What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL**** 2008 Washington Redskins Off Season Thread! (1 Viewer)

Well, at least this one starts a little later than the previous one, but all who love the Burgundy and Gold (and those who hate them) can agather here to discuss the comings and goings at Redskins Park and the travels of Redskins One.
as a Giants fan, I hope you get Jim Fassell as HC.he's the absolute WORST head coach...get ready for the Fassell `Country Club ` Redskins..just hope he isn't hired as HC, thats all I can say to Redskins fans..
I really don't get this sentiment. He took over a 6-10 Giants team and went 10-5-1 the very next year. In his fourth year he took a fairly mediocre team to the Super Bowl. He had a winning record in NY and made the playoffs in 3 out of 7 years. What exactly is bad about that?

While Grimm was my ideal hope before the search began, I'd feel much more comfortable with Fassel (looks inevitable) over Mora, Jr., and yes, Williams.

I actually will feel a lot better about Fassel, if he say Rex Ryan is there and even Jim Zorn. If they are already getting pieces in place...I feel hopeful. Note, not excited, but hopeful.

Though I have always liked Gibbs...the results on the field never really made me have a ton of confidence in the current staff. Greg Williams defense could dominate at times, but the fall to one of the worst D's two years ago w/ most of the same players...made me really wonder how good he was opposed to the players talent. Gibbs is a GREAT man and almost like a father figure, but clearly the game had kind of passed him by, but he surrounded himself w/ more coaches to assist. Al Saunders has worked wonders previously in his career, but for some reason...the Redskins offense looked to have an allergy to scoring TD's. So, I guess having someone else give new view or perspective is not half bad. Is Fassel ideal? No! Is Fassel w/ good assist coaches entertaining or better? Yes!

Apparently there are some snags in working things out with Ryan and Zorn. Link

League and team sources said yesterday afternoon that they expected Fassel would get the job, but as of late last night Redskins officials were still meeting to mull over their options, with no decision expected before today, a league source said. Members of the staff who have spoken to Williams recently said he doubts he would get the job, because he has not heard from team officials since his last interview last week.

After flying to Washington and interviewing with owner Daniel Snyder at his home, Zorn was expected to talk last night with Seahawks officials, who want to keep him on their staff. The Seahawks could promise to give him their offensive coordinator job when Coach Mike Holmgren retires, possibly after next season. That might be enough to persuade Zorn, a former Seahawks quarterback and a legendary figure in the city, to join fellow Seattle assistant Jim Mora in withdrawing his name from Redskins consideration.
Yep, this is a theater production now. They won't name a HC until the DC and OC are also in place. So negotiating problems with Zorn and Ryan are holding up hiring a coach. Absolutely ####### stupid. Just hire a head coach. Then hire coordinators. Other teams do it this way, including teams that finish ahead of Washington in the standings. Trying to work out all the details of all the hires before the first one is announced is childish. Are they then going to take bids for podiums to go at the news conference, and work that out before all the hires are announced as well?

The only other explanation besides "theatrical values" for wanting all the hires in place before announcing them is if they're thinking "We want Fassel, but only if we can get Ryan and Zorn too. If we can't get them we want Willaims."

If they're thinking that way they should be tarred and feathered.

I'm interviewing people now for the "tar" job. After that I'll interview "feathers" people. It'll all have to come together as good theater of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently there are some snags in working things out with Ryan and Zorn. Link

League and team sources said yesterday afternoon that they expected Fassel would get the job, but as of late last night Redskins officials were still meeting to mull over their options, with no decision expected before today, a league source said. Members of the staff who have spoken to Williams recently said he doubts he would get the job, because he has not heard from team officials since his last interview last week.

After flying to Washington and interviewing with owner Daniel Snyder at his home, Zorn was expected to talk last night with Seahawks officials, who want to keep him on their staff. The Seahawks could promise to give him their offensive coordinator job when Coach Mike Holmgren retires, possibly after next season. That might be enough to persuade Zorn, a former Seahawks quarterback and a legendary figure in the city, to join fellow Seattle assistant Jim Mora in withdrawing his name from Redskins consideration.
Yep, this is a theater production now. They won't name a HC until the DC and OC are also in place. So negotiating problems with Zorn and Ryan are holding up hiring a coach. Absolutely ####### stupid. Just hire a head coach. Then hire coordinators. Other teams do it this way, including teams that finish ahead of Washington in the standings. Trying to work out all the details of all the hires before the first one is announced is childish. Are they then going to take bids for podiums to go at the news conference, and work that out before all the hires are announced as well?

The only other explanation besides "theatrical values" for wanting all the hires in place before announcing them is if they're thinking "We want Fassel, but only if we can get Ryan and Zorn too. If we can't get them we want Willaims."

