What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2009 Minnesota Vikings Offseason Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Beyond ridiculous. It's akin to my daughter complaining that she doesn't get an allowance since I've been laid off.
All due respect, unless your lease as parents to your daughter expires in 2011, it's not even remotely akin. This is a free enterprise which will have met it's 30 year lease obligation, whether during a good or down fiscal era. I can think of no reason the Vikes are obligated to sign an extension to play in the dome when their obligation to play there terminates. It's a real problem, not one the Vikings are creating. If you cut through the BS, that's all they are saying. They are absolutely right about Pawlenty. I skipped sides and voted for him primarily because he claimed to be willing to resolve stadium problems, and in fact he was part of the Twins solution. If he truly has not lifted a finger for the Vikes, I find that disappointing.
Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya, Lester.
I fear this will be the general Minnesotan response. It's unfortunate, because I don't think it's a particularly constructive response if some other metro area will pony up funds to host an NFL team in a new stadium. Like it or not, that IS how it works in other cities. The state is hard pressed to explain why they've resolved stadium situations for the Wild and Twins. This state got a lot of mileage from its own finger-ponting to the 30-year lease during times of fiscal surplus, and now it chooses to ignore it? Ok, pooh-pooh the problem but be prepared to live with the consequences. Some people are fine with that, I understand. However, anyone who doubts that collective machismo will result in a North Stars/Wild situation, where the state ends up paying ten fold years down the road to replace the relocated team, needs a reality check and a history lesson.

When the team does leave, how many fans will turn to the east? Maybe that'll be a good time to move to KC or Denver.

Great question

Do you follow the team to where they relocate, or do you hope for another expansion team in Minnesota?

That would be a sad day, as much as I despise the Vikings, the NFC North is good for the league, and needs to stay intact. That division is about as old-school as it gets...

Beyond ridiculous. It's akin to my daughter complaining that she doesn't get an allowance since I've been laid off.
All due respect, unless your lease as parents to your daughter expires in 2011, it's not even remotely akin. This is a free enterprise which will have met it's 30 year lease obligation, whether during a good or down fiscal era. I can think of no reason the Vikes are obligated to sign an extension to play in the dome when their obligation to play there terminates. It's a real problem, not one the Vikings are creating. If you cut through the BS, that's all they are saying. They are absolutely right about Pawlenty. I skipped sides and voted for him primarily because he claimed to be willing to resolve stadium problems, and in fact he was part of the Twins solution. If he truly has not lifted a finger for the Vikes, I find that disappointing.
I'm afraid you missed the point.

I'm afraid you missed the point.
:hophead: What point did I miss?

Is there any chance they try to trade Chester and sign a Fred Taylor or other experienced back to spell Peterson?

They could get decent value from Chester and not have too much of a drop off if Peterson went down.

I am still a Chester fan, but he is going to be in the final year of his contract and I'm not sure they will keep him.

Is there any chance they try to trade Chester and sign a Fred Taylor or other experienced back to spell Peterson? They could get decent value from Chester and not have too much of a drop off if Peterson went down.I am still a Chester fan, but he is going to be in the final year of his contract and I'm not sure they will keep him.
I am not a fan of trading Chester. It's difficult to trade a running Back for "decent value" in the NFL. I mean Indy traded Faulk for second- and fifth-round picks. What do you expect to get for Taylor? Since the Vikings are committed to the run, they actually need Chester more than most other teams. His ability to relieve Peterson without a huge loss in production is essential in keeping Peterson healthy and may prolong his career. Besides Fred Taylor turned 33 last month and he may want more money than Chester is already making.

Is there any chance they try to trade Chester and sign a Fred Taylor or other experienced back to spell Peterson? They could get decent value from Chester and not have too much of a drop off if Peterson went down.I am still a Chester fan, but he is going to be in the final year of his contract and I'm not sure they will keep him.
I am not a fan of trading Chester. It's difficult to trade a running Back for "decent value" in the NFL. I mean Indy traded Faulk for second- and fifth-round picks. What do you expect to get for Taylor? Since the Vikings are committed to the run, they actually need Chester more than most other teams. His ability to relieve Peterson without a huge loss in production is essential in keeping Peterson healthy and may prolong his career. Besides Fred Taylor turned 33 last month and he may want more money than Chester is already making.
I agree with you...just posted something that popped into my head.

No. 1 Vikings QB? Childress calls for a battleBrad Childress said he has left the Vikings job open and wants incumbents Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte back to compete.By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune INDIANAPOLIS - The fluid nature of an NFL offseason means plans made in February often have been altered by April. While that's possible when it comes to the Vikings quarterback situation, the reality is that coach Brad Childress seems prepared to go with a scenario that is sure to be unpopular with the masses.Childress indicated Friday that he plans to have Tarvaris Jackson vie for the starting job in training camp and that Gus Frerotte could provide the competition -- if the veteran elects to return for the final season of his contract. The Vikings have been linked to New England's Matt Cassel, Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck and Tampa Bay's Jeff Garcia in trade and free-agent rumors, but Childress did not provide any fuel for that fire while talking to reporters at the NFL scouting combine."I think that Tarvaris continues to improve without a doubt, and I believe he will" continue to improve, Childress said. "I just expect another step in the development."Asked if there was a scenario under which he could see the Vikings acquiring an unquestioned starter, Childress paused for a few seconds and then said: "Yeah. But right now I would be honest with you and tell you I wouldn't know who that person would be."Jackson's development has had its rocky moments since the Vikings made him a surprise second-round selection in 2006.After losing two late-season starts as a rookie, Jackson posted an 8-4 record as a starter in 2007 but missed time because of injury and had three more interceptions than touchdowns (12-9). He was anointed the Vikings' starter last offseason but suffered a knee injury in training camp and had the plug pulled on him after the Vikings opened the season with losses to Green Bay and Indianapolis
:whistle:

Nothing more than coach speak. What is he going to do when asked that question? Tell the reporters who the Vikings are targeting, thereby alerting other franchises even before free agency? Plus, even if they do bring in another QB, unless it's someon like Kurt Warner or Matt Cassell, then TJ still should have an opportunity to win the starting job.

Nothing more than coach speak. What is he going to do when asked that question? Tell the reporters who the Vikings are targeting, thereby alerting other franchises even before free agency? Plus, even if they do bring in another QB, unless it's someon like Kurt Warner or Matt Cassell, then TJ still should have an opportunity to win the starting job.
I really don't think signing Garcia or Collins would be a big upgrade over Frerotte and I still think Tarvaris would be allowed to compete with them. Warner would be interesting, but expensive.Cassel I am not sold on. Randy Moss makes many QBs look VERY good - as well as other WRs. I'm afraid Cassel is just living off of Randy Moss.

FunkyPlutos said:
encaitar said:
I really don't think signing Garcia or Collins would be a big upgrade over Frerotte and I still think Tarvaris would be allowed to compete with them. Warner would be interesting, but expensive.Cassel I am not sold on. Randy Moss makes many QBs look VERY good - as well as other WRs. I'm afraid Cassel is just living off of Randy Moss.
I agree on Cassell. I am not sold on him either, but if the Vikings decide to trade a high draft pick and sign him to a big contract, then he'll be the starter whether he's actually better than Tavaris or not. Just pointing out an instance where Childress would announce his starter before any competition.

FunkyPlutos said:
encaitar said:
I think garcia could do real good in the vikings offense. He is mobile enough to buy time when he needs it and I think he could actually keep defenses honest. With our pass blocking I doubt think warner would be able to hold up and keep the turnovers down, I don't think they will go that route. There is nnot much out there, I think garcia is the best fit for the coming year (as far as free agents). I am done with jackson, I do like him as a #2 though.

Last edited by a moderator:
FunkyPlutos said:
encaitar said:
I think garcia could do real good in the vikings offense. He is mobile enough to buy time when he needs it and I think he could actually keep defenses honest. With our pass blocking I doubt think warner would be able to hold up and keep the turnovers down, I don't think they will go that route. There is nnot much out there, I think garcia is the best fit for the coming year (as far as free agents). I am done with jackson, I do like him as a #2 though.
Garcia has no arm, and pretty much never did. He is in the same category as Favre, Brad Johnson and other oldtimers. They lose their arm strength come halfway thru the season after taking a bunch of lumps. I did hear that the Vikings are one of a few teams very interested in Vick. sigh Gawd I hope not.

I'd rather go after a Bulger or Bill Volek type....as long as it doesn't cost us our first.

Spielman on the draft class

February 21st, 2009 – 6:18 PM by Judd Zulgad

INDIANAPOLIS — Vikings vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman spent much of Saturday inside Lucas Oil Stadium watching the first day of workouts at the NFL Scouting Combine. So what does Spielman think of this draft class? He talked about it Thursday.

“On the offensive side, I think it’s a deep center class,” he said. “More than it has been. I think, as much as we don’t like the juniors to come out, the junior running backs and receivers really made that a strong class as well. I think the offensive tackle class is very comparable to what it was last year.

“On the defensive side, there’s going to be good depth through the draft at the corner position. I think defensive tackle, there are some inside pass rushers that are going to be going early. The linebacker class, especially in that first round, you could potentially see four or five linebackers go in the first round. It’s a very strong class in that area.”

The Vikings, like so many teams, always say they will take the best available player in the draft. But of the positions Spielman talks about, I’d say offensive tackle and cornerback might be two areas they focus in the first round. The Vikings currently are slated to pick 22nd in the first round.

Harvin gets good news

February 22nd, 2009 – 11:19 AM by Judd Zulgad INDIANAPOLIS — One player mentioned in some mock drafts as a possibility to end up with the Vikings is Florida wide receiver Percy Harvin. Probably just as important as Harvin’s workout at the combine were the medical tests he underwent at an Indianapolis hospital.

Harvin has been bothered by lower right leg and ankle injuries but said the numerous MRI exams conducted on him proved he is healthy. “It went good and everything is clear,” Harvin said. Harvin, who is listed at 5-11, 195 pounds, was a versatile part of Florida’s spread offense. He caught 40 passes last season, had 70 carries and finished with 16 touchdowns.

Harvin could be valuable because he also wants to serve as a return man, an area where the Vikings need help.

Harvin admits he wished he could have been used more as a traditional receiver with the Gators. “Definitely,” he said. “A lot of times I get frustrated and sat there with Coach [urban] Meyer, we had a few talks about it. But at the same time I was willing to do whatever it took to win. At the time we didn’t have a lot of running backs to carry the ball, so I had to do a lot of their role. At one time I was averaging 15 to 20 carries. I had as many carries as catches.

Texans near deal to send Rosenfels to Vikings

Minnesota would give up draft pick to land quarterback

By JOHN MCCLAIN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

The Texans and Minnesota are close to completing a trade that would send quarterback Sage Rosenfels to the Vikings, possibly for a fourth-round draft choice.

The Texans had no comment on the report.

This is the second year in a row in which the Vikings have been interested in acquiring Rosenfels as their starting quarterback. Rosenfels, who won six games in the last two seasons when replacing the injured Matt Schaub, is approaching the last year of his contract. If the trade is completed, the Vikings will want to extend Rosenfels' contract.

The Vikings have Tarvaris Jackson and Gus Frerotte on their roster. Jackson is a former second-round pick and Frerotte is a 14-year veteran.

Rosenfels, who grew up in Iowa and played at Iowa State, was hoping to be traded to the Vikings last year. Media reports said Minnesota offered a third-round draft choice, but the Texans wanted a second-round pick. Both teams denied an offer was made. The reason Rosenfels wants to be traded to the Vikings is that he would have a chance to start for a team that has Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor at running back and as has led the NFL in run defense for the last two years.

The additional draft choice would give the Texans eight selections in the draft on April 25-26. Their last three picks in the fourth round were tight end Owen Daniels, cornerback Fred Bennett and outside linebacker Xavier Adibi.

The Texans will be in the market for another veteran quarterback. Alex Brink was a seventh-round pick last year who spent the season on the practice squad. When Schaub was injured, the Texans signed Craig Nall for the remainder of the season.

john.mcclain@chron.com
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6276358.html:sigh:

And here I actually believed the "bring in token vet competition for TJax" was a thing of the past, and that the team was finally going to be serious about bringing in an established QB to get this team over the hump. This is no different than B.Johnson, Frerotte, Bollinger, Holcomb. In Rosenfels, we're getting a guy who had a 79 passer rating [6 TDs/10 INTs] in 2008 play. The only team he had a QB rating above 84 against was... you guessed it, the Vikes pass defense [103 rating 11/2/08]. To those who believe that performance indicates he's a guy who should seriously push Tarvaris, I have to ask "why?" Why is it that Houston's #2 QB, a mediocre performer, is a viable candidate to be the Minnesota Vikings starter? IMHO he's no more than the next journeyman replacement who will come in for a few games after TJax fails (again). Houston getting a 4th for a mediocre backup is highway robbery.

:goodposting:

:sigh:And here I actually believed the "bring in token vet competition for TJax" was a thing of the past, and that the team was finally going to be serious about bringing in an established QB to get this team over the hump. This is no different than B.Johnson, Frerotte, Bollinger, Holcomb. In Rosenfels, we're getting a guy who had a 79 passer rating [6 TDs/10 INTs] in 2008 play. The only team he had a QB rating above 84 against was... you guessed it, the Vikes pass defense [103 rating 11/2/08]. To those who believe that performance indicates he's a guy who should seriously push Tarvaris, I have to ask "why?" Why is it that Houston's #2 QB, a mediocre performer, is a viable candidate to be the Minnesota Vikings starter? IMHO he's no more than the next journeyman replacement who will come in for a few games after TJax fails (again). Houston getting a 4th for a mediocre backup is highway robbery. :confused:
:goodposting:If this is how they fix the QB position, they better be prepared for a lot of empty seats at the Dome and blackouts on TV.I can't believe this is their final answer.

This is totally ridiculous...I could not believe it when I saw it..Why give up a draft pick on this waste...Don't forget he also had 4 fumbles in 5 games started...

:sigh:And here I actually believed the "bring in token vet competition for TJax" was a thing of the past, and that the team was finally going to be serious about bringing in an established QB to get this team over the hump. This is no different than B.Johnson, Frerotte, Bollinger, Holcomb. In Rosenfels, we're getting a guy who had a 79 passer rating [6 TDs/10 INTs] in 2008 play. The only team he had a QB rating above 84 against was... you guessed it, the Vikes pass defense [103 rating 11/2/08]. To those who believe that performance indicates he's a guy who should seriously push Tarvaris, I have to ask "why?" Why is it that Houston's #2 QB, a mediocre performer, is a viable candidate to be the Minnesota Vikings starter? IMHO he's no more than the next journeyman replacement who will come in for a few games after TJax fails (again). Houston getting a 4th for a mediocre backup is highway robbery. :headbang:
:tfp: If this is how they fix the QB position, they better be prepared for a lot of empty seats at the Dome and blackouts on TV.I can't believe this is their final answer.
Is there a better option out there? There's no one at pick 22 that's going to be day 1 starter material. Garcia doesn't have the arm strength to throw the deep ball anymore. He's a better option and I hope they still bring him in, but I don't think he gets us to the SB. Warner would be grand, but I can't see him leaving Arizona. McNabb isn't available anymore, because Philly once again realized he's good. Cassell only played well out of the shotgun and Minnesota isn't going to play many shotgun formations. Plus, his price tag is too high. Derek Anderson might be available but he's only marginally better than Rosenfels and it'd probably take a 2nd rounder to get him at this point.Really, they needed to bring in someone to really push Jackson. Rosenfels probably won't win the job, but if he does push Jackson to improve himself, then it was worth trading for him.The biggest concern I have is how little time the Vikings had to throw the ball last year. If they don't put a huge focus on improving their Oline and it's pass protection schemes this offseason, then it won't matter who's at QB.

I honestly think that adding Rosenfels and drafting Hakeem Nicks in the first and a right tackle in the 2nd will make this team MUCH better on the offensive side of the ball. They were 12th in scoring offense last season, so if the offense improves and the defense gets EJ back, this team has a great chance at making a run.

:sigh:

And here I actually believed the "bring in token vet competition for TJax" was a thing of the past, and that the team was finally going to be serious about bringing in an established QB to get this team over the hump. This is no different than B.Johnson, Frerotte, Bollinger, Holcomb. In Rosenfels, we're getting a guy who had a 79 passer rating [6 TDs/10 INTs] in 2008 play. The only team he had a QB rating above 84 against was... you guessed it, the Vikes pass defense [103 rating 11/2/08]. To those who believe that performance indicates he's a guy who should seriously push Tarvaris, I have to ask "why?" Why is it that Houston's #2 QB, a mediocre performer, is a viable candidate to be the Minnesota Vikings starter? IMHO he's no more than the next journeyman replacement who will come in for a few games after TJax fails (again). Houston getting a 4th for a mediocre backup is highway robbery.

:tfp:
:thumbdown: If this is how they fix the QB position, they better be prepared for a lot of empty seats at the Dome and blackouts on TV.

I can't believe this is their final answer.
Is there a better option out there? There's no one at pick 22 that's going to be day 1 starter material. Garcia doesn't have the arm strength to throw the deep ball anymore. He's a better option and I hope they still bring him in, but I don't think he gets us to the SB. Warner would be grand, but I can't see him leaving Arizona. McNabb isn't available anymore, because Philly once again realized he's good. Cassell only played well out of the shotgun and Minnesota isn't going to play many shotgun formations. Plus, his price tag is too high. Derek Anderson might be available but he's only marginally better than Rosenfels and it'd probably take a 2nd rounder to get him at this point.Really, they needed to bring in someone to really push Jackson. Rosenfels probably won't win the job, but if he does push Jackson to improve himself, then it was worth trading for him.

The biggest concern I have is how little time the Vikings had to throw the ball last year. If they don't put a huge focus on improving their Oline and it's pass protection schemes this offseason, then it won't matter who's at QB.
Billy Volek and Marc Bulger. If we offered a 2nd on either, I'd be happy. Bulger needs a change as that team is in a rebuilding phase. They'll most likely be in a great position to get one of the stud QB's in 2010. San Diego loves to build thru the draft and with Rivers showing us he is in the durability class of a Peyton Manning, time to pull the trigger on dumping the #2 QB for a good pick for AJ Smith.

Is there a better option out there?
3 days before free agency opens? Maybe not. OTOH, I think Garcia is a better fit for this offense than Rosenfels. I just wish we had some inkling that the team was thinking big. Last year we had a gaping need at DE and the front office went full throttle after a game changer, and paid 3 draft picks and committed to a $70 million contract to solve that problem. But at the most important position on the team, they draft a Div. 1AA prospect, bring in old farts like B.Johnson/Frerotte or journeymen types like Bollinger/Holcomb. It really does not make sense. With Tarvaris/Rosenfels I would put the Vikes around 28th-30th at that position in the NFL. Honestly I can't believe Zygi would put up with this solution.

I honestly think that adding Rosenfels and drafting Hakeem Nicks in the first and a right tackle in the 2nd will make this team MUCH better on the offensive side of the ball. They were 12th in scoring offense last season, so if the offense improves and the defense gets EJ back, this team has a great chance at making a run.
Why do we need Nicks (or any WR in the 1st) with Berrian/S.Rice? IMHO bringing in any new WR to be neglected by underperforming QB play is the wrong approach entirely. We need to bring in a QB who is able to utilize the WRs we have. I'd love to see Berrian/Rice in an offense that takes advantage of their skills. Beyond that, I just don't see WR as an early round need. OL/CB/LB in early rounds for me.

:yes:
:thumbdown: If this is how they fix the QB position, they better be prepared for a lot of empty seats at the Dome and blackouts on TV.

Is there a better option out there? There's no one at pick 22 that's going to be day 1 starter material. Garcia doesn't have the arm strength to throw the deep ball anymore. He's a better option and I hope they still bring him in, but I don't think he gets us to the SB. Warner would be grand, but I can't see him leaving Arizona. McNabb isn't available anymore, because Philly once again realized he's good. Cassell only played well out of the shotgun and Minnesota isn't going to play many shotgun formations. Plus, his price tag is too high. Derek Anderson might be available but he's only marginally better than Rosenfels and it'd probably take a 2nd rounder to get him at this point.Really, they needed to bring in someone to really push Jackson. Rosenfels probably won't win the job, but if he does push Jackson to improve himself, then it was worth trading for him.

The biggest concern I have is how little time the Vikings had to throw the ball last year. If they don't put a huge focus on improving their Oline and it's pass protection schemes this offseason, then it won't matter who's at QB.
Billy Volek and Marc Bulger. If we offered a 2nd on either, I'd be happy. Bulger needs a change as that team is in a rebuilding phase. They'll most likely be in a great position to get one of the stud QB's in 2010. San Diego loves to build thru the draft and with Rivers showing us he is in the durability class of a Peyton Manning, time to pull the trigger on dumping the #2 QB for a good pick for AJ Smith.
had there even been a whisper that bulger is going to available? A 2nd for billy volek? That guy is older than sage and has hardly seen the field going on 4 years, he didn't even take a snap last season.

Why do we need Nicks (or any WR in the 1st) with Berrian/S.Rice? IMHO bringing in any new WR to be neglected by underperforming QB play is the wrong approach entirely. We need to bring in a QB who is able to utilize the WRs we have. I'd love to see Berrian/Rice in an offense that takes advantage of their skills. Beyond that, I just don't see WR as an early round need. OL/CB/LB in early rounds for me.
I would agree if Rice is as good as we all hope he is, but to be honest, he really hasn't shown that much. To be fair, the injuries slowed him up, but he isn't (or at least hasn't shown yet) the game changer many thought he would be. If they ignore the position and Rice never pans out, then they are that much farther behind. Nicks has the ability to be that game changer to really allow the offense to open up.

I would agree if Rice is as good as we all hope he is, but to be honest, he really hasn't shown that much. To be fair, the injuries slowed him up, but he isn't (or at least hasn't shown yet) the game changer many thought he would be. If they ignore the position and Rice never pans out, then they are that much farther behind. Nicks has the ability to be that game changer to really allow the offense to open up.
Agree to disagree. Rice is still 22 or some ridiculously young age. IMHO it's impossible to get a read on how good he can be when the Vikes have not had a QB who can get the ball downfield (in bounds). He looked pretty good his rookie year when he was only 20 years old, and obviously he was set back last year by injuries. In any event, finding a replacement for Rice is about the bottom item on my to-do list. If he's given a legit role in a legit passing offense and flops a la Troy Williamson, then yeah... but how many targets did he get last season when he scored 4 TDs on 15 total receptions? Seems like he has a knack for coming down with the ball, and proved to be a deep threat also when given a chance in 2007. At 6'4"/202, seems like he has a bright future. Getting a guy like Nicks to come in and get 20-30 targets himself over an entire season in a horrible passing offense won't do much for me.

:confused:
;) If this is how they fix the QB position, they better be prepared for a lot of empty seats at the Dome and blackouts on TV.

had there even been a whisper that bulger is going to available? A 2nd for billy volek? That guy is older than sage and has hardly seen the field going on 4 years, he didn't even take a snap last season.
My point was if there was someone better out there and for a 2nd rounder I'd rather have Bulger or Volek than give up a 4th for Sage. Volek throws a nice deep ball...and has better numbers. So what Volek is 2 yrs older, like you said he hasn't seen the field much over the last few years, which should be looked as a bonus, not a bad thing.Bottom line we have another QB who is only a filler, a tease for us, not a savior.

:lmao:
:lmao: If this is how they fix the QB position, they better be prepared for a lot of empty seats at the Dome and blackouts on TV.

My point was if there was someone better out there and for a 2nd rounder I'd rather have Bulger or Volek than give up a 4th for Sage. Volek throws a nice deep ball...and has better numbers. So what Volek is 2 yrs older, like you said he hasn't seen the field much over the last few years, which should be looked as a bonus, not a bad thing.Bottom line we have another QB who is only a filler, a tease for us, not a savior.
Volek? Seriously? You are putting up a guy who could not win a starting job vs. another who couldn't win a starting job. Volek has never played in the West Coast Offense and was pouty when he wasn't handed the starting job in Tenn. over Vince Young.I know Sage isn't the splash everyone was hoping for, but remember he played pretty well in 2007 and most Houston fans were calling him to be the starter in Houston over Schaub until Schaub got on a roll midseason. (And after the Indy performance of Sage.) Sage should start here as I really think he is more talented than TJax. We are paying a small price to roll the dice on this.

Those who think Garcia is the savior are quickly forgetting the Detroit and Cleveland years. Yes, Garcia played on bad teams, but at that point he also looked completely washed up. And then last year, he was benched for Griese and only got his job back after Griese got hurt. I know he and Gruden never got along, but still...benched for Griese!

Warner is not going anywhere. Bulger would be injured after 2 games from a sack. Collins...next! Cassel reminds me of Scott Mitchell or Rob Johnson. We are not plugging in a rookie to take his lumps with this talented team.

As you can see, I really do not mind this move much...

:confused:

Heck I'd rather have JP Lostman than Sage right now and I've seen all of JP's career. Sage stunk last year, stunk during his stint in Miami. I'm not jumping on any "Volek will take the Vikings to the Super Bowl" bandwagon but he's BETTER THAN Sage, period.

Sage = 62.5% completion %, 30-29 TD-Int ratio with an 81 QB rating.

Volek = 60% completion %, 26-14 TD-Int ratio, with an 85 QB rating.

I remember very well how Volek played in his last game that meant something, hence he got a very nice raise from the Chargers. Sage is only a stop-gap, which really ticks me off. Maybe the Wolf's have some plan in place for the uncapped year, I don't know. I can only remember three QBs that we've drafted over the last 30+ years that became good QB's, Brad, Tommy gun Kramer and Dante, so I guess we'll have to buy one, but please not Sage.

Someone pinch me so I can wake up from this dream.

A Houston writer really likes Sage.

I think this probably would be an upgrade to the position even if it's not quite to the level we all hoped.
See, I think this is exactly what the Vikings brass were thinking. Bring in a guy who can actually challenge Tarvaris and maybe even win the starting job. It does one really good thing and that is force a true QB competition. Such a competition will only be good for both QBs involved.I think that the team looked at the options out there and realized there isn't a franchise QB available. This means they aren't high on Cassell, or they would've got him. So, they needed to make the team better for the near future, which they accomplished(although not by much), and save money for next year and maybe they'll find what they needed then.

:eek:

Heck I'd rather have JP Lostman than Sage right now and I've seen all of JP's career. Sage stunk last year, stunk during his stint in Miami. I'm not jumping on any "Volek will take the Vikings to the Super Bowl" bandwagon but he's BETTER THAN Sage, period.

I remember very well how Volek played in his last game that meant something, hence he got a very nice raise from the Chargers. Sage is only a stop-gap, which really ticks me off. Maybe the Wolf's have some plan in place for the uncapped year, I don't know. I can only remember three QBs that we've drafted over the last 30+ years that became good QB's, Brad, Tommy gun Kramer and Dante, so I guess we'll have to buy one, but please not Sage.

For who or what? I think the team looked at the market and truely said, "This is as good as we can do without it costing us our future." I honestly hope that TJax does not win the starting job as I cannot stand another season of watching him drive me crazy. He only performs well against weak secondaries. I think for $3 mill a season, it is Sage's job to lose, and I would rather it be him under center than TJax.In fact...give me a QB competition between Gus and Sage. That's just me though... :lmao:

:goodposting:

He was acquired by the Miami Dolphins on August 22, 2002 in exchange for a seventh-round 2003 draft pick, but only threw 48 passes.

In 2005, Rosenfels led Miami's biggest comeback since 1974, when he entered their Week 13 game against the Buffalo Bills. After Gus Frerotte was sidelined by a concussion in the third quarter, Rosenfels entered the game with the Dolphins trailing 23–3. Rosenfels led the team on three fourth-quarter scoring drives as they beat the Bills, 24–23.[1] Two weeks later, Rosenfels entered the game at halftime versus the New York Jets with the score tied 10-10 and led them on two scoring drives to get the win 24-20.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sage_RosenfelsIf that is your definition of stunk, I sure hope he stinks it up in Minnesota.

If Billy Volek is the answer then I dont wanna know the question...

Im OK with Sage, I think he will do fine....

And BTW, when were Bulger or Volek even on the market? Just cause YOU want a guy doesnt mean it is an option...hell, IMO we should call up San Diego and tell them Volek is great, and then offer them a 2nd for Rivers...make it happen Vikes, make it happen...

Minnesota Vikings eye Baltimore Ravens lineman Jason Brown

Childress hopes to re-sign Kleinsasser

By Sean Jensen

sjensen@pioneerpress.com

Posted: 02/24/2009 12:01:00 AM CST

By numerous accounts, the Vikings flew below the proverbial radar in Indianapolis, following an ethos of coach Brad Childress and vice presidents Rob Brzezinski and Rick Spielman.

The Vikings weren't on the tip of the tongues of agents and NFL coaches, personnel executives and scouts in Indianapolis, where the NFL Combine concluded Tuesday, and little buzz surrounded the purple.

But the most high-profile player the Vikings could make a run at is guard-center Jason Brown of the Baltimore Ravens.

Two NFL sources said that was the scuttlebutt about the Vikings making the rounds in Indianapolis.

Brown fits the mold established by Childress and company, a young star in the making, with plenty of experience and upside.

Brown is just 25 years old; he is versatile, with 45 NFL starts at guard and center; and he is of high character, active in the Ravens' community efforts.

The Vikings may have shifted their focus to Brown after right tackle Jordan Gross signed a lucrative six-year contract to remain with the Carolina Panthers last Thursday.

But the Vikings could have plenty of competition for Brown. Given the aforementioned reasons, especially his versatility, Brown could have many options later this week. He also would be expensive.

It is believed he wants a better deal than Jeff Faine, a center who signed a six-year, $37.5 million contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last offseason that included $15 million in guarantees, and he covets a deal that pays him more like a guard.

Last season, former Pittsburgh Steeler Alan Faneca signed a five-year, $40 million contract with the New York Jets that included $21 million in guarantees.

If the Vikings don't land Brown, one intriguing possibility could be Jeff Saturday, formerly of the Indianapolis Colts. Saturday, 33, is older than Vikings veteran Matt Birk, but he could provide leadership and more time for John Sullivan (a sixth-round pick last year out of Notre Dame) to develop.

NFL rules prohibit team officials from speaking with the agents of free-agent players before free agency opens at 11 p.m. Thursday. But team officials and agents often have preliminary discussions at the NFL Combine and then unofficially plan visits a day or two before free agency.

The Vikings are about $30 million under the $123 million salary cap, and they must spend at least $13 million to fulfill the league-mandated salary cap minimum.

Of their unrestricted free agents, the Vikings are expected to make the biggest push to re-sign tight end Jim Kleinsasser. Safety Darren Sharper and center Matt Birk have Pro Bowl credentials, but neither is believed to be a priority for the Vikings. Kleinsasser, meanwhile, could draw interest from a handful of teams, given his reputation as one of the league's top pass-blocking tight ends.

While his preference is to remain with the Vikings, Kleinsasser is open to playing elsewhere. The Jacksonville Jaguars, where former Vikings head coach Mike Tice is an assistant, is believed to be interested.

Birk is expected to draw interest because at least a third of the teams in the league could be in the market for a center. Sharper also shouldn't have a problem getting a job, perhaps landing in New Orleans or Chicago.

While the Vikings agreed to terms with Charles Gordon on a one-year contract Tuesday, cornerback could be a point of emphasis in free agency or the draft. Gordon is still recovering from a broken leg suffered in November, and former third-round pick Marcus McCauley has been a disappointment. In addition, contracts for starters Antoine Winfield and Cedric Griffin expire after the 2009 season.

Given the expensive contracts given to cornerbacks — Nnamdi Asomugha signed a three-year contract that guaranteed him $28.5 million in the first two years — the Vikings could do some bargain shopping in the second phase of free agency.

One intriguing player is Chris McAlister, a three-time Pro Bowl selection released by the Ravens earlier in the offseason. He is known for his physical play but has been dogged with injuries the past two seasons.

And if the price is right, the Vikings could be in the market for a defensive and/or offensive tackle.

With Pat Williams and Kevin Williams facing possible four-game suspensions, as well as Pat Williams turning 37 during the season, the Vikings could use some depth at one of their positions of strength. As for offensive tackle, the Vikings would like to upgrade, most likely through the draft.

Stacy Andrews (Cincinnati Bengals), Khalif Barnes (Jaguars), Marvel Smith (Pittsburgh Steelers), Jon Stinchcomb (New Orleans Saints), Mark Tauscher (Green Bay Packers) and Tra Thomas (Philadelphia Eagles) are among the top free agents available at offensive tackle.

Getting Brown would be unbelievable. I personally think he's the best young center in the league. If the Vikings somehow landed him and were able to get a good right tackle in the draft, that Oline could be set for the next 4+ years.

I really hope we sign Kleinsasser. I think he's one of the most important pieces of our run blocking success.

encaitar said:
Getting Brown would be unbelievable. I personally think he's the best young center in the league. If the Vikings somehow landed him and were able to get a good right tackle in the draft, that Oline could be set for the next 4+ years.
:confused: I'll miss Birk, but this kid looks to be the real deal.

Of their unrestricted free agents, the Vikings are expected to make the biggest push to re-sign tight end Jim Kleinsasser. Safety Darren Sharper and center Matt Birk have Pro Bowl credentials, but neither is believed to be a priority for the Vikings. Kleinsasser, meanwhile, could draw interest from a handful of teams, given his reputation as one of the league's top pass-blocking tight ends.
Really? The Strib seems to be printing the opposite.This seems to contradict that statement. In my opinion, they will resign the hometown boy...

Just another reason why Matt Birk is my favorite NFL player. Although, if he signs with the Vikings again, he better play better than he did last year. He's still my favorite guy! (BTW, BS is Bob Sansevere for those of you wondering about the interview)

After spending his 11-year NFL career with the Vikings, center Matt Birk becomes a free agent at midnight. What's he thinking? That's what I wanted to know when I talked to him.

BS: Have you had much contact with the Vikings about re-signing with them?

MB: They've talked to my agent. Talks have been productive, I think.

BS: How confident are you that you will be back with the Vikings?

MB: It's too early to say. I don't know. We'll see what happens with this free-agency thing. I've never been through it. I'm looking forward to it ending soon, knowing one way or the other where me and my family will be.

BS: So, your family will go with you and not stay behind in Minnesota?

MB: Yes, they'll be with me. But whatever happens, Minnesota will always be home.

BS: When free agency begins, will you be crisscrossing the country visiting teams?

MB: I've got nothing. I don't even know what I'm having for dinner tonight. I think I'm ordering pizza.

BS: Will you be awake at midnight to field calls from your agent or interested teams?

MB: No. It's kind of like New Year's. I'll be sleeping.

BS: Is the thought of free agency exciting or nerve-racking?

MB: No, it's a pain in the butt. It's a pain because I have to answer questions like this.

BS: Is retirement an option?

MB: No. I plan to play. It could be in the NFL. It could be Canada. Italy is intriguing. Did you ever read "Playing for Pizza" by John Grisham? Playing in Italy sounds like a pretty good time.

BS: How many more years would you like to play?

MB: Just as long as my body holds up and it makes sense for my family, and I'm having fun doing it, I'll play. I didn't think I'd play this long.

BS: Do you feel you're still in your prime?

MB: I don't know what my prime is. I certainly feel I still can be productive. If I didn't feel that way, I wouldn't play anymore.

BS: You missed the 2005 season and part of the 2004 season with hip and sports hernia injuries. Do you feel that missing that time might have put less wear and tear on your body and added a few seasons to your career?

MB: That one season I took off, when I look back, I'm grateful it worked out the way it did. Had I tried to play through it that year, I wouldn't have been successful and my body would have been done.

BS: Any advice for the Vikings?

MB: Advice for them? Just keep doing what they've been doing. They've done a hell of a job putting the pieces together here. They do their homework and time and time again they bring in good, quality guys.
LINK

Just another reason why Matt Birk is my favorite NFL player. Although, if he signs with the Vikings again, he better play better than he did last year. He's still my favorite guy! (BTW, BS is Bob Sansevere for those of you wondering about the interview)
Birk's great. I'll be sad if he doesn't resign... ideally for me we resign Birk to stay at Center and pick up Jason Brown to play at Guard over Herrera. We'd still need to replace Cook in that scenario, however. If we don't resign Birk, I'll still be hoping we go after Brown. He seems like another high character guy.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_11774999

Unless I'm missing something it seems complety :lmao: to me that the Vikings don't try and sign Kurt Warner. :thumbup:

If he is going to hit the market, and isn't asking for 10 Million a year, he could be the link that pushes them to the next level next year.

Sage?? Not so much.. IMO, he can be good at times, but GOD awful at other times.. don't we already have that with TJ :goodposting:

Unless I'm missing something it seems complety :loco: to me that the Vikings don't try and sign Kurt Warner. :cry: If he is going to hit the market, and isn't asking for 10 Million a year, he could be the link that pushes them to the next level next year.Sage?? Not so much.. IMO, he can be good at times, but GOD awful at other times.. don't we already have that with TJ :shrug:
Meh, I read a transcript from an interview where Warner said he and his agent are trying to 'maximize' his 2009 salary since he's taken less the last few years and earned the right to get more. Reportedly he is demanding $10-$12 million. I love Warner, but I just doubt the team pursues a 1-year guy operating under that mentality. I think I read Arizona offered $8 mill, so we'd no doubt have to beat that. If an old 1-year big $$ guy like that gets injured, you're basically double-effed. We had a better chance of pursuing Favre who would probably do a sweetheart deal with Minnesota/Chicago just to get an opportunity to stick it to GB twice a year.

Warner wants a lot of money. 12 million or more per year, 2-3 year deal, most everywhere I've read. I agree he'd be the signing to get, but he still wants to play in Arizona and doesn't want to move his family, but he wants Arizona to give him the bank even though they know that, out of respect I guess.

Probably not in the cards for the Vikings, even though it would be the right thing to do for the club given the cap space remaining and what he'd mean for the team.

I just don't see Sage for a 4th when u could try out Leftwhich, garcia, JP, or even possibly warner and not have to give up a pick I just don't get it and don't see it being the answer. Especially now that Warner will become an unrestricted free agent cause no deal got done with arizona...Heck I would even rather try out Grossman or Collins...Sage gas been horrible and there is a reason why he has been a lifelong backup...But I guess the positive way to look at it is if it happens the Vikes will then have the top group of backup qbs...

It has gone a little under the radar but I like the signing of Jayme Mitchell to the two year deal. I thought he played well two years ago and thought he would challenge Edwards last year and then he got hurt. He is quality, young depth for the D-Line. I like his ability if he can come back from injury.

It has gone a little under the radar but I like the signing of Jayme Mitchell to the two year deal. I thought he played well two years ago and thought he would challenge Edwards last year and then he got hurt. He is quality, young depth for the D-Line. I like his ability if he can come back from injury.

Users who are viewing this thread