What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oakland Athletics bandwagon (1 Viewer)

Spaz

Footballguy
Lots and lots of room so grab a seat or two, stretch out a bit and the snack car will be along shortly.

Ben Sheets believes...this team has a lot of youngsters. If a couple of them step up this year and our young pitchers build from last year we have the potential to be a dark horse wild card contender.

:bye:

Lots of smoke coming out that the A's are sniffing around Damon. If they land him I think we have a serious shot at the division.

I really like what the A's are doing. That staff might be another year away from achieving it's potential, but it should still be very good right now. And it looks like they are starting to finally pay attention to defense.

The West should be pretty competitive this year.

The A’s are targeting a left-handed hitting outfielder, but it’s not Johnny Damon.

The team is in serious discussions with free agent Gabe Gross on a one- year contract, according to major-league sources.

Gross, 30, spent last season and most of 2008 with the Rays. He is

considered an above-average defender and decent threat against right-

handed pitching, though his numbers last season were down across the

board.

The A’s almost certainly will use Gross as a reserve, seemingly

leaving them with the option of adding Damon.

However, there have been no recent talks between the A’s and Damon’s

representatives, a source said.

Gross is a career .239 hitter with a .337 on-base percentage and .399

slugging percentage.

Looks like Gross is in the truck.

Can't wait to watch the 1-0 (12 inn.) games betw. Seattle and Oakland next year.

Limp Ditka said:
A's just traded for Willie Tavares?Certainly not the ideal moneyball player.
I'm not so sure about this one but I'll give Beane benefit of the doubt.I think our chances of acquiring Damon are now slim and none.

Bob Loblaw said:
Did I hear it right that the A's have already released Willy Tavares?
He was DFAed the day of the trade. The A's are on the hook for his $4M salary.

Ben Sheets' line today

Code:
Oakland IP H R ER BB SO HR Sheets  0.0 8 10 9 1 0 1
He's just shaking off the rust, trying out some new stuff - you know, nothing to worry about.Excuse me while I redistribute a few $$s...

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, how do we feel about Michael Taylor? He's a bit old for a prospect, but the A's haven't exactly assembled a cast of world beaters ahead of him.

Anyone have the goods on this Tyson Ross kid. Was perusing box scores and saw he fanned 7 in 3 IP yesterday. Got my attention.

Jack Cust DFAed and he's not happy about it

"I think it's messed up," Cust said in a phone interview with The Chronicle after leaving the stadium. "They're going to go on 50 at-bats after three years of what I've done here? It's ridiculous. A lot of other guys have had bad springs. This is a joke."The fact is, this team has no power and they've just released a guy who (averaged 28 homers) the last three years. That's amazing."
Coco Crisp on the DL with a broken pinkie. Travis Buck stays in the show.

Eephus said:

"I think it's messed up," Cust said in a phone interview with The Chronicle after leaving the stadium. "They're going to go on 50 at-bats after three years of what I've done here? It's ridiculous. A lot of other guys have had bad springs. This is a joke."The fact is, this team has no power and they've just released a guy who (averaged 28 homers) the last three years. That's amazing."
He was awful last year. To say it was just 50 spring AB's is silly.

Eephus said:

He was awful last year. To say it was just 50 spring AB's is silly.
Awful? :no:25 HRs/70 RBI/.356 OPB and 88 runs scored.

Last edited by a moderator:
pantagrapher said:
Anyone have the goods on this Tyson Ross kid. Was perusing box scores and saw he fanned 7 in 3 IP yesterday. Got my attention.
Does this guy have any chance at closing if Bailey slips? Seems like he's got the stuff.
It could happen but it's unlikely he'd be next in line. Zeigler or Blevins would be more likely next in line. This kid looks very good though.

pantagrapher said:
Does this guy have any chance at closing if Bailey slips? Seems like he's got the stuff.
It could happen but it's unlikely he'd be next in line. Zeigler or Blevins would be more likely next in line. This kid looks very good though.
Joey Devine could be in the mix too if he comes back strong

Somebody get the OP to update the subtitle to mention the fact they're in first place.

I'm firing up the Dallas Braden bandwagon.

Joey Devine could be in the mix too if he comes back strong
Looks like that's not gonna happen.

Users who are viewing this thread