What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL**** 2008 Washington Redskins Off Season Thread! (1 Viewer)

Not surprisingly, a pure leverage play by Spags. Good for him. Time to brace for Coach Fassel, who obviously hasn't an ounce of self-respect after being strung along for weeks and yet still sits obediently by Danny's dinner table waiting for scraps of Chef Boyardee from the Boy Blunder. Woo-hoo!
I think this guy said it well on ES
Fassel is basically the ugly chick at school that's getting to go to prom because the ugly guy just finished getting rejected by all of his "candidates".This is getting tough to watch.

TankRizzo said:
I bet Sally Jenkins is beaming with pride right now.
She had nothing to do with the situation, other than describing it.
I meant pride for what a great and true article she had just written. I think we need a translator. :banned: I just realized something. We just let 2 coordinators go who got snapped up in a matter of days and we're about to hire a guy who got FIRED from the Ravens as a consultant/coordinator and hasn't been able to find work since. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
TankRizzo said:
I meant pride for what a great and true article she had just written. I think we need a translator. :hophead: I just realized something. We just let 2 coordinators go who got snapped up in a matter of days and we're about to hire a guy who got FIRED from the Ravens as a consultant/coordinator and hasn't been able to find work since. :cry:
Yeah, but if we'd kept those coordinators we wouldn't be able to claim that we'd made "an exhaustive coaching search." :mellow:

As long as you guys have Snyder as your owner and a coach without the prestige and wisdom of a Joe Gibbs to keep him in line you will never have any consistency. You guys made Adam Archuletta the highest paid Saftey. You consistently trade away picks for 2nd rate FA's.

The only way you can hope to have a consistent team is to get Snyder's hands out of the front office.

As long as you guys have Snyder as your owner and a coach without the prestige and wisdom of a Joe Gibbs to keep him in line you will never have any consistency. You guys made Adam Archuletta the highest paid Saftey. You consistently trade away picks for 2nd rate FA's.

The only way you can hope to have a consistent team is to get Snyder's hands out of the front office.
I agree with the bolded parts. Archuleta was obviously a disaster, but by and large the FA and other personnel moves, even the drafting, has been acceptable or better. But, that was indeed with Gibbs there. The big picture, though, is as you say it. We need a real GM in the worst way, and we need a head coach who isn't hired primarily because he's going to be a puppet. It's very depressing right now to be a 'Skins fan.

You need some fiscal responsibility when it comes to the FA market as well. There are many questionable FA picks as well. Lloyd being another big one, as well as Randell Ell.

You need some fiscal responsibility when it comes to the FA market as well. There are many questionable FA picks as well. Lloyd being another big one, as well as Randell Ell.
Randle El has stepped up and done the job that Lloyd was supposed to be doing. Who the hell knows though the way the offense had been so handcuffed.

From O'Halloran's blog at the Washington Times.

Jim Mora dropped out. Gregg Williams didn't pass the test. Jim Schwartz quickly disappeared. And Steve Spagnuolo dropped out this morning. What does The Danny do now? He's going to be raked across the proverbial coals by Redskins Nation no matter what decision he makes, so he might as well make it quick before this thing stretches into a fifth week.Here are his options:1. Hire Jim Fassel right now. He was almost their guy a few weeks ago but the entire staff would have been fired. Now most of the assistants remain on board but Fassel is fine with Jim Zorn. I don't know how he feels about Greg Blache running the defensive side.2. Revisit things with Steve Mariucci. The sides chatted last week in Arizona but Mariucci has yet to come to the D.C. area for more talks.3. Hire Ron Meeks. The Indianapolis defensive coordinator has been interviewed twice but I've always seen him as the guy who would get the job if things totally fell apart. Things may be at that stage.4. Start over. This would be the best option ... if there were great candidates on the radar. But this isn't a great year to be finding a coach because few teams cleaned house and all of the "hot" coordinators have removed themselves from consideration. This would be a gamble because the free agent/draft process has to start soon.5. Talk with Russ Grimm. The Arizona assistant knows how Redskin Park works. Which is probably a reason his name didn't materialize during the search. This would be the one name Redskins fans may embrace but if I'm Grimm, I don't touch this job.
Sad. And true. What a ####### trainwreck this has turned into. All they had to do is promote Gregg Williams.

