What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NY Gubernatorial candidate Lee Zeldin attacked by man with knife (not injured) (1 Viewer)

Thread seems a bit quiet considering someone just tried to stab a gubernatorial candidate.
I wonder, why?  You would think another act of political violence would be ripe for a lot of commentary on this board.

The fact this lunatic has already been released shows what a train-wreck some of these new bail reforms and other new rules are (as well as these nut job DA’s)…I can not believe any sane human thinks this guy should be on the street almost immediately after trying to kill someone.

Weird angle on the video posted; makes it hard to see exactly where the security was and what they were/weren't doing.

I did notice this from the article: "Zeldin is an Army Reserve lieutenant colonel..."  May have picked the wrong guy to mess with?

In any case, this stuff needs to stop.  Civilized people don't threaten our political figures, we vote them out.

Kavanaugh, Jayapal, now this guy  Somebody is going to get killed.
Yup…both sides have their lunatics but unfortunately the amount of rage on either side seems to be based on which team member perpetrated the act…anyone who thinks it is ok to protest outside of private residences is part of the problem here and quite frankly not thinking clearly…obviously this one did not happen like that but it is just a matter of time.

Terrible. 

But we have to keep remembering that most people are good, most people aren’t insane or evil and don’t do this sort of thing. 
I agree but we also need to remember the ones that are need to be treated like the criminals they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder, why?  You would think another act of political violence would be ripe for a lot of commentary on this board.

The fact this lunatic has already been released shows what a train-wreck some of these new bail reforms and other new rules are (as well as these nut job DA’s)…I can not believe any sane human thinks this guy should be on the street almost immediately after trying to kill someone.
They aren’t talking about it because the corrupted sycophantic leftist media is ignoring it.

Not every crazy who attacks a prominent liberal is a conservative, and not every crazy who attacks a prominent conservative is a liberal. I don’t think either side needs to take ownership of these people. 
It's not a "side" thing.  We, collectively, are creating a culture in which partisan politics is way too central to too many people's identities and simultaneously training those people to be maximally intolerant toward others.  That's not a recipe for a healthy, non-violent society.

It's not a "side" thing.  We, collectively, are creating a culture in which partisan politics is way too central to too many people's identities and simultaneously training those people to be maximally intolerant toward others.  That's not a recipe for a healthy, non-violent society.
Agreed. But I’m not sure it’s either something new or wasn’t worse in the past. Political assassinations have a rather long history both in this country and elsewhere. 

Sure it is. Only one side fights states rights. 

Terrible. 

But we have to keep remembering that most people are good, most people aren’t insane or evil and don’t do this sort of thing. 

We need to quit minimizing it, as you're doing here.  We need people to understand that if they do something like this it will be met with extreme punishment.  This needs to be discouraged in the strongest way possible.

It's just so stupid. The issue many have with Republicans is the vile behavior of some of Trump supporters and acceptance of Trump's character flaws. So what does this idiot do? Exhibit behavior similar to the rioters on 1/6. 

First of all, very glad the Congressman is ok.

Well said on the bolded. But, we should be interested in learning the motives here as well before jumping to conclusions.

Not everything is as simple as "it must be the other side!". Ultimately, the guy who attached Congressman Zeldin is to blame for this. Not "sides".

Also, does every post have to be "X happened. The country is doomed!". 

First of all, very glad the Congressman is ok.

Well said on the bolded. But, we should be interested in learning the motives here as well before jumping to conclusions.

Not everything is as simple as "it must be the other side!". Ultimately, the guy who attached Congressman Zeldin is to blame for this. Not "sides".

Well, of course this one particular assailant might be a random John Hinkley-like nut.  That's possible.

I'm talking about the broader pattern.  And if you don't see a pattern forming here, I don't know what to tell you.  It's blindingly obvious to me.

Sure.  The US went through a period like this during the late 1960s and early 1970s.  
And 1930s. And 1890s. And 1860s. 

