What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Grilling and BBQ thread*** (1 Viewer)

Just scored John Morrell packaged corned beef briskets at the commissary. All were 3-5 pound packages, originally $2.99 per pound marked down to $1.49 per pound. Each package also had a $2.00 off coupon, making a 4 pound package, originally $12.00 worth $4.00. A few of the smaller briskets we got for about 2 bucks. We got 10 packages. Should be good smokin' in the neighborhood!
So you plan on making pastrami?

Just scored John Morrell packaged corned beef briskets at the commissary. All were 3-5 pound packages, originally $2.99 per pound marked down to $1.49 per pound. Each package also had a $2.00 off coupon, making a 4 pound package, originally $12.00 worth $4.00. A few of the smaller briskets we got for about 2 bucks. We got 10 packages. Should be good smokin' in the neighborhood!
So you plan on making pastrami?
I'm a brisket newbie actually. These packages came with the peppercorn separate in another packet, so it's not being seasoned with it at the present time. I "assumed" that these were the same as regular briskets...if not let me know.....I'm gonna smoke them anyways. The wife may crock one tomorrow.

Grilling a ham with the Fools' glaze, grilled taters, garlic pasta, and some fresh rolls for dinner.

Will report back, hopefully with pics. (If I can figure out how to load them)

ETA: Can I substitute anything for the Zin??

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to find a good replacement 'grill grate' for my gas grill. It's about 18x24 inches. I have porcelain coated steel and the porcelain is starting to flake off. I would like something more stable, something that will last longer.

Any recommendations?

Grilled up a 3lb leg of lamb for Easter today. Turned out better than I thought. :thumbup:

Hey TheFanatic,

Definite :thumbup: on the chicken. It tasted delicious and the family devoured it. I do not have a rotissere yet but it worked very well without it. I am not a big fan of chicken but this had such good flavor and very moist. Just enough smoke flavor, but not too much that it masks the flavor of the meat. Will definitely be doing this again.

Here is a picture at almost done: Chicken on the grill

Grilled up a 3lb leg of lamb for Easter today. Turned out better than I thought. :thumbup:
How'd you set it up? I posted the other day looking for ideas--my wife picked up a 5lb bone-in leg she wanted grilled, and I was googling all over the place since that's not a natural for me. My rotisserie is down so that wasn't an option. and I didn't feel like going through the hassle of butterflying it myself; I set the pig cooker up thinking to just roast it slow but ended up steaming it Mexican style:WSM smoker w/o smoke, stood the leg up vertically in a tall pot on the lower grate with an open beer can rack and skewers to hold it in place. Had a 3" well of water/garlic/rosemary in the pot. Cooked it 3 1/2 hours at 250 without smoke, injecting a mix of Cabernet, fresh garlic and rosemary at every hour. Served it in the resulting sauce. Reviews--I'm cooking for a mixed crowd here. Everybody loved it. It was more well done than I prefer but still tender, and it lost the 'traditional' lamb flavoring that I'm used to with a roast but it was excellent nontheless. Yes-I would do it again--but I find myself hungering for a medium-rare lamb roast! Just in case, did a batch of my standard fall back bbq chicken on the cooker and I think one person touched it...

How'd you set it up? I posted the other day looking for ideas--my wife picked up a 5lb bone-in leg she wanted grilled, and I was googling all over the place since that's not a natural for me. My rotisserie is down so that wasn't an option. and I didn't feel like going through the hassle of butterflying it myself; I set the pig cooker up thinking to just roast it slow but ended up steaming it Mexican style:WSM smoker w/o smoke, stood the leg up vertically in a tall pot on the lower grate with an open beer can rack and skewers to hold it in place. Had a 3" well of water/garlic/rosemary in the pot. Cooked it 3 1/2 hours at 250 without smoke, injecting a mix of Cabernet, fresh garlic and rosemary at every hour. Served it in the resulting sauce. Reviews--I'm cooking for a mixed crowd here. Everybody loved it. It was more well done than I prefer but still tender, and it lost the 'traditional' lamb flavoring that I'm used to with a roast but it was excellent nontheless. Yes-I would do it again--but I find myself hungering for a medium-rare lamb roast! Just in case, did a batch of my standard fall back bbq chicken on the cooker and I think one person touched it...
Mine was much easier to grill since it was only 3 lbs, de-boned and already butterflied.I marinated it for 2 hours in:1/2 onion finely chopped4 cloves gaelic finely chopped2 tbl chopped fresh RosemaryZest from 1 lemon2 tbl olive oil1 tbl apple cider vinegarS&PThen grilled it over high heat for 4 minutes per side, then moved it to medium low heat for about 40 minutes to finish.The flavor came out great, but unfortunately I got a bit distracted making some sides at the end and it overcooked by about 5 degrees or so. So like you, I ended up with a very flavorful lamb roast that everyone enjoyed, but personally would have preferred medium rare rather than medium.

Grilling a ham with the Fools' glaze, grilled taters, garlic pasta, and some fresh rolls for dinner.

Will report back, hopefully with pics. (If I can figure out how to load them)

ETA: Can I substitute anything for the Zin??
Any sweet wine will do. How was it? We had it again this weekend and it was outstanding. Here's a pic.

Hey TheFanatic,

Definite :thumbup: on the chicken. It tasted delicious and the family devoured it. I do not have a rotissere yet but it worked very well without it. I am not a big fan of chicken but this had such good flavor and very moist. Just enough smoke flavor, but not too much that it masks the flavor of the meat. Will definitely be doing this again.

Glad to hear it was great. The only thing I would do different is put the wood chips in foil to save on the ashy mess...

If you guys have not experienced a Berkshire Ham I can not recommend it enough. We had one yesterday and it was absolutely the greatest piece of pork I have ever eaten. We put it in the vertical smoker and let it hit 145 before we took it out. We glazed it for the last 20 degrees and it came out perfect.

For almost four centuries the most flavorful pork has come from the Berkshire breed of hogs. Known as the “black pig” to many, the superior taste of Berkshire makes it the ideal choice for everything from tasty barbecued chops to moist delicious hams. Berkshire pork is famous for the perfect combination of juiciness, flavor and tenderness. One taste and you’ll see why this line of meats has retained its popularity through the test of time. Try our Berkshire pork today and discover all the natural flavor you have been missing

Hey TheFanatic,

Glad to hear it was great. The only thing I would do different is put the wood chips in foil to save on the ashy mess...
That is one of the nice things about the Commercial series "infared" grills. The perforated tray under the grate held the ashes nicely. After the grill cooled down, I took out the trays, dumped them in the fire pit, reoiled the grates and am ready to go for tonight. I will still probably try it next time though just because.On a related note, where does everyone get their wood chips? Would like to try some apple, peach or other flavors, but the stores around me only carry mesquite.

Hey TheFanatic,

That is one of the nice things about the Commercial series "infared" grills. The perforated tray under the grate held the ashes nicely. After the grill cooled down, I took out the trays, dumped them in the fire pit, reoiled the grates and am ready to go for tonight. I will still probably try it next time though just because.On a related note, where does everyone get their wood chips? Would like to try some apple, peach or other flavors, but the stores around me only carry mesquite.
TryAce Hardware

Bass Pro Shop

World Market

Lowes

'Megla said:
'snellman said:
'TheFanatic said:
'snellman said:
Hey TheFanatic,

TryAce Hardware

Bass Pro Shop

World Market

Lowes
:goodposting:

Hell, even some Wal-Marts carry some.

'Megla said:
'snellman said:
'TheFanatic said:
'snellman said:
Hey TheFanatic,

TryAce Hardware

Bass Pro Shop

World Market

Lowes
:goodposting:

Hell, even some Wal-Marts carry some.
If you have any dedicated grill or fireplace stores in the area, call them. We have three fireplace stores that also do grills and have the best selections. Also, if there are any outdoor patio type places. The kind of place that sells ridiculously overpriced patio sets might have grills and accessories as well. Got my first rib rack from one of them... Don't bother looking online, the shipping will kill you...

Anyone grilling this weekend?
Funny you should ask,. I was just over at your site looking at your wings write up.I have 4 pounds of wings on hand and I think I'm going to try your method. I don't have the sauces or rubs you do, but I have enough to work with. Also going to do some potatoes on the grill in a grill basket I have.

Funny you should ask,. I was just over at your site looking at your wings write up.I have 4 pounds of wings on hand and I think I'm going to try your method. I don't have the sauces or rubs you do, but I have enough to work with. Also going to do some potatoes on the grill in a grill basket I have.
:goodposting: I was trying to decide what I was going to experiment with tonight and decided to try the mayo chicken.

My smoking has been put on hold as we move back into our basement after flood remodeling. I've got a UDS just about ready to go. Just need to secure the exhaust pipe to the barrel, drill out my diffuser plate and season it and I'm ready to go!

'snellman said:
'SteevieG said:
:goodposting: I was trying to decide what I was going to experiment with tonight and decided to try the mayo chicken.
Well, how did everything come out?I did a FAT bone in ribeye on Friday night. No sides other than an Italian red. Just 24 ounces of red deliciousness. Sunday, in the rain, I did some premade apps I got from a local butcher and lobster tails.

'snellman said:
'SteevieG said:
Well, how did everything come out?I did a FAT bone in ribeye on Friday night. No sides other than an Italian red. Just 24 ounces of red deliciousness. Sunday, in the rain, I did some premade apps I got from a local butcher and lobster tails.
It was a last minute thing and I didn't have any chicken breast in the house so I used chicken tenders instead. They got a little dry on me, but had very good flavor. I am going to try it again with full breasts that are thicker and will take a little longer to cook.definite :thumbup: on the flavor though.

I didn't end up following your website, Fanatic, and I wasn't thrilled with the results.

The wings were on dry side even though they were marinated for 6 hours and I didn't care for the texture much either.

The potatoes were burned on the outside and not done on the inside.

All in all, my worst cook in quite some time so I'm trying to think of what to make next week to get this one out of my mind. Brisket, perhaps?

I didn't end up following your website, Fanatic, and I wasn't thrilled with the results. The wings were on dry side even though they were marinated for 6 hours and I didn't care for the texture much either.The potatoes were burned on the outside and not done on the inside.All in all, my worst cook in quite some time so I'm trying to think of what to make next week to get this one out of my mind. Brisket, perhaps?
Sounds like it was running too hot. Was this a smoker or a grill?

Fatty recipes, ideas?

I'm taking at least three over to a buddy's house for a party on Saturday. I'll be doing one of them with diced jalapeno and sharp cheddar, but I'd like to experiment a bit with the other two.

I know you can stuff them with pretty much anything your imagination can come up with, but I'm curious if any of you have any tried and true combinations.

Fatty recipes, ideas?I'm taking at least three over to a buddy's house for a party on Saturday. I'll be doing one of them with diced jalapeno and sharp cheddar, but I'd like to experiment a bit with the other two.I know you can stuff them with pretty much anything your imagination can come up with, but I'm curious if any of you have any tried and true combinations.
Phily Cheese steak fattiePizza fattiemushroom/cheese/pulled pork fattie

I found a cheap deli slicer, so I've been messing around with making smoked roast beef and I think there's some potential there. Not amazing, but pretty solid.

Really easy.

Eye of round roast (though I'm sure plenty of others would do.

Season with whatever (S&P, garlic, onion)

Smoke for an hour then roast in the oven (375) for an hour (foiled) to about 130 degrees.

Rest for an hour and slice as thin as you can get it.

Decent little roast beef with a bit of smoke flavor and a nice smoke ring.

I didn't end up following your website, Fanatic, and I wasn't thrilled with the results. The wings were on dry side even though they were marinated for 6 hours and I didn't care for the texture much either.The potatoes were burned on the outside and not done on the inside.All in all, my worst cook in quite some time so I'm trying to think of what to make next week to get this one out of my mind. Brisket, perhaps?
Sounds like it was running too hot. Was this a smoker or a grill?
I used my grill this time, set up for an indirect method. I'm not a big fan of wings anyway. Apparently my son loved them, so maybe they weren't as bad as I thought...

Been thinking about getting one of these http://www.thesmokercompany.com/items/smokers/34-lp-gas-smoker-34168g-detail.htm

Anybody ever used one?
I haven't used that one, but I've used similar models.Those cheap vertical gas smokers will get the job done, but they aren't as low maintenance as you might think, especially if you care about a smoke ring.

This might sound odd, but if you want to get a smoke ring, you'll actually still need to incorporate charcoal. The temperature from the burner heating the wood isn't high enough to produce the visible ring (though you'll still get the smoke flavor). You have to add lit charcoal to the wood pan to get a smoke ring from a gas smoker.

Alot of those cheap models tend to have temperature fluctuations, so they'll still require monitoring and adjusting. I actually had to put a gasket on the door of mine to keep it from losing so much heat.

I like my gas smoker well enough, but I've got a bunch of other smokers and the gas one has pretty much been a "bean cooker" for a long time now.

Fatty recipes, ideas?

I'm taking at least three over to a buddy's house for a party on Saturday. I'll be doing one of them with diced jalapeno and sharp cheddar, but I'd like to experiment a bit with the other two.

I know you can stuff them with pretty much anything your imagination can come up with, but I'm curious if any of you have any tried and true combinations.
Blueberry Muffin Fatty. I don't like blueberries and this blew me away.

Fatty recipes, ideas?I'm taking at least three over to a buddy's house for a party on Saturday. I'll be doing one of them with diced jalapeno and sharp cheddar, but I'd like to experiment a bit with the other two.I know you can stuff them with pretty much anything your imagination can come up with, but I'm curious if any of you have any tried and true combinations.
Use maple sausage instead of the regular. Fry up a few strips of bacon in a pan ... ok a lot of strips. Crumble them on the inside of the sausage along with brown sugar. Wrap the whole thing in more bacon after rolling it up.

Fatty recipes, ideas?

Wow. That's what I'm looking for. I think I'll make a pizza one as well Thanks guys.

'Grahamburn said:
'TheFanatic said:
'Grahamburn said:
Fatty recipes, ideas?

Wow. That's what I'm looking for. I think I'll make a pizza one as well Thanks guys.
BTW, when we made them the guy forgot to bring his rub and we needed a sweet rub. We used my Apple Pumpkin rib rub on them. You could go with any sweet rub. Just brown sugar would be fine..

How about a grilled shrimp recipe? Prefer raw shrimp, good texture, good taste and a little burn on the edges.

So I'm thinking of doing some sort of herb ribs this weekend. Like maybe fresh rosemary and garlic in olive oil and slathering that onto some baby backs and smoking with the high heat method for a couple hours. Has anyone every done anything like that? I'm worried that the flavor of the pork and the smoke will overpower the herb/garlic oil and it will be a waste of time. Are there other herbs I should maybe add to the concoction to kick it up/add some layers of flavor?

So I'm thinking of doing some sort of herb ribs this weekend. Like maybe fresh rosemary and garlic in olive oil and slathering that onto some baby backs and smoking with the high heat method for a couple hours. Has anyone every done anything like that? I'm worried that the flavor of the pork and the smoke will overpower the herb/garlic oil and it will be a waste of time. Are there other herbs I should maybe add to the concoction to kick it up/add some layers of flavor?
You may want to use some dried peppers, maybe Ancho, Chipotal /and/or Guajillo and grind them up and add to your wet rub. I use something simular when I do prime rib and I have used it before on chicken and ribs (spares)PS. Not sure I would go with rosemarry on the ribs, I pretty much limit my rosemarry to poultry and tators

Our sales rep loves to BBQ. I’ve never seen his setup but based on his lifestyle I’d imagine he has a top of the line grill and accessories. Me and two coworkers want to go in and get him a decent birthday present. We’re looking to spend about $100 or so total. Since I don’t know what equipment he already has, equipment is probably a bad idea. Anyone have recommendations on high end sauces or rubs that we could buy him online? Anyone who can vouch for some solid stuff, I'd appreciate the tips. Thanks.

Our sales rep loves to BBQ. I’ve never seen his setup but based on his lifestyle I’d imagine he has a top of the line grill and accessories. Me and two coworkers want to go in and get him a decent birthday present. We’re looking to spend about $100 or so total. Since I don’t know what equipment he already has, equipment is probably a bad idea. Anyone have recommendations on high end sauces or rubs that we could buy him online? Anyone who can vouch for some solid stuff, I'd appreciate the tips. Thanks.
This is a marinating and basting sauce. It's not meant to be dunked in like A1. I marinate a TON of stuff in this. I mean I really use this all the time. I marinate everything from steaks to scallops and put it in chili, meatloaf, and burgers. I LOVE this stuff. I buy it by the case...

You may want to use some dried peppers, maybe Ancho, Chipotal /and/or Guajillo and grind them up and add to your wet rub. I use something simular when I do prime rib and I have used it before on chicken and ribs (spares)PS. Not sure I would go with rosemarry on the ribs, I pretty much limit my rosemarry to poultry and tators
I've got a rosemary thing going in my head. I pretty much only use two herbs, rosemary and basil, and want to step out of that and add more variety but don't know much about the flavors beyond Marjoram, Thyme, and Oregano. Speaking of ground up dried peppers, I was thinking of getting one of those food dehydrators and drying out fruits, herbs, and peppers and using them in rubs and sauces. Dried, crushed apples or cherries on ribs. Do you think that would be any good?

This is a marinating and basting sauce. It's not meant to be dunked in like A1. I marinate a TON of stuff in this. I mean I really use this all the time. I marinate everything from steaks to scallops and put it in chili, meatloaf, and burgers. I LOVE this stuff. I buy it by the case...
thanks for the tip. looks delicious.

So I am having some folks over this weekend and am going to smoke a couple butts on my WSM. I could use a few pointers from the smoking experts on this board.

As a guideline, I should smoke for 1.5-2 hours per pound @225-250 degrees until it gets to an internal temp of 190?

What if I have two seperate butts @ 5 pounds each? For cook time is that 1.5-2 hours times 5 pounds or times 10 pounds?

I dont plan on foiling. Any other tips? Do I have the temps and cook time right?

I plan on starting the smoke friday night for a saturday afternoon lunch. Note I habe had succesa witj ribs and fatties.

TIA!

So I am having some folks over this weekend and am going to smoke a couple butts on my WSM. I could use a few pointers from the smoking experts on this board. As a guideline, I should smoke for 1.5-2 hours per pound @225-250 degrees until it gets to an internal temp of 190?What if I have two seperate butts @ 5 pounds each? For cook time is that 1.5-2 hours times 5 pounds or times 10 pounds?I dont plan on foiling. Any other tips? Do I have the temps and cook time right? I plan on starting the smoke friday night for a saturday afternoon lunch. Note I habe had succesa witj ribs and fatties. TIA!
Plan on the 1.5 to 2 hrs as a guideline, but it could vary.I take my butts to 200-205.Why are you not foiling? Any particular reason?I have never done two separate, so I can't really comment from experience. But, I would think that it would not double the time. Figure 1.5-2 hrs times 5, knowing that you might need to go a bit longer.It's better to start earlier, knowing that if you get done you can take it off, foil it, wrap it in towels, and toss it in a cooler to keep it hot for a few hours more if needed.

I wasnt planning on foiling because I heard that it negates some of the bark buildup. I like bark. Does foiling impact the bark? I will probably fire up the smoker around 10pm fridAy night with plans to have it going full smoke ahead by 11pm. I plan on doing lunch around 4pm-ish saturday. I will admit I am a little nervous.

Thanks for the help!

Snore, save yourself a lot of time and do those butts at 300 degrees and you'll be done in less than 6 hours. That's what I do with mine. It's called the high heat method, although it's a bit of a misnomer. 300 degrees is more like medium heat, but medium heat method doesn't sound as good. I do all of my smoking between 275 and 325. Baby Backs take right at 2 hours, spares a little longer. I do briskets that way too.

Anything from here would be worthyhttp://www.johnhenrysfoodproducts.com/index.html

I've got a rosemary thing going in my head. I pretty much only use two herbs, rosemary and basil, and want to step out of that and add more variety but don't know much about the flavors beyond Marjoram, Thyme, and Oregano. Speaking of ground up dried peppers, I was thinking of getting one of those food dehydrators and drying out fruits, herbs, and peppers and using them in rubs and sauces. Dried, crushed apples or cherries on ribs. Do you think that would be any good?
Don't why it would not be good, John Henry makes Apple rub, Cherry and cherry chipolte rub along with other fruit based rubs made with dried fruits

Snore, save yourself a lot of time and do those butts at 300 degrees and you'll be done in less than 6 hours. That's what I do with mine. It's called the high heat method, although it's a bit of a misnomer. 300 degrees is more like medium heat, but medium heat method doesn't sound as good. I do all of my smoking between 275 and 325. Baby Backs take right at 2 hours, spares a little longer. I do briskets that way too.
I will say, if you go this route, preopen all your beers. It's a compressed timeframe to be consuming all those beers and you need not waste the time on opening them :thumbup:

I wasnt planning on foiling because I heard that it negates some of the bark buildup. I like bark. Does foiling impact the bark? I will probably fire up the smoker around 10pm fridAy night with plans to have it going full smoke ahead by 11pm. I plan on doing lunch around 4pm-ish saturday. I will admit I am a little nervous. Thanks for the help!
I'm a bit of a purist and or yes 225-250 till an internal temp of 190 is where I would go, but I also would foil till 195-200, about 30 minutes.If you want a good thick bark try thissalt and pepper your butt, make a slather of bacon grease (1/2 cup), yellow mustard (1 cup) and spicey mustard (1/4 cup). Mix and slather the butt then apply your rub, once yo put in on the smoker do not touch or move it for at least 4 hours, your bark will be set by then and foiling will not hurt it at all.

I will say, if you go this route, preopen all your beers. It's a compressed timeframe to be consuming all those beers and you need not waste the time on opening them :thumbup:
If six hours isn't enough drinking time for you, then there's a meeting you might want to attend. JK...For me, it's about sleep. If I want to feed people at 3, and it's going to take 7.5 to 10 hours to smoke some 5 pounders at 1.5-2 hours a pound then I'm getting up at the crack of dawn.

The results are the same, but a little faster. After 9 hours in a smoker, do you think the pork is getting anymore smoke flavor? It's really only going to take on the smoke flavor for a few hours. After that, it's a waste of the wood. All you need is the heat at that point. I like being able to put the butts or brisket on at 9 and serve my guests at 3-4.

Users who are viewing this thread