I'm going to venture a wild guess here: with Snyder and Cerrato there has been no plan beyond: "let's try this next."And here we are, Redskin nation, all riding in the back seat, with Dan at the wheel and Vinny riding shotgun. We're in a swamp, we hear mud slopping and tires spinning, and one of them is saying "let's try this next."Hand me that brown bag and build up that fire.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Lloyd was acquired in a trade. :rolleyes:For a third rounder. :rolleyes: :wall: And a fourth. :wall: :wall: :bag:

Lloyd was acquired in a trade. :thumbdown:For a third rounder. :rolleyes: :bag: And a fourth. :bag: :bag: :bag:
Other than my blunder of mis-spelling Randle's name, I forgot about that trade. Though I think I was referencing that in my first post.Can someone remind me of the Portis trade? Or should we not go there?

JLC

Spagnuolo and Jim Mora both pulled out on the Redskins and went on to lucrative deals elsewhere. Gregg Williams was on the verge of pulling out several times with Joe Gibbs urging him not to, and got a good gig in Jacksonville. Al Saunders was snapped up by St. Louis as soon as he was cut loose. Bill Cowher and Pete Carroll didn't want the job under this front office structure at all.

Looks like a highly devalued position. Hard to spin it any other way.
Is Carl Spackler still available?

Can someone remind me of the Portis trade? Or should we not go there?
Champ Bailey and a 2nd (used on Tatum Bell, I believe) for Portis.But, you have to keep in mind that Champ Bailey absolutely 100% was not playing again in DC. He wanted out.

At least you guys didn't get rid of a good running back just to move up a few spots in the 2nd round.

Hi Chicago!!

Im trying to work on Redskins projections right now and having a hard time with it because of the coaching void.

Here is what the offense has done the 3 previous years:

2005 1037 total plays 481PA 278com 3106yards 25TD 11INT 525RA 2183yards 15TD Pass distribution 48% WR 33%TE 19%RB

2006 979 total plays 470PA 274com 3027yards 19TD 10INT 490RA 2216yards 13TD Pass distribution 45% WR 22%TE 33%RB

2007 1052 total plays 525PA 318com 3463yards 18TD 11INT 498RA 1871yards 15TD Pass distribution 52%WR 21%TE 27%RB

With Campbell progressing it seems that the offense has opened up somewhat and a higher distribution of passes have gone to the WR. The rushing game declined pretty significantly (200-300 yards) on a similar number of carries. That yardage was made up in the passing game improving by over 400 yards and this meant more total plays as a result. Now with Williams gone I am seeing a possible decline from the defense which may lead to even more passing moving forward. I would like some opinons on where people see this offense going over the next 3 years if Fassell is the HC or just based on current personel.

Im leaning towards more pass attempts and less rushing attempts (although rushing attempts may have improved YPC in this scenario). As for total plays I see this going down if the defense declines. But looking for other opinions here.

Sorry if the situation looks somewhat bleak.

Lloyd was acquired in a trade. :rolleyes:For a third rounder. :bag: :bag: And a fourth. :bag: :bag: :bag:
and...tore up his contract that had 1 year to go :bag: signed him to a long-term deal :bag: :bag:with a $10m signing bonus :bag: :bag: :bag: :angry:

I didn't think it was possible to loathe Synder any more than I did.I was wrong :lmao: :lmao: ;) :lmao:
You know, most of the moves he's made, I've seen them as good moves at the time. Obviously, in hindsight, they don't work out, but I tended to defend his moves.I can't imagine I'll defend whatever he does.

An NFL source said that John Palermo, who coached at Notre Dame in 1988-89 when Redskins executive vice president Vinny Cerrato was the recruiting coordinator, will be hired as Washington's defensive line coach, filling the void created by Greg Blache's promotion to defensive coordinator last month.Palermo, now at the University of Miami, has coached in bowls in 17 of his 27 seasons. He coached Big Ten Defensive Players of the Year Erasmus James and Wendell Bryant at Wisconsin and Lombardi Trophy winner Chris Zorich, later a Redskin, at Notre Dame. Palmero was head coach at Austin Peay in 1990.
Washington TimesI wonder if they've told Blache yet?

An NFL source said that John Palermo, who coached at Notre Dame in 1988-89 when Redskins executive vice president Vinny Cerrato was the recruiting coordinator, will be hired as Washington's defensive line coach, filling the void created by Greg Blache's promotion to defensive coordinator last month.Palermo, now at the University of Miami, has coached in bowls in 17 of his 27 seasons. He coached Big Ten Defensive Players of the Year Erasmus James and Wendell Bryant at Wisconsin and Lombardi Trophy winner Chris Zorich, later a Redskin, at Notre Dame. Palmero was head coach at Austin Peay in 1990.
CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!!!!!Lock it up.

Holy crap....I just realized the Skins still dont have a coach.

What the hell are they doing there?

While I joked a while back about Vinny becoming the HC, I'm gonna go ahead and put it on the board. Sure, it's like 1,000,000:1 right now, but as the saying goes, "So you're telling me there's a chance!"

While I joked a while back about Vinny becoming the HC, I'm gonna go ahead and put it on the board. Sure, it's like 1,000,000:1 right now, but as the saying goes, "So you're telling me there's a chance!"
Is Pepper Rogers still alive? He was almost HC back when Danny whacked Norv, so now's his big chance. And what's David Shula doing these days, anyway?

Im trying to work on Redskins projections right now and having a hard time with it because of the coaching void.Here is what the offense has done the 3 previous years:2005 1037 total plays 481PA 278com 3106yards 25TD 11INT 525RA 2183yards 15TD Pass distribution 48% WR 33%TE 19%RB2006 979 total plays 470PA 274com 3027yards 19TD 10INT 490RA 2216yards 13TD Pass distribution 45% WR 22%TE 33%RB2007 1052 total plays 525PA 318com 3463yards 18TD 11INT 498RA 1871yards 15TD Pass distribution 52%WR 21%TE 27%RBWith Campbell progressing it seems that the offense has opened up somewhat and a higher distribution of passes have gone to the WR. The rushing game declined pretty significantly (200-300 yards) on a similar number of carries. That yardage was made up in the passing game improving by over 400 yards and this meant more total plays as a result. Now with Williams gone I am seeing a possible decline from the defense which may lead to even more passing moving forward. I would like some opinons on where people see this offense going over the next 3 years if Fassell is the HC or just based on current personel.Im leaning towards more pass attempts and less rushing attempts (although rushing attempts may have improved YPC in this scenario). As for total plays I see this going down if the defense declines. But looking for other opinions here.Sorry if the situation looks somewhat bleak.
This is very hard to project right now. The only thing I can say for certain is that this offense will switch from that run in the Coryell-Gibbs-Saunders coaching tree to the Walsh-Holmgren WCO under Zorn. Change, in and of itself, means that this offense figures to at least start slowly, especially given that the terminology and philosophy couldn't be more different. I don't think we'll have even a decent basis upon which to guess what happens until after the draft and most of FA is finished, by which time we'll theoretically have a few more insights into how the team is adapting to the offense in mini-camps. One thing I'd suggest though- I think Portis' value may increase with a heavier emphasis upon passes to RB's in the WCO.

Granted E. James and W. Bryant were great in college, but they both have done absolutely nothing in the NFL. So, I wouldn't use those names as a glowing endorsement of sorts...

I've been a Redskin fan since 1968, through twenty years of living in Boston and New York, and yet now, today, I am casting it aside.

I have been a hard-core fan. My fantasy team is called the Artmonks. I have a signed photo of Joe Theisman hanging in my office. Here is my favorite memory: in 2003 in Iraq, I spent some time in the army's main hospital in Baghdad as a journalist. A very busy, deeply sad place. Somehow, word got among the doctors, who were mainly based in the greater DC area, that I was a Redskin fanatic, and one by one they sought me out, just to sit for a few minutes and commisserate over the sad state of our skins. That was a fun release there and then. I expounded my theory: Dan Snyder would be our Steinbrenner -- passionate, a little nuts partly because of his passion, smart, young. e'd make a lot of mistakes early, I argued, then learn the business and win three or four championships down the road. And then, a few months later, up from Charlotte flew our great Coach, and I felt Danny was really on the road.

Today, my son is four, just learning about football, and I .... have.... made.... the decision to bail on the skins. I had to say this in some public forum to make it real. Snyder is just an egomaniac. No respect for the tradition. Terrible judgement. If he were learning, Cerrato would be gone. Also, it just so happens I've settled in New York and my son's name is Eli. So that's destiny.

So here I go: GO BIG BLUE.

This has become the most dragged out, embarrassing mess i've seen and we've been through a lot with Snyder.

And speaking of messes, Fassel is not the answer. The guy lost control of the Giants back in the day b/c there was discontent amongst the players re: him. What a joke

TankRizzo said:
I meant pride for what a great and true article she had just written. I think we need a translator. :lmao: I just realized something. We just let 2 coordinators go who got snapped up in a matter of days and we're about to hire a guy who got FIRED from the Ravens as a consultant/coordinator and hasn't been able to find work since. :hot:
They could have easily have names Gregg Williams as HC and gotten Fassel as OC. There is very little demand for Fassel as an OC and none (except Snyder) as a HC. I really thought they would go this route and if Williams bombed, they would be prime position to go after Cowher next year.One thing that Gibbs emphasized when he first came back was taking his time hiring assistants and making sure they would all work well together. Apparently Snyder/Cerato took this lesson to heart and the top priority of the HC and staff is that they work well with Snyder and Cerato. Except hopefully Snyder and Cerato won't be spending 18 hours a day with anyone on the coaching staff.

This has become the most dragged out, embarrassing mess i've seen and we've been through a lot with Snyder. And speaking of messes, Fassel is not the answer. The guy lost control of the Giants back in the day b/c there was discontent amongst the players re: him. What a joke
:thumbup: As an Eagle fan, I am loving this. It's pretty much been known for weeks that Fassel was the guy, they've already hired coordinators, why go through with this charade? B/c Fassel is a retread and the fans will revolt when he's introduced and they want to say the have done everything possible. They might have had a chance at being respectable if they just promoted Gregg Williams and let him continue what Gibbs was doing. Good luck Skins fans on a last place finish in 2008.

Hmmm. Should the Redskins go with Steve Mariucci or Russ Grimm?

I think that depends on whether you believe the Redskins are ...

a) the Detroit Lions, or

b) the new St. Louis (Arizona) Cardinals

of the NFC East.

I vote for a).

Sports Illustrated

Meanwhile, Snyder spent the day conferring with advisers to consider his options following a month's worth of interviews, a person familiar with the selection process told the AP. A decision could be imminent, or the owner might instead arrange follow-up interviews with one or more candidates, the person said. The owner has said he hopes to have a coach in place by the end of the week.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the club has preferred to keep details of its search private.
"Hey you!. At the end of the bar! Yeah, you! You lookin' for a job?"

Oh, I guess you’d like me to get to the news. Adam Schefter said that, as of 7 PM EST tonight, that nobody from the Redskins has contacted Jim Fassel. Given that the announcement that Steve Spagnuolo will be staying with the Giants came before noon, it seems odd that Dan Snyder hasn’t picked up the phone to pull the trigger on what is widely assumed to be his backup plan. It appears that Schefter’s source for this is someone from Fassel’s camp, probably his agent.
Rich Tandler

I've been a Redskin fan since 1968, through twenty years of living in Boston and New York, and yet now, today, I am casting it aside.

I have been a hard-core fan. My fantasy team is called the Artmonks. I have a signed photo of Joe Theisman hanging in my office. Here is my favorite memory: in 2003 in Iraq, I spent some time in the army's main hospital in Baghdad as a journalist. A very busy, deeply sad place. Somehow, word got among the doctors, who were mainly based in the greater DC area, that I was a Redskin fanatic, and one by one they sought me out, just to sit for a few minutes and commisserate over the sad state of our skins. That was a fun release there and then. I expounded my theory: Dan Snyder would be our Steinbrenner -- passionate, a little nuts partly because of his passion, smart, young. e'd make a lot of mistakes early, I argued, then learn the business and win three or four championships down the road. And then, a few months later, up from Charlotte flew our great Coach, and I felt Danny was really on the road.

Today, my son is four, just learning about football, and I .... have.... made.... the decision to bail on the skins. I had to say this in some public forum to make it real. Snyder is just an egomaniac. No respect for the tradition. Terrible judgement. If he were learning, Cerrato would be gone. Also, it just so happens I've settled in New York and my son's name is Eli. So that's destiny.

So here I go: GO BIG BLUE.
You aren't the only one. I've been a fan since I was a kid and now, at 37, I've decided enough is enough. I renounce my Redskins fandom for the foreseeable future. I knew this year would be the year I decide what to do but now since the superbowl is over I figured I'd move on. In any case, just like any other business, if you I like the ownership then I won't patronize it. This is especially true if the product is mediocre. I am still a fan of the old redskins, those guys who are part of Redskin history, but I am not a fan of the current organization.

I've been a Redskin fan since 1968, through twenty years of living in Boston and New York, and yet now, today, I am casting it aside.I have been a hard-core fan. My fantasy team is called the Artmonks. I have a signed photo of Joe Theisman hanging in my office. Here is my favorite memory: in 2003 in Iraq, I spent some time in the army's main hospital in Baghdad as a journalist. A very busy, deeply sad place. Somehow, word got among the doctors, who were mainly based in the greater DC area, that I was a Redskin fanatic, and one by one they sought me out, just to sit for a few minutes and commisserate over the sad state of our skins. That was a fun release there and then. I expounded my theory: Dan Snyder would be our Steinbrenner -- passionate, a little nuts partly because of his passion, smart, young. e'd make a lot of mistakes early, I argued, then learn the business and win three or four championships down the road. And then, a few months later, up from Charlotte flew our great Coach, and I felt Danny was really on the road.Today, my son is four, just learning about football, and I .... have.... made.... the decision to bail on the skins. I had to say this in some public forum to make it real. Snyder is just an egomaniac. No respect for the tradition. Terrible judgement. If he were learning, Cerrato would be gone. Also, it just so happens I've settled in New York and my son's name is Eli. So that's destiny.So here I go: GO BIG BLUE.
LMAO, so you decide to root for a rival instead. What a joke...you hard core fan. :moneybag: Glad you're teaching him how to bail out or be a quitter...hope it's one lesson your son doesn't pick up. C ya fair weather fan! :thumbup:
You aren't the only one. I've been a fan since I was a kid and now, at 37, I've decided enough is enough. I renounce my Redskins fandom for the foreseeable future. I knew this year would be the year I decide what to do but now since the superbowl is over I figured I'd move on. In any case, just like any other business, if you I like the ownership then I won't patronize it. This is especially true if the product is mediocre. I am still a fan of the old redskins, those guys who are part of Redskin history, but I am not a fan of the current organization.
I would say...you didn't become a fan because the owner, you shouldn't leave because the owner. Yes, he could be better, but he could be worse too...look at Al Davis, Brown in Cinci and so forth. At least he tries to improve, though sometimes misguided. Just remember he didn't ask Gibbs to step down pre-maturely. I guess you didn't see all the old timers at the HOF press conf., did you? The old school cats wouldn't respond to Danny if they didn't like him and yes, DARREL GREEN had many words of praise for Dan Snyder and even called him a friend. Oh, yeah he's terrible and especially considering all he did for S. Taylor's family and still doing for them. Yeah, renounce that...goodbye fair weather fan. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread