What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NYC sucker-puncher. He’s in jail. He’s out of jail. He’s back in jail… (1 Viewer)

ekbeats

Footballguy
The New York City sex offender who was initially accused of attempted murder for sucker-punching — and critically injuring — a stranger was allowed to walk free on Thursday after his charges were downgraded, according to a report.

Bui Van Phu, a 55-year-old homeless man, was released without bail during a Thursday court appearance, after his attempted murder charge was replaced with misdemeanor third-degree assault and second-degree harassment, according to the Daily Mail. Phu’s charges were downgraded because he "'intentionally (caused) physical injury and with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person," according to the report.
The parolee and previously convicted sex offender was reportedly placed on supervised release.

The New York Police Department captured footage of Phu’s alleged Aug. 12 assault. According to police, the victim was with a group of people in front of 163 E 188 St in the Bronx around 10:45 p.m. when the suspect attacked.

NYC sucker punch assault suspect Bui Van Phu is a convicted sex offender. (NYPD)
Video showed the man, who wore gloves, approaching the stranger from behind and sucker-punching him in the head, causing the victim to fall to the pavement. Police said the attack was unprovoked and the victim and his assailant are not believed to have known each other.

The victim suffered a broken skull, a broken cheek bone and a brain bleed, police said. He was rushed to a local hospital, where he is in critical but stable condition.

Phu reportedly has an extensive criminal history, according to multiple local reports.

Last edited:
I don't really understand this one at all. The police charged him with attempted murder, but the DA evaluated the evidence and reduced the charges to assault and harassment. But the guy confessed. What more evidence do they need? Since he was out on parole, why wouldn't his parole just be revoked?

Phu allegedly confessed the crime to his parole officer, according to the complaint against him.

“I hit someone and he’s in the hospital. I don’t know if he’s dead,” he told the officer, according to the complaint. “The police are looking for me.”

Bronx DA's office backpedaling as fast as it can:

“As the investigation continues, it will be determined if elevated charges will be brought against the defendant,” the DA’s Office added.

What investigation needs to occur? He confessed, it's on video, and the victim is in a coma. Seems like the investigation is complete.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC

“As the investigation continues, it will be determined if elevated charges will be brought against the defendant,” the DA’s Office added.

What investigation needs to occur? He confessed, it's on video, and the victim is in a coma. Seems like the investigation is complete.
The taxicab driver murder was horrible optics for the DA also.

The taxicab driver murder was horrible optics for the DA also.
Different DA. Taxicab driver was Queens. Sucker punch guy was the Bronx.

Don’t know anything about this incident other then the info provided here. With that said this situation makes no sense to me. Don‘t at all understand the charges being reduced.

And the guy was on parole for raping a 17 year old girl.

Liberals have completely destroyed the Justice system. And they wonder why 80 million people vote for an *** like Trump.

That's such a good point. The criminal justice system was a well-oiled machine prior to the last two years.
Why do you feel the need to defend this crap? Are you that feeble-minded where you can’t at all be critical of your side?

I don't think so.

Whoknew’s post is a perfect example of why so many people inside and outside this forum have no respect for the hardcore liberals in here.
Because you blame everything bad on liberals?
His point was a good one…to claim the criminal justice system is so screwed up only because of liberals (and calling people feeble minded ). Pretty bad points you are making.

Why do you feel the need to defend this crap? Are you that feeble-minded where you can’t at all be critical of your side?
You really need to detach from conservative media. It's rotting you.
I watch/read equal amounts of Liberal and Conservative media. The problem here is yours. You should be just as outraged as any conservative about this. But instead you play politics and decide to shift the focus to conservative media, as if that’s the problem. It’s disgusting and doesn’t reflect well on you. No get your rocks off with another laugh emoji.

Whoknew’s post is a perfect example of why so many people inside and outside this forum have no respect for the hardcore liberals in here.
Because you blame everything bad on liberals?
His point was a good one…to claim the criminal justice system is so screwed up only because of liberals (and calling people feeble minded ). Pretty bad points you are making.
I just cited three or four liberal policies that are directly tied to the rise in crime. So you told me, what conservative policies have contributed to the complete breakdown of our Justice system?
Except you didn’t actually name any policies. Defund the police isn’t really a policy that has really done that. You just claim it as some major policy that did all this. Claims of Soros DAs and all that.
You are basically just repeating the ring wing talking points and slinging insults at people (apparently two threads were needed for this today?)

I watch/read equal amounts of Liberal and Conservative media. The problem here is yours. You should be just as outraged as any conservative about this. But instead you play politics and decide to shift the focus to conservative media, as if that’s the problem. It’s disgusting and doesn’t reflect well on you..
Whatever, dude. Keep trying to convince yourself you're down the middle while parroting what you hear from Fox.

Want to know why I'm laughing at you? Because you don't say a word about this garbage: https://floridapolitics.com/archives/548917-miguel-tweet/
That's conservatives on law enforcement.

“Under my plan, all Floridians will be able to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF, and all other federal troops on sight,” Miguel tweeted. “Let freedom ring.”

Nice country conservatives are building. Congrats.

You're smart enough to know how stupid that sounds.

And the guy was on parole for raping a 17 year old girl.

Liberals have completely destroyed the Justice system. And they wonder why 80 million people vote for an *** like Trump.
Truth
Let’s pretend for a second that the justice system has been completely destroyed. How would it make sense to “fix it” by electing a guy who doesn’t follow laws?

I watch/read equal amounts of Liberal and Conservative media. The problem here is yours. You should be just as outraged as any conservative about this. But instead you play politics and decide to shift the focus to conservative media, as if that’s the problem. It’s disgusting and doesn’t reflect well on you. No get your rocks off with another laugh emoji.
You're turning into jon_mx. it's not a good look and it kills your credibility.

Weird it was a liberal governor that had this guy arrested and jailed. She must not have gotten the memo.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
You're turning into jon_mx. it's not a good look and it kills your credibility.
Yeah, really really bad day. Apologies to you, Sho and Cap’n. Tried to clean up the pollution. Unfortunately can’t purge threads anymore or I would have.

To blame this act of violence on liberals is cowardly.

How is it cowardly? He literally started an entire thread on it which you're in and responding with your passive aggressive posting style.

And don't you think the coward is the guy with the passive-aggressive posting style (i.e., you)?

Last edited:
Lol. I think it is reasonable to blame the act on liberals. But at least open to debate.

What isn't up for debate is that downgrading and letting him out was 100% the fault of liberals.
All liberals? 1 liberal? How many? Just trying to understand how much responsibility all liberals in this forum have for the situation.
I apologize for my part of this singular violent act.

What is the explanation for cities run by conservative mayors and conservative DA's having high violent crime rates? Tulsa, for example, is in the top 50 most dangerous metro areas in the country. Not a liberal in charge of anything. Why are the highest murder rates in conservative, rural states?

Upon much reflection I THINK I am in support of what George Soros is doing here. Though I’ve long been a fan of Soros I wasn’t sure about his support for progressive DAs and law enforcement officials. But these folks are trying to reform our criminal Justice system, which is desperately in need of it. We have far too many incarcerated people and the system as it stands does not work; it addition it still, after all these years, leads to racist outcomes.

Now the problem with any reform of this sort is that it’s going to create terrible anecdotes: some really bad guys are going to get out of prison early, and commit new awful crimes. These crimes will be publicized and the backlash against these liberal DAs and Soros will be bad. And we see this happening and this thread is an example. But that being said, I still think the reforms are worthwhile.

Upon much reflection I THINK I am in support of what George Soros is doing here. Though I’ve long been a fan of Soros I wasn’t sure about his support for progressive DAs and law enforcement officials. But these folks are trying to reform our criminal Justice system, which is desperately in need of it. We have far too many incarcerated people and the system as it stands does not work; it addition it still, after all these years, leads to racist outcomes.

Now the problem with any reform of this sort is that it’s going to create terrible anecdotes: some really bad guys are going to get out of prison early, and commit new awful crimes. These crimes will be publicized and the backlash against these liberal DAs and Soros will be bad. And we see this happening and this thread is an example. But that being said, I still think the reforms are worthwhile.

Who Suffers the Most From Crime Wave?

From 2011 to 2020 the percentage of violent crime victims who were black increased by 3.2% to reach a peak of 32.7% in 2020. By contrast, the percentage of total victims who were white steadily declined from 69.1% to 64.7% over the same period.

When we look at homicide specifically, we see similar trends. The percentage of total victims who were black rose 2.9% to 54.4% in 2020. For white victims, the percentage fell 3.5% to 43.3% over the same period.

Weird it was a liberal governor that had this guy arrested and jailed. She must not have gotten the memo.
Why did she have him arrested? not for the actual crime, but for a parole violation.

link us to some crime in R led cities and we’ll discuss them. I’ll bet they don’t let them out after 2 hours though. You may have to look a little for those crimes since most of the cities are led by D’s and are being influenced more by Soros- backed DA’s.

Lol. I think it is reasonable to blame the act on liberals. But at least open to debate.

What isn't up for debate is that downgrading and letting him out was 100% the fault of liberals.
All liberals? 1 liberal? How many? Just trying to understand how much responsibility all liberals in this forum have for the situation.
Obviously only the liberals that support it…I guess that was a rhetorical question? If it wasn’t supported it wouldn’t be happening. Here’s one:

Look at the stats, including those posted here. They’ve been getting worse, coinciding with this wave of more liberal criminal policies and anti-police sentiment. The unimaginably ridiculous individual cases simply support the data.

And it’s disproportionately affecting people of color, when you cut through all the noise benefit the most from policing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread