What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Northcut to start.. (1 Viewer)

Silver & Black

Footballguy
OK, so its not Earth shattering news. But it is news nonetheless. Here's the article.

Browns | Northcutt will start opposite Jurevicius

Sat, 8 Apr 2006 18:55:51 -0700

Patrick McManamon, of the Akron Beacon Journal, reports Cleveland Browns WR Dennis Northcutt will start opposite WR Joe Jurevicius until WR Braylon Edwards (knee) is able to return from knee surgery. Northcutt struggled in that role last season. Head coach Romeo Crennel said, "Because I think he was a little frustrated from the year before and previous years about his production. But, you got a new quarterback, new system. I think you have to take some of that into consideration."

What week are they targeting for Edwards' return?
I had heard talk that the team hoped for some time in October, but nothing official. I would also think that 2006 is going to be a very marginal year for Edwards with 2007 as a year that he could be a lot closer to normal.

I figured so, and I'd bet he does pretty well. That seems to be his shtick.
He's having a really weird career. Always 3rd or 4th in estimation of the team, but finished as their top WR twice in the past three years. Even then, he's almost worthless in FF, finishing 45th or so among WRs.

Doesn't zactly bode well for assisting the development of Charlie Frye now does it? Per Braylon, Savage had been lowering expectations that he'd be ready for the start of the season and even hinted that he might be placed on the PUP meaning he'd miss the first six games of the year but provide an additional roster spot and I'd bet that will end up happening.

Jes not feeling Charlie Frye blowing up as many other Brown's fans have jumped to that assumption. Joe Jereuvicious in eight years never had more than four TDs in any one season till last year, Super Bowl team, Pro Bowl WR, league Offensive MVP who set a scoring record, dominating offensive line with a few Pro Bowlers, a 6'7 true red zone scoring threat TE, and a Pro Bowl WR taking heat off him. He's going to the dead last scoring offense with a young QB who has five starts that placed him #28 on the QB rankings. Much of they hype is wrapped up in the Braylon/KWII upside but its clearly not coming at the begining of next year with Braylon out and KWII not having seen the field in two years and only having completed two full games in his two year tragic career and he's still not medically cleared yet and isn't expected to participate in off-season drills for a few more months, target date is sometime during training camp.

Frye in his crucial developmental stage and the Browns let Antonio Bryant walk. AB had the fourth highest reception yardage total in Cleveland Browns history. Talk of the team being unsure of the abilities of Offensive Coordinator Maurice Carthon who in his rookie year didn't produce points but is an old buddy of Romeo.

I wouldn't expect the Browns to punch up lots of points because they got a stud center and a journeyman WR entering his ninth year who missed sixteen games in the two years before last year's anomoly where he scored ten TDs with that Super Bowl supporting cast. And Reuben Droughn's production fell off the second Frye took over, average per carrry fell to 3 yards per carry from over 4 the last five games. Carthon/Crennel blaimed it on him being overworked, unhuh. I wouldn't be counting on any skill positions from the Browns next year but that is my humble opinion.

Well I guess I won't be keeping Braylon this time around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't zactly bode well for assisting the development of Charlie Frye now does it? Per Braylon, Savage had been lowering expectations that he'd be ready for the start of the season and even hinted that he might be placed on the PUP meaning he'd miss the first six games of the year but provide an additional roster spot and I'd bet that will end up happening.

Jes not feeling Charlie Frye blowing up as many other Brown's fans have jumped to that assumption. Joe Jereuvicious in eight years never had more than four TDs in any one season till last year, Super Bowl team, Pro Bowl WR, league Offensive MVP who set a scoring record, dominating offensive line with a few Pro Bowlers, a 6'7 true red zone scoring threat TE, and a Pro Bowl WR taking heat off him. He's going to the dead last scoring offense with a young QB who has five starts that placed him #28 on the QB rankings. Much of they hype is wrapped up in the Braylon/KWII upside but its clearly not coming at the begining of next year with Braylon out and KWII not having seen the field in two years and only having completed two full games in his two year tragic career and he's still not medically cleared yet and isn't expected to participate in off-season drills for a few more months, target date is sometime during training camp.

Frye in his crucial developmental stage and the Browns let Antonio Bryant walk. AB had the fourth highest reception yardage total in Cleveland Browns history. Talk of the team being unsure of the abilities of Offensive Coordinator Maurice Carthon who in his rookie year didn't produce points but is an old buddy of Romeo.

I wouldn't expect the Browns to punch up lots of points because they got a stud center and a journeyman WR entering his ninth year who missed sixteen games in the two years before last year's anomoly where he scored ten TDs with that Super Bowl supporting cast. And Reuben Droughn's production fell off the second Frye took over, average per carrry fell to 3 yards per carry from over 4 the last five games. Carthon/Crennel blaimed it on him being overworked, unhuh. I wouldn't be counting on any skill positions from the Browns next year but that is my humble opinion.
You know, you make a lot of valid points.OTOH, if Frye can manage to just be respectable without Braylon, that bodes well for the future.

KW2 might finally be healthy.

I don't own Frye in any leagues, but I must say, right around week 3, I'll be looking to acquire him.

hopefully that D starts getting nasty.

Braylon/Northcutt/Jurevicius would've been a pretty decent corps.

Northcutt/Jurevicius/Jackson i'm not digging so much.

i understand Savage thought Bryant wasn't worth the money, but you kinda gotta wonder about that decision with talk of Edwards going PUP.

Bryant/Northcutt/Jurevicius wouldn't have been terrible, imo.

although they probably wouldn't have signed JJ, so it would've been Bryant/Northcutt/Jackson which isn't so hot either i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always 3rd or 4th in estimation of the team, but finished as their top WR twice in the past three years. Even then, he's almost worthless in FF, finishing 45th or so among WRs.
I would say that was virtually impossible if it hadnt actually happened. Man the Browns have been terrible. How can your most productive reciever consistantly not be worth having on most fantasy teams?

Users who are viewing this thread