What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oculus Quest / VR et al (2 Viewers)

I've been curious about these for years.  How are the graphics?  I've never seen good "pictures" online of what to expect.  I'm envisioning graphics ~10 years behind where 2D console games are now.  

Check for cheaper games purchased through the Oculus app for the Rift.  Some games are cross buy with the Quest (buy the Rift game, and it makes the Quest game "free").   

Got the Occulus Quest 2 last night and gotta say, it's pretty freakin' cool and I haven't much past the setup process. Only spent about half hour getting it ready but looking for game suggestions. Big fan of Fortnite until they told IOS users to #### off so Population: One is probably on the list. Like shooter games and freebies  :D Give me some ideas, thanks!

Checking in to see what cool stuff others might have discovered since getting one of these during the holidays. It's been awesome so far, for us. Wife and kids love Beat Saber (wish there were more mainstream song packs), I've done Ep I & II of Vader Immortal (bought the 3 episode bundle for $20), we've played around with some the free levels of things like Roller Coaster simulator, etc., and either Walking Dead or Creed might be the next game we get. 

Also, any experience/tips casting? Figured out how to cast on our big screen in the family room through the Fire Stick with the Air Screen app, but it's very lagged and freezes/doesn't cast most of the time. 

I forget the name but there is a fun family game that’s like charades, you take turns using the VR and an iPhone.  So you use the VR to use props to act if our, and they see it on the phone screen 

The Noid said:
Checking in to see what cool stuff others might have discovered since getting one of these during the holidays. It's been awesome so far, for us. Wife and kids love Beat Saber (wish there were more mainstream song packs), I've done Ep I & II of Vader Immortal (bought the 3 episode bundle for $20), we've played around with some the free levels of things like Roller Coaster simulator, etc., and either Walking Dead or Creed might be the next game we get. 

Also, any experience/tips casting? Figured out how to cast on our big screen in the family room through the Fire Stick with the Air Screen app, but it's very lagged and freezes/doesn't cast most of the time. 
we cast thought our Xbox and its been good so far. Had to buy a special app for the XB but it was cheap and worth it. 

I'm not much of a gamer, but I've been enjoying the TV/Film content. Been on stage at Lion King, Blueman group and Beetlejuice the Musical, Walked around a German WW2 super bunker, some wildlife and space stuff, etc. 

Last edited by a moderator:

My son got the Vader game and finished it - said it was great.  His favorite game so far is SuperHot.  He also bought a shooter game - I can't recall the name - that he said is fun but very difficult.  I tried one of the roller coaster demos, sitting in a chair, and got sick within a minute or so, had to take it off.  I was still sick to my stomach a couple hours later and haven't tried the Quest again since.  He's loving it - great gift for him this year.

2MD Football is fun.  The roller coaster game and Ultrawings gave me some motion sickness. 

What's this like on your body physically, specifically your neck?  Are quick, or wide ranging, head/neck motions common?  Feel heavy on your head/neck?  

Just picked up a Quest 2 last week. Climb 2 is a game that hasn’t been mentioned here that is super cool imo.

I bought a 3rd party strap and after swapping it out, we all feel it's not as clear. I have cleaned the lenses (with dry cloth as suggestion) but it just doesn't seem right. 

Any suggestions? 

Also, bought the Walking Dead game a week or so ago with the coupon and couldn't play it more than 5 minutes without feeling sick. First game I ran into that problem.

I bought a 3rd party strap and after swapping it out, we all feel it's not as clear. I have cleaned the lenses (with dry cloth as suggestion) but it just doesn't seem right. 

Any suggestions? 

Also, bought the Walking Dead game a week or so ago with the coupon and couldn't play it more than 5 minutes without feeling sick. First game I ran into that problem.
Might need to move the lenses further apart or closer together?

The face padding and the strap that has the tightener on it is a must IMO.  

Same here with TWD.  Occulus has a great return policy though.   There's another zombie shooter called Drop Dead (I think).  It's more cheesy, but it's fun and cheap.  It's a rail shooter so I didn't get motion sick at all. 

Might need to move the lenses further apart or closer together?

The face padding and the strap that has the tightener on it is a must IMO.  

Same here with TWD.  Occulus has a great return policy though.   There's another zombie shooter called Drop Dead (I think).  It's more cheesy, but it's fun and cheap.  It's a rail shooter so I didn't get motion sick at all. 
That is the one I purchased but, like I said, it doesn't look as clear since swapping it out. I have also tried adjusting the lenses. No idea.

Anyone play Demeo? Great game for multiplayer if you like those old dungeon crawler games or are a D&D fan

Bump for Christmas. Looking to grab one for my 12-year-old.

Is the Oculus 2 still the best platform?

Would it be worth it to get 2, for multiplayer games?

Saw Target and Amazon are selling them for Black Friday at $300 with a $50 gift card included, that can be used on a future purchase.

Occulus quest is self contained.  
Huh? So I know the oculus has their own store and games but I do know you must have a PC to play a lot of the bigger games such as FO4 (stuff on Steam).

The headset/goggles are wireless and everything streams from your PC to your headset (for the games on Steam) 

You are saying that is not the case?

Huh? So I know the oculus has their own store and games but I do know you must have a PC to play a lot of the bigger games such as FO4 (stuff on Steam).

The headset/goggles are wireless and everything streams from your PC to your headset (for the games on Steam) 

Occulus Quest needs no other hardware. 

Occulus quest is self contained.  

You are correct.

It is self contained in that you do not need a PC at all with the Oculus Quest (Quest 2 now). There are a lot of games/apps/etc in the Oculus store. Plenty to keep most people/kids occupied, and there's more added all the time. 

However, you can, as an option, branch out and play things like Fallout VR or Skyrim VR or some the other things on Steam. You DO need a decent PC to do this. It connects to the Oculus via cable or wirelessly with either a paid Oculus app, or the free steam one (I used the free one - works fine) 

Saw Target and Amazon are selling them for Black Friday at $300 with a $50 gift card included, that can be used on a future purchase.
Took advantage of this on Amazon but already leaning towards returning it. The motion sickness I have been getting from just the menu screen makes me feel that games and videos will be unplayable for me.

how is watching video like 360 youtubes or a movie..  or the apps where you can tour the world like a google earth or something....  or watch a concert or something... that worth the purchase?

So if I’ve got a good gaming PC, I would want to get the quest 2 and I can still play the games normally available on the rift as long as I hook the quest up to my PC, right? 

Kid wants one and I want to be able to play Half-Life: Alyx

Moe. said:
So if I’ve got a good gaming PC, I would want to get the quest 2 and I can still play the games normally available on the rift as long as I hook the quest up to my PC, right? 

Kid wants one and I want to be able to play Half-Life: Alyx

Somebody will correct me if Im wrong but...

The rift is a previous version and no longer sold.

The Oculus Quest 2 is the most recent and available. There are two versions, a 128gb and 256 gb versions.

Both versions play games on their own platform without a PC. (Think of buying games on the Wii store or xboxonline) 

To play other VR games that are outside the Oculus' in house library you will need a PC and a special wire (I think its like $80). 

Somebody will correct me if Im wrong but...

The rift is a previous version and no longer sold.

The Oculus Quest 2 is the most recent and available. There are two versions, a 128gb and 256 gb versions.

Both versions play games on their own platform without a PC. (Think of buying games on the Wii store or xboxonline) 

To play other VR games that are outside the Oculus' in house library you will need a PC and a special wire (I think its like $80). 

To that last point, no, you do not need a special cable. Your Quest 2 can hook to your PC via WiFi. You do need an app to do this. There is a paid one (like $20 or $30) that Oculus offers, and a free one that Steam offers. I use the steam one, and it works fine.

There are some caveats that could affect performance: they say  your PC needs to be hardwired to your router. Mine is, so I do not know how well it works otherwise. They also say a Mesh system is not optimal. I dunno  - that's what I have and it works fine.   

Just got one of these for my daughter. How does this work for someone who wears glasses?

Took advantage of this on Amazon but already leaning towards returning it. The motion sickness I have been getting from just the menu screen makes me feel that games and videos will be unplayable for me.
I get motion sickness very easily. I don't ride rides, I can't sit in the back of a car....nothing.

That being said, I handle this pretty well. Some things are worse than others. Tried the Walking Dead game and shut it off within 10 seconds. But most everything else has been tolerable and fun.

I get motion sickness very easily. I don't ride rides, I can't sit in the back of a car....nothing.

That being said, I handle this pretty well. Some things are worse than others. Tried the Walking Dead game and shut it off within 10 seconds. But most everything else has been tolerable and fun.

Have you guys tried those sea-band things? My daughter uses them with great success. 

Have you guys tried those sea-band things? My daughter uses them with great success. 
Never heard of them, but I will give it a whirl for sure.

Haven't had much time to mess with it to be fair (another reason why I am leaning towards returning it, not like I will get much more time going forward). But I plan to give it another chance over the holidays, I can still return it by end of January if it doesn't work out. Saw a golf game that I am interested in. If I can't handle the motion in that one, probably fair to say that I should hang them up and stick with my emulator.

Never heard of them, but I will give it a whirl for sure.
The sea-bands are very inexpensive. They are just little wristbands with what looks like a anti-theft device similar to what you would see on clothing. That part puts a tiny bit of pressure on your pulse vein (<- :shrug:  ). 

There are also electronic versions that cost several hundred dollars but since she hasn’t had any issues we never looked into them. Before using these she couldn’t go 10 minutes in a car w/o losing her lunch. 

GL! 

The only game that gave me some motion sickness is Star Wars Squadrons.  It's amazing, and exactly what I always wanted to exist... but I'm not any good at keeping my bearings and I get a little woozy.  I haven't had a problem with the Doom game or any other games I've played, just this one.

Any quandaries with the whole Facebook thing? 
Yeah I’m not happy about that.  Since we aren’t on FB anymore we’re just going to make a generic FB page. This is only a one off for me. If I want to go hard in the paint in a few years I will get a different model that doesn’t have anything to do with that weirdo Zuckerberg. 

That Golf+ game is kind of lame.   The putting can be a little difficult/fun, but there's no challenge with other clubs which makes it less fun/realistic.  

cockroach said:
That Golf+ game is kind of lame.   The putting can be a little difficult/fun, but there's no challenge with other clubs which makes it less fun/realistic.  
Yeah I got it with my first app purchase discount, kinda fun but seems like it would get boring really quick. If someone of my friends get a set for Christmas and we can play H2H, might keep it around.

Plus side is no motion sickness with this one!

cockroach said:

I think it's worth the $20. The feeling of lining up the club / putting / etc. is pretty good. In terms of "fun", it's right there with a simulator imho.  

This thing is incredibly dope! Zuckerberg is an evil genius. Haven't tried any of the really graphics intensive games that need to be hooked up to the computer, but ended up buying like 7 games already this morning.

If the novelty of this doesn't wear off, I can see never leaving my house again.

This thing is incredibly dope! Zuckerberg is an evil genius. Haven't tried any of the really graphics intensive games that need to be hooked up to the computer, but ended up buying like 7 games already this morning.

If the novelty of this doesn't wear off, I can see never leaving my house again.
Same. I bought like $100 worth of games and I’m having a blast. Totally immersive. I can get into this. So much potential.

Users who are viewing this thread