In retrospect its startling that we’ve had a relatively peaceful 50 years (since the 60s) instead of the usual 30 or so. We are a violent society, always have been. 

Well, of course this one particular assailant might be a random John Hinkley-like nut.  That's possible.

I'm talking about the broader pattern.  And if you don't see a pattern forming here, I don't know what to tell you.  It's blindingly obvious to me.
Yes, I agree, it's no good. No good at all. And I've stated that this behavior needs to be condemned in all of the related threads. But part of my point is that now we're just doing "sides". That's unhealthy. 

I never said this country is doomed.  I said I'm not optimistic for our future.  While this country may exist in 50-100 years it won't be the country it was founded to be.  I won't be around so it won't affect me directly but we're witnessing the slow deterioration of the greatest country that ever existed. 

Sure - there are a couple patterns.  One where nutjobs post locations of public officials enabling assasination attempts.  Another with DAs undercharging (how was this not attempted murder?) and then letting folks go free.  A concurrent example along with this are two gents who were let go on no bail after being caught with 150,000 fentanyl pills.  And, shockingly, they didn't show up for trial.

We need to quit minimizing it, as you're doing here.  We need people to understand that if they do something like this it will be met with extreme punishment.  This needs to be discouraged in the strongest way possible.
I don’t think I’m minimizing it. 
As to your other point I have no problem with strong punishment but each punishment needs to be decided separately, based on the specific circumstances. I don’t like the idea of collective punishments. 

Yep, brought to you buy @rcam and those who agreed with him.

All of those posters came from only one side of the aisle. 
Not that I get too wrapped up in this but folks are calling Congressional Police “glorified mall cops” belittling them for Jan 6th panicked calls where they feared for their lives.

In any case this attempted nut needs to go to prison. It is always odd to me that people stand and record with their phone when something like this is going on right in front of them. But I guess people are in a form of shock at what they are seeing.

I never said this country is doomed.  I said I'm not optimistic for our future.  While this country may exist in 50-100 years it won't be the country it was founded to be.  I won't be around so it won't affect me directly but we're witnessing the slow deterioration of the greatest country that ever existed. 
There’s no evidence of this. As I wrote: 1860s, 1890s, 1930s, 1960s. We are a violent society but it is cyclical. I reject your pessimism in the same way I reject the pessimism of the environmentalists. We have real problems in our society but we can and will solve them. 

Terrible.  But we have to keep remembering that most people are good, most people aren’t insane or evil and don’t do this sort of thing. 

TWEET: Kathy Hochul XX@XXKathyHochul

My team has informed me about the incident at Lee Zeldin's campaign event tonight. Relieved to hear that Congressman Zeldin was not injured and that the suspect is in custody. I condemn this violent behavior in the strongest terms possible — it has no place in New York.

6:44 PM  Jul 21, 2022

https://twitter.com/KathyHochul/status/1550295647865257984

TWEET / VIDEO:Andy Ngô XX@XX MrAndyNgo

Republican candidate for governor in New York, XX@XX leezeldin, was almost stabbed when a person jumped on the staged & pulled out a blade during an event in Perinton, NY today. https://twitter.com/Tr00peRR/status/1550291364511989760/video/1

FromThe Daily Sneed

7:44 PM Jul 21, 2022

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1550310788925202433

Close Up IMAGE of weapon

TWEET: Andy Ngô XX@XX MrAndyNgo

Governor, you seemed to dog-whistle support for vigilante direct action by repeatedly calling your political opponent a "dangerous" "far-right extremist." Now a man tried to stab XX@XX leezeldin at a campaign event with a bladed knuckles device.

8:03 PM  Jul 21, 2022

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1550315473778130945

TWEET / VIDEO: Kathy Hochul XX@XXKathyHochul

Meet Lee Zeldin, the far-right extremist that the Republicans just nominated for governor. Despite what he might try to sell you, the facts speak for themselves: he is dangerous for New York.

Too Extreme

12:59 PM  Jun 29, 2022

https://twitter.com/KathyHochul/status/1542236371477307392

TWEET:Andy Ngô XX@XX MrAndyNgo

Hours before the attempted stabbing of XX@XX leezeldin , her office sent out a mass email with locations he would be at & a call that her supporters RSVP for each event.

8:16 PM  Jul 21, 2022

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1550318862457077760

IMAGE 1 Of Hochul Press Release Calling Zeldin a "MAGA Republican" pushing "dangerous lies" and a "far right agenda"

IMAGE 2 of Hochul Press Release Directing People To Zeldin's Campaign Events citing his alleged "election fraud" , "extreme pro gun" and against "keeping contraceptives legal"

Hochul said -“‘Big Lie’ Lee and his entourage of extremists kick off the statewide ‘MAGA Republican’ Bus Tour, which will make stops across the state peddling dangerous lies, misinformation, and his far-right agenda.....”

Hochul said that Zeldin - “will be joined by top anti-abortion advocates, NRA enthusiasts, and a cast of extremist groups....”

Hochul urged her supporters - “RSVP to hear about Zeldin’s ‘Election Integrity Task Force,’ and his recent election fraud scandal in which his campaign photocopied over 11,000 duplicate petition signatures....”

https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/804706-disturbing-splc-poll-on-partisanship-violence-attempted-assassination-of-hor-democrat-jayapal-61722-1021-pst/?do=findComment&comment=24111139

timschochet Posted Saturday at 10:48 AM

GG blames Democrats for creating an atmosphere in which political assassination is acceptable. He’s done that before, and this time he uses the threat to a liberal to demonstrate that conservatives will not be the only victims of irresponsible rhetoric by Democrats is allowed to continue. BR essentially agrees with GG.  Both opinions are, in a word, ridiculous, and not worthy of even the short time it took me to summarize them. 

OK Tim. 

Do you think Hochul is relieved that Zeldin is not hurt. Or is she relieved that if he was stabbed multiple times but survived, that it would have turned multiple voting blocks against her and caused many of her big dollar donors to pull out?

TWEET: Kathy Hochul XX@XXKathyHochul

My team has informed me about the incident at Lee Zeldin's campaign event tonight. Relieved to hear that Congressman Zeldin was not injured and that the suspect is in custody. I condemn this violent behavior in the strongest terms possible — it has no place in New York.

6:44 PM  Jul 21, 2022

https://twitter.com/KathyHochul/status/1550295647865257984
Her silence since speaks volumes about what she thinks of releasing her opponent's attempted assassin.

For example, I am all in favor of various dimensions of criminal justice reform: decriminalize most drugs, demilitarize police forces, scale back qualified immunity, reduce or eliminate jail sentences for non-violent crimes, take steps to end pretextual traffic stops, etc.  

What did we actually get from the George Floyd saga?  A system where people try to assassinate political figures and are released on their own recognizance.  If you were intentionally trying to make US society coarser and more violent, this is exactly that type of thing you would do.  It's not literally intentional on the part of policy-makers, but it's as if it was.

I am firmly against people stabbing other people regardless of political affiliation.

Stabbing is bad.

Stabbers should be locked up.

Anyone who supports stabbing is a bad person.

But do you denounce what this guy did?😁
Yes.

Stabbing another person goes against my personal human interaction etiquette. I officially denounce the stabbing discussed in this thread, and further, I oppose all stabbings (other than stabbings that occur during self-defense.)

When renewing my driver’s license and registering to vote I consistently check the NO box next to the question: Do you support stabbings?

I just want to be clear. I am against stabbings.

I know we all have different bars, but for this one, I'll say calling someone dangerous and then telling people where and when he will be somewhere. 
I don’t want anyone creating violence, and I’m sure somewhere in there we can find the line between free speech and condoning violence.

If this example is your line or bar, then Trump should be in prison for life.

I don’t want anyone creating violence, and I’m sure somewhere in there we can find the line between free speech and condoning violence.

If this example is your line or bar, then Trump should be in prison for life.
I must have missed when Trump did it. 

Users who are viewing this thread