a top player in the game, and my current contract doesn't justify that," Owens had said after hiring Rosenhaus. "Every player is both fragile and talented," said Lurie, who was traveling Wednesday with NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue to a conference of chief executive officers in Beijing. "Unfortunately, we're seeing around the league certain agents who take advantage of the fragility of the players, and are less worried about their continued success and stability than acting self destructively. It's too bad," he said. Asked if he expects Owens to be with the Eagles next season, Lurie said, "If he wants to win a Super Bowl, he should be." "At this level, with multimillions (of dollars), you're just trying to leave a legacy and win Super Bowls, as far as I am concerned. And he's got a great opportunity," Lurie said. AP NEWSThe Associated Press News ServiceCopyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Let him sit for a year and think about what that costs him. The guys not young any more. If he's stupid enough to sacrifice a year of his career, let him.

TO will play and play well. He will collect his :moneybag: this year and Philly will need to pay him :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: next year.

I loved having TO on the team last year, and he proved himself a warrior in the Super Bowl. But last time I checked, this Eagles core has won seven playoff games without him and is 0-1 with him. The road would be easier if he were on board, but at some point you have to stick to the foundations that got you there in the first place.

This is the time for this problem to either get smaller and go away, or for the problem to get bigger. I'm betting on "bigger". I don't think Owens and Rosenhaus can win the PR battle, so they'll likely take another approach. Maybe try to have the contract declared invalid, a lawsuit, something like that.

This is the time for this problem to either get smaller and go away, or for the problem to get bigger. I'm betting on "bigger". I don't think Owens and Rosenhaus can win the PR battle, so they'll likely take another approach. Maybe try to have the contract declared invalid, a lawsuit, something like that.
I can't imagine how they could do it, but for the sake of argument, let's say they're able to get the contract declared invalid. Could the Eagles then get the money they paid him last year back, including signing bonus? What an even bigger mess that would turn out being.

Could the Eagles then get the money they paid him last year back, including signing bonus? What an even bigger mess that would turn out being.
No chance. If the signing bonus is pro-rated they might be able to do something with the follow on years. NFL contracts arent guaranteed. TO has the right to sit and not get paid just like the Eagles have the right to cut him outright. Last years money is gone.

I agree. The PR aspect of this will blow up in their face. While I have nothing against anyone trying to get paid what the market will bear, no way will anyone support him from the fan base. That in effect could impact his marketibility as well.

I can't imagine how they could do it, but for the sake of argument, let's say they're able to get the contract declared invalid. Could the Eagles then get the money they paid him last year back, including signing bonus? What an even bigger mess that would turn out being.
As for the contract, when you consider that the NFLPA advised him not to sign it and yet he did so anyway, I don't see how the contract could be considered voidable without the consent of both parties.

Could the Eagles then get the money they paid him last year back, including signing bonus? What an even bigger mess that would turn out being.
No chance. If the signing bonus is pro-rated they might be able to do something with the follow on years. NFL contracts arent guaranteed. TO has the right to sit and not get paid just like the Eagles have the right to cut him outright. Last years money is gone.
Not only should he not be paid if he sits, he should be fined or sued for breach of contract. I understand the risks involved for the player, but this isn't the case of some practice squad guy coming in and being a WR1. This is TO, he already played the bad agent card when his old contract was nullified. I can't see anyone backing his play at this point.

TO has the right to sit and not get paid just like the Eagles have the right to cut him outright. Last years money is gone.
Correct to an extent. TO can sit out, but if he does he not only doesn't get paid, but he'll also be subject to fines out the wazoo. So he definately has incentive to get something done quickly.

I'm happy as a clam. Its about time an NFL team had the stones to tell Rosenhaus to shut the F##K up.Also, I still have Owens rated as the 11th or 12th best player, even if he holds out of Training Camp. Look at the evidence. He didn't even really practice before the Super Bowl, walked in and went off. T.O. will be fine, he won't hold out into the season (he needs the game-checks at this point) and everyone will be happy.

I'm happy as a clam. Its about time an NFL team had the stones to tell Rosenhaus to shut the F##K up.
:thumbup: I'm not an Eagles fan in the least, but I love their reaction to this.Great quote:

"At this level, with multimillions (of dollars), you're just trying to leave a legacy and win Super Bowls, as far as I am concerned. And he's got a great opportunity," Lurie said.
The league needs more owners like Lurie.

I also like the way the Eagles are handling this and taking a firm stance against player stupidity and against Rosenhaus (who I detest) personally. From a fantasy perspective, I also don't think any of this is impacting TO's value for the year at the present time. I think he could resolve this on the Saturday before the start of the season and then go out the next day and catch 10 balls for 150 and 2 TDs. If you like him, keep him where you have him ranked. If you are downgrading him, do so for other reasons than this in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Readers’ poll out on philly.com (website for Pila. Inquirer and Daily News):

Do you agree with Jeffrey Lurie's hard line on T.O.'s contract demands? Yes 3612 votes (96%) No 162 votes (4%) 3774 people have voted so far

As a Philly fan I also would love to see TO back, but if you renegotiate with one star player, where do you draw the line. His age (32) and back to back seasons with injuries may not fetch him the multi-millions he seeks.Our radio station here (WIP 610) has started a canned food drive for TO and his family........I love it!

As a Philly fan I also would love to see TO back, but if you renegotiate with one star player, where do you draw the line. His age (32) and back to back seasons with injuries may not fetch him the multi-millions he seeks.

Our radio station here (WIP 610) has started a canned food drive for TO and his family........I love it!
This is the part I dont understand:Why is it if that you renegotiate with one player, you have to renegotiate with every player?

Sounds to me like a ploy so the FO doesnt need to pay for :moneybag: out

JAA

This is the part I dont understand:Why is it if that you renegotiate with one player, you have to renegotiate with every player?Sounds to me like a ploy so the FO doesnt need to pay for :moneybag: outJAA
Jaa, what are you talking about. He has a FOURTY-NINE MILLION $ contract. The money has been paid. How much is one WR worth?You previous post is also off. He has 6 years left on his contract and Philly doen't have to do anything else to retain his rights at that cost for the remainder. Not this year, not next. Not in 2007, etc.....If he sits or hold-out, he forfeits the cash and gets fined. If he retires, he faces the signing bonus pay back issue and the Eagles STILL own his ###.He's always been a head case. I'd wish he'd just shut up and play for one year without all the BS. He's KILLING his shot at Canton because nobody will want to vote for this idiot.

It's not Jeffrey Lurie's fault...TO signed a contract LAST year, and he was paid somewhere around $9M for the first year of that contract. He then missed the last 6 weeks of the season, including (2) playoffs games, and he says that he outperfomed the contract. Where does he get off........

I am with TO on this...he signed a contract to get on the team he wanted, and figured once he showed how productive he could be he could renogotiate the contract...alot of that money is backloaded and probably would never be paid to him, especially with a carreer ending injury. He just want the money he deserves for his current talent level as any professional would.

I am with TO on this...he signed a contract to get on the team he wanted, and figured once he showed how productive he could be he could renogotiate the contract...alot of that money is backloaded and probably would never be paid to him, especially with a carreer ending injury. He just want the money he deserves for his current talent level as any professional would.
That's a pretty big thing to just "figure."

:confused: T.O. is trying to use Philly to get the money he wants, I'm glad that they are not giving in. Good thing T.O. changed his mind about signing in Bal because he would have had to deal with Ray Lewis. I'm neither a T.O fan or Philly fan for that matter. But Philly has been the standard on how to draft, trades, and issues dealing the players under contract (Like Denver). But I do respect how they handle things in their organizations and they don't owe T.O. ####. :thumbdown:

Yep, but contracts are always meant to be re-done... if Philly owed him 8M this year and 7M next year and he only had 600yds rec and 3TD's they would expect him to rework the contract or they would trade him or drop him altogether. It goes both ways...don't think for a second that when this contract was signed that Philly was looking at the propect of cutting or trading him when he is owed the big money in a couple of years.

Yep, but contracts are always meant to be re-done... if Philly owed him 8M this year and 7M next year and he only had 600yds rec and 3TD's they would expect him to rework the contract or they would trade him or drop him altogether. It goes both ways...don't think for a second that when this contract was signed that Philly was looking at the propect of cutting or trading him when he is owed the big money in a couple of years.
Actually, the contract WAS written in such a way that the Eagles could get out from the contract. Most of the bonus he received last year was a ROSTER bonus and already counted against last year's cap. He only has about 1.5 Mil in unamortized bonus. One of the reasons why Rosenhaus might want to renegotiate is because he's afraid the Eagles would try to get rid of TO before the $5 Mil bonus next march. But if that's the case, you'd think he'd do it in a much quieter fashion.

I despise the Eagles on a Football level. Just can't stand em.BUT... I respect and admire the hell out of them on a professional level for taking this stance.Hopefully this will be a bit of a wakeup call to all the Rosenhaus "pay me" players threatening hold outs.

"contracts are always meant to be re-done" waveman, you can't be serius?

"contracts are always meant to be re-done" waveman, you can't be serius?
Yep...Teams expect players to rework big contracts all the time...to make Cap room to sign other players...why can't players not renegotiate when they see a need or dicrepency??

Yep...Teams expect players to rework big contracts all the time...to make Cap room to sign other players...why can't players not renegotiate when they see a need or dicrepency??
This is not "always" the case, in some cases this is true, but it is "usually" done after a certain player has already made a boat load of money (i.e Marshall Faulk). Now I'm not saying what's right and what's wrong. Either way you look at it, it's Billionaires vs Millionaires. They all have made/will make their money.If you stop producing on your job how long do you think you'll last? :mellow:Edit to add in the case of T.O. #1 It's only been a year since he sign the contract and #2 He has a track record of "ISSUES" no matter where he goes.

This is the part I dont understand:

Why is it if that you renegotiate with one player, you have to renegotiate with every player?
Here's why. If they do not renegotiate with Owens, every other dissatisfied player on their roster who is "of lower stature" will resign themselves to "TO couldn't get more money, so I certainly can't", and will live with that. If they do renegotiate Owens's contract, every other dissatisfied player on the Eagles immediately triples their hopes of renegotiating their own contract, and dissatisfaction spreads like a plague. Human nature. The Eagles make the team dissatisfaction problem larger if they renegotiate with Owens.

There is no need to redo his contract....he just friggin signed it. I am an Eagles fan and I used to be a huge TO fan (before he came to philly). I understand the concerns on both sides, in fact I tend to side with players b/c of the way teams treat players (see Eddie George) however, 1 year into a contract you don't renegotiate, especially when you were given 10M in bonus money last year. TO, play well again this year and you'll get your money.

We still have some time before we need to downgrade McNabb, but I wonder where he winds up if there was no TO? Maybe he doesnt even slip past 3.......who knows.

Why is it if that you renegotiate with one player, you have to renegotiate with every player?

Sounds to me like a ploy so the FO doesnt need to pay for :moneybag: out

JAA
Jaa, what are you talking about. He has a FOURTY-NINE MILLION $ contract. The money has been paid. How much is one WR worth?You previous post is also off. He has 6 years left on his contract and Philly doen't have to do anything else to retain his rights at that cost for the remainder. Not this year, not next. Not in 2007, etc.....

If he sits or hold-out, he forfeits the cash and gets fined. If he retires, he faces the signing bonus pay back issue and the Eagles STILL own his ###.

He's always been a head case. I'd wish he'd just shut up and play for one year without all the BS. He's KILLING his shot at Canton because nobody will want to vote for this idiot.
I am talking about a contract that is not garunteed. Where did I say he should get renegotiated for more money (I have said it before, but for CAP reasons if you were paying attention)?For the record, TO does not want more money. TO wants some of his money sooner rather than later. Please have the facts before you sput off like this.

gll peas

Here's why. If they do not renegotiate with Owens, every other dissatisfied player on their roster who is "of lower stature" will resign themselves to "TO couldn't get more money, so I certainly can't", and will live with that. If they do renegotiate Owens's contract, every other dissatisfied player on the Eagles immediately triples their hopes of renegotiating their own contract, and dissatisfaction spreads like a plague. Human nature. The Eagles make the team dissatisfaction problem larger if they renegotiate with Owens.
I think it makes sense to renegotiate overperformers as much as it makes sense to give lessmoney to underperformers.Since the contract is not garunteed :moneybag: , I have no problem with him holding out.

EDIT: I dont agree that you have to rework everyones contract

EDIT: I dont agree that you have to rework everyones contract
That's not the issue. Of course they don't have to. Nor do they have to renegotiate Owen's contract (and it takes a contract renegotiation to get more money sooner rather than later).The issue is that more Eagles will be dissatisfied if Owens's contract is renegotiated than if it is not renegotiated.

I loved having TO on the team last year, and he proved himself a warrior in the Super Bowl. But last time I checked, this Eagles core has won seven playoff games without him and is 0-1 with him. The road would be easier if he were on board, but at some point you have to stick to the foundations that got you there in the first place.
I love you Wood, but this is just stupid...7-0 without him maybe, but without TO in the Superbowl, they were going to get blown out. The Iggles have no chance to win the Superbowl without TO. I doubt they get over the championship game without him. Lewis and Pinkston are taking that team nowhere.

So if you guys in Philly are satisfied with winning everything but the big one, then yes, look to that meaningless stat you just through out there.

The Eagles make it seem as though TO should stay if HE wants to win a Superbowl, but the truth is they need him to win it, IMO.

I love you Wood, but this is just stupid...7-0 without him maybe, but without TO in the Superbowl, they were going to get blown out. The Iggles have no chance to win the Superbowl without TO. I doubt they get over the championship game without him. Lewis and Pinkston are taking that team nowhere.

So if you guys in Philly are satisfied with winning everything but the big one, then yes, look to that meaningless stat you just through out there.

The Eagles make it seem as though TO should stay if HE wants to win a Superbowl, but the truth is they need him to win it, IMO.
Be careful here, I didn't say 7-0...that's not the case. I simply pointed out that the Eagles have won seven playoff games without TO. Last year, when TO got hurt, most of the talking heads predicted that the Eagles were still the team to beat, only the margin between they and the rest of the NFC was considerably narrowed. As an Eagles fanatic, I HOPED that was true, but felt cursed. Obviously I was pleasantly surprised to see the Birds rise to the occasion and make it to the Big Game.Can the Eagles win a SB without TO? Hard to say, but they absolutely can go deep into the playoffs without him. Ultimately we need to know how quickly Reggie Brown can develop and whether Ryan Moats is going to be a multi-faceted weapon before we know what kind of deck the Birds have without TO.

All things being equal, I want TO on my team and tearing it up. But I can't fault the Eagles for sticking to their plan and making him honor his deal. The sky certainly won't be falling without him, that's my main point. A dissapointment? :yes: But an end to the team's title aspirations? Hardly.

Gotta like this from McNabb. Safe yet to the point:http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8464001

McNabb makes it clear: Eagles don't need T.O. to win big May 11, 2005CBS SportsLine.com wire reports PHILADELPHIA -- Donovan McNabb is confident the Philadelphia Eagles can win the Super Bowl without Terrell Owens. Advertisement "I feel that if he plays or not, we definitely have a chance of making it to the Super Bowl and winning it," McNabb said Wednesday, one day after owner Jeffery Lurie said the team won't redo Owens' contract. "That's nothing against T.O. and it's nothing against anybody else. I just feel confident in the guys that we have. With T.O., I think we can do a lot of great things. Without him, I still think we can do a lot of good things." Owens, the All-Pro wide receiver who helped the Eagles reach the Super Bowl last season, skipped a mandatory minicamp last month because he wants to renegotiate the seven-year deal worth almost $49 million he signed in March 2004. Owens' new agent, Drew Rosenhaus, declined comment Wednesday. Rosenhaus also refused to say whether Owens plans to hold out of training camp, which starts in late July. In his first season in Philadelphia after eight years with the San Francisco 49ers, the flashy Owens set team records with 14 touchdown receptions and seven 100-yard games, and finished with 77 catches for 1,200 yards. He broke his leg and severely sprained his right ankle in Week 15 against Dallas, an injury that sidelined him until the Super Bowl. Owens had nine catches for 122 yards after defying his doctor's advice and playing in the Eagles' 24-21 loss to New England. McNabb, who lobbied hard for the Eagles to acquire Owens, had his best season last year, throwing for 3,875 yards and 31 TDs while earning his fifth consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl. "It was something that we all felt we could have benefited from; having a guy like T.O. over here to do a great job for us," said McNabb, who spoke to reporters after shooting a television commercial. "I think it will continue on. The sky is the limit of how far we can really go with having a guy like T.O., not only for me, but for this team. It's exciting to know what we're capable of doing when we're out on that field." McNabb said he expects Owens to play for the Eagles this year. "He has a contract," McNabb said. "There is desire to have more money and there is the desire to lose money. That would at least give you the motivation to get back out there on that field. "When you sign your name on the dotted line, that's your deal, and that's a decision you have to make." McNabb said his relationship with Owens isn't strained, though the teammates took verbal shots at each other in the offseason. "I wasn't the guy who got tired in the Super Bowl," Owens told ESPN.com, a thinly veiled reference to the fact some Eagles players said McNabb was so ill in the fourth quarter against the Patriots that he couldn't call one play in the huddle. McNabb has denied he was sick or tired in the game, and responded sternly to Owens' comments on the first day of minicamp. "Just keep my name out of your mouth," McNabb said. "Don't try to throw names or guys under the bus to better yourself. You never heard me say any names in any situation. You never heard me talk about any given players. I'm the guy to be professional and be a man about things." AP NEWSThe Associated Press News ServiceCopyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Hey Jason (and other Philly fans)What's the mood there on this? Local buzz? Philly doesn't strike me as a town that smiles on the contract renogiations. At what point does it turn from "C'mon TO, we need ya Buddy" to "Get your butt in there and honor your contract" to "Get rid of the guy if he can't be a team player?"J

Hey Jason (and other Philly fans)

What's the mood there on this? Local buzz? Philly doesn't strike me as a town that smiles on the contract renogiations.

At what point does it turn from "C'mon TO, we need ya Buddy" to "Get your butt in there and honor your contract" to "Get rid of the guy if he can't be a team player?"

J
This should bring out the range of emotions. McNabb has shown a great deal of restraint in this matter and you have to admire him for that. With McNabb being the fan favorite and TO attacking him while stumping for a new deal, I could see the hateful Philly fans ready to say good riddens to TO real soon. Philly fans do not have a reputation of being patient. In fact it could get down right ugly for TO. He should seriously consider making amends soon before he's run out of town. And McNabb might be happy to give him a lift.

Hey mbuehner,I'm not sure you're right on that. I'd like for someone to check out the NFLPA website and look into this. I think if he sits or doesn't honor his contract, the Eagles do have a right to get back some of the signing bonus.

I mean, if Ricky Williams was in a position where he had to pay some back, wouldn't Owens. Hasn't been there other cases of players having to pay back bonus money for not honoring a contract??? I'm almost positive their have been.

I can't wait to see the fan reaction at the first game.

Just tell TO that increasing his contract is no problem... He just needs to go into the locker room and find volunteers who are willing to take paycuts equal to his raise so he can make even more money than them.

What's the mood there on this? Local buzz? Philly doesn't strike me as a town that smiles on the contract renogiations.

At what point does it turn from "C'mon TO, we need ya Buddy" to "Get your butt in there and honor your contract" to "Get rid of the guy if he can't be a team player?"

J
hey Joe, I live in Philly. I think the mood initially was, "Well, it's America and he has the right to try and get his." But it all changed when we started seeing him on CSPAN crying (or whatever channel that was) talking about how he can't afford medical care for his grandmom who has Alzheimer's. Philly is predominately a lower-middle class, blue-collar town and has been for a long time. A guy who signed a $49million contract 14 months ago crying about how he can't afford medical bills doesn't sit too well with the guy in South Philly working at a factory for $12/hour or the guy from Pottstown working 55 hours week and commuting 90 minutes each way everyday into down town Philly so that he can put food on the table (by the way, both of those guys probably drive by the NoveCare complex daily-- which is where TO should be working out and getting ready for 2006).The thing that sent most of us over the edge were the stupid comments directed towards McNabb... we love mcNabb here, for obvious reasons. We stunk and have been mediocre at best since **** Vermeil left town back in 1982. mcNabb came to town and made us a winner again. there are a handful of names from Philadelphia sports history that will always be loved here for what they've done... Donovan will go down in Phila sports history as one of those guys. TO will NOT!

We all love TO and what he did in the SB. No doubt! And no one here has a problem with him asking for more money because this is america and we'd all do the same thing if we could... but once the Eagles said no, he should've dropped it!

J
hey Joe, I live in Philly. I think the mood initially was, "Well, it's America and he has the right to try and get his." But it all changed when we started seeing him on CSPAN crying (or whatever channel that was) talking about how he can't afford medical care for his grandmom who has Alzheimer's. Philly is predominately a lower-middle class, blue-collar town and has been for a long time. A guy who signed a $49million contract 14 months ago crying about how he can't afford medical bills doesn't sit too well with the guy in South Philly working at a factory for $12/hour or the guy from Pottstown working 55 hours week and commuting 90 minutes each way everyday into down town Philly so that he can put food on the table (by the way, both of those guys probably drive by the NoveCare complex daily-- which is where TO should be working out and getting ready for 2006).The thing that sent most of us over the edge were the stupid comments directed towards McNabb... we love mcNabb here, for obvious reasons. We stunk and have been mediocre at best since **** Vermeil left town back in 1982. mcNabb came to town and made us a winner again. there are a handful of names from Philadelphia sports history that will always be loved here for what they've done... Donovan will go down in Phila sports history as one of those guys. TO will NOT!

We all love TO and what he did in the SB. No doubt! And no one here has a problem with him asking for more money because this is america and we'd all do the same thing if we could... but once the Eagles said no, he should've dropped it!
Hey maddawg2020, that's what I'm alking about. The fans could turn on TO if he doesn't make his move soon. The longer this festers the less likely the fans will be open to him returning.Do you think he can make ammends?

Live in suburban Philly. Grew up in the city.We all realize its May. Training camp is what matters to a degree. The regular season is what matters more. Hell, Owens could hold out until November and this team is still good enough to be the No. 1 seed in the NFC. He will never be villified to the degree of J.D. Drew, but he could approach Eric Lindros if he does hold out. That said, if he comes in the day before the season and catches 10 for 150 and two scores in the opener, everyone will be wearing their T.O. jerseys that week.

We still have some time before we need to downgrade McNabb, but I wonder where he winds up if there was no TO? Maybe he doesnt even slip past 3.......who knows
Downgrade McNabb, hardly not. McNabb was great before TO and he'll be great without him.

Users who are viewing this thread