What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No way the Saints take a QB - Brees' Contract #'s (1 Viewer)

tommyGunZ

Footballguy
It's a bonanza

The $8 million signing bonus the Saints awarded Drew Brees represents only a part of what Brees is to realize in his first season in Louisiana. According to a source with access to NFL contractual data, the quarterback also before the last day of the 2006 league year (Dec. 31) is due a $12 million option bonus.

The option is the team's, but the Saints are not going to award him $8 million and then not come up with the $12 million. Through his six-year arrangement in New Orleans, Brees is to be paid base salaries of $1.9 million, $2.8 million, $4.8 million, $9.8 million, $9.8 million and $9.8 million.
:eek: :eek: :eek: Edit to add link: Brees Contract (bottom of page)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a bonanza

The $8 million signing bonus the Saints awarded Drew Brees represents only a part of what Brees is to realize in his first season in Louisiana. According to a source with access to NFL contractual data, the quarterback also before the last day of the 2006 league year (Dec. 31) is due a $12 million option bonus.

The option is the team's, but the Saints are not going to award him $8 million and then not come up with the $12 million. Through his six-year arrangement in New Orleans, Brees is to be paid base salaries of $1.9 million, $2.8 million, $4.8 million, $9.8 million, $9.8 million and $9.8 million.
League year actually is like March 31 or something like that IIRC

It would seem to me that it would be painful to draft a QB.

The rumors are that Brees is a one-year QB, but consider that they'd have to accelerate the $8M against the cap to 2007 AND pay a rookie a big signing bonus.

Sounds like a painful $ situation to tie up that much $$ in one position.

It would seem to me that it would be painful to draft a QB.

The rumors are that Brees is a one-year QB, but consider that they'd have to accelerate the $8M against the cap to 2007 AND pay a rookie a big signing bonus.

Sounds like a painful $ situation to tie up that much $$ in one position.
And in order to get out of the $12MM Dec 31 bonus, the Saints would have to cut Drew on the final day of the season.

The league year ends around the first of March, not the end of December. that's why players contracts end then as well. they are under contract through the end of a particular league year. Thus, the "start of free agency" in March always coincides with the announcement of a new salary cap and the start of a new league year.

They really screwed themselves. At least it wasn't the Chargers.
Ends up being $60M over 6. Overpaid ? Maybe. It all comes down to his recovery. Certainly some risk with a shoulder injury, but Payton and Loomis felt it was worth taking that risk. Hardly screwed themselves, unless he never plays a down for them. At least they haven't paid a QB $15M+ to throw 17 passes in 2 years.

I disagree. The whole point with how they structured Brees' contract was to allow them to bail after one year without too much pain. So they certainly could take a QB. I doubt they will, but they could.

Well, rotoworld, pft and others reported that the $12 million option bonus was due "prior to the 2007 season" which makes a heck of a lot more sense than having it due on December 31. I can't think of any reason either side would want a cut decision to occur on December 30.

It's a bonanza

This is exactly why it's really a 1-year deal. He gets $8 million signing bonus and $2 million in salary. Then, prior to the $12 million bonus due in March (not December...), they cut him. The only thing that accelerates against the cap is the $8 million signing bonus, but it hits the 2006 cap, not the 2007 cap, b/c he's cut in league year '06. As long as the Saints leave themselves with enough room to absorb the hit this year, they enter next year with Brees completely off the books.And the theory that since they gave him $8 million they will surely give him $12 million is, well, stupid.

This is exactly why it's really a 1-year deal. He gets $8 million signing bonus and $2 million in salary. Then, prior to the $12 million bonus due in March (not December...), they cut him. The only thing that accelerates against the cap is the $8 million signing bonus, but it hits the 2006 cap, not the 2007 cap, b/c he's cut in league year '06. As long as the Saints leave themselves with enough room to absorb the hit this year, they enter next year with Brees completely off the books.

And the theory that since they gave him $8 million they will surely give him $12 million is, well, stupid.
This seems right to me. The December date has to be a typo. If the Saints want to release Brees before the 2007 season, they'll be able to do so.

Ends up being $60M over 6. Overpaid ? Maybe. It all comes down to his recovery. Certainly some risk with a shoulder injury, but Payton and Loomis felt it was worth taking that risk. Hardly screwed themselves, unless he never plays a down for them. At least they haven't paid a QB $15M+ to throw 17 passes in 2 years.
I very much agree. A starting QB now in the NFL averages close to $10 million a year. They didn't overpay and left themselves options going into the new season, if necessary.

I very much agree. A starting QB now in the NFL averages close to $10 million a year. They didn't overpay and left themselves options going into the new season, if necessary.
Uh, I hate to break it to you, but when the Chargers franchised Drew last season, he was paid the average of the top 5 QBs salary. I think his salary was a little under $9MM.If the average of the highest paid 5 QBs is less than $9MM, the average NFL starting QB is making far less. This is why many Charger fans weren't unhappy to see Drew walk. He's injured and asking for top 5 QB money, when most Charger fans don't feel that he is a top 5 QB even when healthy.

Uh, I hate to break it to you, but when the Chargers franchised Drew last season, he was paid the average of the top 5 QBs salary. I think his salary was a little under $9MM.If the average of the highest paid 5 QBs is less than $9MM, the average NFL starting QB is making far less. This is why many Charger fans weren't unhappy to see Drew walk. He's injured and asking for top 5 QB money, when most Charger fans don't feel that he is a top 5 QB even when healthy.
I don't think that's entirely accurate, b/c he's not going to get paid the last three years. Here's his base salaries:2006 1900000.00

2007 2800000.00

2008 4800000.00

2009 9800000.00

2010 9800000.00

2011 9800000.00

Those last three years are fake. It's really a 1-year $10 million deal, or a $29.5 million deal for three years. Still it is $10 million/year, but you better believe that if Brees isn't a top-5 QB, he won't be in NO.

Looking at the contract this way, it really points to NO drafting a QB in the second or third round.

Funny, the HC wasn't too happy to see him go.And of course, what do you expect a fan to think when they've had a guy sitting on the bench for 2 years collecting a $40M contract ?

Funny, the HC wasn't too happy to see him go.And of course, what do you expect a fan to think when they've had a guy sitting on the bench for 2 years collecting a $40M contract ?
That's why he's a HC and not a GM.

They really screwed themselves.  At least it wasn't the Chargers.
I don't think that's entirely accurate, b/c he's not going to get paid the last three years. Here's his base salaries:2006 1900000.00

2007 2800000.00

2008 4800000.00

2009 9800000.00

2010 9800000.00

2011 9800000.00

Those last three years are fake. It's really a 1-year $10 million deal, or a $29.5 million deal for three years. Still it is $10 million/year, but you better believe that if Brees isn't a top-5 QB, he won't be in NO.

Looking at the contract this way, it really points to NO drafting a QB in the second or third round.
They still have Bouman and McPherson waiting in the wings i dont think another QB is what the Saints need

I'm not ready to completely rule it out. Supposedly Brees is behind schedule in his rehab and may miss the beginning of the season. I'm not saying they definitely take a QB, but I won't be flabergasted if they do.

Users who are viewing this thread