What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2010 Philadelphia Eagles Thread *** (2 Viewers)

Good work by you DH. :goodposting:

A few questions though:

1st round they are looking at DE, CB and OL (in that order).
Do you mean the positions in general? Or one specific player at each of those positions for #24?
2nd round they have some safeties and LBs they like and might trade up with their second 2nd round pick. The QB that wasn't an option in the 1st is absolutely an option in this round. Do not be surprised if they take him with 2.4.
You mean trading up from #55 to get a S or LB and still using #37?

Good work by you DH. :goodposting:

A few questions though:

Do you mean the positions in general? Or one specific player at each of those positions for #24?
2nd round they have some safeties and LBs they like and might trade up with their second 2nd round pick. The QB that wasn't an option in the 1st is absolutely an option in this round. Do not be surprised if they take him with 2.4.
For # 24 they have specific players in mind. The guy (singular) they really like at DE they don't expect to drop. They guys (plural) at CB they expect to be there. I truely think they go CB in the first from what I could tell.Yes, I was talking ablut trading up from 55 in to maybe the mid-40s . They will use the 37 pick.

id be shocked if the qb they want in round 2 is tebow its probably mccoy
Thought about that too. I can see McCoy dropping to the 2nd. Regardless, McNabb got ran out of town by the FO cause of the Kolb pick, now if they take another QB in the 2nd...( puts Redskins jersey on )..lets roll

Good work by you DH. :shock:

A few questions though:

For # 24 they have specific players in mind. The guy (singular) they really like at DE they don't expect to drop. They guys (plural) at CB they expect to be there. I truely think they go CB in the first from what I could tell.Yes, I was talking ablut trading up from 55 in to maybe the mid-40s . They will use the 37 pick.
When you say CB are we talking Earl Thomas type CB or Kyle Wilson type?

id be shocked if the qb they want in round 2 is tebow its probably mccoy
Thought about that too. I can see McCoy dropping to the 2nd. Regardless, McNabb got ran out of town by the FO cause of the Kolb pick, now if they take another QB in the 2nd...( puts Redskins jersey on )..lets roll
holy moly if we go qb in round 2 then they must feel a little better about the lb's and safety situation than I do. And absolutely agree that if we draft McCoy/I can't even type his name, the Kolb thing is going to be even crazier with that added to the mix.

Alright, here's what I was able to get from my conversation on Saturday:

1st round they are looking at DE, CB and OL (in that order). I'm told a trade DOWN is not totally out of the question as they have certain specific guys they are looking at and if several of them are falling they might just try to pick up some extra draft choices. Do not look for them to trade up unless someone is pratically giving their pick away. A certain QB is not an option in the 1st from what I can gather.

3rd round the are looking at QB if the QB they want in the 2nd is not there. They will otherwise take BPA at Either OL, CB, DE or LB depending on who they take earlier.

I'm sorry I can't name specific names (as usual) but as things become clearer closer to draft day, I'll try to strongly hint like I did last year with Maclin.
Thanks for the insight DH. I know that we would all like more information, but it is nice to get an understanding as to what they are thinking and looking at. It shouldn't surprise us that they are looking at CB, because I think that was a given and helped in the trading of Brown.

By the end of the 2nd round, if we could get something like: Kyle Wilson, Tebow and Daryl Washington, I would be doing backflips...

By the end of the 2nd round, if we could get something like: Kyle Wilson, Tebow and Daryl Washington, I would be doing backflips...
Tebow in the second seems like a wasted pick to me. I would much rather see DE like Wootten taken. Probably would have to move up to get K Wilson don't you think?

Deranged Hermit said:
Alright, here's what I was able to get from my conversation on Saturday:1st round they are looking at DE, CB and OL (in that order). I'm told a trade DOWN is not totally out of the question as they have certain specific guys they are looking at and if several of them are falling they might just try to pick up some extra draft choices. Do not look for them to trade up unless someone is pratically giving their pick away. A certain QB is not an option in the 1st from what I can gather.2nd round they have some safeties and LBs they like and might trade up with their second 2nd round pick. The QB that wasn't an option in the 1st is absolutely an option in this round. Do not be surprised if they take him with 2.4.3rd round the are looking at QB if the QB they want in the 2nd is not there. They will otherwise take BPA at Either OL, CB, DE or LB depending on who they take earlier.I'm sorry I can't name specific names (as usual) but as things become clearer closer to draft day, I'll try to strongly hint like I did last year with Maclin.
Thanks DH.I'm rather confident now that they'll (rightly) go CB. I expect Kyle Wilson, who is a Rutgers-area product, so that local area feel for him will do well for him and the area. I hope they don't get Tebow as that's a waste if they go there in Round 2. I do want to see them get a QB, but Skelton on Day 3 makes much more sense. They need more LB help on Day 2.

I would love to see them come away with Wilson, Weatherspoon and N. Allen in the first two rounds :popcorn:
I would be very content with that
I would love to see them come away with Wilson, Weatherspoon and N. Allen in the first two rounds :wub:
That would be quite the haul. They could pick 4 QB's after that and I wouldn't care.
Exactly. I know Andy has a good draft track record (Sporting News gave him a B grade and put him 10th among current war rooms based on the last 5 years), and that he'll take BPA and stick to his board. But just once it would be awesome to see the best players on his board also fit immediate needs that we layman can all identify. I just look at our roster and don't see how we can't come away with at least two linebackers that will compete for playing time immediately, and a safety/CB that can be at least a part of nickel/dime packages.

I would love to see them come away with Wilson, Weatherspoon and N. Allen in the first two rounds :popcorn:
I would be very content with that
I would love to see them come away with Wilson, Weatherspoon and N. Allen in the first two rounds :wub:
That would be quite the haul. They could pick 4 QB's after that and I wouldn't care.
Exactly. I know Andy has a good draft track record (Sporting News gave him a B grade and put him 10th among current war rooms based on the last 5 years), and that he'll take BPA and stick to his board. But just once it would be awesome to see the best players on his board also fit immediate needs that we layman can all identify. I just look at our roster and don't see how we can't come away with at least two linebackers that will compete for playing time immediately, and a safety/CB that can be at least a part of nickel/dime packages.
In all this talk about CB and LB (completely justified BTW) not much is being said about upfront. Other than Cole this team has absoutely no passrush which leads me to beleive that this is taking at least two years to fix on the defensive side. Upfront is where it all starts IMO. I also think Samuel has started to play himseld into a doghouse he may not get out from under. Which is ridicolous considering he was brought in to create turnovers (which he does)

Gold Standard said:
In all this talk about CB and LB (completely justified BTW) not much is being said about upfront. Other than Cole this team has absoutely no passrush which leads me to beleive that this is taking at least two years to fix on the defensive side. Upfront is where it all starts IMO. I also think Samuel has started to play himseld into a doghouse he may not get out from under. Which is ridicolous considering he was brought in to create turnovers (which he does)
No doubt. I would have zero problem with them taking a 4-3 DE early either. But just based on what DH was saying, and where the prospects seem to be slotting, it doesn't seem like there are any obvious fits where we're drafting that wouldn't be seen as a reach. Now to be clear, if the Eagles feel really good about a guy, I don't care about them "reaching" but just based on the layman's view of the draft, it's hard to see what DE they would take that would be enticing. I'm not a Dunlap fan, and I think Graham goes to a 3-4 team more likely.

Gold Standard said:
In all this talk about CB and LB (completely justified BTW) not much is being said about upfront. Other than Cole this team has absoutely no passrush which leads me to beleive that this is taking at least two years to fix on the defensive side.
Don't forget about Tapp. Not saying that is all they need to do, but he will help. If the season started tomorrow, he would start opposite Cole. Too bad Brandon Graham will be gone by the time we pick.

Gold Standard said:
In all this talk about CB and LB (completely justified BTW) not much is being said about upfront. Other than Cole this team has absoutely no passrush which leads me to beleive that this is taking at least two years to fix on the defensive side.
Don't forget about Tapp. Not saying that is all they need to do, but he will help. If the season started tomorrow, he would start opposite Cole. Too bad Brandon Graham will be gone by the time we pick.
Having never seen Tapp play, Ray Didinger (who is honestly the only opinion on WIP I trust) compared him to an N.D. Kalu. Ehhh. I'm all for dialing up schemes to get to the QB like JJ used to do, but in the end, you have to have the horses up front to get there.

Gold Standard said:
Having never seen Tapp play, Ray Didinger (who is honestly the only opinion on WIP I trust) compared him to an N.D. Kalu. Ehhh. I'm all for dialing up schemes to get to the QB like JJ used to do, but in the end, you have to have the horses up front to get there.
Ray Diddy also LOVED Cade McNown.

[quote name

I know the Eagles front office could care less (rightfully so, I've defended them on this issue many times in the past) about fan perception, but I just really, really, REALLY don't want to have to wrap my head around the idea that we effectively traded McNabb for Tebow. Andy, don't do us like that. :stalker:

I agree I don't really want Tebow at all but if Reid likes him in the 3rd then I'm fine with it but he is way to much of a project IMO to be pick 37 when you have so many other needs. The only reason I could see the Eagles taking any Qb at 37 is if they don't have as much faith in Kolb as they say.

Gold Standard said:
Ray Diddy also LOVED Cade McNown.
And also wanted Justin McCareins over TO. I love the guy but his player evaluation skills are lacking.

Gold Standard said:
No doubt. I would have zero problem with them taking a 4-3 DE early either. But just based on what DH was saying, and where the prospects seem to be slotting, it doesn't seem like there are any obvious fits where we're drafting that wouldn't be seen as a reach. Now to be clear, if the Eagles feel really good about a guy, I don't care about them "reaching" but just based on the layman's view of the draft, it's hard to see what DE they would take that would be enticing. I'm not a Dunlap fan, and I think Graham goes to a 3-4 team more likely.
Would Everson Griffen be a reach? I've seen mock drafts where he goes to Philly.Pierre-Paul might slip enough for a minor trade up, like Maclin last year.

More from Lawlor:

We were fortunate to have the chance to interview Tommy Lawlor a few days ago, regarding the 2010 NFL Draft. If you don’t know Tommy, know this: He is twice as a good as Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay….combined. Or at least I think so.Tommy is well known and well liked by the Eagle fans that dwell the Philadelphia Eagles message board. He is the "go-to-guy” when it comes to draft questions and Eagles’ game reviews. His evaluations of Eagle games and players are very detailed and engrossing.Because Tommy Lawlor knows his pigskin, I decided to conduct an interview with the "Eagles’ Einstein” to hear his thoughts on the Philadelphia Eagles and the 2010 NFL Draft! Enjoy!------------------------------1. Only 9 days away from the draft, what are the top needs for the Philadelphia Eagles?Tommy: The Eagles allowed 27 TD passes last year. They must improve the secondary. I don’t think anyone trusts Ellis Hobbs as the starting right corner. That is priority number one. Free safety is still a major question mark. Macho Harris was okay as a rookie, but hardly played so well that you feel comfortable with him as the solution. Quintin Demps needs to bounce back in a major way. Marlin Jackson is still a mystery. We really need to bring in a good free safety. Defensive end needs at least a mid-round player for depth. Weakside linebacker must be addressed. We need depth at O-line, defensive tackle, running back, and wide receiver.2. As of now, the Eagles have 11 draft picks to work with. Most likely, the Eagles will not use all of these picks on players. If the Eagles do decide to trade up in the 1st round, which prospect do you think they would target?Tommy: The key trade-up targets are safeties Eric Berry and Earl Thomas. I feel pretty strong in saying that the Eagles are like a lot of teams that covet Berry. Thomas is more of a mystery. Is he worth pick 10, 15, or 20? Is there a possibility he lasts to 24? There is a real split in the scouting community on him. Older guys who value tackling and run defense see Earl as a 2nd round player. Younger guys that value playmakers in the passing game think he’s a top flight prospect. Grades on Earl are all over the place. Idaho guard Mike Iupati could be a player that Andy Reid loves and would move up for. Defensive end Derrick Morgan could be a target if he slides outside the Top 10.3. In recent drafts, the Eagles traded some of their picks for veteran NFL players (Ellis Hobbs, Lorenzo Booker). If the Eagles decide to go that route again this year, what are some possible names they could and should target?Tommy: The two positions where I think the Eagles could make a move are cornerback and linebacker. The one cornerback that’s on the market that might make some sense is Richard Marshall of Carolina. They have some young players in place. They don’t have a 1st round pick this year. Marshall won’t get them a 1st, but he could help by adding some more firepower in the draft. The big name at linebacker is Derrick Johnson of the Chiefs. He fell out of favor with the new coaching staff and mainly played in the nickel defense. Johnson is still very talented. He also has played all 3 linebacker spots. You value that kind of versatility. Another name I’ll just throw out there is A.J. Hawk. He isn’t an ideal fit in the Packers 3-4 defense, but I’m not sure if he’s on the trade block or not.4. Who is your sleeper prospect that doesn’t get much media hype but will be an excellent addition to the Birds?Tommy: One interesting sleeper idea is Arizona State linebacker Travis Goethel. If we miss on taking a weakside ‘backer early on, we could go for a guy like Goethel later in the draft. He has some size and is an aggressive, physical player that fights lead blockers. We like those kind of linebackers. He’s also a good athlete and could help us on special teams.5. Who would you rather have the Eagles select?* CB Kyle Wilson or CB Devin McCourtyTommy: Wilson is a complete corner and definite 1st rounder. McCourty is a good prospect, but a notch below. The question is whether Wilson lasts to pick 24.* DE Everson Griffen or DE Carlos DunlapTommy: Griffen is a junior with a lot of talent, but who never seemed to put it all together. Dunlap had a very up and down season. He had a DUI prior to the SEC title game. He didn’t have the strongest Combine. Griffen is the safer choice.* OL Mike Iupati or C Maurkice PounceyTommy: Iupati is a player with dominant potential. He is the best finisher among the blockers in the draft. He wants you on the ground. Or in it. Pouncey is the top center prospect. He is a good player, but I don’t seem as high on him as others. I would definitely take Iupati.* S Eric Berry or S Earl ThomasTommy: Berry is a complete safety. He can play the run and pass. He can cover man or zone. He can blitz. He is a playmaker. He can play in the box. Earl is very good in coverage and a good playmaker, but his hitting and tackling is very inconsistent. He was terrible against the run in the national title game.6. Is there any chance that former Florida QB Tim Tebow gets drafted by Philadelphia?Tommy: Never say never when it comes to Andy Reid and quarterbacks. Tebow could be a role player and someone to develop so that we could trade him in a year or two. I don’t see this as likely, but it is possible. Any rumors about the Eagles and Tebow could be spread behind the scenes by the Eagles. They would do this so that teams might aggressively trade up to 24 or 37, depending on how far Tebow falls. Someone who covets Tebow might pay a handsome price to get him.7. With the 24th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select…Tommy: CB Kyle Wilson, Boise State.8. Open forum: Say anything you would like to say that hasn’t been mentioned yet, regarding the 2010 Draft Class and the Philadelphia Eagles.Tommy: This is a deep draft class. The Eagles have plenty of picks. Expect the team to be active, but not to do too much trading up. Last year was a weak draft. The Eagles didn’t take a player in the 3rd or 4th round. That won’t happen this year. The team could trade back, starting at 24. You can acquire additional mid round picks and then deal up in those rounds if you want. The Eagles do need to add at least 6 players in the first 4 rounds. We have holes to fill.

2. As of now, the Eagles have 11 draft picks to work with. Most likely, the Eagles will not use all of these picks on players. If the Eagles do decide to trade up in the 1st round, which prospect do you think they would target?Tommy: The key trade-up targets are safeties Eric Berry and Earl Thomas. I feel pretty strong in saying that the Eagles are like a lot of teams that covet Berry. Thomas is more of a mystery. Is he worth pick 10, 15, or 20? Is there a possibility he lasts to 24? There is a real split in the scouting community on him. Older guys who value tackling and run defense see Earl as a 2nd round player. Younger guys that value playmakers in the passing game think he’s a top flight prospect. Grades on Earl are all over the place. Idaho guard Mike Iupati could be a player that Andy Reid loves and would move up for. Defensive end Derrick Morgan could be a target if he slides outside the Top 10.* S Eric Berry or S Earl ThomasTommy: Berry is a complete safety. He can play the run and pass. He can cover man or zone. He can blitz. He is a playmaker. He can play in the box. Earl is very good in coverage and a good playmaker, but his hitting and tackling is very inconsistent. He was terrible against the run in the national title game.
All a very good read, thanks. :) This is what has me most intrigued, moving up to grab Eric Berry. I wonder what they'd have to give to get a all-around stud like him. I still feel (hope?) more like the Tebow talk is rumor spread by the Birds as speculated, but like he said, with Reid you never know.. :lol:

Who is Tommy Lawlor and why does he keep getting referenced like he's an Eagles insider? :)

just curious, I never heard of the guy till a couple months ago.

Who is Tommy Lawlor and why does he keep getting referenced like he's an Eagles insider? :sleep: just curious, I never heard of the guy till a couple months ago.
yeah, I think he is just an eagles blogger. No insider info and I'm not sure if he is tuned in or full of shizz. Interesting stuff he brings up regardless.

Who is Tommy Lawlor and why does he keep getting referenced like he's an Eagles insider? :popcorn: just curious, I never heard of the guy till a couple months ago.
He's a guy who posts in-depth analysis of Eagles games during the season, writes articles for scoutsnotebook, has an Eagles blog and writes for philadelphiaeagles.com. I think he's worked with some scouts to receive some scout training. He has some sources on the inside as well. I've been following him for a little while and the reason I like him is that he will tell you if he doesn't know something or if he's confident about something. When he's confident, he's usually spot on. Like all reports, take it all with a grain of salt but a much smaller grain than some other "reporters."

On a nondraft note, the NFL network showed the eagles-panthers nfc championship game. Painful to watch. I did like how the narrator over and over emphasized how pathetic the eagles receivers were that game. Dropped passes and blown routes, unable to get off bump coverage. Just keeps making you think what could have been if the fat man put receivers like he has today on the team back then for #5 to throw to. Oh well

More from Lawlor:

. Another name I’ll just throw out there is A.J. Hawk. He isn’t an ideal fit in the Packers 3-4 defense, but I’m not sure if he’s on the trade block or not.
This is kind of interesting although clearly just speculation - I imagine he wouldn't be cheap, though. Another guy I wonder if there might be some way to work a deal for is Shawne Merriman. The Chargers look like they are ready to move on without him, but I'm guessing he still wouldn't be that cheap either. Of course there's some question if he'd be the same player as he was before the injuries last year, and he carries a lot of other baggage as well.All things considered I think it's probably better to keep the picks unless the right deal comes along.

On a nondraft note, the NFL network showed the eagles-panthers nfc championship game. Painful to watch. I did like how the narrator over and over emphasized how pathetic the eagles receivers were that game. Dropped passes and blown routes, unable to get off bump coverage. Just keeps making you think what could have been if the fat man put receivers like he has today on the team back then for #5 to throw to. Oh well
To be fair its not like Reid didn't try to give McNabb weapons, I mean they invested just as much in Pinkston and Mitchell as they did in Jackson and Maclin.

To be fair its not like Reid didn't try to give McNabb weapons, I mean they invested just as much in Pinkston and Mitchell as they did in Jackson and Maclin.
lmao thats just sadMcNabb had Pinkston, Na Brown, Freddie MitchellKolb is going to have Jackson, Maclin, Avant

I fully expect the Eagles to trade for a veteran on defense. I think Johnson (KC), Hawk (GB), Morrison (OAK), or Davis (CAR) would be good additions. I would gladly give up a 3rd for any of them, & would love to add 2 of them. Instantly would greatly improve the defense.

I wonder if they'll kick the tires on Ted Ginn - he could be useful in the return game, and he's certainly a better 4th wideout than Baskett. A 5th or 6th could get it done.

I fully expect the Eagles to trade for a veteran on defense. I think Johnson (KC), Hawk (GB), Morrison (OAK), or Davis (CAR) would be good additions. I would gladly give up a 3rd for any of them, & would love to add 2 of them. Instantly would greatly improve the defense.
Interesting concept. Pondering for a moment what it would mean if the Eagles added:#1. CB Kyle Wilson#2a. S Nate Allen#2b. DE Corey Wooten#3a. Trade to KC for JohnsonThat would certainly infuse this defense with some playmakers.

I would like Derrick Johnson, the guy is talented (15th overall pick in 2005) and makes plays when in, not sure what happened between him and the new KC coach, but he was in the doghouse from the beginning.

I would like Derrick Johnson, the guy is talented (15th overall pick in 2005) and makes plays when in, not sure what happened between him and the new KC coach, but he was in the doghouse from the beginning.
I second that emotion.

I wonder if they'll kick the tires on Ted Ginn - he could be useful in the return game, and he's certainly a better 4th wideout than Baskett. A 5th or 6th could get it done.
I hope not - they have several returners - DeSean, Maclin, Macho Harris, Hobbs.... and while they have but 4 WRs on the roster I believe, I don't see the value of taking on Ginn and his big contract. It'd be better to draft someone.

I hope not - they have several returners - DeSean, Maclin, Macho Harris, Hobbs.... and while they have but 4 WRs on the roster I believe, I don't see the value of taking on Ginn and his big contract. It'd be better to draft someone.
:popcorn: Dont see this happening.

Why risk the health of Jackson or Maclin? I admit to not knowing Ginn's contract numbers, however.

Ginn's contract: $1,035,833 due this year, $1,393,750 in 2011 and $1,801,667 in 2012 (which is a voidable year).

He came into the league raw, and was expected to take a couple of years to mature into a pro WR. He was rushed onto the field too quickly. While he's probably not starter quality material (despite his draft pedigree), he certainly has the raw skills to be on a roster a a WR3/4 type, and has a very real chance to improve with good coaching.

Those salary numbers are on the high side for a WR4, but they are not high enough to cause any real problems...and his return skills are VERY, very good. Good enough to save Jackson for better things.

I wouldn't be at all upset to see the Eagles add Ginn for a mid-round pick (what would it take? a 4? probably only a 5?). It seems to make a lot of sense to me actually.

Why risk the health of Jackson or Maclin? I admit to not knowing Ginn's contract numbers, however.
i agree. i see no reason for desean to return more than a handful of punts this year. put him back there like they did with westbrook, when its desperation time. if ginn can return punts to save wear and tear on jackson and maclin, i'm all for it.

i agree. i see no reason for desean to return more than a handful of punts this year. put him back there like they did with westbrook, when its desperation time. if ginn can return punts to save wear and tear on jackson and maclin, i'm all for it.
As someone who has seen almost 30 years of Eagles football, never have I seen a skill player in Midnight green as electric as DJax. Every time he touches the ball, I feel he can score. I want him catching punts and giving opponents special teams nightmares for a long time.

As someone who has seen almost 30 years of Eagles football, never have I seen a skill player in Midnight green as electric as DJax. Every time he touches the ball, I feel he can score. I want him catching punts and giving opponents special teams nightmares for a long time.
I agree. I never understood why people want to take Djax off punt returns. He's the best punt returner in the league! It's a chance to put the ball in Jackson's hands? Is the injury risk really so much greater than any other play?

Users who are viewing this thread