If they're thinking that way they should be shot.
They should be shot anyway. :confused:

I actually will feel a lot better about Fassel, if he say Rex Ryan is there and even Jim Zorn. If they are already getting pieces in place...I feel hopeful. Note, not excited, but hopeful.Though I have always liked Gibbs...the results on the field never really made me have a ton of confidence in the current staff. Greg Williams defense could dominate at times, but the fall to one of the worst D's two years ago w/ most of the same players...made me really wonder how good he was opposed to the players talent. Gibbs is a GREAT man and almost like a father figure, but clearly the game had kind of passed him by, but he surrounded himself w/ more coaches to assist. Al Saunders has worked wonders previously in his career, but for some reason...the Redskins offense looked to have an allergy to scoring TD's. So, I guess having someone else give new view or perspective is not half bad. Is Fassel ideal? No! Is Fassel w/ good assist coaches entertaining or better? Yes!
I don't like it because, alot of the parts are in place. Now how many guys won't restructure? Will Flecther wanna leave? If we where going to start all over. Why not give Cowher everything the he wanted, or what ever it took, to get him to comeback. Are there any Giants, that are Fassel guys? Strahan, Toomer? Did Synder take Fassel, because, Fassel can be a puppet? This is bad. BAD, BAD,BAD!!!!Soomething good however, Cerrato WAS NOT at Senior Bowl!!! But neither was Fassel. Zorn and Ryan where there!

I was gone all day yesterday, but my absence simply means that this thread hasn't hit its 11th page yet. :confused:

At this point I can only hope that we're either going with Williams or we're going to hire Spaguolo . . . two weeks from now. :rolleyes:

From a poster at Extremeskins:

Just got a call from my AFC North buddy. Nobody he has talked to at the Senior Bowl (and there are hundreds of scouts coaches and agents there) has heard anything concrete regarding our new coach. Of course, he said they have all heard the media reports of Fassel, Ryan and Zorn and people are completely shocked. He said he has seen alot of crazy stuff in his 7 + years in the NFL but he can't remember a decision that has received a unilateral gasp of shock/laughter like this.

There are alot of people saying alot of things. here is a major one: A group of scouts and front office people were sitting watching practice together discussing the rumors and a very high ranking official from the Eagles makes this comment: "For the last 4 years we finally had to start worrying about the Redskins as a threat on the field and that little ego-maniac is blowing it to pieces. I LOVE IT!!!" This was followed by laughter by the dozens of people that heard it.
I'm familiar with this poster over there and he and his friend - who appears to be affiliated with the Browns in some sort of scouting capacity - seem to be legit. This doesn't surprise me in the least.

Sporting News

The Washington Redskins late Wednesday denied reports that they are close to hiring Jim Fassel as their new head coach. ESPN.com quotes unnamed team sources as saying the club has not decided on Fassel to replace Joe Gibbs and that it might still interview assistant coaches from the Super Bowl teams. Such a delay could put Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo into contention. The Giants have denied other teams permission to speak with Spagnuolo while the Giants are still playing.

Reports also say assistant head coach-defense Gregg Williams remains a top candidate to replace Gibbs. The Washington Post, citing unnamed sources, reported early Wednesday on its website that a Fassel deal was close but that no contract had been finalized. Later Wednesday, the paper said the team had not scheduled a news conference to announce a coaching hiring.

I heard a guy from PFT on the Junkies this morning.

He said he's heard Williams thinks Gibbs only had limited success with Snyder and Cerrato getting the players he wanted, so Williams doesn't think he'd have a chance to get what he wants.

Thinks the Redskins would be crazy to decide on any coach until after interviewing Spagnuolo. He doesn't understand why the Falcons didn't wait.

Well, at least this one starts a little later than the previous one, but all who love the Burgundy and Gold (and those who hate them) can agather here to discuss the comings and goings at Redskins Park and the travels of Redskins One.
as a Giants fan, I hope you get Jim Fassell as HC.he's the absolute WORST head coach...get ready for the Fassell `Country Club ` Redskins..just hope he isn't hired as HC, thats all I can say to Redskins fans..
I really don't get this sentiment. He took over a 6-10 Giants team and went 10-5-1 the very next year. In his fourth year he took a fairly mediocre team to the Super Bowl. He had a winning record in NY and made the playoffs in 3 out of 7 years. What exactly is bad about that?
My impression is that Fassel is Norv-lite. By that I mean that he, like Norv had some initial success (and obviously more success than Norv did by getting to the Super Bowl), but over time his soft manner lost him the respect and control of the players, and that proved to be his downfall. Norv may be too harsh of a comparison now that I type that idea out, but anyway that seems to be what happened. I don't know that Fassel is a horrible head coaching candidate - using some Redskins history I'd liken him to Jack Pardee, who was neither good nor bad, as evidence by his 24-24 record. What I don't like about him is that he's a compromise who manages to fail to accomplish either of two main goals that I think the team should have in choosing its next coach: maintain as much stability and continuity as possible, and hire a guy who has a shot not just to be a decent coach for a short time, but a very good coach for a long time. To me, Williams' strength is on the first point, though he may be able to meet the criteria of the second given his age and hopefully the lessons learned under Gibbs; Spagnuolo would represent a shot at the second that forsakes the first goal almost totally, as there would be a makeover of the entire coaching staff at a minimum.

Secondhand report of what Comcast Sportsnet reported this morning, for what that's worth:

Per Kelli johnson, Jim Zorn is being offered huge money to stay in Seattle and likely will. Also the draft pick for Rex Ryan rumors appear to be false.

8 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)7 Members: redman, Bizkiteer, TankRizzo, ChrisCooleyFan, DCThunder, JaxBill, Mr. Jinx
I know not everyone in this thread is a 'Skins fan, but the mental image I have of us while this search lingers on is a group of men standing outside in the cold huddling around one of those oil drums that has a fire inside it, warming our hands together, waiting for news. :confused:

Secondhand report of what Comcast Sportsnet reported this morning, for what that's worth:

Per Kelli johnson, Jim Zorn is being offered huge money to stay in Seattle and likely will. Also the draft pick for Rex Ryan rumors appear to be false.
Oh yeah, the other thing the PFT guy said this morning was that teams can no longer trade picks for anything other than HC and GM, so they won't be trading a pick for Ryan.

I actually will feel a lot better about Fassel, if he say Rex Ryan is there and even Jim Zorn. If they are already getting pieces in place...I feel hopeful. Note, not excited, but hopeful.Though I have always liked Gibbs...the results on the field never really made me have a ton of confidence in the current staff. Greg Williams defense could dominate at times, but the fall to one of the worst D's two years ago w/ most of the same players...made me really wonder how good he was opposed to the players talent. Gibbs is a GREAT man and almost like a father figure, but clearly the game had kind of passed him by, but he surrounded himself w/ more coaches to assist. Al Saunders has worked wonders previously in his career, but for some reason...the Redskins offense looked to have an allergy to scoring TD's. So, I guess having someone else give new view or perspective is not half bad. Is Fassel ideal? No! Is Fassel w/ good assist coaches entertaining or better? Yes!
I don't like it because, alot of the parts are in place. Now how many guys won't restructure? Will Flecther wanna leave? If we where going to start all over. Why not give Cowher everything the he wanted, or what ever it took, to get him to comeback. Are there any Giants, that are Fassel guys? Strahan, Toomer? Did Synder take Fassel, because, Fassel can be a puppet? This is bad. BAD, BAD,BAD!!!!Soomething good however, Cerrato WAS NOT at Senior Bowl!!! But neither was Fassel. Zorn and Ryan where there!
Of course, I'd love Cowher much more and especially if he could get some of the people he had around him in PIT. I just don't think that he's an option. He probably doesn't think the Redskins organization is stable enough to want to even hear what Danny has to offer. So, I wouldn't caompare Fassel or anyone to him because I just don't think it's a fair comparison.As for some of the players leaving or not restructuring...they all realize in the end that this is a business. If they are getting paid good money that they are not sure they can get elsewhere...in the end that is the most important part for each of them. Again, I'm not a Fassel supporter...just will be more open to it, IF he comes with several experienced guys who show promise. I just don't want another Marvin Lewis situation where Rex Ryan comes and is DC for one year and then gets a HC gig.

redman said:
8 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 1 Anonymous Users)7 Members: redman, Bizkiteer, TankRizzo, ChrisCooleyFan, DCThunder, JaxBill, Mr. Jinx
I know not everyone in this thread is a 'Skins fan, but the mental image I have of us while this search lingers on is a group of men standing outside in the cold huddling around one of those oil drums that has a fire inside it, warming our hands together, waiting for news. :scared:
Don't forget the bottles in the paper bags. And don't bogart. :excited:

redman said:
I know not everyone in this thread is a 'Skins fan, but the mental image I have of us while this search lingers on is a group of men standing outside in the cold huddling around one of those oil drums that has a fire inside it, warming our hands together, waiting for news. :D
Don't forget the bottles in the paper bags. And don't bogart. ;)
:excited: :scared:

redman said:
Assani Fisher said:
My impression is that Fassel is Norv-lite. By that I mean that he, like Norv had some initial success (and obviously more success than Norv did by getting to the Super Bowl), but over time his soft manner lost him the respect and control of the players, and that proved to be his downfall. Norv may be too harsh of a comparison now that I type that idea out, but anyway that seems to be what happened. I don't know that Fassel is a horrible head coaching candidate - using some Redskins history I'd liken him to Jack Pardee, who was neither good nor bad, as evidence by his 24-24 record. What I don't like about him is that he's a compromise who manages to fail to accomplish either of two main goals that I think the team should have in choosing its next coach: maintain as much stability and continuity as possible, and hire a guy who has a shot not just to be a decent coach for a short time, but a very good coach for a long time. To me, Williams' strength is on the first point, though he may be able to meet the criteria of the second given his age and hopefully the lessons learned under Gibbs; Spagnuolo would represent a shot at the second that forsakes the first goal almost totally, as there would be a makeover of the entire coaching staff at a minimum.
Red, you make a REAL good point here. To be honest it really scares me too. Fassel is kind of like Norv and the thought of Norv or Norv Jr is just plain old scary. Bone chilling terror at that! I am one that is not in favor of Greg Williams though. I think he hasn't shown much in BUF and I wonder about him even as a DC. I pointed out before that I'd welcome Fassel if he came w/ experienced assist coaches, but don't want to see another Marvin Lewis situation where Rex Ryan comes to WAS for one year and then gets a HC gig after. What a mess...BTW - Move over a bit...I'm not getting any heat from the fire in the oil drum. :excited:

redman said:
I know not everyone in this thread is a 'Skins fan, but the mental image I have of us while this search lingers on is a group of men standing outside in the cold huddling around one of those oil drums that has a fire inside it, warming our hands together, waiting for news. :goodposting:
Maybe we need a :fireinanoildrum: smilie. :goodposting:

redman said:
I know not everyone in this thread is a 'Skins fan, but the mental image I have of us while this search lingers on is a group of men standing outside in the cold huddling around one of those oil drums that has a fire inside it, warming our hands together, waiting for news. :D
Maybe we need a :fireinanoildrum: smilie. :lmao:
In the meantime, this will have to do: :goodposting: :hot: :goodposting:

This whole episode has done nothing to convince me that Snyderrato employ any other means for scouting/personnel/hiring decisions than check messageboards, radio shows, blogs, and blog comments for public opinion to guide their decisions. This is all so completely ###-backwards. It is stunning they've been able to raise the absurdity bar even higher than they set it before.

Now, the famous Andyman on ES says the media knows absolutely nothing right now and that this chaos is unfounded and purely media-driven. Maybe there's something to that. I find it hard to believe, but who knows. The fact remains that this organization continues to defy convention and they think they're looking smart in doing it. It's embarrassing.

I was dead-set against Cowher but would gladly welcome him at this point. That's not going to happen. Williams obviously isn't getting the job and he'd be insane to take it even if it was offered. He has to have too much dignity for that. If it's somebody like Spagnuolo, great. I want them to go that route if they're going to blow it up. More than anything else, I want this to be over.

See all this BS gives creedence to my assertion yesterday that maybe Williams is the one who doesn't want the job the way Snyderatto envision it and they are trying to find someone who does. Gregg does sort of hold a decent hand, in that if he stands solid, Snyderatto will eventially come back to him and agree to HIS terms. If there is a snag with Fassel, who knows what that is. Maybe they wait to talk to Spagnolo, but suppose he turns them down or the G-men offer him a boatload of money to stay as Coughlin's heir apparent, especially if his defense shocks the world and beats the Pats in the SB.

See all this BS gives creedence to my assertion yesterday that maybe Williams is the one who doesn't want the job the way Snyderatto envision it and they are trying to find someone who does. Gregg does sort of hold a decent hand, in that if he stands solid, Snyderatto will eventially come back to him and agree to HIS terms. If there is a snag with Fassel, who knows what that is. Maybe they wait to talk to Spagnolo, but suppose he turns them down or the G-men offer him a boatload of money to stay as Coughlin's heir apparent, especially if his defense shocks the world and beats the Pats in the SB.
That would definitely throw a monkey wrench into the 'Skins plans.

Now, the famous Andyman on ES says the media knows absolutely nothing right now and that this chaos is unfounded and purely media-driven. Maybe there's something to that. I find it hard to believe, but who knows. The fact remains that this organization continues to defy convention and they think they're looking smart in doing it. It's embarrassing.
Andyman = Karl Swanson, in the team's PR/marketing dept. All you'll get from him is the company line here.

Andyman = Karl Swanson, in the team's PR/marketing dept. All you'll get from him is the company line here.
Confirmed?

Confirmed?
That's long been the speculation and it's pretty much universally accepted in the ES world.

Red, you make a REAL good point here. To be honest it really scares me too. Fassel is kind of like Norv and the thought of Norv or Norv Jr is just plain old scary. Bone chilling terror at that! I am one that is not in favor of Greg Williams though. I think he hasn't shown much in BUF and I wonder about him even as a DC. I pointed out before that I'd welcome Fassel if he came w/ experienced assist coaches, but don't want to see another Marvin Lewis situation where Rex Ryan comes to WAS for one year and then gets a HC gig after. What a mess...BTW - Move over a bit...I'm not getting any heat from the fire in the oil drum. :moneybag:
When we got Norv, he was Spagnulo, not Fassel. Fassel is more like hiring Norv when San Diego did. Now, I know the jury is far from out on Norv Turner 2008, but I do think it's clear that he's a better coach now than he was in 2000. A lot of bad things happened to the Chargers in the playoffs, and he still made some excellent playcalls (while his game management decisions still weren't his strong suit).I don't think we can assume that Fassel's weaknesses in the past will be his weakness with the Skins. Nor am I sure his failure with the Ravens means much as we have no idea how much leeway Offensive Genius and Extra Special Buddy Brian Billick gave him. I know I personally felt several times in the past three years that Boller was about to turn a corner and the Ravens cut him off at the knees every time.

Regardless, the rest of the press is pretty much COMPLETELY in the dark and he's got the inside word, not just speculation. Company line or not, it's more than what we hear from the likes of Schefter.That said, I just read his only relevant post since his absence and I got nothing out of it :moneybag:

Red, you make a REAL good point here. To be honest it really scares me too. Fassel is kind of like Norv and the thought of Norv or Norv Jr is just plain old scary. Bone chilling terror at that! I am one that is not in favor of Greg Williams though. I think he hasn't shown much in BUF and I wonder about him even as a DC. I pointed out before that I'd welcome Fassel if he came w/ experienced assist coaches, but don't want to see another Marvin Lewis situation where Rex Ryan comes to WAS for one year and then gets a HC gig after. What a mess...BTW - Move over a bit...I'm not getting any heat from the fire in the oil drum. :goodposting:
When we got Norv, he was Spagnulo, not Fassel. Fassel is more like hiring Norv when San Diego did. Now, I know the jury is far from out on Norv Turner 2008, but I do think it's clear that he's a better coach now than he was in 2000. A lot of bad things happened to the Chargers in the playoffs, and he still made some excellent playcalls (while his game management decisions still weren't his strong suit).I don't think we can assume that Fassel's weaknesses in the past will be his weakness with the Skins. Nor am I sure his failure with the Ravens means much as we have no idea how much leeway Offensive Genius and Extra Special Buddy Brian Billick gave him. I know I personally felt several times in the past three years that Boller was about to turn a corner and the Ravens cut him off at the knees every time.
You're a bit kinder to Norv than I am. The 2007 version of Norv - Norv 3.0 - inherited a 14-2 team with as much talent on the roster as any team in the NFL and won 11 games with them - three fewer than last year. The thing he should be proudest of, and rightfully so, are the two playoff wins, particularly the second one @ Indy with backups in the game. I also think the game @ NE was an excellent effort and is another feather in his cap. But again, I think it's still relatively easy to look good coaching that team. Anyway, I agree that when Norv was first hired, it was comparable to Spaguolo in that he was a hot, young assistant who was getting his first head coaching job with the hopes he'd turn out to be great. Joe Gibbs was the same way, as was Spurrier though he was hired from the college ranks. I have no problem with the hiring of Norv in 1994 - nothing ventured, nothing gained, and I've made clear my position that the best chance you have to find a great coach is to be the team that is the first to hire a young, untested coach. My complaint about the team's handling of Norv was its unreasonably long retention of him when the team was clearly not responding to him and taking the proverbial next step. He should have been fired after the 1997 season, or certainly after the 1998 season.

Regardless, the rest of the press is pretty much COMPLETELY in the dark and he's got the inside word, not just speculation. Company line or not, it's more than what we hear from the likes of Schefter.That said, I just read his only relevant post since his absence and I got nothing out of it :goodposting:
He'll occasionally give inside info, but invariably that info is fun and benign as to the team's interests (e.g. "big player signing announcement coming soon!"). No way in hell does he spill something that jeopardizes the team's plans here via a premature, unauthorized disclosure, especially on something as critical as a head coaching search.

anyone here know if Campbell will be or is projected to be ready for tthe regular season after his injury?
The expectation here is both that he'll be ready before training camp - likely working out during at least some of the mini-camps, and will enter next season as the starter. I think the vast majority of 'Skins fans would agree with me on that. Fortunately, his injury is non-surgical, and he was already making progress in rehab while the team was still playing, though he was still weeks away from being able to practice and play.

The latest from JLC's blog:

What Now?

Daniel Snyder and Vinny Cerrato met again late last night figuring their next plan of attack.

The attempt to land three coaches in one swoop, packaged together, does not look to feasible right now. Looks like the only way they get Baltimore Rex Ryan is by naming him head coach (he's telling people he's not leaving for a lateral move). The Seahawks want to keep QB Coach Jim Zorn and began conversations to that end last night. I see him as the next OC there when Coach Mike Holmgren walks in a year. The Redskins got deep into talks with Zorn, and these weren't coaches they were exploring hypothetically, like just to pair - or foist upon - any 'ol coach they might hire in the next 2 months.

Now, they could turn to other coordinator options who could work well with Fassel, but, again, many teams would block lateral moves (Jim Schwartz in Tennessee remains a name worth watching). They could still decide to give it to Fassel, solo for now, but that option is less appealing without the entire plan in place and the fan sentiment towards this candidate has been pointed. With no other openings, the Redskins know Fassel and Williams have nowhere to go right now, and they can be left hanging out there for a while.

So another mystery candidate could emerge, they could decide to hand it to Fassel or Williams - though as time passes it gets harder and harder to see them going that route - or they could wait until after the Super Bowl. The two most prominent names involved in the Big Game as assistants are Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo and Pats OC Josh McDaniels. The Redskins are the only team still with a HC vacancy, so it's not like anybody else would be interviewing these guys.

Gregg Williams remains on the back burner, sitting there, but people close to him don't expect him to be offered the job, and, after the way this thing has gone down, they're not sure Williams would even take it if offered. Jacksonville would love to hire him for its Defensive Coordinator opening, league sources said. Or he could depart Washington with a fat payday, take a year to pull a mini-Cowher and watch his kids play sports, and then size up offers in 2009.

They've definitely strung Williams along for far too long now. This has been a dicking over of Patrick Ramsey proportions.

I'm not too keen on Spagnola or McDaniels. Spag has quite possibly the best D-line in the league, and McD has Brady, Moss, et al. I'll take them any day over Fassel though.

You Redskins fans cant really be excited about the possibility of Fassell and Zorn as your offensive back bone can you?

You Redskins fans cant really be excited about the possibility of Fassell and Zorn as your offensive back bone can you?
What tipped you off, the near-rioting in the streets? :lmao: Zorn isn't someone I've paid much attention to, but apparently he's been an impressive up-and-comer in the assistant coaching ranks for a while, so much so that it appears that the Seahawks are aggressively trying to keep him on. Ironically, I'm far more interested in someone like Zorn being our head coach than someone like Fassel, though I think the best choice for a variety of reasons is Williams.

The latest from JLC's blog:

What Now?

Daniel Snyder and Vinny Cerrato met again late last night figuring their next plan of attack.

The attempt to land three coaches in one swoop, packaged together, does not look to feasible right now. Looks like the only way they get Baltimore Rex Ryan is by naming him head coach (he's telling people he's not leaving for a lateral move). The Seahawks want to keep QB Coach Jim Zorn and began conversations to that end last night. I see him as the next OC there when Coach Mike Holmgren walks in a year. The Redskins got deep into talks with Zorn, and these weren't coaches they were exploring hypothetically, like just to pair - or foist upon - any 'ol coach they might hire in the next 2 months.

Now, they could turn to other coordinator options who could work well with Fassel, but, again, many teams would block lateral moves (Jim Schwartz in Tennessee remains a name worth watching). They could still decide to give it to Fassel, solo for now, but that option is less appealing without the entire plan in place and the fan sentiment towards this candidate has been pointed. With no other openings, the Redskins know Fassel and Williams have nowhere to go right now, and they can be left hanging out there for a while.

So another mystery candidate could emerge, they could decide to hand it to Fassel or Williams - though as time passes it gets harder and harder to see them going that route - or they could wait until after the Super Bowl. The two most prominent names involved in the Big Game as assistants are Giants DC Steve Spagnuolo and Pats OC Josh McDaniels. The Redskins are the only team still with a HC vacancy, so it's not like anybody else would be interviewing these guys.

Gregg Williams remains on the back burner, sitting there, but people close to him don't expect him to be offered the job, and, after the way this thing has gone down, they're not sure Williams would even take it if offered. Jacksonville would love to hire him for its Defensive Coordinator opening, league sources said. Or he could depart Washington with a fat payday, take a year to pull a mini-Cowher and watch his kids play sports, and then size up offers in 2009.
Um, seriously... don't head coaches generally get to pick their own offensive and defensive coordinators? Are Snyder and Cerrato going to be hiring the new coaches' interior decorators too?Why would anybody take this ###### ####### job?

PS: If you're reading this Vinnie and Danny, I'm available.

What tipped you off, the near-rioting in the streets? :shrug: Zorn isn't someone I've paid much attention to, but apparently he's been an impressive up-and-comer in the assistant coaching ranks for a while, so much so that it appears that the Seahawks are aggressively trying to keep him on. Ironically, I'm far more interested in someone like Zorn being our head coach than someone like Fassel, though I think the best choice for a variety of reasons is Williams.
There has to be some type of internal problem with Williams and Snyder right? I just cant see breaking up the coaching staff and starting over as a good thing for a young offense. Seems like the Skins were right on the verge of something special.......as a Cowboys fan I dont mind seeing that taken down before it gets going any better....

What tipped you off, the near-rioting in the streets? :goodposting: Zorn isn't someone I've paid much attention to, but apparently he's been an impressive up-and-comer in the assistant coaching ranks for a while, so much so that it appears that the Seahawks are aggressively trying to keep him on. Ironically, I'm far more interested in someone like Zorn being our head coach than someone like Fassel, though I think the best choice for a variety of reasons is Williams.
There has to be some type of internal problem with Williams and Snyder right? I just cant see breaking up the coaching staff and starting over as a good thing for a young offense. Seems like the Skins were right on the verge of something special.......as a Cowboys fan I dont mind seeing that taken down before it gets going any better....
I'm with you - I don't understand what's going on, but I don't like how it's looking more and more likely that the person they hire will be entirely remaking the coaching staff. And I agree that the team seemed to be building towards being at least a pretty good team, though I know that not all 'Skins fans agree.

Rumor has it that it's Cerrato, but who knows. The Redskins have been more reclusive and stand-offish than cold war Russia since Gibbs retired. The longer this goes on, the more clear it's not going to be Williams. He's a pretty prideful person, I can't imagine him taking it after all of this nonsense unless there has been a guarantee in private prior to now.

Rumor has it that it's Cerrato, but who knows. The Redskins have been more reclusive and stand-offish than cold war Russia since Gibbs retired. The longer this goes on, the more clear it's not going to be Williams. He's a pretty prideful person, I can't imagine him taking it after all of this nonsense unless there has been a guarantee in private prior to now.
I'm not sure that makes any sense beyond this point though. What would they be guaranteeing to him that would also placate him through a further wait to interview someone like Spagnuolo?"Hey Gregg, you're our guy, and you'll get the offer, but we want to wait two more weeks to interview Spags. Don't worry. Really."

In other words, why wait any longer if you know that Gregg's your guy?

I don't see how that would work. :whistle:

I don't see how that would work. :goodposting:
It was a real big reach on a conspiracy theory level, only thing I can think of is they're keeping it a secret as a ruse to get these other interviews in hopes of bringing them in as a DC under him. But yeah...that's a monumental reach and makes no sense at all...but then again, nothing over the past 2 weeks has made sense.

It was a real big reach on a conspiracy theory level, only thing I can think of is they're keeping it a secret as a ruse to get these other interviews in hopes of bringing them in as a DC under him. But yeah...that's a monumental reach and makes no sense at all...but then again, nothing over the past 2 weeks has made sense.
I'm with you - it doesn't make sense. I sure hope that Snyder and Co. are crazy like a fox, because all I see is crazy right now.

Red, you make a REAL good point here. To be honest it really scares me too. Fassel is kind of like Norv and the thought of Norv or Norv Jr is just plain old scary. Bone chilling terror at that! I am one that is not in favor of Greg Williams though. I think he hasn't shown much in BUF and I wonder about him even as a DC. I pointed out before that I'd welcome Fassel if he came w/ experienced assist coaches, but don't want to see another Marvin Lewis situation where Rex Ryan comes to WAS for one year and then gets a HC gig after. What a mess...BTW - Move over a bit...I'm not getting any heat from the fire in the oil drum. :goodposting:
You're a bit kinder to Norv than I am. The 2007 version of Norv - Norv 3.0 - inherited a 14-2 team with as much talent on the roster as any team in the NFL and won 11 games with them - three fewer than last year. The thing he should be proudest of, and rightfully so, are the two playoff wins, particularly the second one @ Indy with backups in the game. I also think the game @ NE was an excellent effort and is another feather in his cap. But again, I think it's still relatively easy to look good coaching that team. Anyway, I agree that when Norv was first hired, it was comparable to Spaguolo in that he was a hot, young assistant who was getting his first head coaching job with the hopes he'd turn out to be great. Joe Gibbs was the same way, as was Spurrier though he was hired from the college ranks. I have no problem with the hiring of Norv in 1994 - nothing ventured, nothing gained, and I've made clear my position that the best chance you have to find a great coach is to be the team that is the first to hire a young, untested coach. My complaint about the team's handling of Norv was its unreasonably long retention of him when the team was clearly not responding to him and taking the proverbial next step. He should have been fired after the 1997 season, or certainly after the 1998 season.
I agree that my problem with Norv was that he had a losing record against everyone in the division (counting Arizona, who was still in the NFC East). For some reason, he kept staying around and we kept on heading down the road of "no direction." Add that there was no dicipline on the team in his tenure and enough was enough!

I'm with you - it doesn't make sense. I sure hope that Snyder and Co. are crazy like a fox, because all I see is crazy right now.
The more I think of it...the media isn't helping. I think JLC and a few others are making the process crazy or more like a circus than the FO. I will say that the FO is not helping matters with the way some things are being done, but if it wasn't for pure speculation being reported constantly as almost FACT, then the fans would be on the edge of their seat about everything. The process itself has become tiresome in that everything is being reported now like "THIS IS IT!" :angry:

I don't see how that would work. :shrug:
The more I think of it...the media isn't helping. I think JLC and a few others are making the process crazy or more like a circus than the FO. I will say that the FO is not helping matters with the way some things are being done, but if it wasn't for pure speculation being reported constantly as almost FACT, then the fans would be on the edge of their seat about everything. The process itself has become tiresome in that everything is being reported now like "THIS IS IT!" :yawn:
It has no doubt contributed, but I'm not convinced that everything they've been reporting has been off the mark. For example, are we sure that they weren't about to hire Fassel, such that the additional rumors about Ryan and Zorn joining him on his coaching staff were all fictitious? I posted this on the Extremeskins board, but it applies here:
Aside from the fact that most competent head coaching searches tend not to take this long, here's an example of why I'm not happy with how this search is going down:

We would clearly (apparently?) like to interview Steve Spagnuolo. Had we asked for permission to interview him before Sunday, when his team won and advanced to the Super Bowl, we could have held that interview this week. Now, by NFL rules (or so I've read), we will have to wait until after the Super Bowl to interview him in the absence of permission from the Giants, who are of course not giving that permission for fear of jeopardizing their team's Super Bowl preparations.

Is that the sign of a coaching search that is well thought-out and has its act together?

Here's the kicker - not only do we have to wait two additional weeks just to interview him, his stock (and his price) may go way up if his defense performs well in this Super Bowl, and it may be harder to hire him. I don't see the opposite being true (his "price" won't go down if his defense performs poorly), which means that this delay can do nothing but hurt us.

And of course meanwhile our fallback candidate(s) Williams (and Fassel?) are left to stew and wonder just how much this team really wants them if it's delaying this long to make a commitment.

I'm too big of a fan of this team to really want this to happen, but it would almost be worth the spectacle to see the team wait for Spagnuolo, only to fail to land him and then to watch GW and Fassel tell the team "no thanks" after the delay.

So in short, it's not the mere passage of time so much as the reason for it and what I believe is the demonstrated incompetence during the time.

The more I think of it...the media isn't helping. I think JLC and a few others are making the process crazy or more like a circus than the FO. I will say that the FO is not helping matters with the way some things are being done, but if it wasn't for pure speculation being reported constantly as almost FACT, then the fans would be on the edge of their seat about everything. The process itself has become tiresome in that everything is being reported now like "THIS IS IT!" :yawn:
conspiracy theories abound, anyone else think they're using the press leaks to their advantage?Either they're leaking the info to gauge fan reaction, or maybe they're doing this to ease the blow of Williams not being the guy by naming Fassel...all of the fans freak, then they announce the real person and we all breathe a sigh of relief. This just needs to be over with...I'm losing my sanity...I hate conspiracy theories. :angry:

The more I think of it...the media isn't helping. I think JLC and a few others are making the process crazy or more like a circus than the FO. I will say that the FO is not helping matters with the way some things are being done, but if it wasn't for pure speculation being reported constantly as almost FACT, then the fans would be on the edge of their seat about everything. The process itself has become tiresome in that everything is being reported now like "THIS IS IT!" :no:
conspiracy theories abound, anyone else think they're using the press leaks to their advantage?Either they're leaking the info to gauge fan reaction, or maybe they're doing this to ease the blow of Williams not being the guy by naming Fassel...all of the fans freak, then they announce the real person and we all breathe a sigh of relief. This just needs to be over with...I'm losing my sanity...I hate conspiracy theories. :unsure:
For a long time, it was Vinny who had the reputation as being the biggest leaker out in Ashburn. He'd operate like someone in the Clinton White House, leak stuff to make an opponent look bad or see how it went over with "plausible deniability". So I wonder if some of these leaks on the HC search are coming right from the top.

Dan Snyder is a little midget with a Napolean complex who demeans others to make himself feel superior. He actually believes he is the defacto GM, so lap-dog (and runaway bride's brother) Ceratto is the perfect "football man" stooge. He has identified yes-man Jim Fossil (last heard helping fantasy footballers set their lineups), and probably would have announced it today had it not been for the Post saying it was about to happen. In a fit of pique, he reverses course as all deranged dictators are apt to do, and with no other course of action, will continue to delay the decision that he has no clue how to make. I hate him with all that I have. FU punk.

I'm going to venture a wild guess here: with Snyder and Cerrato there has been no plan beyond: "let's try this next."

And here we are, Redskin nation, all riding in the back seat, with Dan at the wheel and Vinny riding shotgun. We're in a swamp, we hear mud slopping and tires spinning, and one of them is saying "let's try this next."

Hand me that brown bag and build up that fire.

Dan Snyder is a little midget with a Napolean complex who demeans others to make himself feel superior. He actually believes he is the defacto GM, so lap-dog (and runaway bride's brother) Ceratto is the perfect "football man" stooge. He has identified yes-man Jim Fossil (last heard helping fantasy footballers set their lineups), and probably would have announced it today had it not been for the Post saying it was about to happen. In a fit of pique, he reverses course as all deranged dictators are apt to do, and with no other course of action, will continue to delay the decision that he has no clue how to make. I hate him with all that I have. FU punk.
Dictators don't care what you think, they do what they want to do. They surely don't look for approval from anyone, but themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread