What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2009 IDP NFL Draft Thread*** (1 Viewer)

I don't know why, but I really like a little surprise with Goodell. Getting tired of Mayock blabbing the pick a second early, especially when it's "his mock pick" or disguised as a "brilliant last second thought". :potkettle:
I haven't really noticed, but isn't that what he's paid to do :shrug:

1.25 -- CB VONTAE DAVIS -- Miami Dolphins

Has good size, ball skills and an ability to support the run. May have to grow into the zone schemes in Parcells' version of the 3-4. One of those guys that may fit the rookie corner rule, then disappear in later seasons unless he settles into a solid zone tackling corner.

Thoughts on Aaron Curry from Seattle. :goodposting:

Q: What does he bring to the team that you didn't have yesterday?Ruskell: A physical presence on the field. This is a guy that's over 250 pounds, runs 4.5 and you see the speed. Some guys run 4.5 in their workout and you don't see it on the tape. Versatility in terms of the coverage ability. He's a good tackler and he's a good blitzer. He's the whole package for the linebacker position. That's why the coaches were so excited about him because of all the different things you're going to be able to do with the guy.Gus Bradley coming from Tampa had a guy like that in Derrick Brooks. And I'm not comparing him to Derrick Brooks. Derrick Brooks is going in the Hall of Fame, but what made us select Derrick Brooks all those years ago was the fact that he could do everything.
Could be hinting at the "centerpiece of a new free-flowing 4-3" I mentioned above. Or not. :shrug: :P

1.26 -- CLAY MATTHEWS, JR -- Green Bay Packers

Good fit as a 3-4 OLB here. Very raw, but has projectable, versatile football intelligence. Could be good enough to allow Aaron Kampman to play the rush OLB role on the weak side in time. Probably not a whole lot of IDP value unless he grows into an Adalius Thomas type player.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts on Aaron Curry from Seattle. :goodposting:

Q: What does he bring to the team that you didn't have yesterday?

Ruskell: A physical presence on the field. This is a guy that's over 250 pounds, runs 4.5 and you see the speed. Some guys run 4.5 in their workout and you don't see it on the tape. Versatility in terms of the coverage ability. He's a good tackler and he's a good blitzer. He's the whole package for the linebacker position. That's why the coaches were so excited about him because of all the different things you're going to be able to do with the guy.

Gus Bradley coming from Tampa had a guy like that in Derrick Brooks. And I'm not comparing him to Derrick Brooks. Derrick Brooks is going in the Hall of Fame, but what made us select Derrick Brooks all those years ago was the fact that he could do everything.
Could be hinting at the "centerpiece of a new free-flowing 4-3" I mentioned above. Or not. :no: :thumbup:
Good call Jene he may very well play will.

Curry's first comments to the media in Seattle:

On how he fits the defensive system in Seattle: “I feel like it’s a perfect fit, being that Lofa and Leroy are both great at their position at the Mike (middle linebacker) and the Will (weak side backer). And for me, to come in and compete to be the Sam (strong side backer), and to learn a lot from the veterans and to really try to catch up mentally as the game goes along. I’m really looking forward to being like a little brother to Lofa and Leroy."

1.32 -- DE/DT ZIGGY HOOD -- Pittsburgh Steelers

Little bit of a curveball for those expecting Jarron Gilbert here. Hood was considered more of a three-technique DT despite his 300+lb size, and probably projects more toward an end role in Pittsburgh than the nose tackle spot. He's got the penetrating skill set and pass rush ability that sometimes makes a 3-4 end into a nice IDP value and the Steelers always seem to get the most out of their defensive prospects.

DraftGuys TV video profile

2.33 -- FS LOUIS DELMAS -- Detroit Lions

I suppose the Lions don't want a MLB after all. :lmao:

Delmas is a little small, but he plays bigger than his size and he's got a nice all-around skill set. Excellent coverage skills and better than average run support for his size. Thought to be more of a FS, but could play an in-the-box role as well.

2.34 -- S PATRICK CHUNG -- New England Patriots

Interesting pick here.

Good size. More of a run support player than a cover guy and could bump Brandon Meriweather out of the Rodney Harrison/Sean Jones role in this defense. Bloom has him ranked second among all safeties.

2.35 -- LB JAMES LAURINAITIS -- St. Louis Cardinals errrr Rams

And here come your intriguing box score players. Delmas, Chung and now Laurinaitis in quick succession.

Laurinaitis slots well into the middle here and should quickly bump Chris Draft to the SLB role or to the bench, with Will Witherspoon back to a better fit at WLB as expected. Laurinaitis should be an every-down MLB and could have some added big play value with Steve Spagnuolo. Has to be the current odds-on favorite to be the top IDP off the board, though there are some concerns that he'll never be a huge tackle producer.

2.33 -- FS LOUIS DELMAS -- Detroit Lions

I suppose the Lions don't want a MLB after all. :yes:

Delmas is a little small, but he plays bigger than his size and he's got a nice all-around skill set. Excellent coverage skills and better than average run support for his size. Thought to be more of a FS, but could play an in-the-box role as well.
Beleive I read somewhere the Lions like the Phillips kid from TCU

A few clarifications as I get caught up.

There are plenty of interesting inside linebacker prospects, including some thumper types, to be found later in this draft. Jim Schwartz hardly ever had a stud every-down Mike in Tennessee and could be perfectly content to put a big body in the middle and let Sims and Peterson roam as every down players. Not the best case scenario for our IDP skewed minds, but not a bad NFL solution at all.

Patrick Chung is another one of those guys that you may not think much of when you read the scouting report, but Belichick liked enough not to risk letting him slide to any of his hundreds of second and third round picks. He's a better in-the-box talent than Meriweather and very likely slots to SS. Not good news at all for Meriweather at first glance, but makes Chung a must watch player during minicamp.

I'm not sold that Laurinitis is a true stud NFL MLB, but he's one of those guys that should be around the ball enough to be a sure, but not sexy, LB2 at minimum. Just not sure if he'll be impressive enough in coverage to push his tackle numbers to the stud range.

2.37 -- CB ALPHONSO SMITH -- Denver Broncos

Nice player, but probably won't give you enough in run support to be a consistent IDP player. Great upside player with the ball skills to be helpful in CB only leagues.

2.38 -- LB REY MAUALUGA -- Cincinnati Bengals

:lol:

Okay, not so much of a jawdrop. But it's been so long since the Bengals seemed to care about having a true identity in the middle. Takeo Spikes wasn't a true MLB, but he brought a real presence. Odell Thurman, yeah, let's not rehash that affair. Maualuga may not be an every-down player, but you're going from a guy who plays the guitar and has a show on the Travel Channel to a smack in the mouth, downhill talent. With Rivers and Johnson and Jones in the fold, Maualuga may not fit on third down. If he does, he's a very nice IDP prospect.

I *might* come back to the fold with this pick. Might.

Jene Bramel said:
Larry Thomas said:
Can't recall... Does Maybin have the frame to get bigger?
He does, but I don't think anyone will want to mess with his first step. I think it's a longshot that he'll put on enough weight to be more than a one-dimensional end. Any plays he makes against the run are going to be in backside pursuit.
Don’t be surprised if Aaron Maybin is a situational pass rusher as a rookie. I expect him to help the pass rush on passing downs and third downs. The reason I believe the Bills are thinking like this is based on what defensive coordinator Perry Fewell told me at the NFL Combine in February.

“We’re looking for a different type of talent, maybe one that can put some more pressure on the quarterback in a third down situation,” Fewell said at the combine. “He might not have to be a full time starter, but if he can give us (help) in long yardage situations or passing down situations to increase our pass rush, that will work for us. And then we can work him into being an every down player because football right now is so much situational. It’s a situational game that sometimes you can pick a situational player.”

Knowing Maybin just turned 21 earlier this month and his body is still maturing, Maybin is still growing into his body and holding up against the run might be a bit of a task for him as a rookie. As long as he has 10 to 12 sacks and Schobel puts up close to the same I’ll be satisfied with that approach.
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/04/25/m...er-as-a-rookie/looks like he'll start out as a situational pass rusher and take on more snaps as he gets stronger.

2 or 3 down ?
I think he can eventually grow into an every-down role with Keith Rivers. But Rivers didn't earn an every-down role right away, Zimmer likes Brandon Johnson's coverage skill and Dhani Jones is still running the huddle. I think Maualuga competes to play inside on opening weekend, but I have the same reservations projecting him to a nickel spot as I did with Curtis Lofton at this time last season.

I've heard scouts questioning Maualuga's intelligence to man the middle and his tackling. Guess it makes sense he fell so far after he was potentially the best LB going into the year. :lmao:

Jene Bramel said:
Larry Thomas said:
Can't recall... Does Maybin have the frame to get bigger?
He does, but I don't think anyone will want to mess with his first step. I think it's a longshot that he'll put on enough weight to be more than a one-dimensional end. Any plays he makes against the run are going to be in backside pursuit.
Don’t be surprised if Aaron Maybin is a situational pass rusher as a rookie. I expect him to help the pass rush on passing downs and third downs. The reason I believe the Bills are thinking like this is based on what defensive coordinator Perry Fewell told me at the NFL Combine in February.

“We’re looking for a different type of talent, maybe one that can put some more pressure on the quarterback in a third down situation,” Fewell said at the combine. “He might not have to be a full time starter, but if he can give us (help) in long yardage situations or passing down situations to increase our pass rush, that will work for us. And then we can work him into being an every down player because football right now is so much situational. It’s a situational game that sometimes you can pick a situational player.”

Knowing Maybin just turned 21 earlier this month and his body is still maturing, Maybin is still growing into his body and holding up against the run might be a bit of a task for him as a rookie. As long as he has 10 to 12 sacks and Schobel puts up close to the same I’ll be satisfied with that approach.
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/04/25/m...er-as-a-rookie/looks like he'll start out as a situational pass rusher and take on more snaps as he gets stronger.
Agreed.With Denney and Kelsay there, I don't think there's any chance Maybin sees the field in the base defense until 2010 at the earliest.

I've heard scouts questioning Maualuga's intelligence to man the middle and his tackling. Guess it makes sense he fell so far after he was potentially the best LB going into the year. :lmao:
I think it was probably concerns about his maturity (as you noted), but there weren't many (the DGTV profile aside) that thought Maualuga could handle the coverage responsibilities. A lot of teams with ILB needs passed him over those 37 picks, some multiple times.

2.40 -- DT RON BRACE -- New England Patriots

Great depth, very solid 2-gap NT. Should play the run well in rotation with Vince Wilfork, but won't have any value as a pass rusher. Unlikely to have any value in IDP leagues, but will certainly help the potential of Jerod Mayo and friends at ILB.

2.41 -- CB DARIUS BUTLER -- New England Patriots

Small and not a willing run supporter. Like Smith above, will have more IDP value in CB required leagues that put a premium on ball skills and big plays over tackles.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Clint Sintim, Michael Johnson, Lawrence Sidbury, Paul Kruger and Everette Brown ( :football: ) are hanging out waiting for landing spots before some of the deeper front seven guys come off the board.

I'm going to begin to scale the profiles back some, especially as some of the corners come off the board.

2.42 -- CB JAIRUS BYRD -- Buffalo Bills

Tough, physical corners with size and good ball skills are always worth considering when they get drafted by Cover-2 teams. Stuck behind Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin for now, but some long term potential here.

2.43 -- DE EVERETTE BROWN -- Carolina Panthers

Great rotational end to go with Tyler Brayton and Charles Johnson as a edge rusher with a solid first step, and possibly the heir apparent to Julius Peppers at the RDE position. Excellent value for Carolina here to get a guy some considered the best edge rushing 4-3 DE prospect. Has some potential to play the run better than his size would indicate, which gives him excellent dynasty value in all scoring systems.

2.45 -- LB CLINT SINTIM -- New York Giants

How many pass rushing talents do the Giants need? This front seven is going to be sick. May not have the instincts or range to be a stud OLB, but could probably handle enough zone drops to work in rotation at SLB. The Giant front office has said that they see Michael Boley as a WLB, so that's probably off the table. Instincts will probably hold Sintim back for IDP purposes; his best fit for most leagues was probably as a 3-4 ILB.

2.46 -- CONNOR BARWIN -- Houston Texans

Interesting landing spot for Barwin. Probably fits as a developmental and rotational pass rusher for now behind Antonio Smith, but could develop into a nice upside target for big play leaguers if he converts enough of his nickel snaps into stats.

2.47 -- S MICHAEL MITCHELL -- Oakland Raiders

No one has any idea who this dude is, aside from the expectation that he can run fast. Listing him here because the Raiders are thin at safety and he's worth some followup.

Here's a blog post -- interestingly enough from a Raider fan site that notes that Mitchell compared himself to Jack Tatum -- that lists Mitchell as a thumping 6'1", 220. Always room for a speedy, thumping SS on a horrible team.

2.48 -- S DARCEL MCBATH -- Denver Broncos

Thin, rangy and unlikely to provide much in run support, but should be a solid cover FS. No chance at a major role behind Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill this season and isn't the profile to have much IDP value anyway.

No one has any idea who this dude is, aside from the expectation that he can run fast. Listing him here because the Raiders are thin at safety and he's worth some followup.

Here's a blog post -- interestingly enough from a Raider fan site that notes that Mitchell compared himself to Jack Tatum -- that lists Mitchell as a thumping 6'1", 220. Always room for a speedy, thumping SS on a horrible team.
DraftGuys blog post with a highlight reel of Mitchell thumping dudes.

Take a guy at 2.47 from what it sounds like you could have got in 6th/7th round or even an undrafted free agent :lmao:

2.42 -- CB JAIRUS BYRD -- Buffalo Bills

Tough, physical corners with size and good ball skills are always worth considering when they get drafted by Cover-2 teams. Stuck behind Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin for now, but some long term potential here.
could also have some extra value in leagues that award points for return yardage. Bills are stacked there with McGee, Parrish, and McKelvin but Parrish is reportedly on the trading block and McGee is entering the last year of his deal. Bills may also consider moving Byrd to FS.

2.52 -- OLB DAVID VEIKUNE -- Cleveland Browns

Not particularly explosive as an edge rusher and needs to work to make the transition to linebacker. Could grow into a Mike Vrabel type player, but isn't likely to be an IDP factor, even in big play heavy scoring systems without major improvement in technique despite his solid motor.

Take a guy at 2.47 from what it sounds like you could have got in 6th/7th round or even an undrafted free agent :lmao:
Wow! He's good looking player from that clip! Has tremndous closing speed.

2.55 -- S WILLIAM MOORE -- Atlanta Falcons

Heir apparent to Lawyer Milloy, potentially as soon as this season. Big, solid run supporting safety with limited coverage skills. Not too many in the box strong safety types that land in good spots anymore, so it's nice to see Moore and Chung look like they'll get a shot to live up to their scouting reports.

2.56 -- DT FILI MOALA -- Indianapolis Colts

Big player who could fit in either defensive tackle spot here. Has enough penetrating ability to take snaps as a three technique, but might be able to contribute as a nose in this scheme. Depending on which role he plays, he could be a solidly productive DT in the box scores.

2.57 -- DE PAUL KRUGER -- Baltimore Ravens

Interesting. Could project to a standup pass rushing role, but plays well enough against the run to possibly hold up as a hybrid 3-4 end. If he can stay listed as a DE (which is likely), there's a lot of boxscore potential and DL value here.

2.57 -- DE PAUL KRUGER -- Baltimore Ravens

Interesting. Could project to a standup pass rushing role, but plays well enough against the run to possibly hold up as a hybrid 3-4 end. If he can stay listed as a DE (which is likely), there's a lot of boxscore potential and DL value here.
I like this guy, one of those high motor types who gets it done with effort.

Take a guy at 2.47 from what it sounds like you could have got in 6th/7th round or even an undrafted free agent :thumbdown:
Wow! He's good looking player from that clip! Has tremndous closing speed.he does look good

What a day. Only 11 of the 32 second round picks were offensive players (18 of 32 first rounders). Still plenty of names worth watching tomorrow.

Cody Brown will be an interesting OLB prospect in Arizona. Chike Okeafor, Bert Berry and Travis LaBoy are all veteran names, Brown could carve out a nice niche as he matures into the role. He'll be athletic enough to grow into an all-around linebacker talent, but he'll need to improve his technique and pass rush moves to become a legit NFL and IDP prospect.

Take a guy at 2.47 from what it sounds like you could have got in 6th/7th round or even an undrafted free agent :no:
Wow! He's good looking player from that clip! Has tremndous closing speed.
I never heard of him before.... but that clip of him make him look Top 5 DB worthy!! Granted it was all MAC conference competition, but the kid can hit and has a nose for how the play is panning out. Nice find!!

1.03 -- DE TYSON JACKSON -- Kansas City Chiefs

Without question, the Chiefs needed help up front. There are some concerns that Jackson may not be a stud in run support, but he's one of the better pass rushing prospects for a guy his size. He's probably a better fit for a hybrid front with some 1-gap 3-4 concepts, as is Glenn Dorsey inside. Could be a sign that we'll see more of the Clancy Pendergast hybrid playbook than the Belichick playbook Scott Pioli is more familiar with from New England. If that's the case, Jackson may fit into the Darnell Dockett type role, and there may be more NFL and IDP value there than it may appear at first glance.

This pick is likely also a sign that teams (at the very least KC) don't see Aaron Curry as a projectable rush OLB. We may see him go to Seattle here or watch him drop for awhile.
Some indications here that the Chiefs are leaning toward more of a 1-gap hybrid 3-4 front, similar to what Pendergast ran in Arizona. Jackson looks more likely to be used in a Darnell Dockett type role rather than Richard Seymour for now.KC Star

The first player drafted by the Chiefs’ new command personifies the type of player Scott Pioli wants to build around.

Louisiana State defensive end Tyson Jackson is big, versatile and all in.

Immediately, the Chiefs plan to use the 6-feet-4, 296-pound Jackson as their weak side defensive end on early downs and as a middle rusher in obvious passing situations. Over the longer term, they expect a solid player who becomes a pillar of what the Chiefs hope will be a series of successful teams.

Haley said the Chiefs see tremendous pass rush possibilities for Jackson.

“We actually think he probably gains an advantage on third down if he moves inside because now he’s over a guard,’’ Haley said. “He’s got some pass rush skills. There’s no doubt about it. That’s one of the things that excited the coaches about him if we can take advantage of some matchups maybe inside. That may really help him and us.’’
The weak side defensive end on early downs may sound like a 4-3, but I think it's more likely the 3-4 RDE. As the Cards did frequently, you'll probably see a lot of four man fronts on nickel downs, with Jackson slotting as the three-technique.

Jene Bramel said:
1.13 -- DE BRIAN ORAKPO -- Washington Redskins

So much for all the hybrid OLB/DE players going to 3-4 teams to play rush OLB. Nearly as explosive as Maybin, but much stronger and could grow into a solid every-down player from the RDE spot. Isn't the type of rookie end to blow up immediately in the boxscores, particularly in tackle-heavy leagues, but has solid long-term potential. Could also signal that Greg Blache is ready to play more aggressively with his front four, which would work in Andre Carter's favor. It's just as likely, though, that Orakpo plays a rotational role on passing downs until he proves himself ready to play the run.
Apparently the Redskins see Orakpo as a potential every down player, SLB in the base defense and a LDE on passing downs. As la Canfora notes, it makes a little sense in that Blache doesn't play the run on the way to the quarterback as Orakpo would likely do. Be interesting to see if he can handle base defensive SLB responsibilities. His scouting report would suggest a struggle.Washington Post blog/Jason la Canfora

After a 2008 season in which the rookies largely faltered, Washington Redskins Coach Jim Zorn proclaimed that whomever the team selected 13th overall in April's draft would have to contribute immediately. Now, with the first round of the draft completed and Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo the newest Redskin, that will likely require some juggling from the coaching staff.

Orakpo's speed and 11 1/2 sacks as a senior endeared him to team officials seeking to upgrade their pass rush, but Orakpo could alternate at linebacker and end as he learns the NFL game. Zorn said yesterday that Orakpo would come in as a left defensive end, but during his visit to Redskins Park Orakpo spent considerable time breaking down film with linebackers coach Kirk Olivadotti and figured he could end up spending more snaps as a strong-side linebacker.

"It's all about the packages that I can bring to the table," Orakpo said in a conference call with the media. "In talking to coach K.O., the linebacker coach, he really likes me and sees me as a SAM [strong-side] backer on first and second [down], and when it's time to get after it on third-and-long or whatever the situation is, I'll get down in a [three-point] stance and rush the passer and do what I do best. That's the thing about me, I bring a lot of versatility to the table."

On the left side, where Orakpo will play, Phillip Daniels and Renaldo Wynn, both near the end of their careers and best as rotational players, stand before him on the depth chart. While both are very strong, and excel against the run, they have battled age and injury and counting on them to be productive all season long is a gamble. Orakpo, who had knee sprains each of the last two seasons and missed four games as a senior, is like a younger, quicker version of Daniels in many respects, but must make major strides in his run stopping.

"He's got an explosive takeoff, explosive sped and the ability to get the corner," Cerrato said. "He can bend that corner once he gets around the tackles. He doesn't take extra steps."

Defensive coordinator Greg Blache's system has been predicated on his linemen absorbing blockers and allowing the linebackers to make plays, and with Wynn and Daniels suited to that, Orakpo playing strong-side linebacker on running downs makes sense. Even at linebacker, he will need work at the point of attack, with one NFL scout who evaluated him suggesting he be stunted with some regularity.

Users who are viewing this thread