What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2011 Grilling and BBQ thread*** (1 Viewer)

I realize I should probably have my man card revoked for admitting this, but figured I may get some helpful answers if I cop to it: I can't grill a steak well. I'm sure there are a few factors, but my grill seems unpredictable at times and I know I'm definitely not buying the right cuts of meat (my own assumption based on my lack of knowledge in the area). Currently we have a basic two burner propane grill. The most common error I find is the meat just comes out tough and dry and that's even following all of the conventions and tips, etc, on timing I read online. I should clarify that's even with cooking a steak to medium. It comes out pink but still seems dry and or one will come out medium and the other will be warmer. I definitely think consistency is an issue.Any tips or recommendations on cuts and then potential areas to watch so I can improve? I know I'm not giving too much detail, but honestly it's because I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong otherwise I'd fix that area.
for the life of me I too sucked at cooking a steak for a long time before I started to follow Alton's methods (recommended by many on FBG). From the first time I tried this very simple method the steaks have come out awesome. I love using rib eye.Watch here for the technique, best 9 minutes you will ever spendhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yX1Q3x9Cs4
This is how I learned too. I've pretty much ruined steaks for myself and many of my family and friends at most steak places. There are a handful I'll still go to, but for many I just do it better. Not yanking my own chain here. I follow Alton's method and make a mean steak...

So my grill is about ready to die, Got it as a wedding gift so I can't complain about 5 years service from a Wal-mart special. I am looking to spend $4-500 for a new one. I have been looking at the Char broil Infrared grills. link to one of them Does anyone have one of these and what kind of luck have you had with them? The design entrigues me because we grill corn a lot in the summer and this looks like it would be fairly nice at limiting or eliminating flare ups. (we cook the corn huskless covered in butter, sea salt, and cilantro) But I have read some not so good reviews on life of the grill. I use it year round if we don't get a lot of snow in the winter, so I figure if I can 5-7 years out of a grill I am doing good.

Any other ones to look at? Here is to a great grilling season.
Char-Broil is starting a new blogger site with 30 bloggers from around the country. I'll be one of them. They're sending me this grill for me writing six blog posts for them over the next year. I'll do a full review when I get it. Doesn't help now, I realize, but if you've got some time...

Kinda surprised TheFanatic hadn't started this thread yet.
I kept meaning too, but I just don't hit FBG as much as I used too. Too much bickering that I went into with to much zeal. I decided to avoid that as much as possible. I don't need the extra aggravation either caused or received. I think I might limit myself to this thread from now on and some shark pool when we get closer to the season.I've been grilling a lot lately, nothing all that worthy of sharing. Lots of ribs (jerk and apple pumpkin), reverse seared pork tenderloins, steaks, that kind of stuff. I grilled for a mini microbeerfest in St. Louis. Handed out 21 slabs of ribs, six pounds of fatties and four pounds of smoked baloney bites. Actually one fatty is worthy of sharing.

Blueberry Muffin Stuffed Fatty.

This went over huge. They did a live radio spot that day at the event and they raved about it. That led to a nice sponsorship deal from a local butcher shop.

So, my wife, who doesn't like smoked meat much at all (ironic, I know), actually requested that I do a whole hog on Memorial day. Said meat market will be hooking me up with a grill big enough to do it and the pig. Anyone ever done one? Looking at around 25-30 people. How big of one do I need? How long does it take? Got any tips?

So, my wife, who doesn't like smoked meat much at all (ironic, I know), actually requested that I do a whole hog on Memorial day. Said meat market will be hooking me up with a grill big enough to do it and the pig. Anyone ever done one? Looking at around 25-30 people. How big of one do I need? How long does it take? Got any tips?
This thread should helphttp://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22364

This thread should helphttp://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22364
Thanks Megla. Lots of good info there. I wish work didn't block the pics. I'll catch them after hours and peruse the typed info for now...

Been considering my grill options quite a bit lately. I am starting from scratch moving to a new place. I was strongly considering a Large Big Green Egg (Egg, table and plate setter to run me about $1200) but now I am thinking I get a 22" Weber Kettle and an 18" Weber Smoky Mountain with an ATC (automatic temp control) device - likely an Auber for about $600 total. I think I'd love the Egg but for less than 50% of my cooking being smokes, I think the Kettle and WSM make more sense at half the price.

'koby925 said:
Been considering my grill options quite a bit lately. I am starting from scratch moving to a new place. I was strongly considering a Large Big Green Egg (Egg, table and plate setter to run me about $1200) but now I am thinking I get a 22" Weber Kettle and an 18" Weber Smoky Mountain with an ATC (automatic temp control) device - likely an Auber for about $600 total. I think I'd love the Egg but for less than 50% of my cooking being smokes, I think the Kettle and WSM make more sense at half the price.
Might as well spend the extra 100 bucks and get the 22.5 WSM

'koby925 said:
I'm not sure why less than 50% of your cooks being smokes would preclude you from the BGE. My cousin bought the large, sold it to buy the XL and since then has bought another large for when it's just him and his wife. He loves the thing...It does it all well. It can do low and slow as well as high and fast. Not saying your alternate route isn't a good one, just curious about the smoking thing and not going with a BGE.

'koby925 said:
The egg is the superior product hands-down, but I went with the Weber(s) because I sometimes do large quantities, and I like the fact that they're portable. Price actually favors the egg too as far as Im concerned. Egg will last a lifetime while the weber(s) are probably 10 years max for me.

'koby925 said:
The egg is the superior product hands-down, but I went with the Weber(s) because I sometimes do large quantities, and I like the fact that they're portable. Price actually favors the egg too as far as Im concerned. Egg will last a lifetime while the weber(s) are probably 10 years max for me.
Yeah, two big limitations for the Large BGE are space and portability. My cousin brought his XL to the Charity BBQ contest we threw last October. After that he said he'd never move his egg again. It was a huge pain in the ###. The Large may be smaller than the XL but they are both very hard to move around.

'koby925 said:
I'm not sure why less than 50% of your cooks being smokes would preclude you from the BGE. My cousin bought the large, sold it to buy the XL and since then has bought another large for when it's just him and his wife. He loves the thing...It does it all well. It can do low and slow as well as high and fast. Not saying your alternate route isn't a good one, just curious about the smoking thing and not going with a BGE.
Good point. I realize now that I didn't say this but I also don't think we'd do the high and fast uses that often, if at all. Or baking breads or pizza. It will be mainly typical average Joe bbq stuff and some smoking butts, briskets, chickens, turkeys. Portability of the Webers is good also because while I won't be lugging them to compete, I probably will store them in a shed or garage. On the 18 vs. 22" WSM, I am back and forth on that one but I keep reading that the 22" is a behemoth and uses a ton of fuel. I don't plan on competing with the thing so I don't think I'll ever need to feed a ton of people. Typically just the family and maybe a few others. I do want to cook some large briskets and turkeys at times, though. Do you all think the 22" is worth it just for that? Any experience on what sized turkey/briskets the 18" WSM can hold?

'koby925 said:
.BTWGood point. I realize now that I didn't say this but I also don't think we'd do the high and fast uses that often, if at all. Or baking breads or pizza. It will be mainly typical average Joe bbq stuff and some smoking butts, briskets, chickens, turkeys. Portability of the Webers is good also because while I won't be lugging them to compete, I probably will store them in a shed or garage. On the 18 vs. 22" WSM, I am back and forth on that one but I keep reading that the 22" is a behemoth and uses a ton of fuel. I don't plan on competing with the thing so I don't think I'll ever need to feed a ton of people. Typically just the family and maybe a few others. I do want to cook some large briskets and turkeys at times, though. Do you all think the 22" is worth it just for that? Any experience on what sized turkey/briskets the 18" WSM can hold?
The 22.5 does not use anymore fuel than the 18 and it is every bit as portable. If you feel the 18 will meet your needs then by all means, but my line of thinking is if you need the space and buy the 22.5 you have, if you need and by the 18 then you are in trouble.The 18 can handle a whole brisket and you really do not want to smoke a Turkey larger than 16-17 pounds.

'TheFanatic said:
So my grill is about ready to die, Got it as a wedding gift so I can't complain about 5 years service from a Wal-mart special. I am looking to spend $4-500 for a new one. I have been looking at the Char broil Infrared grills. link to one of them Does anyone have one of these and what kind of luck have you had with them? The design entrigues me because we grill corn a lot in the summer and this looks like it would be fairly nice at limiting or eliminating flare ups. (we cook the corn huskless covered in butter, sea salt, and cilantro) But I have read some not so good reviews on life of the grill. I use it year round if we don't get a lot of snow in the winter, so I figure if I can 5-7 years out of a grill I am doing good.

Char-Broil is starting a new blogger site with 30 bloggers from around the country. I'll be one of them. They're sending me this grill for me writing six blog posts for them over the next year. I'll do a full review when I get it. Doesn't help now, I realize, but if you've got some time...
Lowes had it on sale a couple weeks ago $100 off the 4 burner model so I convinced my wife it was time to get a new one. So far I love it. I had to adjust my cooking procedures and times, but it does an excellent job. The real test will be when we do corn this summer but a very good grill for the $

'TheFanatic said:

Lowes had it on sale a couple weeks ago $100 off the 4 burner model so I convinced my wife it was time to get a new one. So far I love it. I had to adjust my cooking procedures and times, but it does an excellent job. The real test will be when we do corn this summer but a very good grill for the $
I'm looking forward to doing a lot of low and slow stuff on the gas grill and documenting it. Gas grills get a lot of grief for being outdoor stoves. In fact, I've made such a claim myself on more than one occasion, but in all honesty, they can do more than warm up burgers, brats, and dogs. I might have to do a side by side taste test with ribs prepped the exact same way, with the exact same rub and the exact same wood and do one slab over charcoal and the other over gas to see if there is a discernible difference. Is it the charcoal that imparts the flavor or the smoke wood?

Came across a chicken recipe that I'm going to try this weekend.

Fried Chicken on the Grill.

Basically it is following the prep instructions for chicken fry bag, which involves:

1. Seasoning the chicken

2. Dipping it in a batter made of 5 tbsp of chicken fry mix and 1/2 cup of water

3. Coat the chicken in the dry chicken fry mix

4. Toss on the grill indirect

I will prep the chicken by soaking it in butter milk for 12 hours and then follow the instructions.

I will grill over indirect heat (375-400) for approximately 1 hour.

If all goes well this will be on the Draft night menue

'Megla said:
Came across a chicken recipe that I'm going to try this weekend.Fried Chicken on the Grill.Basically it is following the prep instructions for chicken fry bag, which involves: 1. Seasoning the chicken 2. Dipping it in a batter made of 5 tbsp of chicken fry mix and 1/2 cup of water 3. Coat the chicken in the dry chicken fry mix 4. Toss on the grill indirect I will prep the chicken by soaking it in butter milk for 12 hours and then follow the instructions.I will grill over indirect heat (375-400) for approximately 1 hour.If all goes well this will be on the Draft night menue
A buddy of mine saw this and decided to try other traditionally fried foods on the grill like this. He did mushrooms and they came out spectacular. Same deal, battered and indirected...

I have two bone-in half hams that I'll be serving on Easter. They are fully cooked in natural juices and were "brown sugar cured." I plan on heating these up (slowly) on the WSM to infuse some more smoke flavor into them.

1. Will that work?

2. Should I bring them up to a particular temp?

3. Any recommendations on a glaze and when to apply?

Have an 8lb filet that I'm grilling for Easter Sunday. My plan of action is the following:

Tonight - salt/pepper/paprika the meat and put it in the fridge

Sunday Morning - take out of fridge and bring to room temp

Sunday afternoon - (1)put filet directly onto gas grill and get the grill marks on each side (2) Place filet on roasting rack and let cook until I get to medium rare (via meat thermometer)

Charcol grill/cast iron isn't an option. any other tips? Am I grossly wrong anywhere?

Have an 8lb filet that I'm grilling for Easter Sunday. My plan of action is the following:Tonight - salt/pepper/paprika the meat and put it in the fridgeSunday Morning - take out of fridge and bring to room tempSunday afternoon - (1)put filet directly onto gas grill and get the grill marks on each side (2) Place filet on roasting rack and let cook until I get to medium rare (via meat thermometer)Charcol grill/cast iron isn't an option. any other tips? Am I grossly wrong anywhere?
If its a tenderloin why not just cut it into steaks? If not then I'm not sure what you mean by 8 lb filet

I have two bone-in half hams that I'll be serving on Easter. They are fully cooked in natural juices and were "brown sugar cured." I plan on heating these up (slowly) on the WSM to infuse some more smoke flavor into them. 1. Will that work?2. Should I bring them up to a particular temp?3. Any recommendations on a glaze and when to apply?
YesNo higher that 140Orange Honey HamGlazing Ingredients: 1 Tblsp. Rosemary (fresh is best) 2 Tblsp. McCormick’s 1 Step seasoning blend “Garlic and Herb” 2 Tblsp. McCormick’s 1 Step seasoning blend “Sweet Onion and Peppers” 2 Tblsp. Tony Zachere’s Creole seasoning 14.8 oz. McCormick’s Grill Mates Honey Mustard 8 oz. Smucker’s Sweet Orange Marmalade

Have an 8lb filet that I'm grilling for Easter Sunday. My plan of action is the following:Tonight - salt/pepper/paprika the meat and put it in the fridgeSunday Morning - take out of fridge and bring to room tempSunday afternoon - (1)put filet directly onto gas grill and get the grill marks on each side (2) Place filet on roasting rack and let cook until I get to medium rare (via meat thermometer)Charcol grill/cast iron isn't an option. any other tips? Am I grossly wrong anywhere?
If its a tenderloin why not just cut it into steaks? If not then I'm not sure what you mean by 8 lb filet
i'm not a huge steak guy.....i assume it's a tenderloin? my mom said she bought an 8lb filet and is bring it over tonight. :shrug:

I have two bone-in half hams that I'll be serving on Easter. They are fully cooked in natural juices and were "brown sugar cured." I plan on heating these up (slowly) on the WSM to infuse some more smoke flavor into them.

1. Will that work?

2. Should I bring them up to a particular temp?

3. Any recommendations on a glaze and when to apply?
I was just coming in here to post our ham recipe for Easter.

Cutting it into steaks will allow you too cook it to everyone's desired doneness. It would also allow for more surface area to meat ratio in terms of the flavor crust. That being said, nothing wrong with doing the whole roast. And your method looks solid to me... Just make sure you let it rest for about 10 minutes before slicing into it...

'TheFanatic said:

I'm looking forward to doing a lot of low and slow stuff on the gas grill and documenting it. Gas grills get a lot of grief for being outdoor stoves. In fact, I've made such a claim myself on more than one occasion, but in all honesty, they can do more than warm up burgers, brats, and dogs. I might have to do a side by side taste test with ribs prepped the exact same way, with the exact same rub and the exact same wood and do one slab over charcoal and the other over gas to see if there is a discernible difference. Is it the charcoal that imparts the flavor or the smoke wood?
Looking forward to reading it and getting ideas. I have been grilling a long time but am by no means an expert at it and am always interested in finding new things to try on the grill.

My wife picked up a lamb leg today for Easter, and decided she wants me to grill or smoke it. It's bone in (at this point). I've found several recipes to work with--most of which suggest butterflied, a couple rotisseried, a couple bone in. Anybody done a leg outside? Favorite techniques?

I've got choices: An offset charcoal smoker/grill, a vertical smoker, a gas grill with rotisserie if I can find the rod, and a pig cooker which I think would be too much but with which I could hold a lower temp than the rotisserie. (Suppose if I go that route I'll just have to fill the grill up a little more!) ;)

Dunno how many we're serving; somehow suspect that we could have guests...

eta--Of all things, she and daughter like their meats well done. <_<

What I've done successfully in the past is to set up a pan underneath so as to collect juices and then braise their cuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just in case anyone's interested--Got this email in my box this morning from Williams Sonoma advertising a new line of steel grill cookware.

Might check it out--though I've got some cast aluminum pieces which I've used on occasion; these look like good sizes. For a few years some time ago I did All my cooking out on a fire pit; a couple of these might have been useful then!

Guessing I am asking too much for a model that covers both the meat temperature as well as the grill temperature? If so, any recommendations for the latter item?

Picked me up a Traeger wood pellet smoker and am a HUGE fan so far. Lots of good eatin' at the Judge's place this summer.

Guessing I am asking too much for a model that covers both the meat temperature as well as the grill temperature? If so, any recommendations for the latter item?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SZ10/ref=asc_df_B00004SZ101513580?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1158-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00004SZ10
This is what I use - tracks the temp in the dome of my egg and the meat w/good remote capability and an alarm system for the overnight cooks.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SZ10/ref=asc_df_B00004SZ101513580?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=pg-1158-95-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00004SZ10
This is what I use - tracks the temp in the dome of my egg and the meat w/good remote capability and an alarm system for the overnight cooks.
Thanks, gentlemen! For the probe you use for the oooking temperature, what do you insert the probe into? Have heard of cork and potatoes (question that, as I would think it would be measuring the potato temp, not grill temp), but checking in with the experts:)

I have one of these too. Hate it. Maybe I got a lemon, but I find mine is very quirky to use and the buttons don't work most of the time. I wish I had one that did less - just give me the temperature and an on/off switch

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B00004SZ10
Thanks, gentlemen! For the probe you use for the oooking temperature, what do you insert the probe into? Have heard of cork and potatoes (question that, as I would think it would be measuring the potato temp, not grill temp), but checking in with the experts:)
I have wondered this as well. It's much more important for me to monitor cook temp than meat temp, but I'm not sure how to rig it to monitor without taking the temp of the metal.

.BTW

Good point. I realize now that I didn't say this but I also don't think we'd do the high and fast uses that often, if at all. Or baking breads or pizza. It will be mainly typical average Joe bbq stuff and some smoking butts, briskets, chickens, turkeys. Portability of the Webers is good also because while I won't be lugging them to compete, I probably will store them in a shed or garage.

On the 18 vs. 22" WSM, I am back and forth on that one but I keep reading that the 22" is a behemoth and uses a ton of fuel. I don't plan on competing with the thing so I don't think I'll ever need to feed a ton of people. Typically just the family and maybe a few others. I do want to cook some large briskets and turkeys at times, though. Do you all think the 22" is worth it just for that? Any experience on what sized turkey/briskets the 18" WSM can hold?
The 22.5 does not use anymore fuel than the 18 and it is every bit as portable. If you feel the 18 will meet your needs then by all means, but my line of thinking is if you need the space and buy the 22.5 you have, if you need and by the 18 then you are in trouble.The 18 can handle a whole brisket and you really do not want to smoke a Turkey larger than 16-17 pounds.
I love my 22.5. Have had it for two years and really looking fwd to when it finally warms up here, the wind dies down and it stops raining sideways. You really can't go wrong with a Weber!

I have one of these too. Hate it. Maybe I got a lemon, but I find mine is very quirky to use and the buttons don't work most of the time. I wish I had one that did less - just give me the temperature and an on/off switch
I haven't had a problem with the buttons, but I agree it could be much better if they simplified it. Its the best thing I've found so far for my needs. I especially hate the pre-programed settings.For the question as to how I rig it for the grill temp - I stick it through a cork from a wine bottle.

I haven't had a problem with the buttons, but I agree it could be much better if they simplified it. Its the best thing I've found so far for my needs. I especially hate the pre-programed settings.For the question as to how I rig it for the grill temp - I stick it through a cork from a wine bottle.
Sounds like I got a lemon.

I use a 1/2 potatoe, as along has you have the probe go all the way through and have about 2 inches of the probe exposed it will read you chamber temp just fine.

Just scored John Morrell packaged corned beef briskets at the commissary. All were 3-5 pound packages, originally $2.99 per pound marked down to $1.49 per pound. Each package also had a $2.00 off coupon, making a 4 pound package, originally $12.00 worth $4.00. A few of the smaller briskets we got for about 2 bucks. We got 10 packages. Should be good smokin' in the neighborhood!

.BTW

Good point. I realize now that I didn't say this but I also don't think we'd do the high and fast uses that often, if at all. Or baking breads or pizza. It will be mainly typical average Joe bbq stuff and some smoking butts, briskets, chickens, turkeys. Portability of the Webers is good also because while I won't be lugging them to compete, I probably will store them in a shed or garage.

On the 18 vs. 22" WSM, I am back and forth on that one but I keep reading that the 22" is a behemoth and uses a ton of fuel. I don't plan on competing with the thing so I don't think I'll ever need to feed a ton of people. Typically just the family and maybe a few others. I do want to cook some large briskets and turkeys at times, though. Do you all think the 22" is worth it just for that? Any experience on what sized turkey/briskets the 18" WSM can hold?
I love my 22.5. Have had it for two years and really looking fwd to when it finally warms up here, the wind dies down and it stops raining sideways. You really can't go wrong with a Weber!
I love mine too, but it does use a good bit of fuel. Is it a huge amount more than the 18? I don't think so, but it should use a little more, right?

.BTW

I love mine too, but it does use a good bit of fuel. Is it a huge amount more than the 18? I don't think so, but it should use a little more, right?
Why? It should only use as much as you put in it. I assume you are using the minion method

For the question as to how I rig it for the grill temp - I stick it through a cork from a wine bottle.
I use a 1/2 potatoe, as along has you have the probe go all the way through and have about 2 inches of the probe exposed it will read you chamber temp just fine.
And you guys just leave the cork/potato sitting on the grate?
Yep, see bottom righthttp://public.fotki.com/Meglamaniac/super-bowl/dsc03962.html

For the question as to how I rig it for the grill temp - I stick it through a cork from a wine bottle.
Yep, see bottom righthttp://public.fotki.com/Meglamaniac/super-bowl/dsc03962.html
Now I'm hungry. What Army were you cooking for?

.BTW

Why? It should only use as much as you put in it. I assume you are using the minion method
I do, but I assume the larger space requires more fuel to warm it up and keep it maintained. I've never used an 18

Now I'm hungry. What Army were you cooking for?
Pit vs Ariz Superbowl party

.BTW

I do, but I assume the larger space requires more fuel to warm it up and keep it maintained. I've never used an 18
the WSMs are built so well that it may take a small amount more fuel to get to temp, but nothing more to keep it there, I can't imagine it being more that 10 or so briketts.

Users who are viewing this thread