What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2009 Minnesota Vikings Offseason Thread *** (1 Viewer)

What the hell is Percy Harvin doing holding out? The picks right in front of you and behind you are signed. You are trying to overcome the idiot positive test from the combine and you're falling behind. WTH??

I'm thinking this guy might be as dumb as I originally thought.

What the hell is Percy Harvin doing holding out? The picks right in front of you and behind you are signed. You are trying to overcome the idiot positive test from the combine and you're falling behind. WTH??I'm thinking this guy might be as dumb as I originally thought.
My guess is that the team is trying to include language to protect a bit from his off the field stuff. I would think that would be the only thing holding up this deal, because everyone drafted around him is signed.

From all the tweets I've been reading from Vikings' reporters, it sounds like both Darius Reynaud and Jaymar Johnson are having really good starts to camp. It will be interesting to see if they keep playing well, what will happen with Bobby Wade. I like Wade and think he is a consistent slot player, but doesn't have the explosiveness of these guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Wade didn't make the team. It would be a bit of a gamble with a solid team like this, but wouldn't be surprised to see them go with Berrian, Rice, Harvin, Reynaud, Johnson and Allison, assuming they carry six. It might be interesting.

From all the tweets I've been reading from Vikings' reporters, it sounds like both Darius Reynaud and Jaymar Johnson are having really good starts to camp. It will be interesting to see if they keep playing well, what will happen with Bobby Wade. I like Wade and think he is a consistent slot player, but doesn't have the explosiveness of these guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Wade didn't make the team. It would be a bit of a gamble with a solid team like this, but wouldn't be surprised to see them go with Berrian, Rice, Harvin, Reynaud, Johnson and Allison, assuming they carry six. It might be interesting.
:thumbup: Really?No way they cut ties with Wade. First of all he is the consumate professional. Secondly their receiving corps/team need a leader and Wade has shown that he is that. Wade is the only one with experience to show these young guys how to get open and how to catch the ball. He is also very reliable on third down and has a knack for sitting down in a zone and getting open. No way he is gone. Allison...maybe, Wade, no way!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vikes Fan said:
FunkyPlutos said:
:thumbup: Really?No way they cut ties with Wade. First of all he is the consumate professional. Secondly their receiving corps/team need a leader and Wade has shown that he is that. Wade is the only one with experience to show these young guys how to get open and how to catch the ball. He is also very reliable on third down and has a knack for sitting down in a zone and getting open. No way he is gone. Allison...maybe, Wade, no way!
It's hard to say. Sure veteran leadership is important, but at this point the coaches might expect Berrian to provide it. I agree with you, however, that Wade has an edge on Allison. If Harvin and either Johnson or Reynaud can handle kicks then I don't see a spot for Aundrae.

Kevin Seifert says in his ESPN blog that the Vikings are looking to trade Allison and will waive him if there are no takers. Looks like Reynaud and Johnson really have been impressive in camp.

ETA: Link

Kevin Seifert says in his ESPN blog that the Vikings are looking to trade Allison and will waive him if there are no takers. Looks like Reynaud and Johnson really have been impressive in camp.

ETA: Link
Interesting...
MANKATO - The Vikings waived Aundrae Allison on Tuesday afternoon, ending a bizarre day that began with the wide receiver's agent using his Twitter account to update his client's situation.

Allison was not on the field as practice began in the morning and the reason became clear when Drew Rosenhaus tweeted that the Vikings had informed him they would waive Allison by 5 p.m. if he wasn't traded first. If Allison had any value, Rosenhaus' tweet about Allison's impending release alerted the rest of the NFL and meant the team wasn't going to get anything for him.

This couldn't have thrilled Vikings officials, who saw Rosenhaus on Monday when he visited Mankato. Vikings coach Brad Childress addressed the media twice Tuesday, but both times were before the Allison move became official, so he would not comment on the situation.

While Allison being jettisoned did not come as a surprise -- he appeared to be a long shot to make the final 53-man roster -- the transaction came only five days into camp and caught some off guard. Teams aren't required to make their first cuts until Sept. 1.

So why the quick exit? Allison, a fifth-round pick by the Vikings in 2007 out of East Carolina, struggled with his route assignments. Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said last August that Allison's freelancing on the field could be a problem. At the time, Bevell referred to Allison as a "cowboy" and a "free rider," before adding, "We tell this to Aundrae all of the time: He is his own worst enemy."

Allison had 18 catches for 231 yards in 26 games with the Vikings. He also was used on kickoffs and punt returns and had an average of 25.9 yards on 26 kick returns and a touchdown. The TD came on Dec. 2, 2007 against Detroit when Allison went 104 yards, setting a Vikings record for the longest play.

Allison's departure leaves 10 wide receivers on what is now a 79-man roster. The Vikings will be able to add a player.
Link

Any thoughts? I am a little surprised not to see GHolt anywhere in the KR is he going to make the team?

http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=3153

Final Mankato practices and a depth chart

OFFENSE

WR 87 Bernard Berrian — 11 Jaymar Johnson — 82 Darius Reynaud or 16 Glenn Holt or 13 Bobby Williams

LT 74 Bryant McKinnie — 79 Artis Hicks — 60 Drew Radovich

LG 76 Steve Hutchinson — 75 Chris Clark — 72 Juan Garcia

C 65 John Sullivan — 68 Jon Cooper — 62 Ryan Cook

RG 64 Anthony Herrera — 63 Brian Daniels — 78 Andy Kemp

RT 71 Phil Loadholt — 62 Ryan Cook — 66 Nick Urban

TE 81 Visanthe Shiancoe — 40 Jim Kleinsasser — 83 Jeff Dugan – 45 Garrett Mills

WR 18 Sidney Rice — 19 Bobby Wade — 12 Percy Harvin or 15 Vinny Perretta or 14 Nick Moore

QB 7 Tarvaris Jackson/Sage Rosenfels (no starter listed) — 4 John David Booty

FB 38 Naufahu Tahi — 32 Nehemiah Broughton

HB 28 Adrian Peterson — 29 Chester Taylor — 34 Albert Young or 36 Kahlil Bell or 35 Antone Smith

DEFENSE

LE 91 Ray Edwards — 92 Jayme Mitchell — 99 Otis Grigsby

NT 94 Pat Williams – 90 Fred Evans — 73 Jimmy Kennedy — 97 Antoine Holmes

UT 93 Kevin Williams — 98 Letroy Guion — 95 Tremaine Johnson

RE 69 Jared Allen — 96 Brian Robison — 61 Martail Burnett

SLB 52 Chad Greenway — 59 Heath Farwell — 55 Kenny Onatolu

MLB 56 E.J. Henderson — 58 David Herron — 54 Jasper Brinkley

WLB 51 Ben Leber — 50 Erin Henderson — 57 Robert Francois

LCB 26 Antoine Winfield — 21 Marcus McCauley — 41 Karl Paymah — 24 Marcus Walker

RCB 23 Cedric Griffin — 22 Benny Sapp — 30 Asher Allen — 27 Derrick Roberson

SS 25 Tyrell Johnson — 33 Jamarca Sanford — 37 Eric Frampton

FS 20 Madieu Williams — 39 Husain Abdullah — 44 De’von Hall — 49 Colt Anderson

SPECIAL TEAMS

P 5 Chris Kluwe

K 8 Ryan Longwell — 3 Taylor Mehlhaff

LS 46 Cullen Loeffler

H 5 Chris Kluwe

KR 12 Percy Harvin — 11 Jaymar Johnson — 82 Darius Reynaud

PR 11 Jaymar Johnson — 12 Percy Harvin — 87 Bernard Berrian

Not to make a big deal of depth charts this early but Harvin buried that deep at WR?

Just because he was late and not up to speed yet?

My attempt at 53(offense)

Qb

Favre

Rosenfels

Booty

Rb

Peterson

Taylor

Young

Fb

Tahi

Dugan

Te

Shiancoe

Kleinsasser

Mills

Wr

Berrian

Rice

Harvin

Wade

Reynauld

Ol

Mckinnie

Hutchinson

Sullivan

Herrera

Loadholt

Cook

Hicks

Radovich

K

Longwell

Ls

Loeffler

Attempt at 53 continued(defense)

De

Allen

Edwards

Robison

Mitchell

Grigsby

Dt

Williams

Williams

Evans

Guion

Olb

Greenway

Leber

Henderson

Farwell

Herron

Mlb

Henderson

Brinkley

Cb

Winfield

Griffin

Sapp

Allen

Mccauley

Paymah

S

Johnson

Williams

Abdullah

Frampton

P

Kluwe

Biggest questions/battles:

Do they keep 4qbs? Keep Tarvaris over Booty?

Reynauld or Jaymar Johnson?

Keep Taylor Melhaff for kickoffs?

Otis Grigsby or Jimmy Kennedy? Are they confident that Pat and Kev won't get suspended to only keep 2 backup dts?

Keep a 9th offensive lineman? Brian Daniels?

I don't like our backup safteys so I kept 6 cb's. Mccauley and Paymah are on the brink. Would like to sign a veteran saftey.

Ian Johson looks pretty good, possibly keeping him too. If not hopefully PS.

Last 5 cut:

Tarvaris Jackson

Jaymar Johnson

Brian Daniels

Jimmy Kennedy

Ian Johnson

As much as he'd help our safety position some, I'll pass on Brian Williams....we have our quota on "Williams" already. :shrug:

I hope we end up signing Ian Johnson to the practice squad. The guy has a heart of a lion. I'd assume Booty and Johnson will be part of our taxi squad group.

As much as he'd help our safety position some, I'll pass on Brian Williams....we have our quota on "Williams" already. :confused: I hope we end up signing Ian Johnson to the practice squad. The guy has a heart of a lion. I'd assume Booty and Johnson will be part of our taxi squad group.
Yeah, if they don't get claimed. I think Booty has a better chance because of all the QBs that got waived. Lot of teams went with only 2 QBs. I'm worried about Johnson. He looked very good and with a year of practice, he could very well be a great backup next year(assuming Chester leaves). Hopefully other teams look past him.As for other PS guys, I'm betting Nick Moore, Colt Anderson, Vinny Perretta, and Bobby Williams all have a shot of being on it if they clear waivers.I'm happy they kept TJack as I think he's our best backup right now(Sage looked poor in the last three preseason games). Plus, maybe he'll finally figure it out with a year watching and learning from Brett.

As much as he'd help our safety position some, I'll pass on Brian Williams....we have our quota on "Williams" already. :D I hope we end up signing Ian Johnson to the practice squad. The guy has a heart of a lion. I'd assume Booty and Johnson will be part of our taxi squad group.
Yeah, if they don't get claimed. I think Booty has a better chance because of all the QBs that got waived. Lot of teams went with only 2 QBs. I'm worried about Johnson. He looked very good and with a year of practice, he could very well be a great backup next year(assuming Chester leaves). Hopefully other teams look past him.As for other PS guys, I'm betting Nick Moore, Colt Anderson, Vinny Perretta, and Bobby Williams all have a shot of being on it if they clear waivers.I'm happy they kept TJack as I think he's our best backup right now(Sage looked poor in the last three preseason games). Plus, maybe he'll finally figure it out with a year watching and learning from Brett.
Sage and Booty looked like they learned some from Brett...how to throw it to the other team to return it for 6? :D

What's the deal on the suspensions front? It's getting close to the opening week and we haven't (or at least I haven't) heard anything yet.

Well, Williams Wall is a go for week 1. That's a good thing for the Vikings as I'd rather they miss the STL game than the Cleveland game, but hopefully we'll know the score before next Tuesday as I don't want them sitting out against Baltimore in week 6. Anway, looking forward to Sunday, almost time to start the ***Official Minnesota Vikings 2009 Season Thread****

Harvin is an interesting pick if you are patient IMO>I don't think he will take as much pressure off the run game right away as some of you might think.He is not a polished WR...but man can he break a play and change the game and could help on special teams (though, for some reason, he did not do returns much for Florida).I don't think he is a huge impact right away.
:thumbup:

As much as he'd help our safety position some, I'll pass on Brian Williams....we have our quota on "Williams" already. :D I hope we end up signing Ian Johnson to the practice squad. The guy has a heart of a lion. I'd assume Booty and Johnson will be part of our taxi squad group.
Sage and Booty looked like they learned some from Brett...how to throw it to the other team to return it for 6? :D
:thumbup:

I absolutely love the Minnesota Vikings since I have been a little girl. I watch every game of them. In six months I will move to Minneapolis and I am really looking forward to it. Then I can go to the stadium and see them live as often as they are playing there. I always wanted to live in Minnesota. It is such a great state and the Vikings are the best.

Users who are viewing this thread