What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2009 IDP NFL Draft Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel said:
1.14 -- CB/FS MALCOLM JENKINS -- New Orleans Saints

There was some talk about Jenkins playing safety and the Saints have both Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter at corner and Darren Sharper at FS so it's not immediately clear where Jenkins might play. I think corner is more likely, as Gregg Williams likes to play a lot of zone, which fits well with his skill set. It would also allow them to bring him along as a slot corner, then move Greer to the nickel role later. If he can't hack it at corner, they'll have a ready made FS to replace Sharper in 2010. He'll have some interesting IDP value as a corner in a zone scheme, as he's got well above-average ball skills and he's more than happy to support the run.
nola.com

The Saints are expected to try Jenkins first at cornerback, then move him to safety if -- and only if -- he proves to them he can't play corner. But either way, he'll bolster a Saints secondary that was victimized by opposing quarterbacks far too often the past two seasons.
nola.com blog

6:38 p.m. Mike Triplett: Just got off the phone with Malcolm Jenkins, and naturally there was a lot of talk about what position he'll play in New Orleans.

He said the plan is for him to come in as a cornerback, but he's open to moving to safety if that's where he fits best.

"To be honest, I really don't have a preference," Jenkins said -- the kind of answer that must have impressed the Saints leading up to the draft. "I can see myself playing corner and being a dominant corner and having success there. And I can see myself playing safety and doing the same thing."

Jene Bramel said:
1.15 -- OLB BRIAN CUSHING -- Houston Texans

There goes the value of both Xavier Adibi and Zac Diles.

Very versatile player who could fit at either OLB position and talented enough to assume the every-down role alongside DeMeco Ryans. Likely to fit at SLB with Adibi the odds-on favorite to hang at the Will given the snaps that Diles has taken with the second team at MLB. Could have better than average value in this role as one of those talented every-down SLBs.

DraftGuys TV video profile
No surprises here.Houston Chronicle

"Brian is the kid we targeted all along," defensive coordinator Frank Bush said. "We like the energy he brings, the intensity he brings.

"We feel really good about Zac, but with the opportunity to get a kid we believe can be an impact player for us — we're going to put him on the strong side and give him an opportunity to get on the field early."

Jene Bramel said:
1.18 -- OLB/DE ROBERT AYERS -- Denver Broncos

Really?

This reads like Phillip Merling v2009 to me. Ayers is a tough fit for a 3-4 defensive end, even in a 1-gap front like the Broncos will trend toward. Not sure he's explosive enough to gain the edge as a 3-4 rush OLB. Fit here could be as an every down LOLB in the 3-4 that can play end if the Broncos move into a 4-3. Ayers looked to me to be the best all-around DE prospect on the board and the most likely rookie to have an impact as an IDP DE. Be interesting to see how this pick plays out over the next two seasons.
Sounds very much like Mike Nolan may see Ayers as his Justin Smith. It's a decent comp; hopefully Ayers can be more successful as a pass rusher.Denver Post

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Ayers is quick enough and strong enough to play a variety of positions in a 3-4 defense, including defensive end and outside linebacker. Ayers said the team talked to him about being moved around in Denver's defensive system.

"I'm versatile enough that I could do multiple things," Ayers said. "I feel I'm ready to play wherever they ask me to play."

Jene Bramel said:
1.26 -- CLAY MATTHEWS, JR -- Green Bay Packers

Good fit as a 3-4 OLB here. Very raw, but has projectable, versatile football intelligence. Could be good enough to allow Aaron Kampman to play the rush OLB role on the weak side in time. Probably not a whole lot of IDP value unless he grows into an Adalius Thomas type player.
No definitive word on which side Matthews will play yet. Ted Thompson wasn't asked anything specific in the presser. Here's the only short note on his potential role.Packers.com

(Do you see him more as a speed rusher on the right side or someone who plays the tight end?)

I think he can do either. I think he's proven, and if you watch tape on him, he's a very versatile guy.

2.35 -- LB JAMES LAURINAITIS -- St. Louis Cardinals errrr Rams

And here come your intriguing box score players. Delmas, Chung and now Laurinaitis in quick succession.

Laurinaitis slots well into the middle here and should quickly bump Chris Draft to the SLB role or to the bench, with Will Witherspoon back to a better fit at WLB as expected. Laurinaitis should be an every-down MLB and could have some added big play value with Steve Spagnuolo. Has to be the current odds-on favorite to be the top IDP off the board, though there are some concerns that he'll never be a huge tackle producer.
St. Louis Post-DispatchSt. Louis brass report that they really wanted Laurinaitis and see him as an every-down player.

2.38 -- LB REY MAUALUGA -- Cincinnati Bengals

:goodposting:

Okay, not so much of a jawdrop. But it's been so long since the Bengals seemed to care about having a true identity in the middle. Takeo Spikes wasn't a true MLB, but he brought a real presence. Odell Thurman, yeah, let's not rehash that affair. Maualuga may not be an every-down player, but you're going from a guy who plays the guitar and has a show on the Travel Channel to a smack in the mouth, downhill talent. With Rivers and Johnson and Jones in the fold, Maualuga may not fit on third down. If he does, he's a very nice IDP prospect.

I *might* come back to the fold with this pick. Might.

DraftGuys TV video profile
Some interesting comments from the Bengal defensive coaching staff. There's a hint here that suggests that Dhani Jones might get moved to SLB, a role he's played in the past in an attacking scheme similar to Zimmer's in some ways while in Philadelphia.bengals.com

The Bengals didn't get that center they coveted in the second round Saturday, but they ended up with a player that suddenly changes their persona on defense with highly-regarded USC middle linebacker Rey Maualauga, their MLB of the future.

"You can tell we're all pretty happy," said head coach Marvin Lewis, draped by a smiling defensive coordinator in Mike Zimmer and linebackers coach Jeff FitzGerald after they convened following the 38th pick.

Why not? They got a guy they would have taken in the middle of the first round if they traded back and an All-American that can play all three linebacker spots in their defense. It's believed they were also debating Oregon center Max Unger, but Maualauga's grades were so high that it over rode the Bengals need at center.

"I sat down with him at the Senior Bowl. He's very humble. He's very hungry," Zimmer said.

"The man's a warrior," FitzGerald said.

Lewis didn't say Maualauga would start in place of Dhani Jones in the middle, but FitzGerald said he could see a scenario where Jones and Maualauga are on the field at the same time. Maualauga is also reunited with WILL backer Keith Rivers, his former ' SC teammate and the Bengals first-round pick last year.

So based on day 1 who has the most IDP value out of the gate?
I'd say Laurinitis, E Brown, Cushing, Moore, Chung.Kruger, T Jackson, Curry have solid potential depending on usage. Maualuga I think gets bogged down in Cinci's linebacking corps. Orakpo might not put up big numbers, especially not sacks. Ayers I'd have to see how the defense ends up.

2.47 -- S MICHAEL MITCHELL -- Oakland Raiders

No one has any idea who this dude is, aside from the expectation that he can run fast. Listing him here because the Raiders are thin at safety and he's worth some followup.

Here's a blog post -- interestingly enough from a Raider fan site that notes that Mitchell compared himself to Jack Tatum -- that lists Mitchell as a thumping 6'1", 220. Always room for a speedy, thumping SS on a horrible team.
A lot of great discussion from Tom Cable on Mitchell from the Inside the Raiders blog. He'll be a strong safety in a somewhat interchangeable scheme and was a priority target. From a guy you can't find on your scouting reports to a potential IDP find...

Cable: Well, that was a great deal for us. We maneuvered around. As you know, we were sitting there at 40, and then moved down, to make a trade because we need some picks, because we’re short picks this year, so that was a positive there. So that gives two fours, two sixes, a sixth and a seventh now, along with our third tomorrow, so that’s good. Not sure if we’re done today, there are some things out there that have potential for us that are pretty exciting, so we’ll see how goes here at the end. With regards to the pick, Mike Mitchell, this is the second guy, we got both of the guys that we targeted today, a guy that really came on the scene in really the last three weeks, more than anything, as we started those visits and the prospects came in. We thought we were sneaking one and he had already been to 15 teams. So we knew it would be a challenge to get him. Who is he? He’s a strong safety. He’s probably the most ferocious hitter in the draft. A very, very physical guy. And it just so happens he can fly. Another good pick for us. Helps us on the defensive side of the ball, and as I mentioned a month or five weeks ago, whatever it was, it was a great concern to us. It was good day so far.

Q: Given all interest in him, any worry by going back seven spots, you would lose him?

Cable: We had a backup plan. We had a backup plan that was pretty safe. It did get pretty nervous there, because we got some calls to kind of move around again, but we just held the position and it came to us.

Q: Some people will hear he came on last few weeks, he’s a size/speed guy, what’s his body of work like at Ohio?

Cable: Very physical guy, again. When you see some highlights of this guy, and they cut him up, you’re going to see a guy that reminds you, and I don’t want to put too much pressure on the guy, but he has that Ronnie Lott, that Jack Tatum mentality. He literally knocks people out. Knocks the pile back, knocks runners backward, knocks receivers backward. Very smart football player. Has been about a 3 ½ -year starter for them. A very, very physical football player with good size.

Q: What does Mitchell’s arrival mean for Michael Huff?

Cable: It means that we’ve made our team better. Really we’ve got three safeties here right now. He gives us a fourth so you have some real competition. We lost rashad baker in free agency. So it allows you know to get back to raider style of football which is really the reason I wanted this guy so bad. He’s a very physical football player. You’ll like that part about him.

Q: dDd his playing strong and free make Mitchell more attractive?

Cable: Absolutely David. His ability to do both was huge. Yet, we have a young player here in Tyvon Branch we really like. And now it gives you two physical players. And really this guy maybe has a little more in him to go back and play in the middle if you needed it to. I think it just gives us a much sounder, tougher, stronger secondary. Obviously we feel good about our corners and this guy, like I said you’re gonna love watching him play. He’s something.

Q: Is he going to play strong safety or will you be in a two-safety system?

Cable: I think that we’re going to be in a two-safety system with the ability that your safeties can play down as well as back. We want to have the ability, whether it’s the strong or the free, to do both. We’ll kind of get into that as we get into minicamp and OTAs next week.

quick thoughts...

LB - not sure i wouldn't rank lauranaitis & malauga above curry & any other LB today...

cushing & mathews could be SLB types (no surprises), sounds like curry, too..

DE - orakpo ended up in a good place...

ayers i assume will be 3-4 OLB... some scouts think he will be best defensive player from this class in 2-3 years, maybe could have some ware in him?

i heard DET might be targeting delmas at 2.1... mayock high on him... sanders a tantalizing comp... rare FS that outproduces most SSs?

agree chung could be harrison 2.0?

jenkins might be best intersection of run support ability & destination among CBs...

also agree that a few IDPs had less than ideal landing spots (compensated for by a lot of great offense skill position landing spots... maybe best in few years?)...

Last edited by a moderator:
So based on day 1 who has the most IDP value out of the gate?
Immediate value?Laurinaitis far and away the best 2009 prospect tonight, with Curry and Maualuga right there if we get good reports on their immediate usage. Don't like any of the defensive ends to put up numbers immediately; Tyson Jackson probably has the best shot at reasonable value since it appears that Brian Orakpo could get reclassified to LB after all. There could be a number of immediately productive DBs, however, with Malcolm Jenkins, William Moore and Michael Mitchell all potentially in line to play every down on opening weekend.We'll see how tomorrow shakes out.

Houston DC Frank Bush on Brian Cushing

(on what side of the defense Cushing will play) “He is going to be a strong side linebacker. LB Zac Diles is coming off an injury. We feel really good about Zac Diles, but with the opportunity to get a kid that we believe could be an impact player for us – we’re going to put him on the strong side and give him the opportunity to get on the field early. Hopefully, he can come out and make plays for us.”

(on decision to draft Cushing) “Like I’ve said before, we had this guy targeted all along. We liked everything he brought. Of course (general manager) Rick Smith and (head coach) Gary (Kubiak), they were entertaining phone calls. I don’t know what was said in those phone calls, but those phone calls were coming, and they entertained them. At the end of the day, we thought that this is the guy we like; we know what he can do for our football team. We know he can come and contribute right away, so we’re going to take him. ”

(on the pass rush scheme) “Because he is a kid that’s played all three positions we can quite easily put him on the edge of the line of scrimmage and let him rush, we can rush him from a stacked position or leave him at the same linebacker position, letting him rush from there. he thing we like about him is his versatility, that he’s a kid that understands the nickel package, he understands the regular packages and stuff. This kid can come in quite frankly and be a starting regular defense and also nickel defense.”

Sounds like Cushing will have every opportunity to be not only the starting sam, but an every down LB. June could start the year off in the nickel, but it's only a matter of time.

2.45 -- LB CLINT SINTIM -- New York Giants

How many pass rushing talents do the Giants need? This front seven is going to be sick. May not have the instincts or range to be a stud OLB, but could probably handle enough zone drops to work in rotation at SLB. The Giant front office has said that they see Michael Boley as a WLB, so that's probably off the table. Instincts will probably hold Sintim back for IDP purposes; his best fit for most leagues was probably as a 3-4 ILB.
Expected him to go to a 30 front team. Jene you think there's any chance Sintim gets a look at mike?

2.45 -- LB CLINT SINTIM -- New York Giants

How many pass rushing talents do the Giants need? This front seven is going to be sick. May not have the instincts or range to be a stud OLB, but could probably handle enough zone drops to work in rotation at SLB. The Giant front office has said that they see Michael Boley as a WLB, so that's probably off the table. Instincts will probably hold Sintim back for IDP purposes; his best fit for most leagues was probably as a 3-4 ILB.
Expected him to go to a 30 front team. Jene you think there's any chance Sintim gets a look at mike?
I think his instincts and range probably limit him to OLB, but it's possible. I don't think Jeremiah Trotter is a great comparision, but the aggressive Jim Johnson front defenses have gotten by with limited thumpers in the past. Hadn't considered that since his best skill is rushing the passer. For now, Sintim says the Giants want him to compete at SAM.

"They desciribed where exactly I'd be playing and what I'd be doing," he said of the Giants' plans to make him a strongside linebacker as discussed when he visited the team two weeks ago. "Basically they told me I'm going to be the Sam linebacker, similar to what I was doing here in Virginia, but just asking me to do a few other things."

Interesting names worth watching on the second day of the draft...

DE Michael Johnson

DE Lawrence Sidbury

DE Brandon Williams

DE/DT Jarron Gilbert

LB Tyrone McKenzie

LB Frantz Joseph

LB Marcus Freeman

LB Jason Williams

LB Dannell Ellerbee

LB Darry Beckwith

LB Jason Phillips

S Rashad Johnson

S Derek Pegues

S Chip Vaughn

...among many others. The Lions are almost certainly going to draft some backers soon and a number of teams will be taking safeties soon. Some teams getting away from the BPA philosophy could give a mid round DE prospect more immediate opportunity.

Looks like the early returns on day one won't generate much controversy -- though the Leroy Hill news might spur debate on Curry's future value -- so these later picks might be what makes or breaks this draft from an IDP perspective.

This thread will take on more of a discussion and random thoughts format for me today. We'll continue to add coaching comments and player interviews when we find them.

:(

DT Jarron Gilbert to the Bears is a little unexpected but this guy is a nice three-technique prospect. Going to rotate with Tommie Harris, but might get enough high leverage snaps to have a Jason Jones type impact in rotation. Here's his DraftGuys TV video profile.

LB Jason Williams to Dallas. This will be interesting. Mike Mayock is calling him a 3-4 OLB, but I think could also fit as a 3-4 WILB here. And there's an interesting hole there behind Keith Brooking with Kevin Burnett gone. Maybe they coach him up to play inside like a Stephen Cooper, maybe they leave him in a situational pass rushing role like an Antwan Barnes type in Baltimore. He may never fulfill the athletic promise he showed in his predraft workouts, but he's worth watching.

DE Michael Johnson to Cincinnati. Extremely athletic, loved by Bloom, with major questions about his effort and technique. Fits right away as a situational guy, but the Bengals aren't loaded with pass rushers. Given the lack of interesting 4-3 end prospects right now, Johnson might become a decent target in most leagues.

I was kind of hoping the Lions would grab Johnson or Gilbert for their pressing needs on the DL. I wonder if they go MLB next. As crazy as it sounds, I'd love them to nab Jarett Dillard or Mike Thomas (WR) to pair with Megatron and Pettigrew. I just think their defensive needs are too great at this stage.

I was kind of hoping the Lions would grab Johnson or Gilbert for their pressing needs on the DL. I wonder if they go MLB next. As crazy as it sounds, I'd love them to nab Jarett Dillard or Mike Thomas (WR) to pair with Megatron and Pettigrew. I just think their defensive needs are too great at this stage.
Larry and I were bantering about Jim Schwartz' recent history of plugging a guy in at MLB and beefing up outside -- I don't think the Titans have had a stud MLB since they were the Oilers. Larry said he saw a note that they had Jason Phillips (TCU) in and he's the kind of guy that fits that profile. High motor guy in the mold of a Barren Wortham, Ryan Fowler, Peter Sirmon, Stephen Tulloch, etc. Can probably get a guy like that fairly late.

Larry and I were bantering about Jim Schwartz' recent history of plugging a guy in at MLB and beefing up outside -- I don't think the Titans have had a stud MLB since they were the Oilers. Larry said he saw a note that they had Jason Phillips (TCU) in and he's the kind of guy that fits that profile. High motor guy in the mold of a Barren Wortham, Ryan Fowler, Peter Sirmon, Stephen Tulloch, etc. Can probably get a guy like that fairly late.
You're a prophet, JB. Deandre Levy!? Really? Hopefully he's better for the Lions than Alex Lewis, another former Badger. The Lions seem to have a fetish with Badgers, only it hasn't produced much for them (Aaron Gibson, Brian Calhoun, Lewis, now Levy).

LB DeAndre Levy to Detroit. Interesting. Athletic, flow player who doesn't seem to have the size Jim Schwartz suggested he wanted on defense. Seems unlikely this is the plugger they want at MLB, but it's hard to see them moving on depth at this stage of the draft. Maybe a sign that Julian Peterson may be moving to DE, with Schwartz replacing him with a flow guy and the Lions moving toward a right-left OLB alignment. Will be very interested in this press conference.

Reading the scouting reports a second and third time, Levy seems limited to WLB, especially given Schwartz' predraft comments. Nobody gives him much credit in man coverage and Sims isn't a great cover guy either. Must be missing something here.

Still, if this is the guy in the middle and if Schwartz projects him as an every-down guy, he's got to be a consideration for IDPers.

We'll see.

Reading the scouting reports a second and third time, Levy seems limited to WLB, especially given Schwartz' predraft comments. Nobody gives him much credit in man coverage and Sims isn't a great cover guy either. Must be missing something here.

Still, if this is the guy in the middle and if Schwartz projects him as an every-down guy, he's got to be a consideration for IDPers.

We'll see.
They still have 5 picks left, you have to think they'll address a MLB later. Not gettin' the Levy pick either.

All this talk on Mitchell on NFLN, can't beleive they can't find some tape on him. C'mon you'd think they would have been diggin thru the night to get something. Interesting Chicago may have been lookin' to take him @ 2.49

All this talk on Mitchell on NFLN, can't beleive they can't find some tape on him. C'mon you'd think they would have been diggin thru the night to get something. Interesting Chicago may have been lookin' to take him @ 2.49
They don't want to show anything that might make Mayock and friends look goofy for saying he's an extreme reach, right? :tinfoilhat: And the Chicago note is interesting, though they were comfortable with Kevin Payne at SS. Either they saw Mitchell as a very good special teams guy, projectable as a monster FS talent or aren't as enamored with Payne as believed. Either way, a Cover-2 team having interest in a guy like this so high suggests there may be more all-around skill here than others have expected.

S Rashad Johnson to Arizona where he fits as a free safety, but he's a solidly built player with projectable two way skills. Probably no threat to Antrel Rolle and Adrian Wilson right away. However, Wilson is in a contract year and Rolle has a huge jump in salary in 2010 (his final contract season). Could be a consideration in the future.

LB Tyrone McKenzie to New England. Athletic, instinctive linebacker who probably fits inside. Probably no threat to the value of Jerod Mayo, but could eventually grow into Tedy Bruschi's replacement at the SILB position. May also be Belichick continuing to get younger at LB and getting guys that project to solid special teams talents. May also not be great news for Gary Guyton's long term value.

Kaluka Maiava (Cleveland) is small (5-11 / 229) for a 3-4 backer
Not sure I see the fit there either. I have to remember that I'm looking for starting prospects, however, and tend to forget that linebackers are the lifeblood of the special teams units, especially in 3-4 clubs. Maiava isn't moving DQJackson anywhere, doesn't fit at SILB or outside. He's not an IDP prospect.

S David Bruton to Denver is interesting. Another guy you'll have to wait on to see any return, but he's a big athlete that could work well at SS for a Mike Nolan scheme.

S Chip Vaughn, who the Saints just took, is a guy that has SS measurables but FS skills. Shouldn't be a threat to Roman Harper, but may well work his way into the mix at FS when Darren Sharper moves on. There didn't seem to be much interest in trying Malcolm Jenkins at safety anyway, but this is still more indication that Jenkins is seen as a corner.

I'm not sure how this will play out, but this could be interesting. He seems a bit smaller than the Lions talk about. I wonder if he has the frame to add a few pounds.

Link

DeAndre Levy said Lions talked to him about playing MLB

by Tom Kowalski

Sunday April 26, 2009, 11:06 AM

DeAndre Levy, the Detroit Lions' third-round pick, played outside linebacker at Wisconsin but said the Lions coaches talked to him about playing in the middle in Detroit. Levy said the coaches told him a final decision on that possible move had yet to be made.

While the Lions already have starters on the outside in Ernie Sims and Julian Peterson, they have a glaring hole at middle linebacker.

Levy said the Lions also called him to Detroit for a late visit on April 17, the final day that players can visit teams. Levy said he believed that Detroit's late interest meant they were interested in him.

DE/OLB Brandon Williams goes to the Cowboys, who are apparently collecting every projectable OLB with a hint of pass rush ability they can find in the middle rounds. Liked him better as a 4-3 rush end, but I think he's the best prospect of the three OLBs the Cowboys have drafted. Still think Jason Williams projects inside here, though.

Didn't mention LB Stanley Arnoux to the Saints because I've yet to see a scout that thinks he's an every-down OLB. Hard to see him displacing Scott Shanle or Scott Fujita this season or having much long term impact.

S Chip Vaughn, who the Saints just took, is a guy that has SS measurables but FS skills. Shouldn't be a threat to Roman Harper, but may well work his way into the mix at FS when Darren Sharper moves on. There didn't seem to be much interest in trying Malcolm Jenkins at safety anyway, but this is still more indication that Jenkins is seen as a corner.
Any chance you could elaborate on this? I've read that he's a classic in-the-box safety that lacks coverage skills. NFL Draft Profile says "He made a ton of tackles, but had only three interceptions. He excels in special teams as a kick-blocker. He's more of a strong safety than a free safety." I would think that the potential for Jenkins at FS still exists.

DE Lawrence Sidbury to the Falcons. Could grow into a nice bookend for John Abraham on the left side. For a guy who likes to play some read and react up front, Mike Smith is putting together a stable of guys that can get up field and penetrate. Here's his DraftGuys TV video profile.

Any chance you could elaborate on this? I've read that he's a classic in-the-box safety that lacks coverage skills. NFL Draft Profile says "He made a ton of tackles, but had only three interceptions. He excels in special teams as a kick-blocker. He's more of a strong safety than a free safety." I would think that the potential for Jenkins at FS still exists.
Yeah, it's a mixed bag I suppose. Russ Lande thinks his run support skills are solid, but not spectacular. PFW notes poor angles, questionable instincts and a relative lack of physicality for his size. Bloom and NFL.com see him as more of a run supporter, with some questionable man cover skills. Given the lack of consensus, I probably shouldn't have been as one-sided here. Consider him raw and potentially projectable to any role.Thanks. :goodposting:

LB Gerald McRath to the Titans. Likely projects to OLB at some point down the line and is probably a longshot to earn an every-down starting role in his career. As an aside, after a number of mocks projecting guys like James Laurinaitis to Tennessee, I think this draft has to be seen as good news for those continuing to wait on Stephen Tulloch as a potential MLB.

LB Jason Phillips to Baltimore. Hardnosed talent, may not be athletic enough to become an every-down ILB. Unlikely to succeed Ray Lewis as a stud ILB, but could compete with Tavares Gooden, who's faster but may not prove as productive. Probably a special teams guy in Baltimore for now.

LB Scott McKillop to San Francisco. Looks like depth for Takeo Spikes for now, with the potential to start in a base defensive role at SILB down the road. Little value in the boxscores likely.

Notes on the New Orleans draft today from Sean Payton, from Mike Triplett's blog at nola.com.

Malcolm Jenkins will begin minicamps at corner, Chip Vaughn at FS and Stanley Arnoux at WLB. Usama Young to be moved to FS as well.

It's hard to keep track with so many new defensive backs in New Orleans, but Saints Coach Sean Payton just laid out the early plan:

First-round pick Malcolm Jenkins will start out at cornerback, fourth-round pick Chip Vaughn will start out at free safety, and third-year veteran Usama Young will be moved to free safety.

So the depth chart now looks like this, with a lot of wiggle room in the pecking order:

CB - Tracy Porter, Jabari Greer, Randall Gay, Malcolm Jenkins, Leigh Torrence, Jason David

FS - Darren Sharper, Pierson Prioleau, Chip Vaughn, Usama Young

SS - Roman Harper, Chris Reis

Wow. That's drastically different from a year ago. That unit has undergone quite a makeover. Throw in new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and second-year secondary coach Dennis Allen, and you can see that the Saints have placed a huge emphasis on shoring up their biggest weakness.

Among other topics Payton just addressed:

Fellow fourth-round pick Stanley Arnoux will start out at weakside linebacker in New Orleans, with the versatility to move inside if necessary.

That's fantastic. Even if Jenkins doesn't start, he's going to be on the field anytime you need 5 DBs and provides a lot of versatility as a rookie. I really like what they're doing.

LB Jasper Brinkley to Minnesota is a bit of a surprise. Scouting reports and most observers suggested that a thumping ILB role, potentially in one of the many blooming 3-4 fronts, would be his best fit. Instead, this massive thumping prospect who fell off the map after his knee injury in 2007, goes to an attacking, Cover-2 style defense. Will be buried behind EJ Henderson in the middle, but could potentially work himself into base defensive consideration on the strong side in the future.

Joseph surely gets picked in this round, Miami has two picks, 5 (161) and 5 (165). Frantz was featured this morning on ESPNs Outside The Lines, I missed it, will try and find when it re-airs.

LB Marcus Freeman to the Bears. Rangy player with good speed and cover ability who fits well into the Bears' Cover-2 schemes. We've toyed with guys like Jamar Williams and Michael Okwo before, but this guy is closer to the real deal. Both Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs are entrenched in the playmaking roles, but Freeman could potentially play SLB before stepping in well down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread